Sign in to follow this  
Kenning

Jim Bone

Well it''s snowing hard enough here in the Midlands for me to say no to getting into work and so lets take a day off.

The recent threads about the Scottish influx made me think about Jim Bone who came down from Bonny Scotland. Arbroath?? Not sure.

I was at the first game we had in the old First Division against Everton which ended in a 1-1 draw and I reckon it was Jim that got the goal.

I also remember that after a lovely sunny start, there was an absolute downpour and I ended up leaving the River end completely soaked for the 3 hour trip back.

He linked up with David Cross for most of his time and lead to one Easter time head line in the Pink of the ''Hot Cross Bone show'' after a good win.

Not sure what happened to him after that tho.

[quote user="Kenning"]

Well it''s snowing hard enough here in the Midlands for me to say no to getting into work and so lets take a day off.

The recent threads about the Scottish influx made me think about Jim Bone who came down from Bonny Scotland. Arbroath?? Not sure.

I was at the first game we had in the old First Division against Everton which ended in a 1-1 draw and I reckon it was Jim that got the goal.

I also remember that after a lovely sunny start, there was an absolute downpour and I ended up leaving the River end completely soaked for the 3 hour trip back.

He linked up with David Cross for most of his time and lead to one Easter time head line in the Pink of the ''Hot Cross Bone show'' after a good win.

Not sure what happened to him after that tho.

[/quote]

Only just started snowing here so it might be a dodgey trip home tonight. Luckily us semi-retired folk can sit in the warm with a nice cup of coffee.

I remember the game you speak of very well. Jim Bone put us one up but Joe Royal equalised in the second half. The following game was a mid week match at Ipswich and he scored again in a 2-1 victory. My most vivid memory of him was his first home game against Sunderland. He picked up the ball on the halfway line, surged past a couple of defenders and sent a stinging 30 yarder against the bar. It was typical of his type of player.

Jim was a very direct player and a real crowd pleaser. We used to sing "Jimmy Bone Superstar" and he was always waving to the crowd to get the noise levels up.

I think he finished his career back in Scotland. I think we last saw him at Carrow Road a few years ago when he came down for a players reunion.

Yes he certainly was a memorable character, with his mazy runs, beating man after man, he was a breath of fresh air to us at that time, in fact I would venture to say he was the "Hucks" of his day and remains one of my most favourite all time City players.

Bone came from Partick Thistle and was shipped out to Sheffield Utd in a part exchandge deal involoving Trevor Hockey.

He scored one of the most memorable goals I have ever seen by anyone in a yellow shirt in a 1-3 1st Division defeat at Stamford Bridge in a league game, a few days before the historic Paddon inspired 2-0 League Cup semi-final 1st leg win on the same ground.

He picked up the ball on the halfway line and set off on a mazy run seemingly beating half the Chelsea team before finally ending up with only the keeper to beat which he did with some aplomb.

Even at the time I wondered if what I saw really happened!

I''d love to hear any corroboration (or otherwise) from any other City supporter present.

Ah yes I remember Trevor Hockey coming in. One of a few buys to try and fend off relegation .Colin Suggett another I think.

They were all Cup-tied  so the League Cup final team was a pretty patched up one. Memory is not so good. Was this the defeat to Spurs with the Ralph Coates goal. If so I was there for that one. We were never really in it.

Wasnt at Stamford Bridge but I can remember hearing about Paddons goals,  I was over the moon.Saw plenty of him at Coventry which is local to me and always rated him. Mick Mcguire must have taken the same move around that time. Did Paddon move in part ex with David Cross?

I think we''re getting some crossed wires here. Graham Paddon scored a hat-trick against Arsenal at Highbury in the quarter-final of the League Cup that year before Jimmy Bone and David Cross got the goals against Chelsea in the semi first leg. I only escaped from Stamford Bridge with my mate by feigning an Irish accent! Let''s not get into the mayhem surrounding the second leg which was a pitched battle in the Barclay and then the match was abandoned because of fog! Great player, though, Jimmy Bone - a real crowd-pleaser in a pretty dour but often effective Ron Saunders'' team.

Neil Mellor was another of the three players recruited to stave off relegation.

It was the Ralph Coates Final goal which thankfully prevented the horrors of an awful game continuing into extra time!

Think you''ll find David Cross got both in the semi-final 1st leg - Paddon had the game of his life in midfield.

Paddon moved in part exchange with Ted Macdougall.

Bernard wrote :-

"He picked up the ball on the halfway line and set off on a mazy run seemingly beating half the Chelsea team before finally ending up with only the keeper to beat which he did with some aplomb."

Yes Bernard I was at the first match and witnessed that goal, I remember joking with the Chelsea supporters that we would be back the following week to get revenge, which as you say we duly did. Unfortunatley I was unable to attend that one.

That of course was in the days when opposing supporters could mingle without trouble and the ordinary man in the street could easily afford the "top" league teams admission prices.(yes even Chelsea''s)

If memory serves me well I seem to recall the London Standard''s headlines outside the ground saying that Chelsea had signed a "Goal Machine !" which turned out to be Jimmy Greaves (then in the youth team) getting a professional contract.

[quote user="Kenning"]

Wasnt at Stamford Bridge but I can remember hearing about Paddons goals,  I was over the moon.Saw plenty of him at Coventry which is local to me and always rated him. Mick Mcguire must have taken the same move around that time. Did Paddon move in part ex with David Cross?

[/quote]

I think your memory is playing tricks Ken.

Paddon came to City from Coventry in 1969 (£25k) and Cross came from Rochdale in 1971. He cost us £40k.

Mick McGuire came much latter during John Bonds reign. I think it was 1975 and the fee was about 50 or 60k.

I was at Stamford Bridge and had to run the guantlet of Chelsea fans on the London Underground. I was fast in those days and got back to Liverpool St in one piece. A very happy train ride back to Norwich though and lots of singing at Ipswich station Ha Ha.

Ah, Jimmy Bone '' Superstar '' ....... when watching City was fun.....no sponsored rip-off shirts merchandise, no peculiar TV match times, terracing ( or queuing for an hour-and-a-half if you wanted to sit down ), no corporate '' love-ins '', defenders taking no prisoners......... makes one go all '' misty-eyed ''!!

Jimmy was one of my all-time favourites too, Gorleston Jim. I well remember him scoring our first ever First Division ( now The Premiership ) goal in our first game, against Everton, at the Barclay End..... I think the ball bobbled into the net off his knee, but who cares ? He had already established a good understanding with fellow striker David Cross in the previous promotion season and his style was a head down 100mph charge.......not a passer of the ball at all. Often both he and Cross would score in the same game, which they so very timely did in April1972, prompting that all time classic '' Pink-Un '' headline from the Easter 2-0 win at Charlton, " Hot Cross Bone Day " so fondly remembered by poster Kenning. The duo had earlier both scored goals in the first 15 minutes in the 2-0 League Cup Semi-Final First Leg at Stamford Bridge. Sadly, arriving late, I missed both ........

It all went wrong for Jimmy when he had a falling-out with manager Ron Saunders shortly after City had booked their first ever Wembley appearance. Saunders, always a man to bear grudges, obstinately refused to play Jimmy at Wembley, or indeed, very much again at all. His place in the League Cup Final was taken by the hapless Jim Blair, another Scot, who, unlike Jimmy, features regularly in '' Worst City Player of all Time'' polls.

As Bernard Futter points out '' Superstar''s '' Norwich City career ended that same season when he was was transferred to Sheffield United for around £90,000, from where he made a few more appearances for the Blades at Carrow Road. Strangely I recall he was always roundly booed on those occasions, perhaps as a result of his spat with Saunders, but sad nonetheless. Fickle fans......

Ricardo wrote that he thought Jimmy had returned to Carrow Road for one of the retired '' Legends '' get-togethers but I don''t think he ever has returned. After retirement he went into football management in Scotland and was always '' too busy '' to return but I think the manner of his parting had damaged his relationship with the club. Strangely, I don''t believe Ron Saunders has ever returned to these parts socially either........

Earlier I mentioned '''' defenders taking no prisoners " and Bernard Futter recalled the late, great, Trevor Hockey, who arrived as part of Jimmy''s transfer to Bramall Lane. Hockey looked, and played, like a caveman. Squat, with full beard and long hair clamped in a headband, he certainly took no prisoners and famously proclaimed on his arrival, " I don''t care how many times I get booked as long as we stay up " . He did -- in four consecutive matches -- and we did ( just ).

The thought of one of HIS tackles is enough to make us go all '' misty-eyed '' again.........

Jim Bone was a bit before my time.

SNOWWATCH

Sheringham has seen constant sleet between 11.00 and 2.00 this afternoon with the odd snowflake. No such luck for me ''kenning'', Sheringham College was open as per usual and the only only settling snow came on the astro-turf. TYPICAL

Yes ricardo I remember being more than averagely worried when Chelsea ''supporters'' staggered by their teams loss only a few days after the 3-1 victory, started running from one side of the tube carriage interior to the other in an attempt one imagines to derail it.

This thread illustrates just how well the Club did for many years recruiting players for a song from below stairs or Division 1 squads.

I for one can hardly believe that these nuggets are not still there to be unearthed today.

Guess we don''t look!

Thanks for all the replies and also thanks for putting me right on all the transfer date errors.

I remember them all joining/playing and moving on but can never remember the years when they happened.

Well I was only few years out on the Paddon/Cross moves and thats not bad for me.

Maybe Brown and Earnie will produce the same Big man - Little man combo as Cross and Bone.

Well I might have a bad memory but I can still hope.

Does show that we have done some trade with Coventry players tho

Paddon, Mcguire, Hucks and Dion in

Cross, Rosario, Bellamy and O''Neill out to my reckoning

Great thread this for us oldies!

I remember Jimmy Bones debut and those mazy runs. He quickly became a fans favourite and he thrilled us much like Hucks does now.

I was at Highbury for the 3-0 win and Graham Paddons hat-trick but unfortunately I didn''t see the 2-0 win at Stamford Bridge and missed that goal! Does anybody remember that the first leg at Stamford Bridge was originally postponed? My Mascot Coach was actually on the way out of Norwich when the news came through it was off. Then I couldn''t get to the rearranged game, talk about feeling gutted!

That same season we played Leeds in the third round of the FA Cup. We drew 1-1 at Carrow Road and then we drew 1-1 at Elland Road AET. The second replay was at Villa Park and Leeds were awesome that night and stuffed us 5-0. I went to that game on the train and remember Villa Park Station after the game where we were hopelessly outnumbered by the Leeds fans on the opposite platform. For those minutes until the train came I was probably relieved that we had lost!

As for Jimmy Bones parting, I was always under the impression that the falling out was with another Norwich player who left the club at that time.

Jimmy Bone was way before my team but was a favourite for my Dad and we bumped into him on holiday in Northern Ireland when I was a kid. He was running a sports shop there, and when he heard we were from Norwich he chatted to us for ages and gave me and my brother Carrick Rangers scarves, which were the team he managed on the weekends. Top Man!

I remember being really annoyed that Jim Bone was transfered just before the final. We might have had a chance with him in the side, we were pretty toothless on the day. On a side note, does anyone remember the sun 3d football cards? Jim Bone''s is possibly the rarest and rarely surfaces even on ebay.

have supported city for 40 years and enjoyed watching jimmy bone playing for us,was always an entertaining and enthusastic player.          he had to leave city after a falling out with a team mate,about 4 years ago i went up to scotland and took in my original local team qos v stenhousemuir. turned out to be good as we won 4-1 and went on to win promotion but also got to meet stenys manager a certain jimmy bone who said he enjoyed his time at carrow road.   think he now has a job working at partick thistle f.c. where he started his carear before city signed him for about 40,000.