Sign in to follow this  
Hartsons Gut

When should Steve Mclaren get sacked?

Watching last nights performance and the reaction from the home support, it seems that patience is already wearing out. Is the lack of patience because he was linked with the old England set-up with a certain Mr Erikson.

The question that i have to ask is why does he play Gerrard, Lampard and others in friendlies when we know what they can already do?

In an England friendly i would start with a complete reserve team. What help did it make bringing Barton on that late?

This England manager has the same kind of feel that Keegan had. I wont expect much from Mclaren.

Phil Neville? What on earth was the point in that?...

Dismissible offence on its own.

If only I cared, just like the players... [<:o)]

Steve Mclaren is a joke just like the England team. Admittedly we''re playing below par under Mclaren but the fact is England are just not good enough to win anything - I think Mclare should be fired but I also think it''s about time the nation realised that Engand aren''t that good compared toother nations they just don''t have the quality!

[quote user="Cobain18"]Steve Mclaren is a joke just like the England team. Admittedly we''re playing below par under Mclaren but the fact is England are just not good enough to win anything - I think Mclare should be fired but I also think it''s about time the nation realised that Engand aren''t that good compared toother nations they just don''t have the quality![/quote]

Cobain i dont agree that we dont have the quality e.g Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Woodgate, Cole. These are world class players.

We have never had enough quality on the coaching side. The FA this time have settled for the cheap option, just like little old Norwich with Grant.

I think our time will come, but not whilst Mclaren is in charge.

I agree we''re playing well well below our confidence. I also agree that we have world class players, I just don''t believe we have the quality to win anything because other teams have more quality in my opinion. Brazil for example have ronaldinho, gilberto, kaka, adriano

Spain have torres, villa, fabregas, xavi, casillas

The list goes on, my point is that I think that in the truly world class teams most of their players would get into our first team, so I think if you make a comparison between us and other teams we re unlikely to win anything.

McClaren is reportedly on a £2.5 million a year contract, so it would be expensive to sack him. However, the good news is that it''s only a 2 year contract, with the option of a further 2 years. If we fail to qualify for the Euro''s I think he''ll be dumped pretty quickly.By the way , it''s worth remembering the FA are still paying Sven something like £13,000 a day. So I can''t see them wanting to pay off another employee just yet.

[quote user="I OWN THIS CLUB"]

Cobain i dont agree that we dont have the quality e.g Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Woodgate, Cole. These are world class players.

[/quote]

Of those only Rooney has got any chance of becoming a "world class" player, and he ain''t one yet!

[quote user="Cobain18"]

I agree we''re playing well well below our confidence. I also agree that we have world class players, I just don''t believe we have the quality to win anything because other teams have more quality in my opinion. Brazil for example have ronaldinho, gilberto, kaka, adriano

Spain have torres, villa, fabregas, xavi, casillas

The list goes on, my point is that I think that in the truly world class teams most of their players would get into our first team, so I think if you make a comparison between us and other teams we re unlikely to win anything.

[/quote]

Brazil lost against Portugal 2-0 and they have less world class players than us now. they are too old.

I dont think that there is any team at the moment who is unbeatable.

Have to say I was disgusted at the appointment to begin with. Very boring choice and he doesn''t seem to have done aything for the team! We played well for the first five minutes in each half last night and that was about it. While we have some good solid players we lack flair players in the mould of villa or figo or ronaldo etc. There are very few players in the team who can make something happen with a sudden bit of magic or if they are capable in the premiership they can''t do it on the international scene!

There are a number of problems with england at the moment

1. Mclaren isn''t a very good choice, is not a great manager and doesnt seem to have the backing of the players. He has picked the wrong players and bases too much on reputation and who their club is.
  2. Englands Players are mostly arrogant, cocky, overpaid pri-madonnas with no sense of pride and patriotism to their country. Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, Jermaine Defoe are examples. This leads to no commitment and perfromance on the pitch.
  3. We do seem to have awful injury problems coupled with no strength in depth. Peter Crouch, Phil Neville, Shaun Wright- Phillips, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
  4. Without Rooney we don''t have 1 decent striker unless Owen proves himself if he ever gets fit which seems altogether unlikely. Crouch cant get a regular game at Liverpool and is held in high regard because of goals against Jamaica, Greece and Trinidad etc, quite frankly Peter Thorne could have scored against such opposition. Defoe cant get a regualar game at Spurs and half of Andy Johnson''s average Prem strike rate are penalties.
  5. We have no good goalkeepers. Robinson has been awful for spurs this year, Foster is unproven and has made errors, Kirkland is injur prone and hasnt stood out this year, James is as calimitous as ever despite his decent shotstopping, Carson is unproven (poor for the under 21''s on tuesday) and Green is number 2 at the high flying west ham!
  6. Lampard and Gerrard 2 of our best 4 players with Terry and Rooney dont play well together. It is like Lampard with Ballack at Chelsea they are only just clicking and ballack isnt the force he was in germany.

He has not solved the problem of playing both Lampard and Gerrard, but then neither did Sven.Last night was an unblanced team, with no natural left sided player until late. The result was a general lurch to the right. Is Phil Neville the best left back we have in the absence of Cole and Bridge? I have never rated him. There were one or two good players - centre backs, Garry Neville, Lampard, Gerrard, but that''s about it. The rest were journeymen who gave the ball away far too often.The idea of playing a 6 foot 7 inch striker, with a midget in Dyer playing alongside, was never going to work. Neither are international quality strikers.Team selection and tactics were very poor. I fear that England will not progress very far under Mclaren.

well i hope ur right I own this club. one thing i know we cna all agree on though is that mclaren is a second rate manager dragging the team down 

[quote user="mbncfc"]

[/quote]

Spot on mbdvdcdvhsncfc......Mindless and pointless.

He''s just Sven mark 2 for me and was a poor choice for manager...but then the FA always tends to go for that type of man as opposed to the Cloughs and Big Sams of this world who might challenge them.

Technically our players are not good...so we need a man who can motivate and drive them on Bulldog style. Maclaren is a loser....and should be sacked sooner rather than later.

I think that the Middlesbrough players were glad to see the back of him, e.g. Maccarone who publicly went to the papers and said his sytle is 20 years out of date.

If he is on that silly money then its very worrying. Big Sam would of been my choice, but he will never be England boss as he speaks his mind and had that transfer scandal. The only reason why Clough was never manager of England is because he told the truth.

The truth hurts the FA.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Of those only Rooney has got any chance of becoming a "world class" player, and he ain''t one yet!

[/quote]

Wayne Rooney is easily what you''d call ''world class''

I''m not one of these people who goes around calling any good player world class but Mr Rooney is definitely that.

He''s amongst the top half dozen players in the world.

Steve McClaren just doesn''t understand the game well enough. I''m sure he''s got a million FA coaching badges but that just doesn''t mean a thing really.

His team selection and setup last night showed just how poor his knowledge is. Everyone, apart from him, could see how unbalanced it was and there was no real threat upfront.

England have a lot of fantastic players amongst the ranks but yet again we''ve got a muppet incharge who doesn''t know what to do with them. It''s not that we''re short on quality, we have as many quality players as the other major international sides. Infact we''re probably better off than most.

Steve Mclaren is a disgrase, I love the way he started his job as the England manager by saying that he wanted to focus on the future so he dropped David Beckham. So when the 1st England squad was announced I was expecting loads of young and fresh faces but instead to my horror there they he was one of the worst England players of all time.... Gary Neville! If Becks was dropped to concentrate on the youngsters coming through why was this waster still in the team? And to see his brother in the starting line up last night was yet another insult!

They have both been a liability from their 1st England performance to their last and the game against Croatia summed it up. Everytime G.Neville got the ball he passed it backward of square or square, always looking for the negative option and then finally he does it once to often!!!! I think he had played around 84 games for England at this stage and his first ever and only England goal was an own goal! This about sums him up!!

Mclaren out and take the Neville brothers with you!!!!

S

You could be right about Rooney GJP but I am not quite sure yet. He could have proved it in Euro 2004 but got injured and then was injured/sent off in the last world cup. I certainly rate him as the best English player, that''s for sure!

But I am sure none of the others are. We won the World Cup in 1966 and argueably only Gordon Banks, Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton were world class. Geoff Hurst scored a hat-trick in the final but I''m not even sure he was a world class striker.

My definition of world class is to be one of the best eleven players in the world.

"He''s amongst the top half dozen players in the world." What? nutty nigel there is no chance that rooney is amoungst the top half dozen in the world. he''s young and as a result is sometimes inconsistent. to say rooney is in the top half dozen in the world is naive - ronaldinho, messi, henry, drogba, ronaldo, essien, scholes to name a few are as good if not better than rooney. rooney is nowhere in the top half dozen players in the world! 

Im sorry but i have to disagree with your comments about Gary Neville. Hes made 550 odd appearances for Man U and 84 for England, if hes such a bad player then how has he achieved that? Hes 31 and still he bombs down the touch line and delivers good consistent crosses.

[quote user="Cobain18"]

"He''s amongst the top half dozen players in the world." What? nutty nigel there is no chance that rooney is amoungst the top half dozen in the world. he''s young and as a result is sometimes inconsistent. to say rooney is in the top half dozen in the world is naive - ronaldinho, messi, henry, drogba, ronaldo, essien, scholes to name a few are as good if not better than rooney. rooney is nowhere in the top half dozen players in the world! 

[/quote]

For me the worlds outstanding footballers are Henry, C Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Sammy Eto''o and Wayne Rooney.

That''s not me disregarding the other players you''ve mentioned. Paul Scholes is an absolute genius and Messi is wonderfully talented.

But make no mistake about it....Wayne Rooney is amongst the very best. It''d be foolish and ignorant to think otherwise.

if it gets any worse, you''ll get england fans on the pitch chucking down their season tickets in front of the dug out!luckily i tuned in on 89 mins last night so didn''t suffer too much, i saw 1 of our 2 on target efforts from crouch, rightly described by lineaker as a back pass - the panel panned the match.

[quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"][quote user="mbncfc"]

[/quote]

Spot on mbdvdcdvhsncfc......Mindless and pointless.

He''s just Sven mark 2 for me and was a poor choice for manager...but then the FA always tends to go for that type of man as opposed to the Cloughs and Big Sams of this world who might challenge them.

Technically our players are not good...so we need a man who can motivate and drive them on Bulldog style. Maclaren is a loser....and should be sacked sooner rather than later.

[/quote]

Oh dear, I am going to agree with you........

I totally agree we need to someone to motivate and importantly organise these England players.  We have struggled so many times against poor opposition merely because they were more organised than we were.

Clough one said about the England job, "I''m sure the England selectors thought if they took me on and gave me the job, I''d want to run the show. They were shrewd because that''s exactly what I would have done".  We desperately need the sort of manager like Clough, Ferguson etc who will show anyone the door, no matter who they are, if they do not do what''s expected.  Someone who will do the dirty work and not care if they upset anyone.

England need someone to come in with a new broom but Mclaren is making the same massive mistake as Sven.  It''s Lampard or Gerrand, not and.  He needs to make a choice for the overal balance of the team.  It''s no mistake that the best games either have played for England has been when the other is not there.  Everyone can see this unless you are England manager.

[quote user="Cobain18"]

[/quote]

Good call on Scholes Cobain. I still think he is the best English midfielder, but not quite world class in the way I''d define it.

However I don''t think you will find it was me that said Rooney was world class or that he was amongst the top six players in the world. Rooney has it all to prove on the world stage, he still could, but it seems just as he should be doing it the rest of the side are going backwards.

I always have a problem with this "who do you think is the best player in the world" question. My son (who thinks I know what I''m talking about...bless him) often brings this up.

If we say Ronaldinho....then that really only covers one aspect of the game. If we say Buffon or Petr Cech....it only covers the position of goalkeeper. Pele, Puskas, Best and Bobby Moore were all great in their own way.....so really there can be no real "definitive" best ever player can there?

As for England....one or two would make a World eleven at their very best.....but in turn would need "their sort of player" around them to make them stand out.

England wont qualify for the Euros.. its got nothing to do with McLaren or Erikkson Either.. England are individuals.. not a team.. they arent as good as the press are deluded into thinking. theres too many Ego''s to many people saying "i play for England so i must be special" until they learn to play as a team England will never win another Trophy.

They wont Qualify.. Croatia will... and Russia, Isreal or Macedonia will make the playoffs...

Could Scotland be getting the support of england next summer as they venture out for their 1st tournament in years? time will tell

jas :)

Until we get a midfielder who can create chances and actually pass the ball rather than resorting to a long hoick the english game will continue to stagnate.

The english midfield is packed full of players who can run hard for 180 minutes shoot frequently and hit the net occassionally and hit a long ball purporting to be a pass which when made by any other team than the big four would be called direct wimbledon style football.  Being a star in Hello mag and writing autobiographies does not make you and england footballer.  Joey Barton isnt the answer either - he is another running man.

Sky and the media in general over rate too many of our players.  We have some decent players but precious few world class players,  to be world class you are in the top 11 most desirable - with only Hargreaves playing outside of england how desirable are our players?

Of the current squad only Rio, Rooney and Gerrard are near world class, the spine of a very good team (you dont need 1 world class players to be the worlds best team)  When Lennon and Cole return we have some creativity and with Hargreaves a midfielder who can genuinely defend and pass at international level.  Add in Gerrard going forward and we have a decent midfield.

Of the back ups Lampard is like Ian Wright - excellent at top club level but woefully inadequate for England;  until the manager is prepared to defy the media and make that decision we will continue to have a misbalanced midfield and continue to focus on running miles over playing football. Parker, Dyer, Jenas - simply not good enough and Carricks well regarded passing always seems to go missing for england (or whenever I watch him for Manure come to that ) and without that he is a slow defencive midfielder who cant defend.  We must move away from high tempo hoofing.  We do need a play maker but there isnt even one on the horizon.   How much impact would an englishman with half the creativity of a zidane, deco, ronaldo, ronaldinho have on our front two? 

The defence is sound and even Phil Neville is a ok - as a stand in - not great but without A Cole and Bridge there are no better alternatives.  Up front we do struggle but owen and rooney and owen and crouch do look like partnerships - rooney and crouch does not.  Defoe is another Ian Wright;  which leaves us with Bent and Ashton as the future hopes.  Beyond Robinson the GK spot looks equally weak.

With that we are good enough to be a top 10 team but no where near good enough to be world champions.  Will sacking McLaren change that?  Not if we insist on appointing another english/british manager - but thats another story.    

[quote user="I OWN THIS CLUB"]

[quote user="Cobain18"]Steve Mclaren is a joke just like the England team. Admittedly we''re playing below par under Mclaren but the fact is England are just not good enough to win anything - I think Mclare should be fired but I also think it''s about time the nation realised that Engand aren''t that good compared toother nations they just don''t have the quality![/quote]

We have never had enough quality on the coaching side. The FA this time have settled for the cheap option, just like little old Norwich with Grant.

I think our time will come, but not whilst Mclaren is in charge.

[/quote]

I couldnt agree more with what you are saying.  We do have the quality I just think the problem is with the incentive for the players.  There''s no pride to play any more even for your country.  Lets face it we see players playing with no pride or passion week after week.  Its the same for our so called international players.  The problem in my view is the simple fact that they are over paid and get their wages reardless of how they perform.  What other profession do you know pays their workers even if they are poor performers. They may get dropped from the first team but hey who cares cause they still get paid the same over inflatted wages.  Whats more in their favour (players) is that clubs like ours dont have the strength in depth to drop poor performing players cause we just dont have anyone to replace them all.  All in all this attitude has festered in English football untill we got this greedy, prideless, self centred "professional" called players.  The answer is wage capping, performance related bonuses and limiting (like we used to) the amount of foreign players in our clubs so the English game came regenerate and thrive like it used to. The football bubble is bursting mark my words...!

Rant over!