Sign in to follow this  
Berks canary

Neil Adams " Norwich are one of the best championship sides "

I cannot believe the blind faith or total naivety Neil Adams seems to have for Norwich . A few weeks ago i heard him state looking at the team man by man Norwich should be top of the table !( Only Earnshaw would get a game in any top 6 side ) .  Last week he said that no way Norwich would be involved in a relegation scrap ! And to top it all yesterday he said that Norwich would have no problem attracting players to the club as Norwich are one of the best championship sides !!   - Look at the table , look at the total lack of significant signings over many years and the growing list of players who have opted for other less fashionable championship clubs .Isn''t it about time that Radio Norfolk had commentators who live in the real world , understand what a mess we are in and are actually not afraid to ask the same hard questions that the fans are asking , rather than deflecting them ?

I really cannot understand Adams on this one. He keeps banging on about how good we are, and if we one of the best sides in the Championship surely we would be in the top 6 or there abouts. Sounds like he is singing from Neil Doncasters Hymn Book! This club is in a mess and in danger of sliding towards the mire. I wait with baited breath to see what happens before Wednesday night, and see the true extent of the clubs ambition.  

A team finishes where it deserves to finish... over the course of a season the league table does not lie.

Unfortunately, this season the table will tell those of us that don''t realise it already that once again we have declined as a club...

The final league table will tell us that we are 16th or 17th best in this very poor division at best...  and at worst it will tell us that we are 22nd or 23rd best... or maybe even the worst team in this division...  and deserving of Div 1 football next season!!!

It''s all part of the public "spin" required to keep on the right side of the club.....and it''s staff. You won''t get interviews after slagging anyone off....so play the safe card.

He was a crap player anyway.....

[quote user="Berks canary"]

A few weeks ago i heard him state looking at the team man by man Norwich should be top of the table !( Only Earnshaw would get a game in any top 6 side ) .  

[/quote]

Well...no. Darren Huckerby is as good as any player in this league. He is Premiership quality. Safri is one of, if not the best, midfielders of his type in the league. Lee Croft isn''t too far off being a very good player at this level. He''s just trying a bit too hard at the moment. Adam Drury is one of the better fullbacks in the league. Dickson is a very good player when he''s playing with confidence, as is the Doc. And obviously Dion Dublin is proven quality.

Carl Robinson is what you''d call a comfort zone player. He''s a good player but he plays safely within his limits. If Norwich were doing well he''s the kind of player you''d have on the bench. Same with Colin, Shackell and Andy Hughes.

Norwich really aren''t too far away. Just 3 or 4 players needed to make them a proper force.

sounds like he wants the manager''s job, he is certainly saying the things the board likes!

[quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"]

[/quote]Evidently you didn''t watch Norwich back when he was playing.A good honest winger with a penalty conversion rate that would make any stiker blush and a work ethic that wouldn''t go amiss in 90% of our current squad.

Maybe he is referring to the club as a whole i.e decent ground, decent training facilities, 25,000 turning up week after and reasonably secure finances - as apposed to the overpaid under performing prima donna''s on the pitch!!

It''s all part of the public "spin" required to keep on the right side of the club.....and it''s staff. You won''t get interviews after slagging anyone off....so play the safe card.

[/quote]

Dont be Silly Cluck.. Neil Adams was a good player for us, a decent Pro who got his fair share of goals from Penalties and Set Pieces.. wasnt quick for a winger but had some skill...

he is a coach at the club (under 15''s i think) so cant bite the hand that feeds him... Get a different former player not affiliated with the club to summarise and they will say it how it is...

jas :)

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Berks canary"]

A few weeks ago i heard him state looking at the team man by man Norwich should be top of the table !( Only Earnshaw would get a game in any top 6 side ) .  

[/quote]

Well...no. Darren Huckerby is as good as any player in this league. He is Premiership quality. Safri is one of, if not the best, midfielders of his type in the league. Lee Croft isn''t too far off being a very good player at this level. He''s just trying a bit too hard at the moment. Adam Drury is one of the better fullbacks in the league. Dickson is a very good player when he''s playing with confidence, as is the Doc. And obviously Dion Dublin is proven quality.

Carl Robinson is what you''d call a comfort zone player. He''s a good player but he plays safely within his limits. If Norwich were doing well he''s the kind of player you''d have on the bench. Same with Colin, Shackell and Andy Hughes.

Norwich really aren''t too far away. Just 3 or 4 players needed to make them a proper force.

[/quote]

If I had hair I wouldn''t be bald .....but I am bald as I don''t have hair-go figure!!

I can see where Adams is coming from, Norwich were playing with the same players at the start of the season and they were playing good football.  A few injuries and consequently a few bad results and all of a sudden they look a different side.  I think what Adams was talking about was the fact that they obviously can play well.  We are a very good team ON PAPER!

Quite like Neil Adams. Think he''s a sensible chap who knows his football. He tries not to get too carried away one way or t''other. If City do well he likes to play it down to a reasonable level and if they''re not doing so well he doesn''t like to resort to drama queen knee-jerk reactions. He was a good player and I think he has a pretty decent understanding of the game. There''s certainly worse opinions to listen to than his.

I''ve often hoped he''d put himself in the frame to be City boss.

Ever the optimist but I am afraid not a realist....

Hucks has never made it in the premiership...  and Dublin''s 74. 

Drury''s an average defender whose not that good going forward, Colin, ditto, and can''t pass, Doherty''sdefensively inept - its a chronic defence, one of the worst in the league - STATS.

Safri, is there anyone of his type in the league, he hasn''t controlled the games I''ve seen him in!  Hughes (was a dream of mine to play for Norwich, never good enough -  how did he get a game?), Robinson, Jarrett, Etuhu, and many others, are below the standards NCFC should aspire to.

Brown, why did Sunderland let a youngster go if he is that good - and he''s unproven!!!   I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being... but it doesn''t say much that he has gone from Sunderland''s reserves straight into our team when we have someone like Ryan Jarvis who was once highly rated!   Without Earnshaw who will score the goals needed to avoid the drop?

Thorne, another that has done nothing at the club....time to go.  

I promise you, NCFC really are FAR, FAR AWAY....

Of course there are the youngsters, but sadly their confidence and desire has been ripped out of them due to lack of opportunity because of the constant influx of over-rated carthorses brought in as desperate measures.

Don''t believe the hype ''we ain''t very good anymore and its gonna get worse... sadly''!

Ged

if anyone thinks norwich are one of the best teams in the championship they must need their heads tested.My god the blind faith of some people it makes me sick

[/quote]

I disagree to a point, yes, his general play was total poo, but he was one hell of a penalty taker. In all his other media work, he''s a 100%  ''yes man''!.

Radio Norfolk must get someone who is independent from NCFC. Until then, you will get Neil Adams'' biased views, though when we are in League One next season it might give him a wake up call.

sent a text to radio norfolk on sat telling adams to stop talking crap and wake up and realise we have one of the poorest squads ever at this club. Funnily enough it didnt get read out. the bloke talks utter crap week in and week out, he hasnt a clue.

Adams will never criticise the club, and what makes me laugh is the way he just comes out with the same sh*t week in, week out and has been for about 2 years now.

During the whole Worthington debacle in the 2005-06 season, there were Canary Call programs literally full of callers calling for Worthy''s head. All Adams could say is "This is the manager who got us up 2 years ago." At the start of this season, when people were calling for the same thing, "This is the manager who won us the league 3 seasons ago" - same when a caller criticises McVeigh, he comes back saying "Look at what he did 3-4 seasons ago, when he couldn''t stop scoring. He''s one of the best players at the club"....he just lives in the past and won''t accept the present, which we all know is CRAP!

I''d like to see Iwan get the role. The day Worthy was sacked, Radio Norfolk got Iwan on the phone and he was brutally honest about the situation and made a few stinging criticisms of Worthy''s reign - and he could be - because he is not employed by the club in any form.

[quote user="Ged"]

Ever the optimist but I am afraid not a realist....

Hucks has never made it in the premiership...  and Dublin''s 74. 

Drury''s an average defender whose not that good going forward, Colin, ditto, and can''t pass, Doherty''sdefensively inept - its a chronic defence, one of the worst in the league - STATS.

Safri, is there anyone of his type in the league, he hasn''t controlled the games I''ve seen him in!  Hughes (was a dream of mine to play for Norwich, never good enough -  how did he get a game?), Robinson, Jarrett, Etuhu, and many others, are below the standards NCFC should aspire to.

Brown, why did Sunderland let a youngster go if he is that good - and he''s unproven!!!   I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being... but it doesn''t say much that he has gone from Sunderland''s reserves straight into our team when we have someone like Ryan Jarvis who was once highly rated!   Without Earnshaw who will score the goals needed to avoid the drop?

Thorne, another that has done nothing at the club....time to go.  

Of course there are the youngsters, but sadly their confidence and desire has been ripped out of them due to lack of opportunity because of the constant influx of over-rated carthorses brought in as desperate measures.

Don''t believe the hype ''we ain''t very good anymore and its gonna get worse... sadly''!

Ged

[/quote]

finally some sense is spoken...

When an ageing Hucks, A Dion not good enough for Leicester and a decent full back and suddenly we are a couple of players off winning this league!!  Erny being the exception but I doubt he will be here come next season.

Great idea to have Iwan Roberts instead of Neil Adams, Alex. I think Adams should quit unless he cuts his ties with NCFC. I wonder if other football phone-ins around the country have ex players PAID by the club concerned? Typical Norwich.

Could be worse though, it could be Rick Waghorn - imagine the crap we would have to put up with his Pravda style journalism? ''Delia wanted to play Stalin, but he''s dead at the moment - could get a game next week however...''

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="-.-. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-"]

[/quote]

Evidently you didn''t watch Norwich back when he was playing.
A good honest winger with a penalty conversion rate that would make any stiker blush and a work ethic that wouldn''t go amiss in 90% of our current squad.

[/quote]

Ah yes...penalty taking.        [;)]

[quote user="Ged"]

[/quote]

No, they''re not. It really is only a case of 3 or 4 quality additions to the side. Too many doom merchants and drama queens on these forums and not enough people with a bit more of a sensible football brain.

He is right - on their day our best team can compete and beat the best in this league;  sadly that day happens far too infrequently and these are the biggest under achieving set of players in over a decade.

[quote user="Loughborough Canary"]I can see where Adams is coming from, Norwich were playing with the same players at the start of the season and they were playing good football.  A few injuries and consequently a few bad results and all of a sudden they look a different side.  I think what Adams was talking about was the fact that they obviously can play well.  We are a very good team ON PAPER![/quote]

last time i checked football was played on grass not paper!

[quote user="Loughborough Canary"]I can see where Adams is coming from, Norwich were playing with the same players at the start of the season and they were playing good football.  A few injuries and consequently a few bad results and all of a sudden they look a different side.  I think what Adams was talking about was the fact that they obviously can play well.  We are a very good team ON PAPER![/quote]

To GJP...  yes, yes, yes we really are about as far away as you can get from having a team fit for promotion (as the next few weeks will blatantly point out to those of us who are still too blind to open our eyes to reality)....  I am not sure which of the great managers of all time stated that "you finish where you deserve to finish over the course of a season"?

As for Loughborough Canary... didn''t the late great Brian Clough once say that "football is played on grass"???

[quote user="Smudger"]

To GJP...  yes, yes, yes we really are about as far away as you can get from having a team fit for promotion (as the next few weeks will blatantly point out to those of us who are still too blind to open our eyes to reality)....  I am not sure which of the great managers of all time stated that "you finish where you deserve to finish over the course of a season"?

[/quote]

There is no doubt that their are faults at the club at the moment. We are by no means perfect. However, most people with a bit of an idea what they''re talking about know that not a lot separates most of the teams in this league. Cardiff are a good example...when Chopra is on form they are a dangerous side and when he isn''t they aren''t.

Norwich with the addition of 3 or 4 quality players and a bit of time to gel them in will start to play good football again and will start to look like they could go somewhere.

They''ve let themselves and us down this season but provided they sign some quality players in the right positions they''ll start to look again. The squad doesn''t need a complete overhaul it just needs strengthening. We need more strength at the back, more competition for places to avoid complacency and also more strength in depth so that when we lose key players such as Huckerby and Earnshaw we''re not left to call on the likes of Peter Thorne, Ryan Jarvis or Robert Eagle.

On paper a team of;

Gallagher, Colin, Drury, Doherty, Shackell, Safri, Etuhu, Croft, Hux, Dublin & Earnshaw

would appear to be better than

Marshall, Kenton, Fugelstad, Fleming, Jackson, Grant, Milligan, Forbes, Llewellyn, Roberts, Bellamy

but I suspect the current lot will finish somewhat lower than the Walker/Rioch era team did (and lets be honest they never threatened promotion).

Quite clearly the current mob should be higher than they are. There are 5 internationals in the current 11 listed above plus Robinson making 6. Of the other 6, Drury and Hux are amongst the best in their position in this league. Etuhu has played well over a 100 games at this level (although probably only had an impact on 20 of them!!) and Colin, Croft & Shacks have shown some promise at this level. You then have the likes of Thorne, McVeigh & Hughes who have an awful lot of experience at this level and in the case of the first 2 they have had some success at this level too.

The key point still remains why are they under-performing so dramatically?