Sign in to follow this  
BBFF

What is the single biggest mistake this board has made?

In my opinion budgeting for relegation when we got to the prem, this was shown so clearly by not replacing Iwan until the January when Ashton arrived. That one single act cost our place in top flight football and the millions that went with it.

FOOTBALL must come first at Carrow Rd.

[quote user="Brian Burrell"]

In my opinion budgeting for relegation when we got to the prem, this was shown so clearly by not replacing Iwan until the January when Ashton arrived. That one single act cost our place in top flight football and the millions that went with it.

[/quote]

Although I agree that this cost us, how do you arrive at the conclusion that this was the boards fault? The cash was there for transfers but Worthington was the one who spent all summer chasing Gareth Taylor (again) and Linvoy Primus to no effect and who ended up with Simon Charlton, Darren Ward, David Bentley, Thomas Helveg, Matthias Jonson and Youssef Safri instead. It''s not the boards fault that he targetted a rubbish old target man that didn''t want to move to Norwich anyway and had no Plan B when he turned us down.

I think the biggest mistake the board made was in not removing Worthington with a few games of last season to go. Any earlier and they could be accused of not allowing his January decisions time to bear fruit, but by early March we all knew he was a dead man walking and he should have gone then. However, I''d rather have a loyal board than one who chops and changes managers every five minutes. 

Not seeing the signs and removing worthington earlier.

The biggest problem at the club is the lack of hunger in the team and the subsequent lack of team spirit.   I cant see Manu losing the title this season as they looked hungry yesterday while that desire was not evident in Chelsea over this month  

[quote user="Brian Burrell"]

[/quote]

Certainly, I mean, if we''d have budgeted only to stay up and spent beyond our means in an attempt to stay up, and still gone down, then we''d right royally up a creek full of poo with no paddle.  Again, get back in your corner and clean up the dribble, you can use my hankerchief.

OTBC!

Chunky

[quote user="Canary02"][quote user="Brian Burrell"]

[/quote]

Although I agree that this cost us, how do you arrive at the conclusion that this was the boards fault? The cash was there for transfers but Worthington was the one who spent all summer chasing Gareth Taylor (again) and Linvoy Primus to no effect and who ended up with Simon Charlton, Darren Ward, David Bentley, Thomas Helveg, Matthias Jonson and Youssef Safri instead. It''s not the boards fault that he targetted a rubbish old target man that didn''t want to move to Norwich anyway and had no Plan B when he turned us down.

I think the biggest mistake the board made was in not removing Worthington with a few games of last season to go. Any earlier and they could be accused of not allowing his January decisions time to bear fruit, but by early March we all knew he was a dead man walking and he should have gone then. However, I''d rather have a loyal board than one who chops and changes managers every five minutes. 

[/quote]

I think the biggest mistake was not backing Worthington when he wanted to sign Dean Ashton in the August. I thought he and Primus were Worthingtons top targets at that time Canary02.

Agreeing with Worthington to get rid of Malkay at the end of our Championship winning season....

...oh, and holdingh on to Worthington for too long.

it has to be allowing delia to go on the pitch and do her famous speech!! lol

do you mean as a whole board or as individuals? after all many have cocked up at times, munby with his promises, doncaster with his sayings, or skipper with his attacks on the fans, take your pick from those individual ones or as a whole it has to be keeping worthy too long and then appointing an inexperienced manager.

Definitely leaving it a year too late in firing NW. As far as I was concerned the evidence was there in the Prem season that he couldn''t cope with it, and the first three games (which were all at home and an ideal way to send out a marker to the rest) were to symbolise our failings. He should have gone after 15 games last season having ripped the guts out the side for a second time and then having the nerve to complain about not having a settled side.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Canary02"][quote user="Brian Burrell"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think the biggest mistake was not backing Worthington when he wanted to sign Dean Ashton in the August. I thought he and Primus were Worthingtons top targets at that time Canary02.

[/quote]

I know there was a rumour that Worthington wanted Ashton in August but I''ve never seen a statement to that effect by Worthington, Ashton or anyone at Norwich or Crewe, or that a bid was blocked by the board. If there was one I''ve missed it!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Canary02"][quote user="Brian Burrell"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Spot on, NN. Worthington DID want Ashton in that summer, but was not backed. He never did target Gareth Taylor in the summer of 2004. This was the year before, before the start of our promotion season. Thank god we never managed to get him. But yeah, it was Ashton and Primus targetted in the summer before our Prem season started.

Sacking Worthy too late

Letting Malky go

Letting Delia rant on the pitch last year.

Having Barry Skipper on the board.

Easily the biggest mistake they have made has been procrastination and they have done time and time again.  The mistake over again and not learning from it.  The wait and see, maybe tomorrow attitude has been the most detrimental thing this board has done.

They waited until they knew exactly how many games they would get on Sky before releasing £3m to buy the striker we desperately needed in the Premiership.  It was too late.

They waited again this summer to see if Green went before really go after any targets but it was too late 

They waited and hoped while it was obvious that the Worthington was not going to turn things around.  As we are seeing now it was too late.

The only time they didn''t mess about was in signing Huckerby but even that no brainer took a lot of persuading by Worthington.

You would think they would learn from their mistakes and just as importantly their success when they didn''t wait.  All this waiting and see has lead to panic buys, good players being bought too late and worst of all failing to sign enough players. 

[quote user="Canary02"][quote user="Brian Burrell"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ummm, i think you`ll find that Crouch was available in the first few weeks of the Prem season for about £2million (Taylor was the previous season). He`d stated that he`d wanted to move to Norwich and Worthington had stated that he wanted him. The board would not pay out for him-and they`ve been showing their uncanny ability to look a gift horse in the mouth ever since.

I think that all the trouble began during the first half of the premiership season. So budgetting to go down and the way that it was implemented was the bad decision. The board/manager chose not to spend during the summer when we needed to.

Whilst I agree in principal with the idea of budgetting to go down I believe that the board should have implemented this approach by pushing the boat out to spend as much of the extra Premiership money as possible. However, they should have spent it on players likely to increase in value and given them contracts that reflected the possibility of relegation. Therefore, if we spent all of the money and were still relegated we could have sold the valuable players to recoup the money spent and not risked the solvency of the club. In this way I believe we could have maximised the strength of the squad for the entire season without risking the clubs future.

Does anyone agree or is there some key point I''ve missed that prevents this from being a prudent approach?

Allowing that tea / coffee / soup / styrofoam elastigruel to be sold to people desperate for a hot drink in winter.

Oh, and all the football stuff.  It''s all gone wrong.  Woe is me.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Canary02"][quote user="Brian Burrell"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ummm, i think you`ll find that Crouch was available in the first few weeks of the Prem season for about £2million (Taylor was the previous season). He`d stated that he`d wanted to move to Norwich and Worthington had stated that he wanted him. The board would not pay out for him-and they`ve been showing their uncanny ability to look a gift horse in the mouth ever since.

[/quote]

I''m not doubting you exactly saying but I think there is a lot of revisionist history occurring between what was rumour at the time and what is documented fact. Crouch may well have been available at the time, but did Worthington definitely ask the board to bid for him and they turned him down? Again, I don''t remember seeing anything to that effect other than a vague rumour here and there which are no more substantial than the rumours that come around now about Malky coming back or whatever. They could be true, but in the light of day, may well not be, and may be the product of an imagination rather than fact.

Certainly, he went to Southampton for £2m from Villa, and I remember Worthington saying that he would have liked to have signed him but he was too expensive. But was that Worthington''s decision based against prices at the time, i.e. he felt he could do better at that price, or the boards for starving him of funds? I''m not saying it was either way, but without full knowledge it seems pure conjecture either way. 

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

Easily the biggest mistake they have made has been procrastination and they have done time and time again.  The mistake over again and not learning from it.  The wait and see, maybe tomorrow attitude has been the most detrimental thing this board has done.

They waited until they knew exactly how many games they would get on Sky before releasing £3m to buy the striker we desperately needed in the Premiership.  It was too late.

They waited again this summer to see if Green went before really go after any targets but it was too late 

They waited and hoped while it was obvious that the Worthington was not going to turn things around.  As we are seeing now it was too late.

The only time they didn''t mess about was in signing Huckerby but even that no brainer took a lot of persuading by Worthington.

You would think they would learn from their mistakes and just as importantly their success when they didn''t wait.  All this waiting and see has lead to panic buys, good players being bought too late and worst of all failing to sign enough players. 

[/quote]

Agree totally with this post. It just needed a little bit of nerve, ambition - call it what you like - to have made a decent attempt to stay in the Premiership. Clearly a player like Ashton was needed at the beginning of that season, not when we became trapped at the bottom of the table.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but a little speculation at the right time is what was needed, as it is right now with Earnshaw probably out of the equation for the remainder of this term.

I''m praying that the Board will go for a bit of a gamble in what''s left of the January window to try to make absolutely sure that we aren''t involved in a real relegation battle come March and April.

Of course looking back to the previous regime, under Mr Chase, was, in our 1994/5 relegation season, guily of not so much procrastination as complacency. At the time of Andy Marshall''s injury we were, I believe, in 7th spot in the Premiership. To be fair to Chase, he, and to be honest most supporters, could be forgiven for assuming that safety had already been as good as achieved at that point.

The present Board have no such excuse...........

Worthington targeted Ashton in that August but the Board didn''t back him. Just as Saint say''s, they procrastinated and the chance went. Worthy said as much this summer when the Board didn''t try too hard to get Tim Howard here.

Strikers Steve Howard, Rob Hulse and Izale McLeod plus winger Luke Chadwick have all been identified as City targets, but asked whether he expected any new arrivals this week, Worthington was not optimistic.
He said: “It is most important from my point of view that we get people in as early as possible. The problem is that anybody who joins us now will be 2½ weeks behind in training and the very high levels of fitness we are trying to achieve.
“We have to be proactive rather than reactive. We signed Dean Ashton in January instead of pre-season and I think the lesson should have been learned from that.

Although Peter Crouch may have been available for 2m that summer I think it was his contract that was too expensive for us. Ashton could come here and we could offer a huge increase on his terms at Crewe where as Peter Crouch would have been on close to "top dollar" at Villa and out of our reach.