Sign in to follow this  
Duffman

Looking forward to Leeds

About Mark Fortheringham:

"He is different from the midfield players we have got. He wants to get on the ball, he wants to create in the opposition half. He is not the quickest, but he has very good feet."

“He is one of these guys who can do it left or right, he''s comfortable. He will try and see a pass, he won''t be frightened to give the ball away with trying the proper pass - he will have a go for it."

FINALLY we might just have a midfielder who can take a game by the scruff and run the show for us. For 2 seasons now we''ve had Safri,Etuhu,Robinson,Hughes and none of them have shown a consistent interest in attacking, they all tend to leave it up to eachother and then it never gets done. With Safri holding and breaking up play and Etuhu with box to box runs and bringing the wide men into play that leaves Fozzy with the license to roam in the final third and hopefully try them passes that unlock defences.....Its typical that Earnie has been waiting all season for that type of player to open a defence up with 1 pass so he can run on and score, oh well hopefully he ''ll get a chance next season.

Im well up for tomorrow, all the fans and the team pushing in the right direction can only help us and Im hoping the team will play well and with a good high tempo and we can really make some noise and drown out Dirty Leeds !!!!!

Apologies if this post is a bit too positive for this time of the morning, I''ve got red bull :)

I was thinking of starting a thread, more or less just like this! Fozzy certainly does seem to sound like the midfielder we''ve been missing, and could work well with hucks while he is upfront. And Lappin will hopefully supply the crosses for Brown to get his head on.

I should think both new boys will be playing, im looking forward to it, and i think the crowd will be up for it aswell. We all know we have to push in the same direction (well most of us do anyway).

I think he''s the biggest gamble of the month and I hope it pays off. He seems to have had trouble integrating at previous clubs. I wouldn''t want him spoiling for a fight with the rest of the team. I also worry that he and Hucks may be competing, rather than complementing. Hopefully I''m wrong and he lights up Carrow road for this season and the next.

And if he turns out to be a damp squib??  Please, please temper this boundless enthusiasm until he has played!!!!  Mulryne was apparently the midfielder we needed, but never really was.  If this guy is better, then why does nobody else want him, why was he released from other clubs, and why has he played so few games in the past three years.

[quote user="no1canary"]I was thinking of starting a thread, more or less just like this! Fozzy certainly does seem to sound like the midfielder we''ve been missing, and could work well with hucks while he is upfront. And Lappin will hopefully supply the crosses for Brown to get his head on. I should think both new boys will be playing, im looking forward to it, and i think the crowd will be up for it aswell. We all know we have to push in the same direction (well most of us do anyway).[/quote]

[quote user="JC"]

And if he turns out to be a damp squib??  Please, please temper this boundless enthusiasm until he has played!!!!  Mulryne was apparently the midfielder we needed, but never really was.  If this guy is better, then why does nobody else want him, why was he released from other clubs, and why has he played so few games in the past three years.

[quote user="no1canary"]I was thinking of starting a thread, more or less just like this! Fozzy certainly does seem to sound like the midfielder we''ve been missing, and could work well with hucks while he is upfront. And Lappin will hopefully supply the crosses for Brown to get his head on. I should think both new boys will be playing, im looking forward to it, and i think the crowd will be up for it aswell. We all know we have to push in the same direction (well most of us do anyway).[/quote]

[/quote]

I knew my post was going to be too positive for at least one person.

I believe that he sounds very much like Koumas except a little bit more hard working. Koumas was someone everyone wanted on this message board. I love it people want to write the guy off before he has started. I''ve never seen him but its rare for Grant to big a player up quite so much and normally to be fair to him he is generally correct about individuals. I look forward to seeing him

You can kind of understand it though, can''t you. All season we''ve read these positive descriptions in the press, only for things to subsequently peter out on the pitch. I''m cautiously optimistic about tomorrow''s match and really, really hope the new players can have the kind of positive impact that Hucks had on his NCFC debut. We really need something to galvanise the team and get the fans united behind them with a sense of optimism again. It may be that they immediately strike up an understanding with Hucks or Brown, or they might prove to be no more effective than they players they replace. We''ll just have to approach tomorrow''s match with an open mind, a clean slate, and see what happens. Let''s just do everything we can to make good things happen!

Sorry did not realise that blinkered enthusiasm without considering reality was prequisite for replying to your illustrious thread.  So you disagree with my points then? 

I am glad that the fact he ''sounds'' like the player we are missing has satisfied you, I apologise for needing evidence more concrete than that.

I even just read on this forum that he ''sounds like Koumas but better'' (or something equally dumb).  If he was as good as Koumas, then clubs would have been in for him!  Koumas is a sought after player, ''Fozzy'' was wanted by nobody other than Norwich, much the same as Robinson.

There is certainly not an idiot shortage around here at the minute.

[quote user="JC"]

[/quote]

You got that right.

Fozzy certainly does seem to sound like the midfielder we''ve been missing....

and Etuhu was the goal scoring midfielder we had been missing since Francis left.

and The Doc was the defensive rock that we had been missing since...erm, well,.....

[quote user="JC"]

Sorry did not realise that blinkered enthusiasm without considering reality was prequisite for replying to your illustrious thread.  So you disagree with my points then? 

I am glad that the fact he ''sounds'' like the player we are missing has satisfied you, I apologise for needing evidence more concrete than that.

I even just read on this forum that he ''sounds like Koumas but better'' (or something equally dumb).  If he was as good as Koumas, then clubs would have been in for him!  Koumas is a sought after player, ''Fozzy'' was wanted by nobody other than Norwich, much the same as Robinson.

[/quote]

Best and most down to earth/realistic post I have read in weeks JC....

I haven''t seen anybody openly slagging off the new signings yet... all some of us are asking is that if they are so good then why did we appear to be the only club really interested in them???

I also pointed out as have one or two others that the midfield was not a priority area for strengthening...  We are crying out for a quality striker and a couple of defenders...

Why is it that the dumb brigade on here have to go on the offensive just because a few of us are reserving our judgement on these two new signings???

I guess we''ll have to wait and see what the new boys are like. But until then, i''ll try my best to be positive about it. Is there any harm in that? Its not bein over-positive, just looking on the brighter side of things. That may not be for everyone, but its the way i like to deal with things.

If i was just going to dread going tomorrow, then i may aswell not bother turning up.

[quote user="Smudger"]

Why is it that the dumb brigade on here have to go on the offensive just because a few of us are reserving our judgement on these two new signings???

[/quote]

You are reserving your judgement....?  On the question of new signings, you said.......

[quote user="Smudger"]

You are joking...  the transfer window could hardly of been any worse....

Obviously we are in preperation for our relegation fight in Div 1 (Div 3) next year!!!!

[/quote]

I would love to see what unreserved is [:p].

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="JC"]

[/quote]

Best and most down to earth/realistic post I have read in weeks JC....

I haven''t seen anybody openly slagging off the new signings yet... all some of us are asking is that if they are so good then why did we appear to be the only club really interested in them???

I also pointed out as have one or two others that the midfield was not a priority area for strengthening...  We are crying out for a quality striker and a couple of defenders...

[/quote]

Didnt I read somewhere that you dont even go to games anymore? so I would like to think that regardless of how they perform you wont be passing judgement on them at all, I mean you cant comment on something you''ve never seen. That is unless you will just trust the opinion of others when they come on here.

We were the only club interested in him ?? Im sure that a little team called Rangers were after him and the only reason he didnt sign for them was because they couldnt guarantee him 1st team football straightaway. Have you not considered that PG used his contacts to get in there and offer him this contract before any other team had a chance to do anything about it, PG seems to know an awful lot about loads of players and its almost like everywhere he''s been he''s made notes of certain players in anticipation that when he becomes a manager himself he will go after these players.

Im not posting stuff about these players being the next big thing or the saviour of our season, just trying to put a positive spin on things as we''ve had months of gloom and doom. It has to change sometime.....or wouldnt you like that ?

For me it''s all about the aptitude of the manager and his ability to bring the best out of the players - a single example of a good manager with the aptitude required in getting the best out of his playing staff is Geraint Williams, who on paper took the reigns of a club with less talented players than ours.

Where Worthington lost the players, Grant came in with the opportunity to start from scratch and boost those players morale and get ''em performing again, an opportunity that a manager with the right aptitude would''ve surely executed with a degree of success - It''s obvious that Grant doesn''t have that special aptitude and he will struggle for some years to acquire it, if he ever does- for that reason I personally feel that it would make no difference if we had signed Joe Cole & Ronaldo in place of  Lappin & Fotheringham respectively.

I''m tired of hearing the lame excuses for Grant, such as his taking over the shite squad that Worthington built...

It''s difficult to take in, and I for one certainly don''t want to believe it, but it is possible that Grant is no better or worse than Worthington as a football manager.

[quote user="JC"]

[/quote]I actually wrote he sounds like Koumas except he is more of a hard worker. If you want to change what someone says then write for The Sun. If you have to change the words for a quotation then your argument is already flawed. I didn''t say that he was a better player i just said he was a player of simular style except more hard working (which i believe is a negative of Koumas''s game). At this current time we cannot afford players of Koumas''s price,  but we can buy players and develop them which is what Grant is striving to do. To call someone an idiot for an opinion is bizzarre and says more about you than the others on this board. I feel at the moment some fans are almost willing the team to do badly to prove themselves right. If i am not mistaken Koumas wasn''t greatly sought after in the Summer either, having to return to his club due to nobody wanting to pay the price tag. It will probably turn out Koumas is a better player than "Fozzy" but i''m sorry but i like to have faith in new players otherwise they never get any support.