Sign in to follow this  
If I had the wings of  a sparrow

Worthy onside or offside

How many Norwich fans think that Worthy holds grudges for too long. All players at times deserve a rollicking but with Worthy you are either in or out. You can keep bringing in players & falling out with them. Has Huckerby lost a bit of form since he & Worthy had an on pitch slanging match against Ipswich? Everyone knows that you call the shots Worthy but don''t drop players for the sake of showing them whos boss. Players he has fallen out with & who I think all provided good service are Libbra, Rivers, Kenton, McVeigh, Brennan?, Neilson all players with a bit of attitude. What do other fans think?

Well....

Libbra was rubbish
Rivers is lazy
Kenton was skipping matches and training to sort his next contract out
McVeigh and agent decided to announce they "deserved a bigger contract"

So far, I''m with Worthy all the way. Let''s wait and see with Brennan, and we have no reason to question NW''s man-management so far.

At the end of the day, we can speculate as much as we like but don''t have the faintest idea what happens in that dressing room or on the training pitch. Nige is in charge- Let''s put our confidence in him and stop moaning

WORTHY IS THE BOSS AND IS RIGHT TO HOLD HIS GROUND WITH BRENNAN IF INEDEED THERE HAS BEEN A FALLOUT HOWEVER THERE IS A SAYING OF CUTTING OF YOUR NOSE TO SPITE YOUR FACE AND I DOUBT THE BOARD OR FANS OR OTHER PLAYERS WOULD APPRECIATE NIGELS STAND OFF IF IT DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY EFFECTS OUR CHANCES OF PROMOTION

COME ON NIGEL PLAY THE BEST PLAYERS YOU HAVE AVAILABLE PUT ANY OTHER PROBLEMS ON THE BACK BOILER FOR 6 WEEKS THEN SORT IT, EVERY BODY NEEDS TO BE PUSHING IN THE 0SAME DIRECTION MOST CRUCIAL 6 WEEKS FOR PROBABLE TEN YEARS

Who is moaning? you can''t knock what Worthington has done but all I am suggesting is that when you have a small squad you can''t afford to have a whole load of players out of favour & common ground between players & manager needs to be found. I am also convinced that Huckerby will be the next player to fall out of favour but I hope I am wrong.

Playing a player who has clearly demonstrated contempt for the manager and staff is not a clever thing. It sets the example that any player can say what they like, but if they are "good enough" then they will play.

Football doesn''t, and shouldn''t, work like that. If you''re not going to pull for the team then sit in the reserves til you''ve learnt your lesson.

Worthy is Onside.

He''s the boss, he''s got virtually no money to work with (and the club is still making big losses) hence he''s got a small squad.

He wants players in his team who are prepared to work hard day in, day out. No big time charlies. Worthy tells it to the players straight, but any "problems" stay within the dressing room, which is the way it should be.

Who can blame him for his approach. If the dressing room is "not with him" and results don''t go our way, it''s him who gets the sack, not the players

I agree, Gazza. You have summed it up really well. Worthy seems, more and more, to be choosing the right people to work with and his approach is paying off. Witness one Jason Roberts who left a horrible taste in the mouth when leaving West Brom for Wigan recently. He didn''t exactly hide his lack of respect for our former manager, and his parting comments were met with equal dollops of bile from Mr. Megson in full glare of the public. Can''t imagine this happening here now - at least I hope it won''t.
As for our Darren being the next one to ''fall out'' with Worthy, just a couple of points. We don''t know if ANYONE has actually ''fallen out'' with him. There are always going to be differences of opinion and no one individual can please everyone all of the time. If used constructively, different opinions can be beneficial, providing everyone knows that there is one person who makes the final decision as the buck stops with him. That individual needs the respect of the others and, as far as I can see, Worthy is working hard to earn that respect. I know that some people have said that Hucks and Worthy had some strong words during a recent match - (Ipswich I think) - , but I always look to see how they react to each other at the end of a game and, for the most part, I have seen smiles, pats on the back, arms round shoulders, and so on. Bearing in mind how hard Worthy tried to persuade the board to invest and make his transfer to us possible, and the fact that he takes every opportunity to praise Darren''s efforts and talents, I think it would take something really dramatic for that good working relationship to break down. It seems as if we are all trying to get inside the minds of the major players at Colney right now. Simple fact is - we don''t know anything for sure, and it''s all a bit of guesswork. (In the event of success, perhaps Worthy should hit a foreign beach in July and write up his diary for the season. Would make compelling reading, don''t you think?)

If I remember correctly, Worthy''s "falling out" with Hucks in the Ipswich game occured with about 4 minutes remaining in the game. We were leading 2-0 and took a short corner on the right hand side, Hucks lost the ball and they went straight up the other end, won a corner from which they scored. (Incidently, for anyone who missed it, Hucks held his hand up to Worthy, as he was running back for the corner, to acknowledge the manager was right and he didn''t need telling).

Less than two minutes later, Darren, having stuck the ball in the net at the other end, was getting the big thumbs up from Worthy, who was grinning like a big cheshire cat.

By my reckoning, that''s some "falling out" and just the kind of response Worthy wants from his players.

OTBC

I must have missed something on the Brennan issue because I thought he was injured. Can anyone shed any light on the situation?