Sign in to follow this  
mat gore

To the board

If as seems likely noone of any note has been brought in before the close of the transfer window you should all resign.

This club has squandered the chance to resstablish itself as, if not a premiership team, then at least a top championship side.  In three years you will have overseen the complete decimation of the playing squad and two relegations because make no mistake thats where we are headed.

We have probably the smallest squad in the division yet players are going out on loan with noone coming in.  Our only consistant performer is out for the entirety of the season and its impossible to see where the goals will come from.  We have a weak sqaud lacking in morale, backbone and depth with an inexperienced manager and yet people in the club are still talking about the play-offs.

Its like 1995 all over again.  An out of touch penny pinching board who think we''re too good to go down talking absolute **** and taking us all for mugs.

Peter Grant seems to have identified the need for a new left-sided midfielder as well as somone who can tackle in midfied.  You seem to have failed to back him.

Don''t wheel out the pathetic lies about it being difficult to sign players, Derby have signed Pearson, Teale, Jones, McEveley etc ect Oh yes and Howard.  I don''t rate Howard personally but Nigel Worthington did and if you want him you have to pay the going rate.  Even Hull are strengthening beyond our wildest dreams.  I''m just waiting for you to say we wanted so and so from Kings Lynn but couldn''t match Peterbrough''s financial clout.

If we go down you can''t say you weren''t warned.  I wrote to you last summer with my concerns about the squad size and quality in some areas and I know many others did too.  We all knew Nigel Worthington needed to go by the middle of last season yet you wasted the summer and the first half of this season.  Yet you didn''t back him in the transfer market - you bought lee croft and sold Mcenzie and Green as well as losing charlton, brennan etc etc Its all very well to say lets move forward together but you need to show some signs of having learned from the calamitous mistakes of the past 3 seasons.

We have the air of a sunk ship even down to little things like Drury''s booking on Saturday and Dion''s injury.  A couple of signings might have been the shot in the arm to save us but instead we get stories about how we can''t afford some non-entity from St.Mirren.

Prudence with ambition don''t make me laugh.  What price will you get for Earnie when you''re selling him from league 1 in next season''s fire sale.

The Board does not seem to have realised that this period was a vital one in raising giving some kind of hope to supporters and persuading them that renewing season tickets was a wise move.  A club with a fan base of 20, 000 +, parachute money of several million pounds and profit of two million pounds from summer sales is still fiddling around in the bargain basement looking for someone else''s cast offs.  We have seen that investment in quality players eg Ashton and Earnshaw not only pays dividends on the field but also gives potential future profit.  The money wasted on players like Etuhu, Robinson and Hughes will never be recouped whilst the money wasted on the wages of Thorne and MLJ would have purchased a quality player.

We now have had two transfer windows where "everyone is trying hard" and "making lots of phone calls" but yet again nothing happens.  It is all very well investing millions in the infrastructure but if seats are empty then it is all to no avail. 

I could have handled all the above if someone had been honest, had admitted they had got things wrong and said they would put their faith in young players but hey presto when the crisis happens all the youngsters are on loan.  To say it beggars belief is a crass understatement.

Will I renew my season ticket well probably but it is despite the management not because of it.

I now feel better having vented my spleen, thanks for listening.

Totally agree. I used to think Nigel Worthington was inept at handling incoming transfers but the same thing has happened again this January. I dont think two completely different managers would be so bad at signing players. So who does that leave? The common denominator is the board.

Spot on 100% !  Total lack of ambition we are doomed the best we can hope for now is wining the fight from relagation.

Good post Matt.

I still can''t believe no-one will come in before the deadline....and somehow I think we will avoid the drop (most likely because of others rather than our own endeavours). A lingering flicker of optimism perhaps...but there ya go.

Not long back though we were talking about the Eastwoods and Halfords of this world being reasonable targets....so what has happened? Why such a crisis?

As Mystic Megson pointed out...we paid £600000 to the tax man last year....so on that basis the finances should not appear so dire. Is it "prudence" gone mad?

Any "brainies" out there who can shed more light?