Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

What is our true hardcore support?

All this talk about renewing season tickets or choosing games as casual fans has got me thinking. A poster on here made the comment that they wouldn''t be renewing their season ticket because they would be happier choosing when to go rather than feeling obliged to go. Now before anyone shouts about being loyal supporters, and keeping the season ticket through thick and thin, just think for a moment like I have.

I thought that poster made a very valid point, because just maybe we have casual fans holding season tickets. I am not using the term "casual fan" as a criticism either but there never has been a time where we have had such a large volume of season ticket holders.

In season 93/94 we were in the Premier League and playing in Europe yet we had a home league attendance of 14,000. That suggests to me that even in those heady days we only had probably 9/10,000 season ticket holders and that that 14,000 give or take a few away fans was our hardcore support.

After it all went wrong for Robert Chase, our second season after relegation (96/97) Home gates of 14,000 or less had become quite common. During that season we had a home league attendance against Portsmouth of 11,946. Not sure how many season ticket holders we had then but I bet it was no more than about 9,000 and our hardcore support had proved to be just 12,000. The following season (97/98) saw crowds decline even further and a home league attendance of 9,819 would suggest that our hardcore support had dropped to below 10,000. This was probably our lowest hardcore support of the modern era and attendances gradually improved in the following seasons.

By November 2001 we had got back a hardcore support of 14,000 when Worthington took over.

Now, love Worthy or hate him, nobody can deny that our attendences grew by 66% in the time he was at the club. Of course there are other factors but the people running this club over the last 5 years deserve more credit for this growth in support than they are getting at the moment. During the playoff season in 2001/02 our hardcore support had risen to over 16,000. The following season, even though it was slightly disappointing, hardcore support had risen to 18,500.

In our promotion season the gates were restricted because of building the new stand. So for much of the season 2/3,000 of the new hardcore support couldn’t get to see their team. But as things came together on the pitch, the excitement of the loan players and then going top of the league and signing Hux for Christmas supporters couldn’t wait for the stand to open. There was so much good feeling and optimism that by the end of that season our hardcore support had risen to over 22,000 and season tickets sold out easily for the Premier League. All the fans were happy and there was even a waiting list capped I think at 2,000.

After relegation some season ticket holders didn’t renew but people on the waiting list made up the shortfall. Last season was disappointing but many people still renewed in the hope that the clubs fortunes would change and more success would come. This season it hasn’t, performances are often dire and the fans are unhappy.

Now the hardcore support on paper is still over 22,000 but of course in this season of unrest and poor performances this figure is definitely false, being boosted by the amount of season ticket holders who would have stayed away from a lot of games had they been casual fans.

Next season I wouldn’t be surprised to see the hardcore support drop to 18,000 or less as people give up their season tickets and pick and choose their games. I don’t think we should be too worried about this as long as the club doesn’t go into further decline. This figure is still 8,000 up on the last time we were in this position. It was obvious that we would lose some of the season ticket holders who came during the better days although many of them will probably remain loyal for at least another season. However, a good start to next season and a promotion challenge, or even a steady top half and play-off challenge could see many of the casual fans coming more and more often. And of course, paying a lot more money than the season ticket holders for the privilege.

I think that you''re probably right nutty, 18,000 season ticket holders makes more room for the casuals, so you''d probably get gates of 20,000+ for most matches still.  The atmosphere in the ground might improve too, with fewer people being there out of financial obligation, and day-trippers like myself enjoying the odd game as a treat.

I think most of this season''s hardcore, will be used during the close-season as foundations - for the next construction extravaganza, that is "Delia''s A la Carter''s, plc."

"FOODBALL FOR ALL THE FAMILY!" "ON THE BOIL in the bag CITY!"

"INFINITE PATIENCE!" at gas mark 7.   

isnt a hardcore "supporter" someone who gets their passport taken away before every international Tournament, has a skin head, and wears burberry or aquascutum clothing?

jas :)

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

I think most of this season''s hardcore, will be used during the close-season as foundations - for the next construction extravaganza, that is "Delia''s A la Carter''s, plc."

"FOODBALL FOR ALL THE FAMILY!" "ON THE BOIL in the bag CITY!"

"INFINITE PATIENCE!" at gas mark 7.   

[/quote]

Mello you''re a legend as I have said before.  I''m still convinced you''re Karl Minns btw . . .

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="SPat"]err, Jenna Jameson?[/quote]

was a serious post SPat....... get ya mind out of the gutter [;)]

[/quote]

Sorry. bored at work, my mind wandered ;-)

As we were only getting an average of 13 or 14K for most

of the last 10-15 years, I would expect it to fall back to that if

mediocre mid table finishes or worse, relegation happens. Unless of

course Worthy enticed another 5K to become hard core support.....sure I

saw JJ away at Barnsley buying a pie though......

[quote user="SPat"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="SPat"]err, Jenna Jameson?
[/quote]

was a serious post SPat....... get ya mind out of the gutter [;)]

[/quote]

Sorry. bored at work, my mind wandered ;-)

As we were only getting an average of 13 or 14K for most of the last 10-15 years, I would expect it to fall back to that if mediocre mid table finishes or worse, relegation happens. Unless of course Worthy enticed another 5K to become hard core support.....sure I saw JJ away at Barnsley buying a pie though......
[/quote]

I guess it depends how many of the new regulars become diehards. (Notice how I replaced hardcore with diehards) It could be as high as 16,000. In a decent season this would increase the gate receipts for the club too because of so many more seats being sold at casual prices.

... sure I wouldn''t know JJ if I saw her................ [*-)]

Well this certainly is an interesting debate.  I can understand casual fans buying a season ticket when we were in the premiership to make sure they have a ticket for the games they want to see.  In the current climate the use of having a season ticket just to get into games you want to see is a little redundent because it''s quite easy to get a seat in the Jarrold.  Which is where I find myself when I hop over the pond.  I would personally rather sit in the barclay, but without the season ticket that is not an option.  Anyway I will be moving back to Norwich later this year in good time for the new season and I am currently on the season ticket waiting list.  Therefore I would be only so delighted if people want to release their season ticket as I will gladly take it.  I think this is the reality that there may be fans who are disgrunted by the team and will no longer attend matches but this will not harm the club because someone else will take their seat. 

Crystal Palace have a very similar sized stadium to ours although its in a pretty appaling state, yet they are only getting 16,000 every week.  I think the clubs is very fortunate to have os as fans as for the most part we will turn up in our numbers even though we are 17th.  Anyway for the record I will turn up for every home game next season whatever the situation because to me thats what a true fan does.  Not decide to go shopping with the wife on a saturday afternoon instead.  I think the best way forward is to support the team by turning up in our numbers and singing our hearts out.  If the average Norwich City fan wants to give up their season ticket I will happily take it next season.  This is life things aren''t always rosy, but we have to show our true colors through the good and bad times. 

Lets hope we can get a few wins move up the table away from the relegation zone and get a more postive atmosphere on this board.  Quite frankley its down right depressing to read some of this stuff.

OTBC

Jim Kent