Sign in to follow this  
barclay headhunter

Overall, what do we think about the signings?

Chadwick

Marshall

Brown

Lappin

Fotheringham

Overall, what do we think about the signings? Personally I thought that most of em were quite good and they''ll all develop into sucessful Norwich players as long as we support them. I dont want to contradict myself but can we really see Brown providing the goals to pump us up the table??? A loan striker is essential unless Martin gets the games and gets the goals. Of course, Grunt could always ask his old mate Pardew if we could borrow a Charltoner, that Kevin Lisbe wasn''t too bad when he came here. I dont know if he is still at Charlton but he put in a few for us when he was here last season??

All world class players and im really excited. Think that we will be challenging for the premier league title and champions league soon.

BIG SPENDERS

Chadwick - Championship journeyman

Marshall - Decent keeper but hes not ours

Brown - Might as well have played Jarvis , waste of peanuts

Lappin - Could be ok , nobody knows probably not even Grant

Fotheringham - Hard to tell on this one , didnt get a start in the German 2nd Division , 13 games since 2005 , and only signed untill the end of the season so either club or player are unsure about the move . Nobody else wanted him so probably poor .

Good signings with potential, if you ask me.

Worthy made 3 good expensive signings Hucks, Ashton and Earnie...all his others were either crap of have still yet to prove themselves!

I''m not overly excited nor am I upset. 

Chadwick is the only player I have seen much of and feel he I he feel he is a good signing.  The rest are all unkown to me so I will reserve judgement for now.

What I will say though is that (despite the question of calibre) Grant appears to have addressed imbalances in the team. 

Lappin - I hope will play wide left solving two problems.  1) Freeing up Hux from defensive duties and allowing him to do what he does best, cause the opposition problems.  2)  Provide more support (as well as cover) for Drury, who has not looked the same player being behind Hux.  I know some are disappointed with us not signing a defender but I feel that a midfield with a better shape will provide more protection for our defence anyway.

Fotheringham - He is another attacking central midfielder and may prove to be a good partner for Safri and lets face it, Etuhu needs some competition for his place.

Brown - Not sure about him but looks to have good touch and we needed this sort of striker.

Marshal - Only on loan but Gallagher has been costing us goals. 

[quote user="barclay headhunter"]

Chadwick

Marshall

Brown

Lappin

Fotheringham

Overall, what do we think about the signings? Personally I thought that most of em were quite good and they''ll all develop into sucessful Norwich players as long as we support them. I dont want to contradict myself but can we really see Brown providing the goals to pump us up the table??? A loan striker is essential unless Martin gets the games and gets the goals. Of course, Grunt could always ask his old mate Pardew if we could borrow a Charltoner, that Kevin Lisbe wasn''t too bad when he came here. I dont know if he is still at Charlton but he put in a few for us when he was here last season??

[/quote]

Overall, I think you''re an NCFC club media representative.......

I think bringing in young players to add some drive to our team is exactly whats needed.  Norwich over the last 2 seasons appear to me to have lost the hunger that we had in the early days of worthingons management.  PG has decided to freshen up the group with players that will wear the shirt with pride and give their all.  They all seem to add something different to the current group of players and give us some creativity that we have been lacking in the last 2 seasons.  I am excited by these players - good on you PG......

Lets make some noise at the next home game and back the team as the atmosphere at FCR has never been worse in my 12 years watching matches....

I think all 4 outfield players will prove to be a success and I think Marshall will do a job in goal.

I really think we need a couple more defenders but I''m not disappointed by any of the signings.

We wanted a target man, Grant brought one. We needed someone to challenge Gallacher and we got a goalkeeper has has champions league experience. We brought a highly rated Midfielder from St Mirren and a winger from Stoke who the fans loved. Unsure about Fozzy but I reckon he''ll do well

Yes we could have done with a defender and a striker but i''m happy enough!

Young players targetting the key problem area who will hopefully show that a hunger and desire to perform will do wonders for the club.  They may or may not work out but we wont have spent a fortune of wages nor transfer fees (thorne, hughes, etuhu etc etc etc) so if they dont work out we havent lost anything.  So it seems the manager does have an idea of what needs solving.

Its hard to get excited about players you know nothing about but heres hoping we have spotted and signed some quality at bargain prices.

More was needed - particularly cover in defence,  but a loan or two should solve that until teh summer window opens

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="barclay headhunter"]

Chadwick

Marshall

Brown

Lappin

Fotheringham

[/quote]

[/quote]

no he''s my 14 y/o son!!!!!

[quote user="the armester"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="barclay headhunter"]

Chadwick

Marshall

Brown

Lappin

Fotheringham

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Congratulations. I''ll alert the media.

Only time will tell, but do we have that time? Have they all got a get out clause if we get relegated? that will effect the way they play.

Zipper sums up my thoughts quite neatly- hard to get too excited when we don''t know much about them. I suppose I am interested more than excited or anything else. PG clearly saw the problems in midfield and has sought to address those. I am hoping that a more resilient midfield will also relieve pressure on the defence. Although it would have been nice to have pulled in a quality centre back I am still hoping for one on loan and if Safri and Fotheringham combine well in the middle it may not be needed. Most of all though, having Lappin on the left may create an exciting combo up front in Hux/Brown or Hux/Earnie when he returns.

Hoping the new guys get a game on Sat- may well lift things a bit.

If they play(surely PG has no option?!),then it''s to be hoped that these new midfielders are not as adept at giving the ball away cheaply and unneccessarily as the likes of Robinson,Etuhu,Hughes and,yes ,it has to be said,Yusuf..That,along with some woeful defensive positioning, has been the main root of the soft goals that have been conceded of late.

At least,if we stop doing that we''ll start to pick some much needed points up.Whether they can score enough goals in Earni''s absence remains to be seen.As others have said ,the new players are an unknown quantity.At the risk of being branded a pessimist,it''s hard to get TOO excited about a player who failed to get a place in a Div 2 German and Swiss team.

I''m actually a bit concerned about Grants comments on Fotheringham.  Nothing personal against the player, I''m just not sure that he is the type of player we need right now.  A Technical player.  Not a safety player. An entertainer ?  Someone who looks for the proper pass.  Not big enough to feature in Martin O'' Neills'' Celtic team of a few seasons ago.  If we were looking at a play-off place in the run in, then he might be the perfect supplier for our attack, his distribution must certainly be better than Hughes / Robinson.  But we''re not functioning well defensively at the moment, and I can''t see how putting him in central midfield, with Croft and Huckerby on the wings, will help us to defend. 

Is this type of player going to be able to help us grind out the results we need between now and the end of the season ?  Or did we need another in the frame of Dickson Etuhu ?

I have a feeling that we might end up with some entertaining games, but not many points.  I still don''t think we''ll get relegated though.

We keep hearing, "They''re not world class", "We don''t know about them", "I''m disappointed". What do people want with the money we have available? Let''s have Rio Ferdinand, Asshley Cole, Frank Lampard, Steve Gerrard! We couldn''t afford the agents'' fees plus signing on fees, let alone the wages and transfer fees!We, or at least I and a few others, have been saying for months now, that we all have to get real. We do not have the resources to buy proven players - there are too many clubs with millionaire backers who can outbid us. Our only possibility, given what Grant had to start with, was to grow our own youth players, which will take time, and/or take a risk on players with potential  from the lower leagues. We also need a better scouting system.I accept all this, and I am prepared to be patient, and give Grant time to build a team. Marshall is a stop gap, obviously?, but the other signings are young enough to be a nucleus for a few years to come. With relatively little outlay, and some are complaining that he did not blow it all at high January prices, he has done much to plug the mid-field gaps and strengthen us defensively.I am prepared to trust Gran''ts judgement, even on Brown. I think that we shall improve scoring from the midfield and set pieces, and when Ernie returns I am sure that we shall provide him with more amunition!

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="the armester"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="barclay headhunter"]

Chadwick

Marshall

Brown

Lappin

Fotheringham

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Congratulations. I''ll alert the media.

[/quote]Ouch!

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

I''m actually a bit concerned about Grants comments on Fotheringham.  Nothing personal against the player, I''m just not sure that he is the type of player we need right now.  A Technical player.  Not a safety player. An entertainer ?  Someone who looks for the proper pass.  Not big enough to feature in Martin O'' Neills'' Celtic team of a few seasons ago.  If we were looking at a play-off place in the run in, then he might be the perfect supplier for our attack, his distribution must certainly be better than Hughes / Robinson.  But we''re not functioning well defensively at the moment, and I can''t see how putting him in central midfield, with Croft and Huckerby on the wings, will help us to defend. 

Is this type of player going to be able to help us grind out the results we need between now and the end of the season ?  Or did we need another in the frame of Dickson Etuhu ?

I have a feeling that we might end up with some entertaining games, but not many points.  I still don''t think we''ll get relegated though.

[/quote]

I found his comments interesting too Blah. I think it is all about a balance in the side.

Huckerby will play upfront now until Earnie is fit. We''ve only really had a pair of mildfielders who lack any real creativity and should be breaking up play for the last two seasons - and it hasn''t worked.

I guess the idea now is to have 2 dimensions in centre midfield, giving the opposition something else to think about defensively rather than playing against 2 sitting players seemingly inviting pressure on themselves. There is enough quality in our side if they use the ball well enough.

We should be very tight with 2 holding central midfielders, but we''ve leaked so many goals. The proof will be in the pudding I guess, and a lot will depend on Safri/Etuhu or who ever is along Fozzy (if he starts of course)... [:|]