Sign in to follow this  
Seb

St Mirren Fans - Opinions on Lappin

Interesting views of the St Mirren fans and what they thought of Lappin

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17416

The general opinion seems to be he delivers an excellent ball, and is technically very good. Looks to be quite a departure from Huckerby on the left hand side, as Lappin appears to be more of a crosser and passer, as opposed to pace and dribbling.

Maybe a glimpse of the way Grant wants his team to play? I do hope so.

Why did they sell for £75k if he is so good???

Clearly isn''t fantastic in Scottish football so why should he be any good in the Championship???

Cheers for the link. They seem to only have positive things to say about him, and they didn''t want him to leave. Looking forward to Saturday!

because its Scotland and theres no money in the game up there Smudger.... 75 Grand is a heartty amount.. no one pays big apart from Celtic.. even Rangers cant compete financially

jas :)

[quote user="Smudger"]

Clearly isn''t fantastic in Scottish football so why should he be any good in the Championship???

[/quote]Because there is very little money outside the top 4 of the SPL. Also it sounds like the manager felt he couldn''t get in his way if an offer came in. Constantly on the negative, why don''t you think it of a steal? You may actually enjoy your life then instead of just waiting to be grumpy about something else. Or how about just have a cup of tea and watch neighbours. That relaxes me. Don''t forget the hobnob to go with of course

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

I think that''s very naiive...

Clearly there are bargains outside English football....look at the players Reading have signed for buttons out of the Irish league...or the guy from non league who scored Wolves'' winner agaginst us on Tuesday...

I also think that the positive opinions of the St. Mirren fans is a very good sign, and for a club of that stature with limited gate money, probably £100,000 is a lot of money to turn down...

Yeah....we ARE talking St. Mirren here aren''t we?.......or is this secret code for somewhere important?........

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

maybe because St Mirren area tiny club above their station who need money to keep going

Smudge: Well you''ll find out on Saturday around 4.45pm, so you may as well wait until then before giving up on a player who’s been here for less than 24hours!

You never know you may even feel charitable and give him a couple of games to settle in and get used to a new team.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

bloody hell smudger, I thought I was a cup half empty kinda guy but you......  If we get a win Saturday, we will probably be on target to avoid the relegation scramble...  Look on teh bright side for once, at least their fans rated him unlike Hooves and Etuhu.

Well done Grant!  Even if he aint good enough at least he werent half a million quid

Just texted a mate who''s a season ticket holder at love street and asked his opinion, his response:

''Well he''s not too quick, can''t really tackle, does nay score many, can''t take it past anyone BUT can cross a ball. I think we''ve done ok out of the deal''.

I merely post this for information, it''s one persons view but he know''s his football. At least once we see Lappin play it will help answer the question of the relative level between the top flight in Scotland and the second tier in england. I went to two St. Mirren games last year (their first division championship season) and saw decent passing football and committment from the team.  

Isn''t it encouraging to see the balanced arguments where ppl just write off new signings before they play. I say give the lads a few games to see what they can do before slagging them off

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Listen your opinions on NCFC are clear to all , but at the end of the day, we could bring in jesus himself and you wouldnt be happy.

You will only be happy if all your predictions of doom and gloom come true, so you can bask in your own pityfull world of negativity.

You havnt given one player thats come in this month a chance.

We got Lappin for 75k because he had a release clause in his contract whereby if a team offered that amount he would be allowed to leave; hence why we have a player who is clearly worth more than that figure.  Good business from Grant in my opinion.

[quote user="the1englishman"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Listen your opinions on NCFC are clear to all , but at the end of the day, we could bring in jesus himself and you wouldnt be happy.

You will only be happy if all your predictions of doom and gloom come true, so you can bask in your own pityfull world of negativity.

You havnt given one player thats come in this month a chance.

[/quote]Thankyou englishman, for saying everything i wanted to so succinctly. It must be depressing being you Smudger.

[quote user="Al Yellow"]

Just texted a mate who''s a season ticket holder at love street and asked his opinion, his response:

''Well he''s not too quick, can''t really tackle, does nay score many, can''t take it past anyone BUT can cross a ball. I think we''ve done ok out of the deal''.

I merely post this for information, it''s one persons view but he know''s his football. At least once we see Lappin play it will help answer the question of the relative level between the top flight in Scotland and the second tier in england. I went to two St. Mirren games last year (their first division championship season) and saw decent passing football and committment from the team.  

[/quote]I concede Lappin may be nay gud, on the flip side of the coin, however, your mate could be talking about David Beckham

I am a city fan currently living in scotland. my best mate up here is a st mirren fan so i go with him most weekends to watch them. I have seen a lot of simon lappin this season and saw the city scout there on saturday. Lappin is a good player. He shines in the st mirren sign (not that that is saying that much). He is quite quick and does have a good cross. he has a good touch and can take players on. My only criticism is that he is not that strong on the ball. But he will run all game for you. I think he will do ok for us but Grant says he can play anywhere down the left or in midfield. I cant really see that, not at left back anyway. My mate is very upset that we got him for 75,000 quid, he says he is worth more like 200,000. so that has to be good i suppose. its very hard to compare the standard of the SPL to the championship but i would say that he should be pretty decent for us, especially for so little money. Just dont play him at the back as PG has said he might. Lappin on the left and put hucks up front

I can remember two players we signed from St Mirren before.

1. Jimmy Blair - absolute pants, but did very well when he moved to Belgium.

2.Tommy Bryceland who was probably one of the best midfield players (They were inside-forwards then) ever to play for City. If Lappin is half as good as Tommy he''ll be an absolute steal.

Oh and by the way - Smudger, get a life.

[quote user="the1englishman"]

we could bring in jesus himself and you wouldnt be happy.

[/quote]Jesus? He''s so over-rated.  Sure his work-rate and commitment to the cause are first class, but he''s prone to injury and pretty lightweight... though I hear he''s good on the cross...Ahem.

[quote user="Snakepit Boy"]

Lappin might be great or he might be s***. But let''s give him a chance.

[/quote].He''s neither. But all this ''settling in stuff in such rubbish. He;s a grown man, a professional footballer. I dont need time to ''settle in'' when i work with a new crew (which is most jobs). I get on with it.Stop wrapping these over paid prima donnas in cotton wool. If hes good I''ll sing his name week in week out. If he''s sh1t I''ll let him know that too.Its my money.

Smudger wrote the following post at 01/02/2007 12:09 PM:

happy sole you are arent you.

i bet you dont get out much do you, nothing to do but moan, there is a few like you on hereZip it! [:#] why cant you keep it shut like this fellow

[quote user="Seb"]

Interesting views of the St Mirren fans and what they thought of Lappin

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17416

The general opinion seems to be he delivers an excellent ball, and is technically very good. Looks to be quite a departure from Huckerby on the left hand side, as Lappin appears to be more of a crosser and passer, as opposed to pace and dribbling.

Maybe a glimpse of the way Grant wants his team to play? I do hope so.

[/quote]

Simon Lappin,  the most i can make out from the St Mirren fans is that he''s a good crosser of the ball , so what has this to do with the price of gammon ? or in other words who in our front line is going to get on the end of them ? are we getting anything better than we have got ? Eagle is a good crosser of the ball as well you know , but lets hope he can bring something to us , something to change the free fall trend that we find ourselfs in , this is breaking my heart every time i look at the league .

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="the1englishman"]

[/quote]

Jesus? He''s so over-rated.  Sure his work-rate and commitment to the cause are first class, but he''s prone to injury and pretty lightweight... though I hear he''s good on the cross...

Ahem.
[/quote]

"Jesus saves" - we have got enough keepers already.

Virtually every signing we have made in recent years has been slated by their former fans outside of Ashton and Earnie.

Guess which two turned out to be the best players!

I think its encouraging that the St M. fans dont want hime to leave.

Most clubs fans laugh at us when we buy someone.

[quote user="the1englishman"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not a bad idea that, but hear he''s quite poor with crosses!!!!

[quote user="ray ducker"]

Simon Lappin,  the most i can make out from the St Mirren fans is that he''s a good crosser of the ball , so what has this to do with the price of gammon ? or in other words who in our front line is going to get on the end of them ? are we getting anything better than we have got ? Eagle is a good crosser of the ball as well you know , but lets hope he can bring something to us , something to change the free fall trend that we find ourselfs in , this is breaking my heart every time i look at the league .[/quote]

I''d settle for someone who can cross well from the left and leave Hucks to go forward.  In answer to your question ''who will get on the end of the crosses'' the answer is clear - Brown or DD.

We all wanted the side refreshed and PG has brought in 5 players, letting 2 go who most people wouldn''t miss bearing in mind the criticism they got whenever they played (though I did think Robbo was a decent player some of the time).  To me it seems like PG has a plan and is starting to get it in action, all we can do is give him a chance see where it takes us before we castigate him totally.

[quote user="USAcanary"]

Most clubs fans laugh at us when we buy someone.

[/quote]Especially Reading."Whats worst - is you paid for him Whats worst, is you paid for him............"  Ad Nausium