Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

I don't understand

the negativity on this and other boards. If the two deadline day signings perform as they can, then we have solved a major problem. For a few seasons we have lacked an effective midfield, and we seem to have one now - Croft, Chadwick, Fotheringham, Lappin, Etuhu, Hughes, plus Rossi, Spillane? It seems thast Fotheringham has skill and a good motor, and Lappin can play anywhere on the left (- cover for Drury?), calls himself a wing-back, and can deliver inch perfect crosses with his left foot! Until May we have a good goalkeeper.The result is that a stronger midfield chould take some pressure of the defence, as well as creating chances."OK", say the critics," but we wanted a central defender and a striker of class!" So we did, but given the money paid for very average strikers over the last month, January is not the time to go further into debt. We miss Ernie, but we do not have the money to replace him adequately. As for central defence, it is bad luck to have two of three injured at the same time, but significantly Spillane was one of the youngsters not allowed out on loan and presuambly part of the plans.We have acheieved the situation of players off the payroll, replaced by more effective players, and we have players out on loan to explore their ability. PG clearly hopes to find one or two loans - presumably a striker and a central defender. He has also bought us time to look next at those areas in team building.The major problems seems to be finding a team for Saturday, already a crunch match. It looks like Lappin for Drury, Brown with Hux up front, and Doc with Dion or Shacks or Spillane?

Perhaps the negativity is acutally realism?  From where I am standing, saying ''who are these two'' is a  lot more realistic than saying "if the two deadline day signings perform as they can..."

How the hell do you or any of the other ''give them a nickname before they have kicked a ball'' brigade know how they can perform???

[quote user="Salopian"]the negativity on this and other boards. If the two deadline day signings perform as they can, then we have solved a major problem. For a few seasons we have lacked an effective midfield, and we seem to have one now - Croft, Chadwick, Fotheringham, Lappin, Etuhu, Hughes, plus Rossi, Spillane? It seems thast Fotheringham has skill and a good motor, and Lappin can play anywhere on the left (- cover for Drury?), calls himself a wing-back, and can deliver inch perfect crosses with his left foot! Until May we have a good goalkeeper.

The result is that a stronger midfield chould take some pressure of the defence, as well as creating chances.

"OK", say the critics," but we wanted a central defender and a striker of class!" So we did, but given the money paid for very average strikers over the last month, January is not the time to go further into debt. We miss Ernie, but we do not have the money to replace him adequately. As for central defence, it is bad luck to have two of three injured at the same time, but significantly Spillane was one of the youngsters not allowed out on loan and presuambly part of the plans.

We have acheieved the situation of players off the payroll, replaced by more effective players, and we have players out on loan to explore their ability. PG clearly hopes to find one or two loans - presumably a striker and a central defender. He has also bought us time to look next at those areas in team building.

The major problems seems to be finding a team for Saturday, already a crunch match. It looks like Lappin for Drury, Brown with Hux up front, and Doc with Dion or Shacks or Spillane?
[/quote]

Darren Huckerby should get a regular game up front now, so it''s possible that the goal scoring has been addressed, and i would suggest we will probably get a loan striker in

Yes, well all good in theory.

But in practice two major areas have not been addressed.  We leak goals at the back and struggle to score up front.

We will win many more games this season based on recent form won''t we? 

Come on, without Earnie we will struggle to score enough to keep us in this division.  If you let in 2 or 3 goals a game and struggle to score one goal a game, how can you possible win a game?

What needed to be addressed hasn''t been, but like the board have said we are preparing for league one, so maybe they will succeed with one of their ambitions this year.

Ahh, well, one can only pray for a miracle.

Well it''s possible we''ll ge another striker on loan. Brown will score a few - his goal scoring record suggests he wont be prolific but i think he ll get us a few goals. hucks up front wll get more goals than he will on the wing, im hoping lappin has a good cross because what we have been missing is a cross. our crossing has been DREADFUL this season so i hope that may get us a few goals also. We re not going to be amazing obviously but i think we can get the goals to stay up - which make no mistake is our only aim for this season  

I think perhaps our problems in defence and up-front aren''t quite as great as the fact that none of our midfielders ever turn up.  The (few, I admit) times I''ve seen Norwich this season, most of our problems have started or ended in the middle.  Players not wanting the ball, so we have to lob it up front, players not challenging for the second ball, so it comes straight back.  I think that a strengthened midfield might well improve us more than just saying, "three new midfielders" carrys across.

OTBC!

Chunky

A fair body of opinion has suggested that the defence wouldn''t look so bad if the midfield were more effective. Similarly a better midfield should create more chances and, hopefully, chip in with more goals themselves.

Whilst not suggesting the job is complete, it has at least been started. Shall we see what, if any, improvement we can achieve with the new boys? The loan window doesn''t open until the 8th.

[quote]How the hell do you or any of the other ''give them a nickname before they have kicked a ball'' brigade know how they can perform???[/quote]

I''d rather we were to giving them nicknames than knocking them for their innate ability to eat pies, or their need for a bus pass any time soon.  They play for us, after all, not Ipswich.

It''s ok to hope.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]A major problem is we can''t score goals, that, still hasn''t been addressed!.[/quote]Chris Brown or Chris Martin could solve that problem, but its too early to tell whether they can provide or not

In view of the fact that some posters did not read all my original postiing, I shall try to summarise it again:-I did not say that we had a perfect soluttion to all our problems, which I do not think is credible in one high-priced January window-what I did say was that by the reputation of the players, reinforced by everything reported from Scotland today, we have gone a long way to solving what I any many others have regarded as our major problem for a few years - a midfield that is non-existent when opponents attack, and thus exposes our defence, and contributes little going forward (-hence the reliance on Hux to create).- we have, admittedly on loan, in Marshall a better goal keeper, and we have in Lappin a left sided player excellent at going forward and who is an able defender, well able to cover for Drury or replace him if his form is off. When all defenders are fit, I think that our defence will be stronger, and I hope that conceding 2 or 3 goals will be a rarity rather than regular.- we are light in the striker department, - an opportunity for Martin or Jarvis, but with PG''s intention to find someone on loan to cover until Ernie is back, moreover a loan not arranged during the window when managers are apprehensive and demanding more, but after the transfer window when they have more control, I think that his approach is very rational. Given that Chadwick can score goals, Croft ought to, and so perhaps will Fozzy, quite apart from Dion, Hux and Brown, plus youngsters, we shall lack Ernie but surely more goals will come from the midfield?-given the sortage of money, there is no way we could have squandered all available funds on a striker or a defender. I think that the manager has made a start on re-building. I expect to see loan players to fill over the rest of the season and then further re-building during the summer. He will by then have seen which youngsters are worth persevering with, and will have removed some of the senior deadwood.-unless you are envisaging a Chelsea-like billionaire who can finance a complete team in a few months, my feeling is that we have made a start in building a squad. It may be a struggle until we have a few loan players in, but the fault was senior members of the squad who reguarly underperformed. We have the way to rise above this now!

Agree with you Salopian.

Did people really believe we were going to bring a whole new team in during the jan transfer window. I''m afraid the atmposphere among the fans /on  this board is one of such negativity there are always going to be ''moaners'' at the moment. Don''t get me wrong I would have loved for us to have brought a new striker and central defender in but not so long ago everyone was slagging off or midfield and saying this is where the problem is. Well give Grant his due he has brought us 2 midfielders in and Robinson has gone. ''Unknowns'' I know but at least give them 90 minutes before we judge.   I''ve read plenty of posts/heard plenty of conversations in the pub and at the ground on the lines of ''why can other clubs find cheap unknowns who prove to be good players and we can''t?.  If the 2 new lads prove to be worst than Robinson, Etuhu et al then I''ll too express my dissapointment and then question why are scouts can''t find the bargains - but lets give Grants players a chance shall we? In Chadwick and Marshall we have 2 quality players in and I believe Mark Brown will prove useful too.

Lets get behind the players we have, as whatever you think they are Norwich players and we are Norwich Supporters, and put our energies into helping them acheive 3 points on Saturday. Lets get behind them in every remaining game and add whatever help we can to help avoid relegation. Then lets see what happens in the Summer, see what other additions are made and give Grant a full season with a team he has had some say in shaping. Then lets judge.

"what I did say was that by the reputation of the players, reinforced by everything reported from Scotland today, we have gone a long way to solving what I any many others have regarded as our major problem for a few years - a midfield that is non-existent when opponents attack, and thus exposes our defence, and contributes little going forward (-hence the reliance on Hux to create)."

I don''t understand how you can possibly state we have gone a long way to solving our major problem - a midfield that is none existant?

What is this based on? - certainly not fact.

I also hope you have not based this on the departure of Robinson and the signings of Lappin and Fozzie, both of whom have not played a game for us yet, so it is impossible to jump to any real conclusions about them. 

Do you know something the rest of us don''t?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Could someone explain to me why realism only applies to negative spin?????????

[/quote]

Negative spin is an illusion seen by those who are unable to grasp reality. It kind of helps them believe that reality doesn''t exist so they can live their life without fully opening their eyes. Rather like those albino newts they find in dark South American caves?............

Only to pleased to help with that one Newty......I mean Nutty.......[;)]

[quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Could someone explain to me why realism only applies to negative spin?????????

[/quote]

Negative spin is an illusion seen by those who are unable to grasp reality. It kind of helps them believe that reality doesn''t exist so they can live their life without fully opening their eyes. Rather like those albino newts they find in dark South American caves?............

Only to pleased to help with that one Newty......I mean Nutty.......[;)]

[/quote]Ok then, artist formally known cluck, what, in your esteemed opinion, is the current ''reality?''Personally i think Salopian''s is pretty much on the button. Now it''s your turn...

[quote user="1st Wizard"]A major problem is we can''t score goals, that, still hasn''t been addressed!.[/quote]

WE SHOWED ON TUESDAY THAT WE CAN CREATE VERY GOOD CHANCES.TAKING THE CHANCES IS OBVIOSLY WHAT COUNTS BUT I THINK A LOT OF THIS IS ABOUT CONFIDENCE.WE HAVE BROWN WHO I THINK WILL SCORE AND I KNOW THAT CHRIS MARTIN WILL. HE HAS A GOOD RECORD  AND IS ALSO A COCKY LITTLE SOD WHICH SERVE HIM WELL.WHAT HE DOESNT NEED IS TO HAVE HIS CONFIDENCE AND FLAIR KICKED OUT OF HIM BY FEAR OF FAILURE.