Sign in to follow this  
essexcanary

bored of croft

croft has really been annoying the hell out me recently

i no he had a gr8 start to the season, but since his injury, he hasnt been the same player at all

never in the box, or at the back stick (what a miss against wolves the one time he is)  and he never cuts in.  him and colin just pass it to each other and neither cut in.   croft is so bloody slow as well!!!  quick off the ball but on it, i reckon i could out run the kid.

if we play 4-3-3 with hucks and croft behind, we need an opposite to hucks, and croft cant offer that anymore, he doesnt cut in enough. he sadly now looks like an average winger, so lets get chadders back in asap when his fit.

i do like the guy, but feel he isnt as good as he can be

He is certainly frustrating at the minute. The trouble is you tend to forget he is only 21 and has only played a handful of games before coming here. He is one for the future. Like you I suspect Chadwick will replace him once he is fully fit.

He looks like a good player and works very hard. I know what you mean, although he looks like he''s lost weight since he''s joined us, he looks like he''s lost the yard of pace to get past peeps and get a pass/cross in. Hope he can get that bit of pace back.

Signing of the season Worthy said. Yeah look what sort of bloody season we''ve had. Croft is average. His effort can''t be faulted he works hard and runs hard. Trouble is his legs seem to go twice as fast as anybody else yet he is half as fast as most fullbacks. Good lad and a good squad player. If all goes to plan I would wish for Chadwick to occupy Crofts position and for Fotheringham to take Etuhu''s We would have the guts of a half decent midflied then. Drury at fullback allowing Lappin to go wide left. Hucks goes up front where he can do most damage and jobs a good un. Croft on the bench as a option and Etuhu on the next train out of Norwich. So he can find a club he wants to play for cos he don’t want to play for us.

Im with thefutureisyellow on this one, pathetic post. Ive heard a lot of people berating Croft just lately, and i totally disagree with it. The only thing that Croft isnt doing at the moment is scoring goals or whipping in deadly crosses like he was at the start of the season, this is why it seems like he''s not playing well. Ok that should be his area of expertise, whipping in crosses, but its not the be all and end all. Huckerby''s crossing was poor on saturday yet for my money he was MOTM. Croft does virtually exactly the same on the right, and whenever he comes forward with the ball you expect something to happen, that might not always be a whipped in Beckham style cross that he should be doing, and was at the start of the season, but he is making an impact. Against Wolves his link up play was superb and he regularly came infield for some short passing with Brown, Saf and Hucks, not too mention his constant link up with Colin so effectively.Agreed he does need to work on getting to the by line and whipping in some more effective crosses, but for me the rest of his game is first class and he gives us such balance, he''s a constant outlet on the right as Hucks is on the left and we no longer just look for the pass left to start an attack.

The issue with me on Croft is not whether he cuts in or not, but the fact that he does actually get into some terrific positions but the final ball is not great. That is what he really needs to work on. With DD and Brown to aim for or Safri/Etuhu/Fotheringham to lay it back to he could be up there in the assists table with Huckerby, but too often the crosses fly to the GK or over everybody''s head. Otherwise I think he''s skilful and exciting and does a good job for us out there- more so than recent incumbents like Hughes/Marney/Bentley/Jonsson.

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]pathetic post[/quote]

and yours wasnt?

I actually agree with whats been said about Croft. he hasnt produced an end product for a while now... perhaps a swift boot up the backside is whats needed...

jas :)

I work with a couple of Man City fans, and they say that Crofty wears his heart on his sleeve - and his legs, 2 yards behind him. I like him, he needs more games under his belt (which is an inch or so smaller - and his weight was lost during his injured period, so good on the lad).

If we survive this season (and I mean that most sincerely folks) once Chadders and the new recruits are suitably refreshed during the close season, we may have a half decent footballing side and, will hopefully compete to achieve more than mid-table mediocrity. 

These type of comments would be better if the person writing them had any idea about football tactics and techniques. Croft''s change of role from wide man in a 4-4-2 to  wide man in a 4-3-3 is totally different. The first sees him in an ''out to in'' position (allowing lots of crosses, cutting inside for shots etc) and the second in an ''in to out'' position (supporting main striker and in a much ''narrower'' position where crosses are much more difficult, they become in effect diagonal passes. Here endeth the lesson from a person who has played over 500 games at a high stadnard for teams such as Wroxham and Lowestoft and is a qualified FA coach.. 

[quote user="Laurie Sheffield"]

These type of comments would be better if the person writing them had any idea about football tactics and techniques. Croft''s change of role from wide man in a 4-4-2 to  wide man in a 4-3-3 is totally different. The first sees him in an ''out to in'' position (allowing lots of crosses, cutting inside for shots etc) and the second in an ''in to out'' position (supporting main striker and in a much ''narrower'' position where crosses are much more difficult, they become in effect diagonal passes. Here endeth the lesson from a person who has played over 500 games at a high stadnard for teams such as Wroxham and Lowestoft and is a qualified FA coach.. 

[/quote]

A bit of a smart arse all round then eh?.............[;)]

[/quote]

We are not worthy!!!

More to the point... are you Worthy????

Oh no.. he played for Wednesday!

He''s got all the badges though [;)]

BTW, how did someone of your undoubted talents come to choose the name of Laurie Sheffield????

Me and my mate who go, could not believe after a few games that Man City let us have him so cheap. I fear that we were watching with rose tinted spectacles now as we were just seeing his mazy runs, not the awful end product. I dont care what you say Laurie, he cannot cross!  In  fact he cant even get it, in the vicinity of the Yellow shirts in the box. We now see how Man City let him go! hopefully he can learn but unfortunately football tends to be a talent that you cant learn.Did you notice that Laurie?

I think when you know something about football you don''t need to justify yourself because if you speak sense then people who know their football will realise it.

FA badges and what not are all very nice but you know something...I''ve passed my driving test but I''m a rubbish driver.

[/quote]

Laurie Sheff , i remember your 1st game for us , you scored a hat trick , but what about your next 8 ,nots so good was it ? i told you all how good Croft was when we sighned him , but i was alone , would a manager who played for England for years at left back , played against the best in the world mind you , chuck away a good right winger ? no i don''t think so , one poster on this board called my post drivel  , well i won''t embarrass him or make him feel awkward or ashamed by name-dropping but its nice too be able to twig a good player or poor one still , Sheff did you get your F .A. badge under someone whose first name was Charlie ? because if it was it don''t count.

[quote user="GJP"]

I''ve passed my driving test but I''m a rubbish driver.

[/quote]

you must be a woman then ;) :p

jas :)

This is all a little harsh isn''t it! Fair enough he seems to have lost a bit of confidence since he came back from injury but he gives his all (which is something that can''t be said about all the team) and clearly has good quality. I for one feel his form will return. I also don''t agree that he and Colin just spend the game passing backwards and forwards to each other. IMO they have a good understanding and its good to see us keep the ball sometimes.

With Chadwick and Croft battleing for the wide right position we are in a much better state than having to put up with Hughes and McVeigh!

Croft is a very good player who has just lost a bit of confidence since his injury, and he is still putting in 100%. once he regains confidence and match fitness he will be a valuable player for us - people shouldn''t be so quick towrite off a good player for us.  

[quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"]Croft only seems to be able to play well in the first half for some reason. He needs more consistency but the skill is undoubtedly there![/quote]

I wonder if that might be because he isn`t fully fit!!!!!

He has not been the same player since coming back from injury but that will return. He works hard on the pitch and in training so it will come.

When he first arrived we had been crying out for a proper winger for so long that even Mark Rivers would probably have created a good impression, I think perhaps I`m going too far here.

Anyway, what I`m saying is I think too many people went overboard when he first arrived and I think when the dust settles after injury we will see he is a reasonably effective player with the desire and time to improve. 

i remeber seeing him at barnesly and he looked a quality player. He also did cut in and allow Hux to move the play forward. But that was before the slump and the team seemed to be in relly good morale.

We will see more of him