Sign in to follow this  
Hartsons Gut

When should Steve Mclaren get sacked?

[quote user="Cobain18"]

"He''s amongst the top half dozen players in the world." What? nutty nigel there is no chance that rooney is amoungst the top half dozen in the world. he''s young and as a result is sometimes inconsistent. to say rooney is in the top half dozen in the world is naive - ronaldinho, messi, henry, drogba, ronaldo, essien, scholes to name a few are as good if not better than rooney. rooney is nowhere in the top half dozen players in the world! 

[/quote]

Surprised you think Essien and Drogba are considered world class over Rooney. For all the goals Drogba gets, he hasn''t got the all round ability Rooney has, this is proven week in week out on MOTD, watch the highlights and admire the variety of goals WR gets from anywhere on the pitch ~ the same can surely not be said Drogba???!. Rooney is certainly world class, he stands out in the Premiership by a country mile alongside Henry and Ronaldo.

McLaren should have never got the job in the first place but once again the FA cocked up this most important job. As somebody else on this thread mentioned, we need a manager who is able to motivate players and who will get that extra 10% out of them to compensate for our lack of technical ability. The two managers who could have done this were both interested in the job, but the FA and the media managed to annoy Scolari enough that he decided against the job and then the FA chose McLaren over Martin O''Neill. Either of those two might have managed to get that bit extra out of our players and enabled them to make the next step in major tournaments. Instead we got McLaren who will end up making Erikkson''s record of three QF''s in a row seem a wotk of genius!

The topic of who''s world class or not is a difficult one. Personally I think Rooney and Gerrard have the potential to become world class but they need to have more of an impact on major tournaments before they can truly be described as world class. How do you define world class? I don''t agree with Nutty who says that you have to get in a World XI to be described as world class. If that were the case you could only have one world class goalkeeper for instance and I''m sure Buffon and Cech would be considered world class by most people. Neither is it who is the best player in the world in their position at any one time, IMO Drogba''s probably the best all round striker in the game at the moment but I wouldn''t consider him world class just yet. To be described as truly world class I think you have to have proved yourself at the highest level (e.g. Champions League, European Champs (or the equivalent) and World Cup) on a fairly regular basis.

IMO McLaren should go now, but it wont solve the problems that the England team face every time they come up against half decent opposition. We need to change our style of football if we''re really going to acheive anything but unfortunately there seems to be no great desire to do this. Just look at the pundits on MOTD during the Spain match. Obsessed by "tempo and getting stuck in" whilst Spain quietly got on with keeping the ball until they had enough space to create a chance. Players get tired, the ball never does, our useless lot would do well to remember that!

Yesterday..........so that there is a chance that we can get some passion in to qualify for the Euro''s

We are in a big danger of not making it and the FA will hang on until its too late.

Phil Neville - why? Barry should have started.

Gary Neville - I cannot abide players who do not sing or at least mime the anthem. To me that is arrogance and passionless.

Lampard looked shocking and lightweight.

Thought Micah Richards showed bite.

Stuart Pearce for England Manager - what he lacks in experiance he makes up for in passion

[quote user="percyvarco"]

Gary Neville - I cannot abide players who do not sing or at least mime the anthem. To me that is arrogance and passionless.

[/quote]

Rubbish, it''s his decision and doesn''t affect the way he plays for England in the slightest. Perhaps, like me, he finds our national anthem embarrasing and passionless and doesn''t agree with any of it''s sentiments.

That doesn''t make him passionless, just fed up with having to bow and scrape before a bunch of unelected, work shy wasters!

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="percyvarco"]

[/quote]

Rubbish, it''s his decision and doesn''t affect the way he plays for England in the slightest. Perhaps, like me, he finds our national anthem embarrasing and passionless and doesn''t agree with any of it''s sentiments.

That doesn''t make him passionless, just fed up with having to bow and scrape before a bunch of unelected, work shy wasters!

[/quote]

I dont understand why that is our national anthem anyway it should be something else, it is rubbish.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="percyvarco"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It really doesn''t matter what any of us think about the anthem, we are stuck with it (i don''t think it is approprite either now that the Uk is divided with parliaments etc) What matters to me is how having pride and passion when wearing the England shirt. I see the non singing as disrespectful.

sadly many of the England players are millionaire prima donnas who see playing for their country as another line on their cv that will attract extra wages and transfer revenue.

And listening to Gary Neville slagging the fans on Thursday is out of order also.

you may be right about all round skill etc. i just think drogba will get a team more points BUT if rooney continues imrpoving and keeps his feet on the floor i agree he will be world class and better than drogba but he needs to be consistently more effective  

[quote user="Shack Attack"]To be described as truly world class I think you have to have proved yourself at the highest level (e.g. Champions League, European Champs (or the equivalent) and World Cup) on a fairly regular basis.[/quote]

So George Best was never world class, despite being considered one of the greatest players of all time?

[quote user="Cobain18"]you may be right about all round skill etc. i just think drogba will get a team more points BUT if rooney continues imrpoving and keeps his feet on the floor i agree he will be world class and better than drogba but he needs to be consistently more effective  [/quote]

Cobain how old are you? you talk rubbish. Rooney was a world class player from day one. A player that costs 25 million is a world class player. United are not stupid how they spend their money.

Drogba is hot and cold. I dont really rate any of the Chelsea forwards. They are to reliant on their midfield.

Cobain18 is spot on if anything hes being to kind to ROONEY, Wayne Rooney is an average player with a ridiculous amount of media hype, i probably wouldn''t even pick him for the England squad, i''d probably just stick him in the U-21''s. His technique is fat, his shooting is woeful, his stupidly inconsistent and never scores all Rooney''s good at is being strong and he can hit the ball hard-which fat English seems to like in a player, I for one would pick Leroy Lita ahead of  Wayne Ronny. As for the rest of England''s team the media and public have distorted view and over rate most players like Lampard, Terry, A Cole and Gerrard, when really you see them against teams, like Spain, and you see how poor technically there are compared to the likes of Cesc Fabregas and David Villa and then we see Carrick blunder forward with the ball and then punt it up to Crouch''s fat head, we must look laughable in comparsion. Anyway I don''t like England.Don''t like McClaren. And wanted Spain to win on Wednesday, in fact I don''t care who England play I always want them to lose because their RANK.

[quote user="ob1"]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]To be described as truly world class I think you have to have proved yourself at the highest level (e.g. Champions League, European Champs (or the equivalent) and World Cup) on a fairly regular basis.[/quote]

So George Best was never world class, despite being considered one of the greatest players of all time?

[/quote]

Fair enough, I was asking for that.....but there are alwayys exceptions!

The point I was trying to make is that the term ''world class'' is bamdied about far to easily these days on players who really have achieved nothing in the world game.

John Terry''s the prime example for me. Listen to the pundits on MOTD or read the papers and you''ll be convinced that he''s world class. Watch a game in Europe though and you''ll see how many times he gets dragged out of position and then made to look stupid by more intelligent players than the ones he comes up against in the Premiership.

[quote user="7rew"]I Own This Club, you might consider signing here...

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/goldanthem/

it is a (very serious) petition to tony blair to change the national anthem. It comes from the governments own petition website.

[/quote]

That''s fantastic, anything to keep our PM occupied and stop him cocking anything else up!

I didn''t sign tbough........if it had been True then that would have been a different matter!

Another person who talks out of his ****. yeah his shooting is really bad. His goal Everton VS Arsenal and the one against Portsmouth, yeah i see exactly what you mean mate.

[quote user="Lonnie Lynn"]

Cobain18 is spot on if anything hes being to kind to ROONEY, Wayne Rooney is an average player with a ridiculous amount of media hype, i probably wouldn''t even pick him for the England squad, i''d probably just stick him in the U-21''s. His technique is fat, his shooting is woeful, his stupidly inconsistent and never scores all Rooney''s good at is being strong and he can hit the ball hard-which fat English seems to like in a player, I for one would pick Leroy Lita ahead of  Wayne Ronny. As for the rest of England''s team the media and public have distorted view and over rate most players like Lampard, Terry, A Cole and Gerrard, when really you see them against teams, like Spain, and you see how poor technically there are compared to the likes of Cesc Fabregas and David Villa and then we see Carrick blunder forward with the ball and then punt it up to Crouch''s fat head, we must look laughable in comparsion. Anyway I don''t like England.Don''t like McClaren. And wanted Spain to win on Wednesday, in fact I don''t care who England play I always want them to lose because their RANK.

[/quote]

Rooney...an average player? Are you out of your mind?!

[quote user="I OWN THIS CLUB"]

Cobain how old are you? you talk rubbish. Rooney was a world class player from day one. A player that costs 25 million is a world class player. United are not stupid how they spend their money.

Drogba is hot and cold. I dont really rate any of the Chelsea forwards. They are to reliant on their midfield.

[/quote]

I guess there are no hard and fast rules as to what makes a player world class so it''s difficult to prove. However, if Rooney costing 25m makes him world class then how can you dispute Drogba who cost 24m. Transfer fees cannot be used as a measuring stick as to the ability of players. Shaun Wright-Phillips went from Manchester City to Chlelsea for Â£21m, does that make him nearly world class?

England have the quality but don''t have the manager to make them play.

Say that Paul Robinson is first choice keeper...he''s ok, a decent keeper but never what you''d call a great keeper.

You''ve then got Gary Neville..you''re not first choice right back for Man Utd and England for pretty much a decade for no reason. Proven quality. And the behind him we''ve got the quite exciting prospect that is Micah Richards.

Centrebacks...this is where we are ridiculously strong - Rio, Terry, Woody, King, Carragher, Dawson and maybe even Sol Campbell! Few countries have anywhere near like that many good defenders.

Left-backs... Ashley Cole isn''t everyones cup of tea but just think about how well he''s stifled C Ronaldo when the 2 nations have met. Then we''ve got Wayne Bridge and Gareth Barry...who are pretty decent players. But then of course McClaren can ruin it by using Phil Neville as a leftback.

Midfielders... we''ve got Steven Gerrard who is pretty much the best all round midfield player in the world. I know people will take offence at such a statement but I don''t know of another midfield player with as much to their game. Then there''s Fat Frank Lampard who''s just the most natural player I''ve ever seen but he''s done well for England in the past. The problem is that Gerrard is a better footballer than Lampard but it''s always seemed like Gerrard is there to compliment Lampard, when really he should be part incharge of midfield.

Then there''s Owen Hargreaves who potentially seems to be the man who could make the England midfield work. Provided either Lampard or Gerrard is dropped. You get the impression that playing Hargreaves in the centre with Gerrard would give us the right balance.

Michael Carrick....some people think he''s an excellent player and some people think he''s very ordinary. I think he''s a good enough player to have in the squad.

Then we''ve got the flair players...Lennon and Joe Cole. Lennons ability to run with the ball and take people on will worry any defender in the world, no matter who they are. And Joe Cole...while not overblessed with pace when he isn''t injured and is in good shape there''s few better players of his type.

Around this we''ve got players like Jenas, Dyer, Barton and Downing who are all good squad players. Not to be forgotten...David Beckham, still has something to offer England.

Upfront we''ve sorely missed Michael Owen. His record speaks for itself, he''s pure class. Peter Crouch is just too average, he''s scored a few goals for England but he never threatens the better sides. Hopefully Dean Ashton will be able to sustain a long period of fitness and replace Crouch. Jermain Defoe, Darren Bent and Andy Johnson are all players that can come off the bench and cause problems. Last but not least...Rooney, him and Ronaldo are probably the 2 best young players at senior level. He''s a constant threat, he can score all sorts of goals and his linkup play is absolutely fantastic. He''s one of the few players around who can combine hard work with outstanding technique. You''d only not think highly of Rooney if you didn''t know anything about football.

So this post has become a bit of an essay but I think my point is that England have a number of very very good players that you''d consider first string and then there''s also a lot of good players on the fringes of things. A good manager would be able to find the right balance in midfield, sadly Steve McClaren is not a good manager.

I own this club why do u need to know how old i am, is that so u can resort to personal attacks to back up your argument? Transfer fees do not make a player world class otherwise shaun wright phillips may be considered world class. Veron went to Man Utd for 28 mil, please try and justify to me that he was world class. im not making out rooney is rubbish, far from it, he is just not world class. Oh and by the way if Drogba is hot and cold - how many goals has he scored this season and how many goals has rooney scored? Rooney is a lot more hot and cold than Drogba right now.

[quote user="Cobain18"] Oh and by the way if Drogba is hot and cold - how many goals has he scored this season and how many goals has rooney scored? Rooney is a lot more hot and cold than Drogba right now.[/quote]

Drogba is a striker and Rooney''s best position is as a linkup player playing in the space between midfield and the forward line. So comparing goal tallies is a bit silly really. Wayne Rooney is a world class player and I bet if you asked Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldinho or Thierry Henry they''d all say the same