Sign in to follow this  
Stevie Wonder

Who is the worst value signing Norwich have ever made?

I know wages are involved etc but icant see how Peter thorne and steve walsh can be considered poor value when there actuasl transfer fee was £0, although i do realise howe bad they were!

In recent years -

Raymond de waard @ £225,000

Alex Notman    @ £250,000

David Nielson   @   £200,000 (never played well once we signed him)

Dixon Etuhu @   £450,000

However, there is one player who is the biggest waste of money ever. I cant believe he hasnt been mentioned -

NEIL EMBLEM

£500,000

Biggest waste of money - EVER

What about Jarrett.  Bought on a free but in reality after his signing on fee and wages (he took over Helveg''s £14k per week) cost us over £1.5 million!Mind you, almost every one of Worthingtons signings could be listed in here.  Ok they were not as bad as Hamilton''s signings, but they cost hell of a lot more!  Emblem...Hughes...Robinson...Etuhu....Docherty....Thorne.................do I need to continue?  Compare his signings with Stringer and Brown''s bargains.  Bruce, Phelan, Drinkel, Townsend, Gunn, Williams, Phillips, Fleck.  All good returns

Would agree entirely, but hasten to add taht he couldn''t play football either.

Close second Jimmy Blair. Can''t remember who signed him (maybe Ron Saunders) but whoever it was went to Scotland to look at Gordon McQueen and came back with Jimmy Blair.

If we''re talking about worst VALUE then i would have to agree with Beckford. Almost a million for nothing. BEST value has to be Hucks. Singlehandly took us into the Prem!

[quote user="Dicky"]Tony Cottee and Steve Walsh have to lead the table, surely. [/quote]

yeah but they were freebies...  so don''t really count as worst value.  half a million plus on Hughes is far worse value!!  We have paid through the nose for his rubbish petrformances.

[quote user="fluffty"]

What about Jarrett.  Bought on a free but in reality after his signing on fee and wages (he took over Helveg''s £14k per week) cost us over £1.5 million!

[/quote]

unbeleivable!!  This was a guy Worthy didnt think was good enough when he managed Blackpool!!  Total mismanagement by the grey haired idiot.

Agree with the Muzinic suggeston - £300k when signings didnt often exceed £700k was a lot of money for another tired old pro.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[quote user="Dicky"]Tony Cottee and Steve Walsh have to lead the table, surely. [/quote]

yeah but they were freebies...  so don''t really count as worst value.  half a million plus on Hughes is far worse value!!  We have paid through the nose for his rubbish petrformances.

[/quote]

No such thing as a freebie - agents'' fees, wages etc will amount to a lot.  They were in my opinion big time charlies who did absolutely nothing positive for the club in any way, shape or form.  Cannot be compared to Hughes, just because you have something personal against him.

Jack - I was at Old Trafford that day. I won £6 on a fruit machine and used the money to by a train ticket and admission.

Oh how we laughed when The Stretford End emptied with us 2-1 up........

........Oh how we didn''t laugh when we tried to leave only to find that they had arrived at the back of our stand and were blocking our exit!

[quote user="Dicky"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

yeah but they were freebies...  so don''t really count as worst

value.  half a million plus on Hughes is far worse value!! 

We have paid through the nose for his rubbish petrformances.

[/quote]

No such thing as a freebie - agents'' fees, wages etc will amount to

a lot.  They were in my opinion big time charlies who did

absolutely nothing positive for the club in any way, shape or

form.  Cannot be compared to Hughes, just because you have

something personal against him.

[/quote]

Agreed. On another board someone was claiming Walsh cost us £756 for

every minute he played (badly) for us. If there was  ever a

money-grabbing useless pair of freeloaders it was those two. At least

hughes tries for god sake, get off his back Foghorn

For the past 10 years, i can think of a few:

• The foreingers that all came at once, Raymond De Waard, Fernando Derveld. not 100% sure if we paid for them or not! Giallanza was alright when fit-nice to see him at darlington after some hurrific injuries.
  • Matthias Jonson was the biggest donkey ive ever seen! goes to show dont sign anyone on their international ability!
  • Thomas Helveg? we pay for him?
  • Martin Hunter........have we seen an improvement?

[quote user="Foggo_on_the wing"]

Would agree entirely, but hasten to add taht he couldn''t play football either.

Close second Jimmy Blair. Can''t remember who signed him (maybe Ron Saunders) but whoever it was went to Scotland to look at Gordon McQueen and came back with Jimmy Blair.

[/quote]

Oops - forgot too quote. I was agreeing with the Drazen Muzinic proposal.

[quote user="Dicky"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

No such thing as a freebie - agents'' fees, wages etc will amount to a lot.  They were in my opinion big time charlies who did absolutely nothing positive for the club in any way, shape or form.  Cannot be compared to Hughes, just because you have something personal against him.

[/quote]

very true!!  especially if that Jarrett stuff is true!!  Did you know we have only won one league match Hughes started this season!!

[quote user="Stevie Wonder"]

Whilst we have made some less than inspiring signings over the last couple of years they haven''t actually cost much money!

2 from my time as a supporter seem to jump out;

Darren Beckford who cost £900K and could never handle the pressure of being our record signing. Scored a hat trick against Everton but did little else in 2 years here!

Mike Sheron (£800K) the man brought to replace Chris Sutton. Oh dear! He had the world''s longest running hamstring problem until this record was taken by MLJ!!!

In terms of the best value, I would guess this would have to be Martin Peters although he was before my time. During my years we have made some quite wonderful cheap signings, most of them from Spurs! Culverhouse for £50K, Crook for £80K and Bowen £90K and well over 1200 games between them.

[/quote]

Anyone remember Charlie Crickmore ? the only player i have ever seen who use to trip over the chalk on the lines,  which would result in him being carried off . but then there''s  Charlie Billington , now thats another story, Neil Emblen is one of the worst , only because Nigel had his leg lifted, and got himself tucked up .

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Dicky"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

very true!!  especially if that Jarrett stuff is true!!  Did you know we have only won one league match Hughes started this season!!

[/quote]

CJF - you really are one for vendettas aren''t you.  Don''t know what Hughes has done to you to deserve being singled out for this criticism, because he certainly hasn''t been our worst player this season and he tries bloody hard for our club, unlike some who escape your criticism.  Are you like this outside of football? 

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]

However, there is one player who is the biggest waste of money ever. I cant believe he hasnt been mentioned -

NEIL EMBLEM

£500,000

Biggest waste of money - EVER

[/quote]I think you missed my post, on the first page