Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

LITTLE NORWICH? JUST HAVE A LOOK AT YOURSELVES!!!

Delia Smith is regularly lambasted on this board for her ''little Norwich'' mentality when we reached the Premier League and it is an allegation regularly thrown at the Board of Directors and Club in general.

But Clubs do have a character which reflects the pervading attitude of their supporters thus Wolves whinge, West Ham whine and Birmingham bemoan.

In the case of Norwich, we struggle to deal with success; we get relegated after winning cups; fail to build and fade after European success and latterly sulk ourselves into mediocrity after a storming finish to a creditable (see others) Premiership campaign when we lose the last game by a ludicrous margin under inexplicable circumstances.

At Norwich we don''t get it off our chests and get on with it. We do slow and painful declines. I remember someone once told me that in warfare the Norfolk''s were often used to retain what others had gained because they were good at holding tight and taking all manner of crap.

How often have you been at Carrow Road when quiet crowds are unexpectedly inflamed by a perceived injustice? It sometimes takes a Norwich man to be unfairly sent off for the crowd to get going whereas, if the team are being rolled over for lack of application....not a sound.

Now look at this message board. What a bunch of hand wringing, self flagillating, brow beating, down-doing, self-pitying cup half empty and whinging individuals you  are. Yes, it''s sh1t!  And yes, we are having a crap season. And yes too we don''t seem to be able to attract players, but...........

Isn''t it about time we had a look at the reality of the situation, relegation  is a real threat and would be a disaster, we surely want to win games, we surely want to beat Wolves and Leeds: the latter of which is the biggest game at Carrow Road since the last home match in the Premier League.

If you expect to fail, you will. Use your anger and disappointment constuctively, not destructively. Demand effort at games and expect success because if you don''t the ''Little Norwich'' mentality is really coming from you.

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]

Delia Smith is regularly lambasted on this board for her ''little Norwich'' mentality when we reached the Premier League and it is an allegation regularly thrown at the Board of Directors and Club in general.

But Clubs do have a character which reflects the pervading attitude of their supporters thus Wolves whinge, West Ham whine and Birmingham bemoan.

In the case of Norwich, we struggle to deal with success; we get relegated after winning cups; fail to build and fade after European success and latterly sulk ourselves into mediocrity after a storming finish to a creditable (see others) Premiership campaign when we lose the last game by a ludicrous margin under inexplicable circumstances.

At Norwich we don''t get it off our chests and get on with it. We do slow and painful declines. I remember someone once told me that in warfare the Norfolk''s were often used to retain what others had gained because they were good at holding tight and taking all manner of crap.

How often have you been at Carrow Road when quiet crowds are unexpectedly inflamed by a perceived injustice? It sometimes takes a Norwich man to be unfairly sent off for the crowd to get going whereas, if the team are being rolled over for lack of application....not a sound.

Now look at this message board. What a bunch of hand wringing, self flagillating, brow beating, down-doing, self-pitying cup half empty and whinging individuals you  are. Yes, it''s sh1t!  And yes, we are having a crap season. And yes too we don''t seem to be able to attract players, but...........

Isn''t it about time we had a look at the reality of the situation, relegation  is a real threat and would be a disaster, we surely want to win games, we surely want to beat Wolves and Leeds: the latter of which is the biggest game at Carrow Road since the last home match in the Premier League.

If you expect to fail, you will. Use your anger and disappointment constuctively, not destructively. Demand effort at games and expect success because if you don''t the ''Little Norwich'' mentality is really coming from you.

[/quote]

Looks like it''s us fans who are causing the problems again.......Bastards aren''t we?

Far too emotional and if I may say so....a reinforcement of the "little Norwich" mentality of looking everywhere else except at the real problems within the club. The players...the Board....and the apathetic section of the crowd who would happily pay to watch an egg and spoon race.....if Delia had boiled it.

This forum broadly reflects the concerned views of paying supporters....and we''ve simply had enough.

Bye bye Norwich!  With the "little Norwich" mentality it is of no surprise to me that we are sinking fast. Does the Board want us in Div 1 I wonder?  I watched the Bayern vs City match last night, almost bought a tear to my eye. We could have been a real contender once, now I fear, we never will be again. With the new T.V deal for Premiership Clubs, it means that even relegated teams will receive 30 Million, so in effect that means that unless you get to the Premiershp this season, it is unlikely you ever will as the same teams will go up and come down, every year!  Could this be the death of football at the lower level?

[/quote]

Good Churchillian rhetoric – wrong target audience. 

Suggest that this, ‘fight them on the beaches…’ missive is aimed at those who appear to be conscientious objectors, i.e. the players, the management and the board.  You could even pop some white feathers in the envelope as well…

No, it''s not the supporters who are to blame.  As I read it the original post is about looking at ourselves and deciding if we can do something positive about the situation.  The problems on the pitch are there for all to see, any other problems are a matter of opinion and we must all make of them what we can.  Are we guilty of perpetuating and contributing to the on-field problems with our collective whinging, whining, and generally negative attitude.  No-one can be happy with the current squad or performances but how can we help things get better?  Does it help to condemn a player as soon as he signs?  Is it realistic to call for a managers head within a few weeks of appointment?  Is it motivational to boo players on and off the pitch during matches?  Do we promote the ''Delias'' little Norwich'' image by constantly harping on about it? 

Me, I will be at the match tonight and will support whatever players are wearing the yellow shirts.  It is not a crisis but an opportunity for others to shine.  Give them all a chance.  Write what you like on here but lets get behind our team.  I am not blind to the problems within the club but would like to show the world the bet side of the Norfolk character.

OTBC

[quote user="AJstreet"]if you''ve had enough, do us all a favour - stop going to games and stop posting on this site[/quote]

Rose Coloured Glasses wearing posters only? Nobody''s personal opinion can ever be wrong because its what the individual thinks. 

Is Rude actually blaming the fans for all this?

I think there are many generalisations in what Rude says, but certainly some reasonable points. The fact is, collectively, everyone at the club are going to have to grit their teeth and push through to the end of the season ensuring we stay up.

That is a fact - and if one unit of the club doesn''t bother, be it the fans/players/manager/board, then we are making it far harder for ourselves...

No excuses - everyone has a responsibility...

Rude Old makes a lot of good points here. I don''t think he is blaming the fans, I think he is just saying that if we don''t try and pick up the atmosphere and get behind the team we are stuck with (pitifully poor though some of them are) then we are making relegation pretty much a certainty. Moaning (though people are free to do what they want) won''t realistically make any difference, and if it does make any difference it will be of the negative, counter productive kind. I think Rude Old was saying that if we don''t try to make the best of a bad situation and engender some kind of togetherness then we are making relegation all the more likely.

Must say I''m very surprised that Cluck ignored this aspect of the post, how out of character[;)].  

So, Rude (as opposed to So Rude!), it''s "Let''s be havin you!" time, eh? Well, why not, it''s my attitude every game I get to - it''s easier when you don''t attend every game!Read Rude''s post again guys. It makes more sense on a second look.Nowhere is it any kind of defence of Delia and the Board, nor is any excuse made for the bad performances - the current position is fully acknowledged. What you have is a call to arms, to make the one positive difference you can (in the short term).It''s not the first post like this this season (although the prose is of higher standard than most![;)]) and the timing is well-chosen.As fans, better still, supporters, those in the ground can have a real influence on the outcome. If they''re playing cr@p, shake them out of it with some real good atmosphere. If they''re playing well, reward them with a raw-throated roar of approval. The Forest fans were magnificent at Stamford Bridge and you know that Wolves and Leeds will be bringing loud-mouthed support with them. Beggared if I''m gonna let some drone-voiced midlander shout louder than me!You may not feel it''s appropriate, but the next two games are crucial and any help we can bring to the cause could just tip things in our favour. I know how much a part of it I''ll feel if we can shout our way to six more points by Saturday night. [:D]

Well said, Rude Old, and Fat Barman, mbncfc and MP... nice to see some realism creeping back in (and can I say welcome back to Rudolp, where''ve you been?).I tried posting a similar thing some time during the Worthy period, but the thread was practically ignored and quickly replaced on the first page by 20 or so identical threads on how we should sign Chris Sutton and that he''d play for us for free cos he loves us and wants to marry us and anyway my mate''s cousin''s dog sniffed the arse of Sutton''s own dog once, so it must be true...Despite the situation as it is, I''d desperately love to be at Carrow Road for both of these games, alas location tells once again.  My only fear is that our Carrow Road faithful are going to get out-sung by the away fans, some of whom (Leeds) are in a much worse situation and a much swifter free-fall from grace than we are.  If we can just forget about all the problems for 90 minutes, maybe one or two of them (abject performances and no atmosphere) will start to go away...

Well said, Rude Old, and Fat Barman, mbncfc and MP... nice to see some realism creeping back in (and can I say welcome back to Rudolp, where''ve you been?).I tried posting a similar thing some time during the Worthy period, but the thread was practically ignored and quickly replaced on the first page by 20 or so identical threads on how we should sign Chris Sutton and that he''d play for us for free cos he loves us and wants to marry us and anyway my mate''s cousin''s dog sniffed the arse of Sutton''s own dog once, so it must be true...Despite the situation as it is, I''d desperately love to be at Carrow Road for both of these games, alas location tells once again.  My only fear is that our Carrow Road faithful are going to get out-sung by the away fans, some of whom (Leeds) are in a much worse situation and a much swifter free-fall from grace than we are.  If we can just forget about all the problems for 90 minutes, maybe one or two of them (abject performances and no atmosphere) will start to go away...

I see those who are up for the fight have stood up and been counted.

I''m going tonight and to the six-pointer on Saturday and even if I wasn''t I would refuse to be defeatist because BELIEF is what this City and Club needs at the moment.

Wouldn''t it be fantastic for new players to be introduced tonight? It would certainly create pressure for places and IMO two new players would satisfy me the Club have really tried to change things along with the fact that, at last, the young players are going out on loan which is something Worthington criminally neglected to do.

Hell, even if you disagree with me I don''t care, you are all City supporters and we are all one big family.

Families fight, fall out, disagree, argue etc, etc. but when the smelly stuff hits the fan they all come together.

We are in a relegation fight....so let''s fight!

We need more like you Rudolph. So many here find it easy to over-react. Signings will happen and two wins in next 2 matches at least moves us to safety. True, we have been rubbish or merely average for 80% of this season - we must write it off and get safety and re-build.

[quote user="percyvarco"]

[quote user="AJstreet"]if you''ve had enough, do us all a favour - stop going to games and stop posting on this site[/quote]

Rose Coloured Glasses wearing posters only? Nobody''s personal opinion can ever be wrong because its what the individual thinks. 

[/quote]

but if evrybody says differnt things they carnt all be rite - therefore nobodys persnal opinion is wrong unless he agrees with me that is!!! Logic!

I see those who are up for the fight have stood up and been counted.

I''m going tonight and to the six-pointer on Saturday and even if I wasn''t I would refuse to be defeatist because BELIEF is what this City and Club needs at the moment.

Wouldn''t it be fantastic for new players to be introduced tonight? It would certainly create pressure for places and IMO two new players would satisfy me the Club have really tried to change things along with the fact that, at last, the young players are going out on loan which is something Worthington criminally neglected to do.

Hell, even if you disagree with me I don''t care, you are all City supporters and we are all one big family.

Families fight, fall out, disagree, argue etc, etc. but when the smelly stuff hits the fan they all come together.

We are in a relegation fight....so let''s fight!

[/quote]

I''m with you 100% Rudolph. Wish I was there fighting "with you."

[quote user="Yellow fever"][quote user="percyvarco"]

[/quote]

but if evrybody says differnt things they carnt all be rite - therefore nobodys persnal opinion is wrong unless he agrees with me that is!!! Logic!

[/quote]Bloody hell! Where have you been?

[N]  Utter c**p... two defeats over the next 4 days will see us all unite in wanting this useless board of ours to sling their hooks!!!