Sign in to follow this  
Stevie Wonder

Who is the worst value signing Norwich have ever made?

Whilst we have made some less than inspiring signings over the last couple of years they haven''t actually cost much money!

2 from my time as a supporter seem to jump out;

Darren Beckford who cost £900K and could never handle the pressure of being our record signing. Scored a hat trick against Everton but did little else in 2 years here!

Mike Sheron (£800K) the man brought to replace Chris Sutton. Oh dear! He had the world''s longest running hamstring problem until this record was taken by MLJ!!!

In terms of the best value, I would guess this would have to be Martin Peters although he was before my time. During my years we have made some quite wonderful cheap signings, most of them from Spurs! Culverhouse for £50K, Crook for £80K and Bowen £90K and well over 1200 games between them.

A few spring to mind, Matias Johnson, Andy Hughes, Mike Sheron but the worst have to be ........most of Hamiltons signings!

[quote user="Salahuddin"]A few spring to mind, Matias Johnson, Andy Hughes, Mike Sheron but the worst have to be ........most of Hamiltons signings![/quote]

I thought Mattias johnson was OK, I think he would have looked in the Champinoship. Mike Sheron should have done better, good touch but unlucky in front of goal. I think there are worse players.

I love this thread Stevie!, but can I choose 3 please?.

1. Laurie Sheffield. I saw him miss, standing with the ball on the goal line!.

2. Mike Sheron. No other comment is required.

3. Peter ''sick note'' Thorne. The ultimate 2 goals a decade stiker!.

That was fun

Hughes, Robinson and Johnson while not being brilliant players (apart from Johnson, I thought he had good potential) have at least played for us, scored goals for us and all of them have at least once put in a good performance.Prehaps you may recall Neil Emblen £500,000 signing, immediatly injured, made 15 apperances (9 as a sub) and was absolutely rubbish.

I would have liked to have seen Johnson in the Championship - a fully committed and pacy player never one to shirk a challenge.  We bought him for  something like £700k, which wasn''t bad, then sold him for the exact same amount, despite him not actually scoring a goal for us! Can''t say that''s not good value...Anyway, why the negativity? What about the best value signing?Damien Francis from Wimbledon for £200k (I think) and sold him for £2mil.  Say what you like about his attitude, but some of his performances were exceptional, and how we could do with him right now...

Matthew Rush, 350k. Had the "privilege" of being at his debut game vs Sunderland at Carrow Road, which was probably also the only game he was not injured for.

Mike Sheron, Sutton''s replacement, even given his number 22 shirt, but didn''t he score just 2 league goals for us? I remember him nearly scoring a hattrick vs Torquay in the Coca-Cola cup, but that just about showed his level....having said that, he scored bucket loads at every other club, so maybe that''s a touch harsh!

Steve Walsh - wasnt he paid by the MINUTE in every game he played? Which thankfully wasn''t that many...

does anyone remember Johnny Miller who Ipswich unloaded on us in the early 70''s. Played right wing, had 2 left feet, no pace and fell over so often his laces must have been tied together. More recently I''d go along with Beckford, who was a nice bloke but just had no idea of life outside of Manchester and was plonked into Norfolk and left to get on with it. Mike Sheron, well previous posters have said it all about his hamstrings. But don''t forget Dean Coney - £350k from QPR and they''re still laughing there about it. The only goal he scored for us came off his backside, as legend has it. I never saw much of de Waard or the other guy Hamilton signed - can''t remember his name - so if they were worse than that I don''t know. But the current team have to be collectively the worst value (especially for those who pay to watch them!)

Worst Value...  Andy Hughes £550,000 and £7500 a week for a player whom has played so many poor games for us its untrue.  Considering we found out Mckenzie''s poor salary in comparison to this its no wonder he left for a payday seeing these crappers on high wages here.

Steve Walsh.

Alex Notman, never fulfilled his Man Utd youth team promise, sadly due to injury

Paul Blades, one time club record signing defender.

[quote user="DICKSON"]Peter throne and andy hughes surely, were paying them both to do nothing[/quote]

I wonder if some posters here are over 12! there are many worse players than any we have now.

[quote user="Marty"]

[quote user="DICKSON"]Peter throne and andy hughes surely, were paying them both to do nothing[/quote]

I wonder if some posters here are over 12! there are many worse players than any we have now.

[/quote]

Surprised nobody said Chris Brown yet!!!

Fernando Derveld, truly awful.  Raymond De Waard, now playing pub football in holland.  Shocking

My worst ever.............

One of the best, Steen Nedergaard.  Oh how we miss him....

And finally.....

Best ever loan signing - David Neilson, 7 goals in 7 games

Possible worst permanent signing - David Neilson (Can''t be bothered to look up the stats, but awful)

Tony Cottee and Steve Walsh have to lead the table, surely.  What about John O''Neil - lasted about 10 mins before John Fashanu finished him off... (in jest).

Raymond De Waard is one of the worst i can remember.It does seem that some people in this thread are confusing ''poor'' with ''unlucky''Someone said Alex Notman - woudl you like to justify that?? The Cross at the millenium alone should devoid him of being on a worst player list.I wonder who will suggest Gaetano Giallanza or however the bloke spelt his name... he could have been good for us        Andy Hughes isn''t as bad as some people here make out. yes he''s poor - but he''s not Dear Raymond

Deserving an honourable mention is Keith Briggs

Ok, ''only'' cost £65,000 but he lasted a stunning 45 minutes of first team football before being subbed, never to be seen again! [:)]

Worst - totally agree with the Drazen Muzenic post as the worst.  Wiz, I have to disagree with Laurie Sheffield - the man scored a hat-trick on his debut, and was our top scorer in 1966. Oh, how I yearn for those heady days in the 60''s when we all settled happily for being a below average 2nd Div Team, with the occasional Cup upset - who recalls that fantastic trip to Old Trafford in 67 when Keelan inspired us to that superb 2-1 win, against Best, Charlton, Law etc. Seems like yesterday! Best value player over the years must be Martin Peters, with 5 great years for £40K. 

[quote user="Daveinnorfolk"]Raymond De Waard is one of the worst i can remember.

It does seem that some people in this thread are confusing ''poor'' with ''unlucky''

Someone said Alex Notman - woudl you like to justify that?? The Cross at the millenium alone should devoid him of being on a worst player list.

I wonder who will suggest Gaetano Giallanza or however the bloke spelt his name... he could have been good for us       

Andy Hughes isn''t as bad as some people here make out. yes he''s poor - but he''s not Dear Raymond

[/quote]

Giallanza and Iwan looked like they had just about clicked upfront together.. how different it could of been under Bryan Hamilton if Gigi had stayed fit..

Went to spain after he left us and scored against Real Madrid incidentally.. now plying his trade at Darlington... Guess the injury affected him.... shame.. he could of been special.. same with Notman...

jas :)