Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

You can see it coming, can't you?

"I am just hoping they are all fit and make it through this period," said Grant. "We still have the opportunity to take on loan players into March so it is not as if everything has to be done by the end of January.

Thus spoke Grant in todays Pink Un.

I told you in December we were virtually broke, and that no ''quality'' signings would be made in  this transfer window (Chadders was sorted way before then!) Some of you wise ones agreed with me, but most of you laughed.

Well, have a good re-read of the Grunts words of today.

Still laughing are you?.

We may still see some more coming in. I don''t think we will but I live in hope. Busyest day of the transfer window is always the last day.

I''m definately concerned! Will try my best to be patient and wait until midnight of the 31st before spitting my dummy out, but will be bitterly disappointed if nothing happens. As mentioned on another post, I''m confident they are doing their best to get people in behind the scenes and sometimes there is nothing they can do (player or family doesn''t want move like Spring) but people in football are judged on results and currently the results on the field and possible transfers off it are not coming close to expectations. I hope we are not disappointed. Fingers crossed, as always.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

"I am just hoping they are all fit and make it through this period," said Grant. "We still have the opportunity to take on loan players into March so it is not as if everything has to be done by the end of January.

Thus spoke Grant in todays Pink Un.

I told you in December we were virtually broke, and that no ''quality'' signings would be made in  this transfer window (Chadders was sorted way before then!) Some of you wise ones agreed with me, but most of you laughed.

Well, have a good re-read of the Grunts words of today.

Still laughing are you?.

[/quote]

• I am still hoping for a quality midfielder and I think Grant is too.
  • Why are Marshall and Brown NOT quality?
  • "Some of you wise ones" seem to have gone AWOL! [*-)]
  • Why do you continually change peoples names to joke ones like we used to do with the teachers at primary school???? [:P]

Someone certainly saw you coming, Wiz, that''s for sure... [:P]I''m getting a little nervous, I must admit, as its starting to have echoes of the Worthy regime, but if you consider that Grant has already made two permanant signings this transfer window then he''s already matched what Worthy mananged in his part of the season!A quality midfielder could solve many of our problems as our defence is getting battered due to the massive hole in the middle of the park where Robinson/Hughes/Etuhu regularly sit picking their noses.  A decent partner for Safri and suddenly we could be in business. Maybe not play-offs, but at least to climb the table and salvage some pride from the season...

I would go as far to say that if we don''t have any decent signings before the end of this month, we will be relegated. The are too many players at the club who couldn''t care less, so prepare for League One. The board have.

The trouble is Wiz you say so many things, many contradicting each other, that you have to be right some of the time. If I remember you also said in December that Earnie had already been sold and would never play for the club again.

Remember the old Scarlet Pimpernal books.. the rhyme "they seek him here, they seek him there?"

Wiz seeks it here, he seeks it there,

He seeks attention... everywhere! ;)

jas :)

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]

If I remember you also said in December that Earnie had already been sold and would never play for the club again.

[/quote]

That could still come true HC.

Anyone bothering to read Grant''s words elsewhere will also see that he has said that he wanted to do business early in January but that often didn''t happen because clubs wait until the last moment to leverage maximum prices for players and they also want to see what is happening overall. There is always a flurry of activity in the last couple of days.

After Saturday we will probably be concentrating on the league and then PG can spend 48 hours on the telephone. The time to panic, if there is one, is 1st February not now.

Another thing. When people complain that the deadwood isn''t leaving PG would be highly negligent if he left his meagre squad even thinner until bringing in new faces allowing others to go. So deals may have been sorted for our unwanted players contingent on us getting a replacement. PG won''t negotiate on the pink''un website so lets be mature adults and wait until 00.001 on 1st Feb. Hope there''s a mod working late that night!!

[quote user="komakino"]I would go as far to say that if we don''t have any decent signings before the end of this month, we will be relegated. The are too many players at the club who couldn''t care less, so prepare for League One. The board have.[/quote]

Could''nt agree more. The club seems to lack the ambition of Championship league survival. How can a novice manager (with the squad he has got) do anything but hopefully suceed in the relegation battle.

1st Wiz, I find the fact that you call our manager "Grunt" rather pathetic, like most of your arguments really! You may perhaps have a valid point on this occasion, time will tell, but I think you''ll find most people are sick and tired of your ranting!

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Someone certainly saw you coming, Wiz, that''s for sure... [:P]

I''m getting a little nervous, I must admit, as its starting to have echoes of the Worthy regime, but if you consider that Grant has already made two permanant signings this transfer window then he''s already matched what Worthy mananged in his part of the season!

A quality midfielder could solve many of our problems as our defence is getting battered due to the massive hole in the middle of the park where Robinson/Hughes/Etuhu regularly sit picking their noses.  A decent partner for Safri and suddenly we could be in business. Maybe not play-offs, but at least to climb the table and salvage some pride from the season...
[/quote]

I don''t think we''re doing too badly for midfielders. I just think we''re weak in defence. The Doc isn''t playing with any confidence (personally I think he''s lost a lot of confidence since PG has been here) and Shackell and Colin are both weak defenders. I think having a couple of rock hard defenders in the team would make everything else look a lot better.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

Anyone bothering to read Grant''s words elsewhere will also see that he has said that he wanted to do business early in January but that often didn''t happen because clubs wait until the last moment to leverage maximum prices for players and they also want to see what is happening overall. There is always a flurry of activity in the last couple of days.

After Saturday we will probably be concentrating on the league and then PG can spend 48 hours on the telephone. The time to panic, if there is one, is 1st February not now.

Another thing. When people complain that the deadwood isn''t leaving PG would be highly negligent if he left his meagre squad even thinner until bringing in new faces allowing others to go. So deals may have been sorted for our unwanted players contingent on us getting a replacement. PG won''t negotiate on the pink''un website so lets be mature adults and wait until 00.001 on 1st Feb. Hope there''s a mod working late that night!!

[/quote]Bang on, top post. Grant''s damned if he does and damned if he doesn''t - if we get two or three new faces in who prove to be just as ineffectual as some of the shower we''ve got here already, certain factions will just jump on his back for ''panic buying''. Fail to bring in players, and he''s ''lacking ambition''. I know we desperately need something to help us ensure we survive this season, but if we do survive, the summer is a much longer and more stress-free transfer opportunity. We''ve got lots of contracts expiring, which will slash the wage bill, and I''m sure it won''t have escaped Grant''s attention that every other club will have players out of contract too. I''m confident that if we survive this season, we''ll be able to strengthen in the summer, and bring in some hungry young players to replace the ones who clearly want out. Plus factor in the loan spells that some youngsters are getting (plus the opportunity for Spillane/Martin to feature in the first team squad now that Fleming and Earnshaw are out of the equation), and we could end up with a much better balance next year.

[quote user="BufordTJustice"]1st Wiz, I find the fact that you call our manager "Grunt" rather pathetic, like most of your arguments really! You may perhaps have a valid point on this occasion, time will tell, but I think you''ll find most people are sick and tired of your ranting!
[/quote]

So ignore my posts and don''t reply to them!.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

• Why do you continually change peoples names to joke ones like we used to do with the teachers at primary school???? [:P]

[/quote]

I must admit I do find the childish namecalling quite funny!  [:D]

[/quote]

Not that I would stoop so low...[;)]...but when in Rome and all that.......

[quote user="BufordTJustice"]1st Wiz, I find the fact that you call our manager "Grunt" rather pathetic, like most of your arguments really! You may perhaps have a valid point on this occasion, time will tell, but I think you''ll find most people are sick and tired of your ranting! [/quote]

So ignore my posts and don''t reply to them!.

[/quote]Difficult when at last count there are 3669 of them! How about a bit of quality over quantity!

[quote user="BufordTJustice"]
Difficult when at last count there are 3669 of them! How about a bit of quality over quantity!
[/quote]

Bit quiet on the Nest is it?.

Read my post again, Grunt was spelt wrong!, I first spoke of Grant, still why let a ''U'' instead of an ''A'' get in the way of a good old bit of wizard bashing!. 

You set them up.......................I''ll knock em'' down!

[quote user="BufordTJustice"]1st Wiz, I find the fact that you call our manager "Grunt" rather pathetic, like most of your arguments really!
[/quote]

Really?, in my defence, I usually refer to Peter Grant as ''La Gob''!.

[quote user="BufordTJustice"]1st Wiz, I find the fact that you call our manager "Grunt" rather pathetic, like most of your arguments really! You may perhaps have a valid point on this occasion, time will tell, but I think you''ll find most people are sick and tired of your ranting!
[/quote]

I''ve just re-checked the said post in question, an it does appear that ''the'' was used in conjuction with ''Grunt''. Hmm?..........what works best then, ''The Grunt'' or ''La Gob''?.

Yep, ''La Gob'' sums GRANT up best in my twisted little book!.[;)]

Although I thank you for the idea Buford.

Yep, ''La Gob'' sums GRANT up best in my twisted little book!.[;)]

[/quote]

I thought our manager was Scottish, not French. You sure your not a lost Arsenal supporter....?