Sign in to follow this  
Barclay boy!!

Simon lappin better than expected

I think grant has done brilliantly to net simon lappin from reading a st. mirren transfer tlk website they are gutted to see him go and cant believe that they sold him for only £75,000 he is apparently a world class crosser with corners and in general play which we need also they say he is a very good free kick taker which is yet again another thing we need. I think Grant has done well to get Simon Lappin and Fatherington for so cheap.But lets wait n see

[quote user="ricky knight"]Yea we really had alot of competition to sign him did''nt we and we can bring him on for free kicks and corners, thats a bonus.[/quote]

If the guy can do nothing but take decent free kicks and corners he would be worth more than 75K

Our corners and free kicks have been abysmal for the last 3 years.

Isn''t it funny that a positive post is castaway to the back of the board where negative posts are all up there.

I too think Lappin will turn out to be a great player for us!

Grant doesnt want us to take corners - he wants short corners,  its their corner plan - take them short everytime,  watch his reaction when we dont.

[quote user="ricky knight"]Yea we really had alot of competition to sign him did''nt we and we can bring him on for free kicks and corners, thats a bonus.[/quote]

well that makes him worth more than Darren Huckerby by that reckoning doesnt it Ricky? Hucks seems incapable of kicking a stationary ball over a defender head at a corner

jas :)

[quote user="Tom NCFC"]

Isn''t it funny that a positive post is castaway to the back of the board where negative posts are all up there.

[/quote]

Tom......I admire the positivity shown by you and others...but can you not see that some of us see such high praise for a player who hasn''t kicked a ball for us yet as fantastical?  It this sort of stuff that grates on us...and is little more than "spin" to create a false reality.

Yes, lets hope he comes good.....but understand that many of us don''t figure life in such a naive way.

Not a dig....just an explanation of the alternative view.

I find it refreshing that people are welcoming our new signings, I''d much rather have these comments than the ones directed at Croft and Dublin at the start of the season.  Maybe the performances of these players have given people some hope that our new signings can be good too ?

reason why we had no competition is ebcause no one knew about him. i reckon grants scot connections ahve uncovered a gem for us, and for a cheap price, now we just need to hope hes as good as st mirren fans rate him, and brown can take a header.

[quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"][quote user="Tom NCFC"]

[/quote]

Tom......I admire the positivity shown by you and others...but can you not see that some of us see such high praise for a player who hasn''t kicked a ball for us yet as fantastical?  It this sort of stuff that grates on us...and is little more than "spin" to create a false reality.

Yes, lets hope he comes good.....but understand that many of us don''t figure life in such a naive way.

[/quote]Yes Tom, you have to absoloutley cain the lad before he''s played for us ala Dion, Chris Brown etc... none of this positive rubbish on here please.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Grant doesnt want us to take corners - he wants short corners,  its their corner plan - take them short everytime,  watch his reaction when we dont.[/quote]Could be because we were such pants at getting any consistent accuracy on the long ones! Grant seems an adaptable thinker, he might mix it up more now that we have somebody who is supposed to know how to deliver crosses consistently. I have no idea what Brown is like with his head though (our other ''big'' men have been atrocious lately)!Inspeccy Morse, whilst accepting your alternative slant, I''m going to wish for the best. I know wishes don''t always come true, but I won''t be negative about players I know nothing about (barring internet chat) until they''ve had a chance to prove themselves.I have to say, I have reservations about Fotheringhams ego, but if he plays like a Bellamy he can be as egotistical as he likes. After all we all have huge egos on here, thinking that our views are changing the world!

[/quote]

[/quote]

Interesting Cluck - who do you refer to in US? Have they asked you to speak for them? Are you their leader?

In which case I would suggest that it is you that finds this hard to handle as first hand evidence, you presume and then presume to talk on behalf of others to add weight to your opinion.

Quite frankly it seems nice that we have signed a player that can take set pieces, or all of the comments on the St. Mirren board are wrong, and I don''t think it does as much harm to be slightly over the top about a signing than being downright unsurpportive of it.

I think if we got a player from wroxham some of you on here would see it as a positive move. I say again i hope the guys turn out to be great and help us climb the league. I am questioning city''s ambition a player for 75 grand and a freebie who struggled in a german minor league and the excellent swiss league, also Celtic or Rangers did not want. Again i hope he turns out great.

Yes hucks came here on loan but his pedigree is abit better than this Foz guy and he pulled up the team by its boot laces, which i cant see this guy doing, again hope i am wrong.

I am ambitious in life and ambitious for my football team, if this annoys you guys, so be it.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Grant doesnt want us to take corners - he wants short corners,  its their corner plan - take them short everytime,  watch his reaction when we dont.[/quote] Yes I''v seen that too Zipper and the players always look to the bench for his reaction.

I personally think that some people are never happy. They''ll say one thing one week and another after that.

A lot of people are asking why are getting someone we have never heard of for £75,000 when not so long ago we were offering £2M for Morrison and then Cotterill after that?

people also said that we wasted a combined total of £1M on Hughes and Etuhu when Reading got Doyle for £50,000. And further slated the club for wasting the money on loan players and has-beens like Robinson (actually he probably was never anything) when we should have been scouring the lower leauges for players like him.

Thats a point! I wonder what would have happened if Reading never got Doyle and we signed him in the transfer window, what would people say? Doyle who? thats what springs to mind right now. I expect people would accuse the board of a lack of ambition etc.

At the end of the day Grant is a jock, so are the majority of his contacts, he has obviously stated his desires to these said contacts and this is what he has come up with.

It might be a Doyle or Kightly quality signing it might be a De Waard or Derveld. We shall see.

[quote user="Steve H"]

people also said that we wasted a combined total of £1M on Hughes and Etuhu when Reading got Doyle for £50,000. And further slated the club for wasting the money on loan players and has-beens like Robinson (actually he probably was never anything) when we should have been scouring the lower leauges for players like him.

[/quote]

Whe I say "Him" I meant Doyle not Robinson as in we should have been scouring the lower leauges for players like Doyle.

Grants agent is the same as the agent for Lappin, Fotheringham, Marshall and the potential new coach.

I wonder who else is on his books.?

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"][quote user="Tom NCFC"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Interesting Cluck - who do you refer to in US? Have they asked you to speak for them? Are you their leader?

In which case I would suggest that it is you that finds this hard to handle as first hand evidence, you presume and then presume to talk on behalf of others to add weight to your opinion.

Quite frankly it seems nice that we have signed a player that can take set pieces, or all of the comments on the St. Mirren board are wrong, and I don''t think it does as much harm to be slightly over the top about a signing than being downright unsurpportive of it.

[/quote]

Now...let me see......US generally means more than one person?

Hope this helps.

X Cluck.

[quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"][quote user="chicken"][quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"][quote user="Tom NCFC"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Now...let me see......US generally means more than one person?

Hope this helps.

X Cluck.

[/quote]Hmmmm!It seems quite clear that it was fully understood that US referred to more than one person.  Hence the question "Who does us refer to?"Also, the message that kicked off this thread was positive, but well balanced.The write was merely noting that, based on information from St Mirren forums, they THOUGHT we had got a good buy.There was no blowing him up as "fantastical".  Further, this was information passing from one supporters forum to another, thus where the idea of "spin" comes from I don''t know.What I suggest really grates you Cluck is that someone has dared voice an opinion different from yours.I for one am optimistim about Lappin and really hope thathe shows the promise that the St Mirren fasn beleive he can.  No spin, no fantastical beliefs, just plain hope!

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed but that didn''t stop an awful lot of people saying Brown was a rubbish signing did it!! This has to work both ways, a player should be judged on the whole of his time at the club not just the first 10 games. After his first season we would all have got shot of Iwan and look how he turned out, likewise Mackay! Similarly, David Neilsen started like a house and fire but overall he was an average player who failed to score in his final 12 months at the club.

[quote user="Steve H"][quote user="Steve H"]

[/quote]

Whe I say "Him" I meant Doyle not Robinson as in we should have been scouring the lower leauges for players like Doyle.

[/quote]

i think the lower leges scout us cos they know that many of are players belong there

Grants agent is the same as the agent for Lappin, Fotheringham, Marshall and the potential new coach.

Where did you see that? Not doubting, just interested.

[quote user="Fat Barman"]Grants agent is the same as the agent for Lappin, Fotheringham, Marshall and the potential new coach.

Where did you see that? Not doubting, just interested.[/quote]That could have quite serious implications..... Moderators beware

On Radio Scotland on Thursday they were discussing the Lappin transfer. Reporter Chick Young,who is a St Mirren supporter, obviously thinks very highly of the lad as he stated that the transfer could result in the team being relegated, and that the only people happy with the transfer are Dunfermline and their supporters as this will give them a glimmer of hope of remaining in the SPL!

FBM - was about to answer then saw this.

TO7 - what implications? What''s the big deal?

If I''m wrong, how is it any worse that the 90% of the rest of the rumours on this board?

If Im right, then so what, good on Grant for using his business connections, as anyone would?

[quote user="ricky knight"]

I think if we got a player from wroxham some of you on here would see it as a positive move. I say again i hope the guys turn out to be great and help us climb the league. I am questioning city''s ambition a player for 75 grand and a freebie who struggled in a german minor league and the excellent swiss league, also Celtic or Rangers did not want. Again i hope he turns out great.

Yes hucks came here on loan but his pedigree is abit better than this Foz guy and he pulled up the team by its boot laces, which i cant see this guy doing, again hope i am wrong.

I am ambitious in life and ambitious for my football team, if this annoys you guys, so be it.

[/quote]

the swiss league is a good standard... Most of the international team play, or have played there at some point, FC Basle are regulars in the Champions league and Uefa cup too.. as are SYB young Boys and Zurich Grasshoppers.

Just because their games arent covered on TV like Italy, and spain doesnt mean the league is a poor standard.. theres a lot of money in swiss Football... and as its on the border of Italy, Germany and France it attracts some good players too

jas :)