Sign in to follow this  
JC

Cup Run more of a danger than a blessing???

Got to ask this as it is concerning me, and I keep hearing people saying we deserve a cup run.  When we are five points of relegation,with a wafer thin squad, do we need the distraction and extra games?  Cup runs are notorious for taking a teams eye off the league.  Would we be happy to win the FA cup but go down to league one?

[quote user="JC"] Would we be happy to win the FA cup but go down to league one?[/quote]Honest answer?Yes I would.Ain''t going to happen though.

The players need confidence.  Knocking over a lower league team like Blackpool might give a bit of that to them.  If we get past Blackpool, it''s 50:50 or as good as that we''ll get a championship or Premiership team.  If a last 16 match is at home then it might give the fans and team a chance to start enjoying being at Carrow Road again, even if we don''t go through.

Cup matches are ideal preparation for a relegation struggle too, I''d say.  You have to fight for the win.

So one great game followed by potentially years of struggling is worth it?  My god.

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="JC"] Would we be happy to win the FA cup but go down to league one?[/quote]

Honest answer?
Yes I would.
Ain''t going to happen though.
[/quote]

That''s a hard question JC but I think I''m with Herb! I have all but given up on seeing us lift the famous FA Cup. This year it would be amazing, first winners at the new Wembley too! I''d love us to play another unfashionable team too, someone like Blackburn! Imagine the media being deprived of any of Arsenal, Chelski and Man.U. on their big day out!

Would love it!!!!!

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="JC"] Would we be happy to win the FA cup but go down to league one?[/quote]

Honest answer?
Yes I would.
[/quote]

totally agree Herb - its all about winning things and that would be amazing.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

You might''ve let me dream for a little more than 18 mins CJF!!! [;)]

I would hardly call beating Tamworth, and possibly beating Blackpool, as a "Cup Run"

Even if we win on Saturday, we''re unlikely to get much further let alone win it.

Still, it would be far better to win on Saturday than lose - a defeat against lower league opponents would''nt exactly do much for team morale and confidence which is alreadt pityfully low, if not non existent.

Far better to scrape a win at Blackpool, get a top Premiership club at home in the next round, get live TV coverage, draw the game and then get thoroughly stuffed in the replay.

At least then we can console ourselves that we''ve gained a nice few quid which can then be squandered on another clutch of inferior players.

I do hope we have a decent cup-run........It''ll hopefully soften the blow of relegation.

It''s definitely ''The season of living dangerously!''

But, it''s only a game - no matter how much your season ticket costs. 

[quote]it''s only a game - no matter how much your season ticket costs. [/quote]

Mello old boy, there''s an easy answer to this, get a cheaper season ticket !

With our flaccid on-pitch performances there are bound to be a few options in the cheap seats next season ?

Heaven knows, maybe you and a few of your Cathedral Box chums could get a song going in the Barclay End or even the Norwich and Peterborough stand, should any of your grand-children fancy a regular hypnotic trance of a saturday afternoon, something about Blys'' Babes perhaps ?

I think it''s essential that we have a decent cup run. How we play in the league often doesn''t reflect in our cup play, we have afterall been pants recently in both cups for years in a period where we got into the play offs and were promoted. So I think, with less pressure to win than in the league games we might relax and play better. The net effect would be that the everone associated with the club would have a bit more positivity and it might help our league form.

PS Just remembered, when we played Sunderland at Wemb-er-ly we were relegated..........so what do I know!

If my memory is correct, the cup run of 1958-59 when as a Third Division South team we reached the semi final, started a run resulting in us just missing promotion to the old second division with Terry Bly scoring 29 goals. Trouble is that in 1991-1992 when we reached the semi final again, we narrowly missed relegation from the old first division so I’m not sure if a good cup run is a good or bad thing league wise although it must be financially rewarding.

[quote user="JC"]

So one great game followed by potentially years of struggling is worth it?  My god.

Honest answer?
Yes I would.
[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s the FA Cup for christs sake of course it would be worth it!

When you were a kid kicking a ball about in the back garden you weren''t dreaming of scoring the goal that kept Norwich in the 2nd Division were you?

I''d take ten years in the wilderness if it meant watching Adam Drury lift the FA Cup in the first cup final at the new Wembley.

Oh God I''ve actually started picturing what it would look like. Try it, it''s fun! "Oh look the lid from the trophy has just been balanced on Hucks head!"

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]it''s only a game - no matter how much your season ticket costs. [/quote]

Mello old boy, there''s an easy answer to this, get a cheaper season ticket !

With our flaccid on-pitch performances there are bound to be a few options in the cheap seats next season ?

Heaven knows, maybe you and a few of your Cathedral Box chums could get a song going in the Barclay End or even the Norwich and Peterborough stand, should any of your grand-children fancy a regular hypnotic trance of a saturday afternoon, something about Blys'' Babes perhaps ?

[/quote]

I''m actually considering applying for a position as a chambermaid at the Kerrison/Hollerday Inn Hoot-hell.

Then on matchdays, I can stand at one of its windows for 90+ minutes, pretending to remove smears and flicking V''s.......sorry, dust, from the window sills - and being paid whilst watching 1st divvy footy......Times is not only hard at NCFC y''know. Now, I just need to find a female uniform that''ll fit my ample frame, wear some false boobs, shave my arms, legs, chest and designer stubble, slap a bit o'' lippy an'' rouge on my chubby chops - and await the reply from my reworked CV.........Ballcox! I''ve just laddered another pair of tights, I''m gettin'' bunions from the ruddy size 11 high heels and boy, they pinch like hell - and, as for this Dolly Parton ''big hair'' wig, it''s so, so, itchy. You''ve gotta suffer for your pleasures though.........First one to wolf-whistle, gets a slap!

Now, do I use the Ladies or the Gents?.........."I''m a Laydeeeeeeeeeee!"....."Jeez! This flamin'' gusset''s tight!"     However do women do it?

I wonder if the chapel that Delia mooted might have windows overlooking the pitch, once it''s built ?  Once the chambermaiding gets tiresome with all that scaffolding and war-paint, you might be able to take the soft option and get in by wearing the old dog-collar ?  The tricky part of this would be to get a proper black priests shirt.  Anyone who has watched Father Ted would know that real black priests shirts are very hard to come by, most shirts that claim to be black are actually a very, very, very dark blue.

Mind you, there''s always the old alcohol rule - You''d probably have to put eyemasks over the communion wine so that it couldn''t see the pitch.  Or maybe you could use your hipflask ?