Sign in to follow this  
Hartsons Gut

Who wants Martin to start?

Now Earny out, we need someone who can score the goals. Martin is that man. Scoring for fun in the youth academy I would play him alongside Dublin. It needs to be Dublin, Martin needs the experienced frontman up with him to create the goals.

Good Luck Chris

[quote user="a1canary"]I love your signature fact nutty - can you elaborate on when and which the clubs it was for?
It''s some achievement. Better even than Tony Cottee''s of being the only player ever to play at all 3 levels of professional football in one season (2000/2001).  They were:

Leicester (prem), Norwich (d1), Barnet (d3) and Millwall (d2).

p.s. Back to topic - start Martin, give him an hour plus, then give WLY a go from the bench.
[/quote]

Robbie Earnshaw has scored hat-tricks against Charlton in the Premiership (2004-5), Gillingham in the First Division (2003-4), QPR in the Second Division (2002-3) and Torquay in the Third Division (2000-1).

He''s scored three against Leyton Orient in the League Cup (2003-4) and Bristol City in the FA Cup (2000-01), and for good measure also hit a hat-trick against Scotland in 2004.

I love the fact that he plays for us. He is a bright light in very gloomy times but somehow he still manages to attract his share of negative posts on this board!

There''s maybe only a couple of lads at the club who qualify as ''promising''. The reason Jarvis and Henderson haven''t got anywhere is because of a lack of ability, not a lack of opportunity. Just giving people games isn''t going to turn them into footballers. Norwich are short of quality youngsters.

A lot of fans seem to love Shackell because he''s a youth product that has made it into the first team. But if Norwich were really going anywhere then he wouldn''t be in the lineup. When he hoofs the ball clear in a no nonsense kind of way everyone thinks he''s done something great but at the Plymouth game (as an example) did anybody notice when he lost headers to Kevin Gallen who''s a few inches shorter than him or when he stood off Barry Hayles so much he could get the ball down and play it everytime?

I don''t understand why people think our youth players have got so much to offer us because just by watching the odd reserve game or what not it should be fairly clear to see that we''ve not got much to get excited about.

Filling the team with young players will only help Norwich fall further down the table.

I''m not an expert on City youth players, but I think GJP is being a bit harsh here.Jarvis does appear to lack application (not ability), he drifts through games too often. I ask myself whether this isn''t because he just isn''t stretched enough at youth level? Reserve games are a joke - when you can find one - and Ryan needs first team football to shake up his ideas. We''re unlikely to give him that chance now, but he might come good somewhere else.Henderson''s had a really rough time. When he first played for the first XI he looked so promising, scoring goals and really making an impact. Unfortunately he was persistently played on the wing where, despite always giving his best efforts, he became the target of the boo-boys as part of a side that under-performed as poorly as the current squad. Unable to force a place as striker, he virtually disappeared when Rivers came in and we went through our promotion season virtually unchanged. Hendo only got another chance after relegation, once again played out wide in a season when we had Ashton, then Earnshaw up front. Going on loan to a club who''ll play him up front is the best thing to happen to him in years and I wish him luck.Jason Shackell is by no means a complete defender, but he is still learning his trade. You only have to look back to how much more assured he looked when playing alongside Dublin to see the potential he has. Centre-Back in a team low on confidence is a tough place to develop - even the highly rated Anton Ferdinand has looked poor this season, as Wet Sham struggle - basic errors, nothing to do with being in the Prem. Shackell could be a great player for this club, if he doesn''t get discouraged by too much barracking.We have highly motivated, quality young players who are being selected to represent their national squads - Cave-Brown, Spillane, Renton and Lewis - and a manager who actually watches them play (unlike his predecessor). Don''t write off the Academy.

nutty nigel, are you sure it was against scotland for wales? thought it was against a different country, but my apologies if you are right and i am wrong.

[quote user="baldyboy"]nutty nigel, are you sure it was against scotland for wales? thought it was against a different country, but my apologies if you are right and i am wrong.[/quote]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/3496099.stm

No worries baldyboy.

I had to check out the stats when A1 asked so I know it was right. I''d love him to score some hat-tricks for us now. I think if he had played for us in better days he would be more of a fans favourite which he deserves to be. Although he doesn''t score hat-tricks for us his record of 25 goals in 42 games speaks for itself.

[quote user="Fat Barman"]I''m not an expert on City youth players, but I think GJP is being a bit harsh here.

Jarvis does appear to lack application (not ability),

Henderson''s had a really rough time.

We have highly motivated, quality young players who are being selected to represent their national squads - Cave-Brown, Spillane, Renton and Lewis - and a manager who actually watches them play (unlike his predecessor). Don''t write off the Academy.
[/quote]

I don''t think I am really, I think I''m just a bit more realistic.

Jarvis clearly lacks ability, he lacks pace and strength. If he had what it takes he''d have done something by now, I think most City fans would accept that.

Hendo...I like him because he''s not afraid to work hard but he does lack that cutting edge. Where you''d see Hucks or Crofty drop a shoulder to beat a man and show a bit of guile Hendo doesn''t really have that in his locker.

Do any of them boys play for their U21s? When they start playing international U21 football then you know you''ve got a bit of quality on your hands. When it''s just U19 and U20 etc it''s not the same standard.

To describe our current academy products as being ''highly motivated, quality young players'' is completely over the top. It''s building them up to be something they''re not.

I will say though...I rather like the look of Joe Lewis and I actually think Grant should have given him a go by now.