Sign in to follow this  
BBFF

What is the single biggest mistake this board has made?

Simple, not entering our premiership without a half decent forward line. It''s a close shave between not making more of an effort to sign Crouchie or not getting Deano 6months earilier. So it''s really not having the nerve to sign decent players when we had the chance, as the money either of these boys would have generated (if still in the prem) would have more than covered the cost of their orginal transfer. Prudence with ambition total rubbish!!!! signing quality players common sense!!!!

[quote user="cityangel"]

Having Barry Skipper on the board.

[/quote] I went to a fuction a while back at the ground where Skipper did a speech and it was absolutely pathetic - he had it all written down on a crumpled bit of paper and kept forgetting what he was talking about, who he was talking about and there were massive pauses as he had to look at his notes. Grumpy too......bah humbug!!

A lot of the mistakes mentioned are "football" matters such as selling Malky, Edworthy etc which would have been the decision of the football manager. Do we really want a board that interferes with team matters? Look where it has got Hearts!!

Clearly, the biggest mistake was the failure to sack Worthy at the end of last season (at the latest) and not giving a new manager time to assemble his own squad.

What is the single biggest mistake this board has made?

For me it has to be the time we had the kit with the yellow shorts.

Hint!! Green and Yellow Army....

For me it was aiming to be a Charlton. Nice cosy little idea and everything...but lets face it...Charlton aren''t going to win anything.

I''d rather we were a Bolton or a Reading or even a Sheff Utd - in other words not scared to have a bloody good go at it.

The biggest mistake attributable to the Board alone (all the transfer stuff is debatable) is to allow the Academy to drift along aimlessly. It''s not good enough to crow about the wonderful facilities - where''s the product??? If it''s still turning out reasonably skilful, but lightweight, naive and ineffectual, footballers like Hendo, Jarvis, Jarvis, Eagle etc., someone needs to ask WHY. This is our real lifeblood, and we could do with a transfusion right now.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Worthington targeted Ashton in that August but the Board didn''t back him. Just as Saint say''s, they procrastinated and the chance went. Worthy said as much this summer when the Board didn''t try too hard to get Tim Howard here.

Strikers Steve Howard, Rob Hulse and Izale McLeod plus winger Luke Chadwick have all been identified as City targets, but asked whether he expected any new arrivals this week, Worthington was not optimistic.
He said: “It is most important from my point of view that we get people in as early as possible. The problem is that anybody who joins us now will be 2½ weeks behind in training and the very high levels of fitness we are trying to achieve.
“We have to be proactive rather than reactive. We signed Dean Ashton in January instead of pre-season and I think the lesson should have been learned from that.

Although Peter Crouch may have been available for 2m that summer I think it was his contract that was too expensive for us. Ashton could come here and we could offer a huge increase on his terms at Crewe where as Peter Crouch would have been on close to "top dollar" at Villa and out of our reach.

[/quote]

We have a well meaning but incompetant board.  The more information that gets out the more you wonder with what worthless had to deal with.  Thats not taking away from his many failings - the worst one being his lack of intelligence.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

We have a well meaning but incompetant board.  The more information that gets out the more you wonder with what worthless had to deal with.  Thats not taking away from his many failings - the worst one being his lack of intelligence.

[/quote]

Me and you will never agree about Worthington CJF, well only in as much as that in the end our results, some of his recent signings and the terrible away record neccessitated a change.However I fully expect to see him be succesful elsewhere.

Only time will tell.

[quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"][quote user="cityangel"]

Having Barry Skipper on the board.

[/quote] I went to a fuction a while back at the ground where Skipper did a speech and it was absolutely pathetic - he had it all written down on a crumpled bit of paper and kept forgetting what he was talking about, who he was talking about and there were massive pauses as he had to look at his notes. Grumpy too......bah humbug!![/quote]

You should have seen him in action at the Sheringham forum. Shame he got re- elected at the AGM although I hear that quite a few voted against him.

That''s a really good point in my opinion. The academy is praised up a lot but it really doesn''t produce much, most of the youth players on the fringes of the first team squad are miles and miles off being good enough.

Having said that...I think there''s various restrictions on how far young players can travel for training etc  Making it difficult to have a wide catchment area as Norwich is so far out of the way.

Thanks GJP. I absolutely do not subscribe to the "blame the Board for everything/the Board deserves shooting" line, any more than I believe that Worthy was the servant of the Dark Lord, and I''d still rather have Mr and Mrs Delia Smith as majority shareholders than Abramovitch (the sooner Chelsea get shot of him, the better). However, there''s no denying the Board has screwed up, basically by believing that longtime football pro''s (managers and coaches) have any grasp of reality, and trusting their judgement too much. For example, the managing director may not know one end of a football from the other, but he should be able to see that the an expensive resource like the Academy isn''t earning its keep, and have the balls to make sure it does, or close it down.