Sign in to follow this  
The Judge

Sheff Weds - Four groups in takeover talks

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

the whole Difference between us and the "wens''deh" is that they are perceived by fans, management, and board as a Big club.

our board see us as a little club pottering about always smiling.. thats why people want Wednesday and not us... they see potential in a club that wants to go somewhere...

jas :)

[/quote]

Perhaps they see a has been as better than a never was.

Painful to swallow but true none the less.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"]

The whole point is that if Delia and MWJ  "love"  this club as much as they and others claim....why are they so content to see City potentially relegated and wallowing in obscurity before considering handing over the reigns?

It''s all about money....and all about Delia''s business empire....so the argument about valuation only goes to show how "investment" here way over-rides "sentiment". It''s a good job Geoffrey Watling never saw it this way.......

I repeat that I would not invest a penny in this club while the current "dictatorial" situation stands...and only a mug would do so. Millionaires......it goes without saying are not mugs. 

Stalemate and stagnate are the key words at Carrow Road right now.

[/quote]

If its all about money why would Delia and MWJ be content to see a relegation that reduces the value of their investment? That arguement seems to be totally illogical.

As to the advisability of investing money in football, I guess you could say that we supporters are all mugs. There is no guarentee that money brings success. There are six or seven teams in this league who have spent a lot of money this season, gambling on promotion but only three will go up.

I just think its far to simplistic to say that if we invest 5 or 6 million in new players we will automatically go up. History is littered with examples of clubs getting out of their depth financially. Whoever the stewards of our club turn out to be I believe their first duty is to ensure we continue to have a viable club for the forseeable future and not just today.

Personally I don''t care who owns the club as long as they make every reasonable attempt to progress. At the moment I would have agree that the present reigeme seem a bit like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

[/quote]

The reason DS and Co are content to sit it out is that the present level of championship football meets their needs. The cost of running a club at this level is much less than the Premiership....and if "prudently" run, with large gates....they are chuckling. Ambition is something we fans have...not the Board.

If gates plummet....and the teams flops........watch them call in as much cash as they can on their way out of the door. Having said that though....there is nothing wrong with this strategy at all....as it makes business sense.....However, we''re constantly being led to believe that NCFC means "much more than that" to DS......and it is this particular "myth" I would like to see brought out into the open.

Judge!! your point about Delias statement is exactly right IMO. It was a conditional statement and not an openmarket statement.  (You can buy our club at our price with these conditions) unfortunately we are not privy to those conditions therefore as said previously cannot decide whether they are favourable or not to NCFC.  So again we are biting at the bit and are short of facts unfortunately.

What it amounts to sadly is that we have not got the financial clout that we need.  However it is not impossible to achieve if we wait long enough, even with the present board.  Best wishes are in order I think.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="ricardo"]

Agreed that it was a long time ago Smudge, but thats what the word Historically means. The honours they have won are just as relevant as those won by Norwich City in the same period of time.

I have never said that Norwich can not be a top flight team. My analysis is that we are the equal of a lot of teams with top flight ambition Derby, Ipswich, Sunderland, W.B.A. Coventry, Notts Forest, Southampton etc.

We have no more God given right to be in the top league than they have and no better backing in terms of crowd potential. I would also imagine that their supporters also think that they deserve to be top flight. Unfortunately there are only eighteen teams in the top league and Norwich, along with all those I have mentioned will only achieve that in their best years.

[/quote]

Hmmm, none of the clubs you list can sell out their grounds,and probably wont until promotion is virtually guaranteed-just look at Sheff.Utd and Reading last season. We,on the other hand, still have more season ticket holders than any of those clubs and can sell out a game 2 weeks in advance (Leeds) despite the team being asset-stripped and performing dreadfully since we were relegated. Ever considered what the demand would be if we were actually any good? Even our board have stated that demand was there for regular 35,000 crowds over the last few years.

The Birmingham clubs are a good example of why this argument of "its a bigger city,so it must be a bigger club" is totally flawed. Wolves,Birmingham and West Brom all struggle to sell 20,000 seats per game yet they are all regarded as much bigger clubs than Norwich because they are in Englands second City. The fact is is that they are all competing-along with Villa and to a lesser extent Coventry and Walsall-for a small slice of a big pie. City,on the other hand, draw support from an area with a population of over 1 million (Norfolk+Waveney area of Suffolk) with very little in the way of competition. I think it is pretty obvious which is the best position to be in.

As Smudger has said the smallest thing about NCFC is the mindset of alot of its supporters-and unfortunately the people currently running the club.

[/quote]

Exactly MR CARROW...

I was born in the Midlands and know for a fact that maybe with the exception of Aston Villa there is no club there with as much potential as Norwich City right now...

Even my brothers girlfriend (a Walsall fan) has apparantly said that she can''t believe that some of these clubs in the Midlands think that they are big.  When the clamour for tickets at Carrow Road in recent years, despite the c**p served up to the paying is second to none.

YES we are a bigger club than Nottingham Forest, Derby County, Birmingham City, Wolves, West Brom, Leicester, Coventry and the two Sheffield Clubs...  We just need our fans to start believing that fact and demanding that we have a board at the helm that recognises that with a little ambition we can achieve great things!!!

[quote user="beelsie"]

Judge!! your point about Delias statement is exactly right IMO. It was a conditional statement and not an openmarket statement.  (You can buy our club at our price with these conditions) unfortunately we are not privy to those conditions therefore as said previously cannot decide whether they are favourable or not to NCFC.  So again we are biting at the bit and are short of facts unfortunately.

What it amounts to sadly is that we have not got the financial clout that we need.  However it is not impossible to achieve if we wait long enough, even with the present board.  Best wishes are in order I think.

[/quote]

Well any new investor has to be a NCFC fan living in the county of Norfolk according to what Doncaster told me only a few weeks or so prior to Delia making her infamous statement.

Weeks and weeks of careful planning went in to Delia''s statement...  She has no intention of selling up no matter what offer is put on the table right now.

The statement was a ploy used by the current board to buy a bit of time with the fans hoping that we can scramble to safety in the coming months and keep the fans on side with yet more lies of who we are going to sign and how we are going to build a squad capable of challenging for promotion next season given to us in the summer!!!

[quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"][

The reason DS and Co are content to sit it out is that the present level of championship football meets their needs. The cost of running a club at this level is much less than the Premiership....and if "prudently" run, with large gates....they are chuckling. Ambition is something we fans have...not the Board.

If gates plummet....and the teams flops........watch them call in as much cash as they can on their way out of the door. Having said that though....there is nothing wrong with this strategy at all....as it makes business sense.....However, we''re constantly being led to believe that NCFC means "much more than that" to DS......and it is this particular "myth" I would like to see brought out into the open.

[/quote]

An honest analysis Cluck and you may very well be correct in your assumptions but would you be prepared to speculate a fortune on nothing more than a possibility of success. I seem to remember that Wolves had a backer with very deep pockets but long term success for them remains as ellusive as ever.

I just don''t see queues of multi-millionaires lining up to take Norwich City on. IF delia put up the club for sale tomorrow are we really likely to be in a better position.

As I said Cluck, you could be proved right but at this moment I remain unconvinced.

[quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"]

The whole point is that if Delia and MWJ  "love"  this club as much as they and others claim....why are they so content to see City potentially relegated and wallowing in obscurity before considering handing over the reigns?

It''s all about money....and all about Delia''s business empire....so the argument about valuation only goes to show how "investment" here way over-rides "sentiment". It''s a good job Geoffrey Watling never saw it this way.......

I repeat that I would not invest a penny in this club while the current "dictatorial" situation stands...and only a mug would do so. Millionaires......it goes without saying are not mugs. 

Stalemate and stagnate are the key words at Carrow Road right now.

[/quote]

If its all about money why would Delia and MWJ be content to see a relegation that reduces the value of their investment? That arguement seems to be totally illogical.

As to the advisability of investing money in football, I guess you could say that we supporters are all mugs. There is no guarentee that money brings success. There are six or seven teams in this league who have spent a lot of money this season, gambling on promotion but only three will go up.

I just think its far to simplistic to say that if we invest 5 or 6 million in new players we will automatically go up. History is littered with examples of clubs getting out of their depth financially. Whoever the stewards of our club turn out to be I believe their first duty is to ensure we continue to have a viable club for the forseeable future and not just today.

Personally I don''t care who owns the club as long as they make every reasonable attempt to progress. At the moment I would have agree that the present reigeme seem a bit like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

[/quote]

[/quote]

You and I both know that to be true don''t we Cluck???  [Y]

Hey have you checked your private messages out Cluck?  I sent you one asking you about your business that you often refer to.

I am currently trying to set up in business myself... trying to push the boat out and get as much of a financial loan as possible at the moment (you know that is my style)  [;)] so am getting some help off NWES.

CJF what you say is conjecture and founded on hopes.  You are well aware that whatever and whenever we spend money on players.  You can never depend on how they will perform, or if indeed they will.  Maybe in the future I can hope that we buy players with undoubted talent who will perform to 90% of their potential regularly.  Also spending more than you earn as did the two clubs in question leads you into debt.  Then we would be in the embarrassing situation of having to pay our suppliers 10P in the pound until the year dot.  I think that the majority of fans would rather we play our football and pay our bills and reach a level that we can sustain within our financial constraints.  That is the way I believe I can enjoy being a spectator as well as remain a fan.  Some on here expect that Delia and co will fork out more personal money for players.  I for one hope she doesn''t, as far as I am concerned the club should be able to buy the players it can afford, and play at the level they deserve to be at.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="ricardo"]

Agreed that it was a long time ago Smudge, but thats what the word Historically means. The honours they have won are just as relevant as those won by Norwich City in the same period of time.

I have never said that Norwich can not be a top flight team. My analysis is that we are the equal of a lot of teams with top flight ambition Derby, Ipswich, Sunderland, W.B.A. Coventry, Notts Forest, Southampton etc.

We have no more God given right to be in the top league than they have and no better backing in terms of crowd potential. I would also imagine that their supporters also think that they deserve to be top flight. Unfortunately there are only eighteen teams in the top league and Norwich, along with all those I have mentioned will only achieve that in their best years.

[/quote]

Hmmm, none of the clubs you list can sell out their grounds,and probably wont until promotion is virtually guaranteed-just look at Sheff.Utd and Reading last season. We,on the other hand, still have more season ticket holders than any of those clubs and can sell out a game 2 weeks in advance (Leeds) despite the team being asset-stripped and performing dreadfully since we were relegated. Ever considered what the demand would be if we were actually any good? Even our board have stated that demand was there for regular 35,000 crowds over the last few years.

The Birmingham clubs are a good example of why this argument of "its a bigger city,so it must be a bigger club" is totally flawed. Wolves,Birmingham and West Brom all struggle to sell 20,000 seats per game yet they are all regarded as much bigger clubs than Norwich because they are in Englands second City. The fact is is that they are all competing-along with Villa and to a lesser extent Coventry and Walsall-for a small slice of a big pie. City,on the other hand, draw support from an area with a population of over 1 million (Norfolk+Waveney area of Suffolk) with very little in the way of competition. I think it is pretty obvious which is the best position to be in.

As Smudger has said the smallest thing about NCFC is the mindset of alot of its supporters-and unfortunately the people currently running the club.

[/quote]

Exactly MR CARROW...

I was born in the Midlands and know for a fact that maybe with the exception of Aston Villa there is no club there with as much potential as Norwich City right now...

Even my brothers girlfriend (a Walsall fan) has apparantly said that she can''t believe that some of these clubs in the Midlands think that they are big.  When the clamour for tickets at Carrow Road in recent years, despite the c**p served up to the paying is second to none.

YES we are a bigger club than Nottingham Forest, Derby County, Birmingham City, Wolves, West Brom, Leicester, Coventry and the two Sheffield Clubs...  We just need our fans to start believing that fact and demanding that we have a board at the helm that recognises that with a little ambition we can achieve great things!!!

[/quote]

So we are a bigger club than League champions, F.A. cup winners and even two time European Champions. OH! if it were only true Smudger. Laughable is the only word I can think of for this claim. We have won precious little in our history and can''t even claim to be bigger than our nearest rivals. Ipswich have achieved more than us and in a shorter time span. Wishfull thinking will never beat trophys in the cupboard.

I would concede that we are on a par with a few of those named above but to claim we are bigger is to enter the realms of fantasy. We have never been bigger in my lifetime of supporting Norwich. I can only hope for your sake that you live long enough to see it happen.

[quote user="ricardo"]

I am sorry Mr. Carrow but your plea for seniority over the likes of Leeds, Wolves, W.B.A. etc just does not hold water historically. You are talking about clubs with League championships and F.A. Cup wins to their credit. Something Norwich City unfortunately have never achieved. In the light of that, Norwich Citys ability to play to near full houses appears more of a triumph of hope over reality.

We may not like it and we may think we deserve better but the plain fact remains (and history has proved) that we are in a pack of a dozen or so clubs that can only achieve top flight status on a temporary basis. I had hoped that our good run in the eighties and early nineties might change this but as with the likes of Ipswich, we were unable to sustain it.

I am sure you don''t need me to remind you that Ipswich HAVE won a championship an F.A. Cup and a European Trophy and historically their gates have been similar to ours. Every claim you make regarding population and area can be equally applied to them. You could even make the same claim for Plymouth Argyle a city with twice the population of Norwich and a similar rural hinterland.

If it were just a case of mindset we could will it to be different but unfortunately the cold reality is we are a second flight club with top flight pretensions.  It is nothing to be ashamed of and I look forward with pleasure to our next promotion to the big league, as do the supporters of Ipswich, Wolves, Derby and all those other clubs on a similar level to us.

[/quote]

I have to agree with this - there are relatively few sides whose supporters don''t think their side is ''big'', either within their division or in terms of football in general, and they all have plenty of back up available to ''prove'' it; it is part of being a supporter that you expect better than you are getting from your side if they aren''t winning/in the top flight - if you didn''t want that you''d be mad. 

Re: Wednesday, they are my second side as my Mrs is from up there.  The simple fact about population is that Sheffield is the 6th biggest city in the country with a population of c600k, the entire county of Norfolk''s is 800k.  If you want a ''sleeping giant'' you really could look no further, and they are ripe for investment.  That''s not to say we aren''t - but we are a different proposition in many ways.  As for the ground, it is one of my favourites, rather than being run down - it is amazing how people''s opinions differ!! - It has plenty of character and a huge kop end, though I guess the away end is a bit pants. 

Just something to consider, though - one of my best mates is a Brighton fan, and if you are looking for a side similar to us they are quite a good one in many ways, they have a strong history in Div 3 South and then alternating between Divs 2 and 1, maybe not with our ''pedigree'' but not far off in terms of recent playing ability - but that is my point: they are a prime indication of how things can go tits up if you get the wrong guy in...I can''t be bothered to go into the details but basically they got someone in who ended up only being  interested in selling their ground, which really left them shafted and they had to share with Gillingham for several seasons, and are only just recovering.  It can easily work both ways.

Private messages?.......I didn''t know there was such a thing on here. God...I bet I''ve got some belters on there if I cared to look!............I will investigate!.............[:)]

[quote user="Stephen Frys Evil Twin"]

Sorry, remind me who''s being naive...

I think you''d be hard-pushed to find a single club amongst the top 92 that isn''t on the lookout for outside investment.

[/quote]

I don''t think you read my post correctly. Ofcourse our club is looking for more investment as do all clubs, its just that they don''t tend to go looking for new owners unless the conditions also previously mentioned are met.

With Sunderland the jury still has to be out, they were bought out by a consortium lead by Nial Quin - who has the club close to his heart. A bit like a consortium lead by Iwan taking over our club, the problem is he has made a couple of blunders this season as well as successes not to mention having found strong funding.

However considering Sunderland is of similar stature to Middlesborough and Leeds you do have to wonder.

I don''t think the real problem lies with fans that feel Norwich is a small club - this was not the case the season we went up. Infact it was more an attitude developed in that season as we found it hard to compete financially as we were still working on a 1st Division budget as you get very little money up front for promotion considering most of the money comes from Sky in installments over the season. In some ways I would prefer to have one season of Parachutes and an extra £6million up front for promotion to give teams more of a chance.

Back on point I believe that the people who are pointing fingers and saying you should not be saying that this is not a big club are infact in some sort of denial. For example, I believe that God exhists (sorry to bring the religion argument up here) and I know a lot of people who don''t. But we don''t need to argue about it because there is simply no point.

I don''t care whether you think the club is big, small, medium, fat, tall, spotty, hairy or not green and yella it is absoloutly no excuse not to get behind your team or to turn on other members of the fanbase.

This argument is another rediculus excercise in a long list of attempted attacks on the club which have no basis. Apparently the club should be looking for new majority shareholders - who says they arn''t? Why should they look? Surely they would invite investors and if one was interested enough for a take over then take it from there.

Then you get arguments from someone about an away ground who has admitted not being to a home match for the best part of two seasons who probably hasnt been to the said stadium for longer than that. Its a bit like a Derby fan saying isnt Carrow Road useless with that creeky old South Stand! After remenissing on a fixture there in 1998 or similar.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"][quote user="ricardo"]

I am sorry Mr. Carrow but your plea for seniority over the likes of Leeds, Wolves, W.B.A. etc just does not hold water historically. You are talking about clubs with League championships and F.A. Cup wins to their credit. Something Norwich City unfortunately have never achieved. In the light of that, Norwich Citys ability to play to near full houses appears more of a triumph of hope over reality.

We may not like it and we may think we deserve better but the plain fact remains (and history has proved) that we are in a pack of a dozen or so clubs that can only achieve top flight status on a temporary basis. I had hoped that our good run in the eighties and early nineties might change this but as with the likes of Ipswich, we were unable to sustain it.

I am sure you don''t need me to remind you that Ipswich HAVE won a championship an F.A. Cup and a European Trophy and historically their gates have been similar to ours. Every claim you make regarding population and area can be equally applied to them. You could even make the same claim for Plymouth Argyle a city with twice the population of Norwich and a similar rural hinterland.

If it were just a case of mindset we could will it to be different but unfortunately the cold reality is we are a second flight club with top flight pretensions.  It is nothing to be ashamed of and I look forward with pleasure to our next promotion to the big league, as do the supporters of Ipswich, Wolves, Derby and all those other clubs on a similar level to us.

[/quote]

I have to agree with this - there are relatively few sides whose supporters don''t think their side is ''big'', either within their division or in terms of football in general, and they all have plenty of back up available to ''prove'' it; it is part of being a supporter that you expect better than you are getting from your side if they aren''t winning/in the top flight - if you didn''t want that you''d be mad. 

Re: Wednesday, they are my second side as my Mrs is from up there.  The simple fact about population is that Sheffield is the 6th biggest city in the country with a population of c600k, the entire county of Norfolk''s is 800k.  If you want a ''sleeping giant'' you really could look no further, and they are ripe for investment.  That''s not to say we aren''t - but we are a different proposition in many ways.  As for the ground, it is one of my favourites, rather than being run down - it is amazing how people''s opinions differ!! - It has plenty of character and a huge kop end, though I guess the away end is a bit pants. 

Just something to consider, though - one of my best mates is a Brighton fan, and if you are looking for a side similar to us they are quite a good one in many ways, they have a strong history in Div 3 South and then alternating between Divs 2 and 1, maybe not with our ''pedigree'' but not far off in terms of recent playing ability - but that is my point: they are a prime indication of how things can go tits up if you get the wrong guy in...I can''t be bothered to go into the details but basically they got someone in who ended up only being  interested in selling their ground, which really left them shafted and they had to share with Gillingham for several seasons, and are only just recovering.  It can easily work both ways.

[/quote]

Sheffield is a fairly large city which is shared by TWO very well supported clubs with competion nearby from Barnsley,Doncaster,Rotherham,Chesterfield and Leeds and Manchester not too far away. Norfolk has a population of 840,000 with ONE established club and minor competition from a struggling club 45 miles away.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Stephen Frys Evil Twin"]

Sorry, remind me who''s being naive...

I think you''d be hard-pushed to find a single club amongst the top 92 that isn''t on the lookout for outside investment.

[/quote]

I don''t think you read my post correctly. Ofcourse our club is looking for more investment as do all clubs, its just that they don''t tend to go looking for new owners unless the conditions also previously mentioned are met.

With Sunderland the jury still has to be out, they were bought out by a consortium lead by Nial Quin - who has the club close to his heart. A bit like a consortium lead by Iwan taking over our club, the problem is he has made a couple of blunders this season as well as successes not to mention having found strong funding.

However considering Sunderland is of similar stature to Middlesborough and Leeds you do have to wonder.

I don''t think the real problem lies with fans that feel Norwich is a small club - this was not the case the season we went up. Infact it was more an attitude developed in that season as we found it hard to compete financially as we were still working on a 1st Division budget as you get very little money up front for promotion considering most of the money comes from Sky in installments over the season. In some ways I would prefer to have one season of Parachutes and an extra £6million up front for promotion to give teams more of a chance.

Back on point I believe that the people who are pointing fingers and saying you should not be saying that this is not a big club are infact in some sort of denial. For example, I believe that God exhists (sorry to bring the religion argument up here) and I know a lot of people who don''t. But we don''t need to argue about it because there is simply no point.

I don''t care whether you think the club is big, small, medium, fat, tall, spotty, hairy or not green and yella it is absoloutly no excuse not to get behind your team or to turn on other members of the fanbase.

This argument is another rediculus excercise in a long list of attempted attacks on the club which have no basis. Apparently the club should be looking for new majority shareholders - who says they arn''t? Why should they look? Surely they would invite investors and if one was interested enough for a take over then take it from there.

Then you get arguments from someone about an away ground who has admitted not being to a home match for the best part of two seasons who probably hasnt been to the said stadium for longer than that. Its a bit like a Derby fan saying isnt Carrow Road useless with that creeky old South Stand! After remenissing on a fixture there in 1998 or similar.

[/quote]

I''ve supported NCFC since 1962...and the idea that we are a "small club" had never been an issue until now. It is an "imported" image which arrived with Delia Smith...who had planned to turn us into a "nice little team" from the very start. Lot''s of "safe" family groups filling the stands...along with plush "in house" restaurant facilities to meets her culinary/business needs.

It''s as plain as the nose on your face that we have been hijacked to represent one person''s celebrity persona.... and until DS eventually packs her bags...nothing will change. We are a little club...only because we have been made to be one.....

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Exactly MR CARROW...

[/quote]

So we are a bigger club than League champions, F.A. cup winners and even two time European Champions. OH! if it were only true Smudger. Laughable is the only word I can think of for this claim. We have won precious little in our history and can''t even claim to be bigger than our nearest rivals. Ipswich have achieved more than us and in a shorter time span. Wishfull thinking will never beat trophys in the cupboard.

I would concede that we are on a par with a few of those named above but to claim we are bigger is to enter the realms of fantasy. We have never been bigger in my lifetime of supporting Norwich. I can only hope for your sake that you live long enough to see it happen.

[/quote]

Footballs played in the Now Ricardo.. not years ago.. Preston won the first ever football league championship unbeaten in 1888? big club? best club of all time? no.

Nottingham forest havent had any success since the late 70''s. even we have won a trophy more recently than them.

We are a good sized club. not a little club.. true History dictates we are "small" but then when did H.Istory ever score a goal for anyone?

[quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"][

It''s as plain as the nose on your face that we have been hijacked to represent one person''s celebrity persona.... and until DS eventually packs her bags...nothing will change. We are a little club...only because we have been made to be one.....

[/quote]

I have to diagree with that analysis.

First, we are obviously not a little club. We are a medium size club with a history of achievement that ranks at least as equal to most clubs in the Championship and maybe even a few in the Premiership. In terms of Trophys, crowd size and length of time in the top league we are most certainly bigger than Reading, Wigan, Charlton.

Admittedly we are now performing below our natural position and you may say this is due the DS MWJ influence. Personally I can''t see where they have made us into a little club.

To the web team: I wrote 2 responses to posts on this thread last night-1 in response to Ricardo and 1 in response to Branston Pickle. I have received 2 email confirmations that the posts have been cleared and added to the thread but only 1 is there (in response to Branston Pickle). Is there a problem? Many thanks Mr.Carrow.

Does it not sicken anybody else that Mandaric has gone to Leicester today?

Somebody who I believe we could of had here at Carrow Road if only Delia & Co had approached him at the right time in the right way.

Let''s see where Leicester are in the League at this time next year as opposed to us under our current boardroom set up shall we???

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Exactly MR CARROW...

[/quote]

[/quote]

Footballs played in the Now Ricardo.. not years ago.. Preston won the first ever football league championship unbeaten in 1888? big club? best club of all time? no.

Nottingham forest havent had any success since the late 70''s. even we have won a trophy more recently than them.

We are a good sized club. not a little club.. true History dictates we are "small" but then when did H.Istory ever score a goal for anyone?

[/quote]

Exactly Jas...

Maybe we should be losing to Blackpool tonight and have indeed found our true level?

After all historically they are a much bigger club than Norwich...

Unfortunately this is the kind of level that we are aspiring to under Delia & Co!!!

Ricardo! it seems that many on these boards are obsessed with these labels that we put on ourselves as a club.  It matters not one jot about our size or our perception of club size or other peoples perception of our size.  The only thing that really matters is our gate receipts and whether or not they will meet the ever increasing demands on the wage level.  If you bring size into the equation it means absolutely zilch.

In any business the only thing that will make it survive is the ability to market your product successfully and that means profitably.  The only way NCFC can do that is to increase its ground capacity to 40000 and then fill the seats every week.  We will then be able to pay our way and support a half decent team big enough to deal with injuries and supply competition in all places.  It also doesn''t matter what the catchment area potential is or where its placed or its proximity to the ground, what matters are those masses wanting to see the game played at NCFC and willing to support the club through thick and thin.  Any other criteria is irrelevant.  If some philanthropist comes along with mega bucks and is inclined to support a club in it''s present set-up whatever it appears like.  Then we will still be wishing for spomeone to pay for our success other than what should pay our way, which is build the ground capacity to attract money from gate receipts.  If we do that then we will probably be one of the only clubs in the league that is self supporting !!! what a feeling.!!!

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Branston Pickle"][quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sheffield is a fairly large city which is shared by TWO very well supported clubs with competion nearby from Barnsley,Doncaster,Rotherham,Chesterfield and Leeds and Manchester not too far away. Norfolk has a population of 840,000 with ONE established club and minor competition from a struggling club 45 miles away.

[/quote]

Exactly my point MR CARROW...

We have a far bigger pool of potential supporters to draw upon than the likes of Sheffield Wednesday...

Do some people think that if Sheff Weds were successful then all the people who currently follow Sheff Utd, Rotherham, Barnsley, Doncaster, Chesterfield and Leeds who live in the area are suddenly going to turn their allegiances?

As you rightly point out I haven''t even taken in to account the large numbers of football fans in Yorkshire who support clubs over the border in Lancashire.

[quote user="Smudger"]

Somebody who I believe we could of had here at Carrow Road if only Delia & Co had approached him at the right time in the right way.

Let''s see where Leicester are in the League at this time next year as opposed to us under our current boardroom set up shall we???

[/quote]

Has it occured to you that maybe the reason Delia hasn''t approached Mandaric is that... she may not want to sell?.

[quote user="Alex"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Has it occured to you that maybe the reason Delia hasn''t approached Mandaric is that... she may not want to sell?.

[/quote]

Yeah I know that she doesn''t want to sell ALEX...

So in that case what was her statement in the AGM all about???

[quote user="beelsie"]

Ricardo! it seems that many on these boards are obsessed with these labels that we put on ourselves as a club.  It matters not one jot about our size or our perception of club size or other peoples perception of our size.  The only thing that really matters is our gate receipts and whether or not they will meet the ever increasing demands on the wage level.  If you bring size into the equation it means absolutely zilch.

In any business the only thing that will make it survive is the ability to market your product successfully and that means profitably.  The only way NCFC can do that is to increase its ground capacity to 40000 and then fill the seats every week.  We will then be able to pay our way and support a half decent team big enough to deal with injuries and supply competition in all places.  It also doesn''t matter what the catchment area potential is or where its placed or its proximity to the ground, what matters are those masses wanting to see the game played at NCFC and willing to support the club through thick and thin.  Any other criteria is irrelevant.  If some philanthropist comes along with mega bucks and is inclined to support a club in it''s present set-up whatever it appears like.  Then we will still be wishing for spomeone to pay for our success other than what should pay our way, which is build the ground capacity to attract money from gate receipts.  If we do that then we will probably be one of the only clubs in the league that is self supporting !!! what a feeling.!!!

[/quote]

To do that the standard of football being offered would have to drastically improve... we have the catchment area we just need a board with ambition for very large numbers to be attracted to Carrow Road.

Also if that was the current boards intention then why the hotel instead of more seating???

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Alex"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah I know that she doesn''t want to sell ALEX...

So in that case what was her statement in the AGM all about???

[/quote]

I know where you''re coming from Smudger, but she merely stated that if she thought it was in the best interests of the club then she would sell, NOT she is looking for someone to buy her out. But she obviously feels herself and MWJ have got what it takes to carry on and I believe that it would take someone of the likes of Abramovich''s standing to knock her off her perch, and I don''t think that''s gonna happen. As for Mandaric, I can see why you''d want him as he does put his money where his mouth is and Leicester will be all the better for it. And sh9t, that''s 2-2.

[quote user="Smudger"][

We have a far bigger pool of potential supporters to draw upon than the likes of Sheffield Wednesday...

Do some people think that if Sheff Weds were successful then all the people who currently follow Sheff Utd, Rotherham, Barnsley, Doncaster, Chesterfield and Leeds who live in the area are suddenly going to turn their allegiances?

As you rightly point out I haven''t even taken in to account the large numbers of football fans in Yorkshire who support clubs over the border in Lancashire.

[/quote]

If that is the case one wonders why Sheff Wed, a team that have done nothing of note for a good few years now, have so far this season had 5 gates that exceed Norwich Citys maximum.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][

[/quote]

I take your point jas but if you think about it you will realise that this argument does not hold water.

Are Colchester a bigger club than Forest because they are in a higher division? Are Reading bigger than Norwich because they are in the Premiership? Of Course not, all clubs have their ups and downs and sometimes they exceed their percieved potential.

Newcastle havn''t won a trophy since the mid fifties. Norwich won the League cup in the eighties, does that make us bigger?

The percieved size of a Football Club relies on many things and I agree that crowd potential is one of them but you must also take into account things such as trophys won and number of seasons competing in the top division. Yes a lot of this stuff is historical but thats exactly why some clubs are bigger than others. They have a history of consistant achievement.

If Smudger and Co think that Norwich are percieved as a bigger club than Forest I suggest he put the point forward on their web site. He will be in for a right old ear bashing.

League Championships, back to back European Champions. Oh deary me! Norwich City, if it were only so.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Smudger"][

[/quote]

If that is the case one wonders why Sheff Wed, a team that have done nothing of note for a good few years now, have so far this season had 5 gates that exceed Norwich Citys maximum.

[/quote]

Perhaps because Sheff.Wed are currently resurgent after years in the doldrums,playing good football and can occasionally two thirds fill a large stadium (which has very rarely been full to capacity in the last 20 years)-largely thanks to being able to give 5,500 tickets to away supporters which are sold out when Leeds and Barnsley come to town and are not far off when its Wolves,WBA,Sunderland etc. In contrast City`s stadium is almost sold out with season ticket holders,can only accomodate less than half the numbers of away fans and still easily sells out the bigger games despite the awful fare on the pitch. If we can sell out a game against Leeds 2 weeks in advance have you ever considered what sort of demand there would be for say, a local derby if we were challenging for a play-off place? The last time City played Chelsea in the cup at Carrow Rd, Doncaster stated afterwards that there had been 70,000 enquiries for tickets. Even allowing for the probability of multiple enquiries/Chelsea fans trying it on etc. this is the reality of the demand we are looking at for big games.

It is interesting that in your next post you twice mention the "percieved" size of the club. This goes to the heart of the point i am trying to make. Of course alot of the clubs you mention are percieved to be bigger than NCFC, often simply because of a history which counts for little more than bragging rights of certain clubs who still think they are major players in the footballing world but are very obviously not.

Norwich and Norfolk have changed dramatically in the last 10 years with one of the fastest growing populations, improved transport links and a booming retail centre which rates amongst the biggest Cities in the country by whichever figures you care to use. The football club is reaping the benefits of this development and growth and therefore peoples perception of the club needs to be updated. Unfortunately however, if a potential top 10 club is run more like a Crewe or Southend then the benefits will prove shortlived.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Smudger"][

[/quote]

[/quote]

Perhaps because Sheff.Wed are currently resurgent after years in the doldrums,playing good football and can occasionally two thirds fill a large stadium (which has very rarely been full to capacity in the last 20 years)-largely thanks to being able to give 5,500 tickets to away supporters which are sold out when Leeds and Barnsley come to town and are not far off when its Wolves,WBA,Sunderland etc. In contrast City`s stadium is almost sold out with season ticket holders,can only accomodate less than half the numbers of away fans and still easily sells out the bigger games despite the awful fare on the pitch. If we can sell out a game against Leeds 2 weeks in advance have you ever considered what sort of demand there would be for say, a local derby if we were challenging for a play-off place? The last time City played Chelsea in the cup at Carrow Rd, Doncaster stated afterwards that there had been 70,000 enquiries for tickets. Even allowing for the probability of multiple enquiries/Chelsea fans trying it on etc. this is the reality of the demand we are looking at for big games.

It is interesting that in your next post you twice mention the "percieved" size of the club. This goes to the heart of the point i am trying to make. Of course alot of the clubs you mention are percieved to be bigger than NCFC, often simply because of a history which counts for little more than bragging rights of certain clubs who still think they are major players in the footballing world but are very obviously not.

Norwich and Norfolk have changed dramatically in the last 10 years with one of the fastest growing populations, improved transport links and a booming retail centre which rates amongst the biggest Cities in the country by whichever figures you care to use. The football club is reaping the benefits of this development and growth and therefore peoples perception of the club needs to be updated. Unfortunately however, if a potential top 10 club is run more like a Crewe or Southend then the benefits will prove shortlived.

[/quote]

Brilliant post MR CARROW....

You are right and other football fans around the country have seen it too...  Norwich has been booming in recent years...

But will Delia and Co take advantage of the situtation and show some real ambition???

Hell no... they are quite content to be competing with the Southend''s and Colchester''s and Crewe''s of this world!!!

If Norwich had a team capable of challenging for promotion, and spending properly to stay in the Premiership once there, and having a stadium large enough, then they would be able to have gates of 40,000+ every week.

How many clubs in England could say that they could get those kind of gates for Top of the Championship/Lower Premiership status???

Milan Mandaric says that he promises tol have Leicester in the Premiership within 3 years...  what is Delia''s plan????