Sign in to follow this  
SM

Martin better than Brown?

for those who attended todays game, how many of you thought martin looked lots better than brown. i thought brown looked clumsy when in possesion and kept tripping over his own feet when he had the ball. but martin looked really sharp, and his passing, abbility to turn defenders and workrate impressed me. good signs for he future providing grant brings him on every week or maybe even gives him a start. 

Different sorts of player. Martin is a really good prospect only 17. Sharp hungry good touch and vision. He will soon be starting.  Brown doesnt have pace but was dertermined and worked hard in the air. Ran out of steam a bit but will serve us well.  Martin was plucked out of the Accadamy by PG. I am not sure yet about PG`s tactical play but I do think he can spot a good prospect.

Absolutely

I don''t want to slag off Brown too much but Martin looked at lot sharper and I would play him above Brown for sure.

[quote user="Dan Grant"]for those who attended todays game, how many of you thought martin looked lots better than brown. i thought brown looked clumsy when in possesion and kept tripping over his own feet when he had the ball. but martin looked really sharp, and his passing, abbility to turn defenders and workrate impressed me. good signs for he future providing grant brings him on every week or maybe even gives him a start. [/quote]

Well they''re different types of players really. I thought Brown did the best he could today. He won the ball and he used it quite well when he had decent support. He''s not overblessed with pace though so he needs somebody alongside him.

Martin looked bright when he came on but because he''s a young player coming through the youth ranks lots of people are going to be inclined to think he''s awesome. Where lots of our young players are concerned people seem to wear the rose tinted goggles. I''m not saying I don''t think he''s got ability because I think he has. I''m sure if PG thinks he''s ready for it then he''ll get definitely get a chance.

I think that Brown has the attributes in terms of skill and ability, but ''needs to get his head right'' (does that sound familiar??!!). At times in possession, he looked like a rabbit in the headlights. A goal will do him the world of good.

In contrast, Martin looked full of confidence and is definitely one for the future. His energy and aggression were refreshing and he was very close to getting on to the end of some moves.

As for the starting line-up, I think that this is difficult to call; Martin and Hux would be a good combination IF we are able to play a passing game. 

I agree with the comments above highlighting that they are totally different player and in todays game played totally different roles.

Martin played for 20 mins or so and again impressed with his touch and movement but hasnt really threatened the goal any more than Brown has.  Martin played in the period of the game where our confidence was up rather than down and with a partner.  However he did impress.

Brown played as a lone striker and lead the line well,  he won some ball but no one was close enough for us to benefit, he had a couple of turns that looked good but started to tire when he finally got some support from HUx.

What we have is a chance to change things,  we have hux as the main one and can now partner him with one of brown, martin, dion, thorne, jarvis or WLY.  Options are a valuable thing and I am happy to keep using both brown and martin over the next couple of games. 

Brown is far to clumsy! i know he has only played twice but he seems a poor striker thus far... he went round the kepper and missed when he had an open goal today! worrying!

jas :)

It''s a bit like trying to compare the north pole to the south pole.

Both very cold with lots of snow but one has penguins and the other has polar bears.

Similar yet very different.

I am aware that they are different players, but i was just saying on todays game martin looked alot better than brown (most probably due to the fact that he needs a pacy partner to play with him). Pace isn''t essential but it does help, thats probably why martin looked better. hopefully brown can learn of dublin and will improve with time and then we may have a half decent player.

OTBC 

Brown''s CV said he was a good "target" man....but his agent conveniently omitted the words "with paint-ball gun".....

Devilish cunning these agents.........[;)]

to be fair to Brown he was up front on his own for the majority of his time on the pitch whereas Martin was up alongside Hucks against tiring players who were chasing the game and committing people forward

Brown has had a little more than a handful of games at this level. He''s a proven flop to date.Hardly rocket science.

Martin was ten times better. He was 6 inches away from a hatrick today. Brown although he had an ok game, didn''t set the world a light.

I''d start with Martin any day.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Brown is far to clumsy! i know he has only played twice but he seems a poor striker thus far... he went round the kepper and missed when he had an open goal today! worrying!

[/quote]

I''m pretty sure he knew he was offside when he missed the open goal. Fair enough he''s not going to be Sammy Eto''o but he''s shown enough to suggest he could prove to be a good signing.

[quote user="Spilt Diesel"]Brown has had a little more than a handful of games at this level. He''s a proven flop to date.

Hardly rocket science.
[/quote]

Hmmm. How can you be a proven flop after a handful of games!?

Give the lad a break. He did OK with limited service and on his own up front. Lets see how he gets on next week when he has the chance to (hopefully) start alongside a rejuvinated Huckerby. Martin has looked OK, no more.

[quote user="Stevie Wonder"]

Hmmm. How can you be a proven flop after a handful of games!?

[/quote]Easy, every game he''s played he''s been unimpressive. Take  a look at Black Cats forusAs for being 6 inches away from a hatrick ????? LOL

[quote]

As for being 6 inches away from a hatrick ????? LOL
[/quote]

You obviously don''t go to the games Diesel? He was six inches away from 3 potential goals. That makes him 6 inches (x3) away from a hatrick.

I wasn''t saying brown is s**t, i was just saying how good our academy prospect is. brown could turn into another iwan for all i know which i really hope happens because at 22 he could be here for many years to come.

I thought Martin looked very good. He''s quick, isn''t he. Nice touch too, and a decent passer of the ball. Seemed to win a fair few headers, and wasn''t afraid to try things. Ok, it was against Leeds. But he looks promising.Brown hasn''t really impressed at all so far. Ok, we haven''t seen much, and on Saturday he got isolated. Not helped by the fact that he isn''t very fast, and generally seemed to stand on the ball or fall over it, when attempting to bring it under control. If he''s considered the best we have got by Grant, I hope Hucks and Dublin have a lot more goals in them this season.

not impressed by Brown yesterday, but he hasn''t been here anywhere near long enough to judge.  He looked better after the break when Grant finally dumped his stupid uber defensive formation for a more orthodox 4-4-2.

Martin has looked hungry and talented.  Hopefully he will make the grade, and for one of our youth products he actually has a decent frame.  The likes of Hendo, Eagle and Jarvis have all seemed lightweight.

Brown is certainly no loan striker. As a team, we looked far more likely to score when we went 4-4-2 and Martin came on. As other posters have said, Martin and Brown are different types of player. IMO, though, Martin looks more effective than Brown and so should start the next match.

So far, Brown has done nothing different to how the Sunderland fans said he would be.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Martin has looked hungry and talented.  Hopefully he will make the grade, and for one of our youth products he actually has a decent frame.  The likes of Hendo, Eagle and Jarvis have all seemed lightweight.

[/quote]

I agree 100% CJF!

[quote user="Cheeky Monkey"]

[quote]

As for being 6 inches away from a hatrick ????? LOL[/quote]

You obviously don''t go to the games Diesel? He was six inches away from 3 potential goals. That makes him 6 inches (x3) away from a hatrick.

[/quote]Thats 18 inches then....LOLI was 4 foot six away from winning the lottery saturday.......

[quote user="Spilt Diesel"][quote user="Cheeky Monkey"]

[quote]

As for being 6 inches away from a hatrick ????? LOL
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thats 18 inches then....LOL

I was 4 foot six away from winning the lottery saturday.......
[/quote]

As I suspected an armchair supporter - bless em.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Can anyone remember Iwan''s first season, people were saying similar things