Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Centre-back possibile signings?

Who, in this league, or perhaps below, is at a potential, yet experiened age for us to consider purchasing?

Finance and abition and current league position all come into account, who would want to come to us?

I cannot personally think...

Anyway...what d''you all think?

I keep saying it but Chris Lucketti at Sheff Utd is available and would probably only cost £200K. He isn''t the youngest at 32/33 but he captained Preston for ages and could be just what we need. An alternative would be Russell Anderson of Aberdeen who were linked with before Xmas.

Other than that I am struggling too.

Grant doesnt ever seem to mention that he is concerned that we need a new centreback.

And to be fair, with our statistics for "goals against" over the past 3 seasons since our promotion as champions do we really need to waste valuable transfer funds on a luxury????? [:D] 

I''ve always thought we should go after Tiny Taylor at Birmingham...although I can''t see him signing for Norwich these days.

[quote user="sonnycityfan aka Ginger Pele"]grant obviously thinks we dont need a center back or fleming would have stayed
[/quote]

Maybe he just thinks we need a good centre-back? :)

I always rated Leigh Bromby when we had him on loan from Sheffield Wednesday, he played centre half for us then but since being at Sheffield United seems to have been used mainly as a full back.

He recently has been getting only late substitute appearances and as United may be signing new defenders he could want a move.

Additionally he has a very good "long throw" a useful piece of weaponry in any team.

how about mike williamson from wycombe, he is 6''3'''' and is only 24 years old, could be worth a shout

may be playing against chelsea tonight in the cup on SS

or if not George pilkington from port vale, 6''0'''', 26 years old 

I''ve been screaming about this for weeks, with posts headed things like "PLEASE GOD CAN WE HAVE A CENTRAL DEFENDER" and i will keep banging the drum until it happens! I absolutely do not understand why Grant has such a blind spot over this. Everyone, whether they''re Arsene Wenger, Alex Ferguson or Vicky Pollard, knows that ANY successful team needs an experienced, commanding pair of centre backs at its heart. I''m not going to bore people with examples - just think of a successful team, then think about who they have as their centre backs.Now think about who we have. A 25 year old and a 22 year old (give or take year - guessing there), both of whom are neither commanding nor experienced (enough). The very least we need is someone who is, to play alongside one of them. The sort of person we''d be looking for will have to be 30ish - don''t worry about that as sub 30 central defenders with any decent experience are nearly all well established in the premiership - Dawson, Terry, Vidic, Davenport etc.But the thing that has me even more perplexed about this is the loaning of Fleming. Wolves wanted him because they didn''t have enough senior squad members to play centre back. One injury and we''re in the same position!! Which means that either PG has irons in the fire that he''s going to pull out any minute (please god!), or, he knows less about football than Vicky Pollard!!

Shackell plays well when he has experience next to him. him and Dublin do well together. The doc has to go imo, but i dont think it will happen

[quote user="Master J-Do Pur"]Is it me or can Colin also play at centre back? if this is the case we could play Cave-Brown at right back when he returns.[/quote]

But colins doing excellent at right-back at the moment...

[quote user="a1canary"]I''ve been screaming about this for weeks, with posts headed things like "PLEASE GOD CAN WE HAVE A CENTRAL DEFENDER" and i will keep banging the drum until it happens!

I absolutely do not understand why Grant has such a blind spot over this. Everyone, whether they''re Arsene Wenger, Alex Ferguson or Vicky Pollard, knows that ANY successful team needs an experienced, commanding pair of centre backs at its heart. I''m not going to bore people with examples - just think of a successful team, then think about who they have as their centre backs.

Now think about who we have. A 25 year old and a 22 year old (give or take year - guessing there), both of whom are neither commanding nor experienced (enough). The very least we need is someone who is, to play alongside one of them.

The sort of person we''d be looking for will have to be 30ish - don''t worry about that as sub 30 central defenders with any decent experience are nearly all well established in the premiership - Dawson, Terry, Vidic, Davenport etc.

But the thing that has me even more perplexed about this is the loaning of Fleming. Wolves wanted him because they didn''t have enough senior squad members to play centre back. One injury and we''re in the same position!! Which means that either PG has irons in the fire that he''s going to pull out any minute (please god!), or, he knows less about football than Vicky Pollard!!
[/quote]

To be fair to Grant I think he see''s that a lot of our defensive problems could be solved with an effective midfield.  He said something the other day about our defensive problem being "further up the pitch".  To an extent I agree with him as well.  How many times in the last 3 years have we seen our midfield standing off and backing into our defence?

[quote user="a1canary"]I''ve been screaming about this for weeks, with posts headed things like "PLEASE GOD CAN WE HAVE A CENTRAL DEFENDER" and i will keep banging the drum until it happens!

I absolutely do not understand why Grant has such a blind spot over this. Everyone, whether they''re Arsene Wenger, Alex Ferguson or Vicky Pollard, knows that ANY successful team needs an experienced, commanding pair of centre backs at its heart. I''m not going to bore people with examples - just think of a successful team, then think about who they have as their centre backs.

Now think about who we have. A 25 year old and a 22 year old (give or take year - guessing there), both of whom are neither commanding nor experienced (enough). The very least we need is someone who is, to play alongside one of them.

The sort of person we''d be looking for will have to be 30ish - don''t worry about that as sub 30 central defenders with any decent experience are nearly all well established in the premiership - Dawson, Terry, Vidic, Davenport etc.

But the thing that has me even more perplexed about this is the loaning of Fleming. Wolves wanted him because they didn''t have enough senior squad members to play centre back. One injury and we''re in the same position!! Which means that either PG has irons in the fire that he''s going to pull out any minute (please god!), or, he knows less about football than Vicky Pollard!!
[/quote]

Vicky Pollard knows didly squit , unlike Jo Guest who has seen it all, she set her stall out early doors.

David Mirfin at Huddersfiled is a big lad...

failing that how about someone like Leon Cort? would be hard to prise him away from Palace though id of thought

jas :)