Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

LAPPIN.............BARGAIN OR WOT

[quote user="ricardo"]What a pinch for 75 grand. Eat your words Smudger![/quote]

Come on ricardo, be fair. Smudger would feel a lot better if the player had cost 750,000. Of course, Smudger reaches these conclusions without attending matches. I don''t attend matches either but I am not trying to run everyone associated with management out of town.

Definitely seems to be a quality player. Obviously it''s always sensible not to get carried away but he had a superb game today and seemingly had all the right attributes to continue it. Excellent left foot.

I thought he looked good today. But perhaps he wasn''t so good on the wireless, so people like Smudge will have to wait for our next TV game to pass judgement.

No, I''m happy to confirm that he also sounded excellent on the wireless - even with Yorkshire commentators!

Funnily enough they also thought Etuhu was lazy, so its not just us.

And finally they almost wet themselves laughing when McVeigh came on.

I thought Lappin had a decent game, and looked a tidy player. His first touch was good, as was his passing overall.  As regards to his defending (pay attention Adam Drury) he closed down the opposition''s right midfield, continually preventing them from crossing the ball.I''m told his more usual position is left midfield, so there is more to come. We only got glimpses of his crossing ability in open play. So a  positive start, even if it was against lowly Leeds.

We can''t have paid 75,000 for this chap... seriously, there must be a zero  missing. oh well i don''t care. Great debut by Lappin, Fotheringham never really seemed to get that much of the ball, but at least he wanted it, and played one very good pass to the head of dion across the pitch at 1-1  

good debut, he looks a bargain - there''s more to come for sure, but disappointed with his crossing, all seemed to head right for the goalies gloves - if he is the best crosser in scotland, god knows what the rest are like

[quote user="ricardo"]What a pinch for 75 grand. Eat your words Smudger![/quote]

Come on Ricardo and Yankee Canary, there''s no need to get nasty, I thought all that had stopped on here.

He was certainly very assured and as has been stated earlier he wanted the ball at every opportunity, something that has been sadly missing in some of our players of late. However, it is just one game - Keith Scott scored in his first 2 games for Norwich........

By the way, was it just me or did it look like Lappin (& Dublin) was holding his hamstring in the last couple of minutes?

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Come on Ricardo and Yankee Canary, there''s no need to get nasty, I thought all that had stopped on here.

[/quote]

That’s rich from the wizard!!

Yes he was good,but we cant get carried away after just one game.A few more performances like that and i will be singing his praises like you.

Wiz,

I agree that it should be a thing of the past but I''m afraid that Smudger has been so unbelievably obnoxious over the last couple of weeks that it is impossible to resist when he gets a bit of egg on his face. In your posts, though I feel they are sometimes quite often overly negative, it is quite obvious that you passionately care about our club. He, on the other hand, quite obviously relishes the prospect of being proven right even if it is to the detriment of our club. And, to quote your own personal mantra about not abusing other city fans, how does this sit with his assertion last week that 99 per cent of city fans are pathetic sheep who deserve relegation. Methinks you are aiming your criticism in the wrong direction.      

I thought Lappin had a very good debut. He really does have a sweet left foot. Great in-swinger from a free kick in first half too. Not, for me, MOM (that would be Dublin), but very encouraging indeed. Why is it smudger never materialises on any positive posts?

I said on here before the game stop all the ludicrous optimism until you all saw the new boys.

One game does not show the real picture, as they were debuts.  However, one first evidence, Lappin looks a solid defender, and is not afraid to run at men down the left, and has a very good left footed cross.  Fotheringham looks like the player Phil Mulryne never was, in terms of his creativity, but mixed with energy and getting arounf the pitch, being comfortable on bothe feet, and strong.

These boys could just turn out to be a bargain. 

Certainly caught the eye, from a distance he looked very simular to a

former defencive hero Steen Nedergaard .If he is anywhere as good as

him we have got to have got a bargain OTBC

I think it''s interesting that on this thread people seem to be adopting a more...sensible/cautious approach to Lappin. Saying that although he''s played one really good game we''ll need to see more before we can judge.

Yet on other places on this forum people are more or less building Chris Martin up to be the next Thierry Henry after a couple of brief appearances and expect him to be in the first team.

Yes I know it was only one game but lets face if he had had a stinker there would have been enough people on here slagging him off for it saying what a waste of transfer money blah blah blah -  so why should there be people praising him for a good game

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

No intention to get nasty Wiz but Smdger seems determined to see the negative side of everying. For example, Lappin only cost 75k ergo, he has to be rubbish.

I know its only one game but anyone with half a brain could see ample proof that this guy can play football. Perhaps if Smudger attended a few more games in person instead of relying on second hand evidence he might see it too.

I also thought Fotheringham looked the part and finished strongly. All in all I''m quite satisfied that Granty has done some good business with these two.

He was superb! The Sunday Mirror only gave him 5 but Hughes 7! The reporter is an idiot or wasn''t at the game. Bigs doubts about Grant but now he is getting his own men in I may have to eat my words, they did well. Mind you Safs, Hucks and Dion did their bit. One swallow does not make a Summer but yesterday was well worth the 400 mile round trip plus a beer festival at the Rose with my daughter driving: Bliss!

it was ''one'' game against the bottom team in  the league with several of their best players missing.

Do we have to ''score points'' just yet?

How about waiting waiting for a few games against decent opposition. After all, even Etuhu has a good game occassionally.