Sign in to follow this  
thefutureisyellow

WELL DONE PETER GRANT

Peter Grant is continuing to rebuild the side by loaning out a number of players and I have every confidence that next week there will be more signings either on loan or permanent. He picked up a dead duck of a team and I believe will turn things around. He is 110% committed to this club and is putting in the hours to do the job.He is spending more time with the Accadamy, even going to watch them play away which is far more than NW ever did. He lives and breathes this club and whilst results have not been good so far he will deliver. The CE and Board need to seriously look at their performance and where they have left this club after promotion. We were all told how we had planned for all possibilities including relegation from the premier league. So where is this planning now, great words have been spoken by the CE and others but the reality is that PG has picked up a pig. I believe he will turn things round but the future of the CE and his cronies must be scrutinised. Any private sector business would have sacked the CE by now, he may or may not be a nice guy who answers e-mails but he is paids a lot of our money to deliver and the evidence shows failure.

Give Grant the time he needs, he will end up being a saviour for us.

Nigel Worhtington was a good manager for this club, absolutely no doubt it. If Peter Grant does as well as Nigel did for Norwich then I''ll be quite impressed.

The loan point is a good one, and I am also really pleased that Grant is utilising the option...I''ve felt for a long time that a key reason why a number of our younger players haven''t progressed was the unwillingness to let them go out on loan, and the relatively poor standard of reserve football they were left with...Ryan Jarvis in particular should have had 50 games under his belt by now for a lower division side, to build on the promise he initially showedl...Crow also should''ve been at Peterborough on loan not permanently...but that''s another story

[quote user="hogesar"]2nd that - he''s doing more than worthless.[/quote]

Oh yea remind where we are in the league will you, i must have missed something.

[quote user="Snakepit boys"]How was he a good manager?

Just look at the ridiculous wage bill, side and position he has left us in!

He was poor! Fact!
[/quote]

So if Peter Grant gets us to a playoff final by the end of next season and gets us into the premiership 2 seasons later he will be poor too?

What does poor old Grant have to do to be good then?

worthington was a reasonable manager here but to say he was good is off the mark. if he was that good why has he been out of a job since he was sacked? a good manager would have known when things were not going right and walked away, thats why i will never consider him to be a good manager, but thats just my opinion.

He was poor! Fact!
[/quote]

How can you say that when for 10 years we were in the fizzy league and he got us promoted?

He was poor! Fact!
[/quote]

Well let''s just think about this seeing as you clearly need the help.

After Norwich being a fairly mediocre side ambling around in the depths of the First Division:

• He took Norwich to the play-off final, we lost but it should still be seen as a great memory for City fans.
  • He then won the league with a side playing stylish football and thusly took us into the Premiership.

We got relegated but had the board put up the dosh for Ashton at the start of the season then we''d probably have been ok. Norwich were also frequently praised during their stint in the Premiership for trying to play good football. Even the great José Mourinho had kind words to say.

And along the way he signed some absolutely quality players for this club. Yes, I know there is a list of duffers too but everyone makes mistakes - eg Fergie lashing £28mil on Veron. Yet Fergie is still one of the best managers ever.

The signings of Earnshaw and Huckerby (although there are several other good signings) are a tribute to Nigel Worthington. Because thanks to Nigel we have the best goalscorer in this league and a player who could quite easily play for any number of Premiership sides. Those 2 quality players aren''t going to come and play for just anyone - if they didn''t like what Nigel Worthington was about then they wouldn''t be at this club.

As for the wage bill and what not I fail to see how that''s his fault - he''s not the man who controls the finances.

Frankly if you don''t think Nigel Worthington was a good manager for Norwich then you really have absolutely no idea about football.

I am going to have to agree to disagree on this one!He was negative, Our away form was terrible, the youth provided nothing and he signed many average players.I am not saying that we did not have some good times with him, what I am saying, is that his 5 year plan totally failed and we won roughly 1 cup game during his reign!!!We are now in possibly the worst position we have been for a long long while!Good managers are people like Martin O''Neill, Alan Curbishley, Mark Hughes (remember the awful team that Souness brought to Carrow Rd) etc... I fail to see how from his takeover to his end you can say he was a good succesful manager! A nice, dignified and pleasant chap Yes!!

[quote user="GJP"]

He was poor! Fact!
[/quote]

After Norwich being a fairly mediocre side ambling around in the depths of the First Division:

• He took Norwich to the play-off final, we lost but it should still be seen as a great memory for City fans.

• He then won the league with a side playing stylish football and thusly took us into the Premiership.

We got relegated but had the board put up the dosh for Ashton at the start of the season then we''d probably have been ok. Norwich were also frequently praised during their stint in the Premiership for trying to play good football. Even the great José Mourinho had kind words to say.

And along the way he signed some absolutely quality players for this club. Yes, I know there is a list of duffers too but everyone makes mistakes - eg Fergie lashing £28mil on Veron. Yet Fergie is still one of the best managers ever.

The signings of Earnshaw and Huckerby (although there are several other good signings) are a tribute to Nigel Worthington. Because thanks to Nigel we have the best goalscorer in this league and a player who could quite easily play for any number of Premiership sides. Those 2 quality players aren''t going to come and play for just anyone - if they didn''t like what Nigel Worthington was about then they wouldn''t be at this club.

As for the wage bill and what not I fail to see how that''s his fault - he''s not the man who controls the finances.

Frankly if you don''t think Nigel Worthington was a good manager for Norwich then you really have absolutely no idea about football.

[/quote]

Did our opponents today ( Blackpool ) think that Nigel was a good manager when he was there?

[quote user="Snakepit boys"]I am going to have to agree to disagree on this one!

He was negative, Our away form was terrible, the youth provided nothing and he signed many average players.

I am not saying that we did not have some good times with him, what I am saying, is that his 5 year plan totally failed and we won roughly 1 cup game during his reign!!!

We are now in possibly the worst position we have been for a long long while!

Good managers are people like Martin O''Neill, Alan Curbishley, Mark Hughes (remember the awful team that Souness brought to Carrow Rd) etc...

I fail to see how from his takeover to his end you can say he was a good succesful manager! A nice, dignified and pleasant chap Yes!!

[/quote]

Because I''m just a bit more realistic than yourself. Interesting that you include Curbs and Hughes as good managers yet what exactly have they won that Nigel hasn''t?      And that''s not me saying I don''t rate them

Anyone with a bit of common sense will look at Norwich before Nigel was there, during his reign and then after his reign and say ok he got it wrong towards the end and he made some mistakes but all things considered he did pretty well.

Because, whether you know this or not, Norwich aren''t exactly Barcelona, Real Madrid or Man Utd. We''re not going to have the best of the best and so we need to do as well as we can with what we''ve got and Nigel Worthington definitely did quite well with what he had.

Many many years from now when Norwich have been promoted and relegated a few more times, had some more successes and lots more struggles, people will look back and realise that actually Nigel did alright.

I see your point!however to say that anyone with sense can see this is a little bit of an over statement of your opinion!I see what you are saying but despite some good times, I would say that when looking at his overall reign, he failed!

Worthy did well getting rid of Hamiltons crud, snuck 6th place to make the play-offs and give us a great season.  The following year aftera good start we faultered, how we needed a bit of inspitarion in the second half of the season.  The promotion year we were going nowhere and he managed to get teh coup of signing Huckerby Crouch and Harper, further good signings followed.

The premiership he was totally out of his depth - as were the clubs board.  from the moment we got promoted the team he had built started to be dismantled and it has been downhill ever since.

I must admit to having changed my mind a lot about worthington.  Yes he made mistakes - but its obvious he took this club as far as an average manager probably could with the current board running things.  The not spending that 3 million quid in the summer was a body blow to our survival hopes.

Unfortunatly at this time worthingtons average management failed, huffers and puffers played over those with ability was the final nail in the relegation coffin.  Following relegation ourt bloody useless scouts inability to find good bargains from the lower leagues doomed us as we signed championship failures like Hooves and Eboohoo.

The board are far more culpable than worthington for our current predicament.

How good is Chadwick, I think above average for this league. Chris Brown despite all the negative stuff is a good signing and working with Dion will help him. I think a potentially quality partnership with Earnie, if he stays. Marshall was excellent last night and PG had recognised the problems with Gallagher when he watched us play QPR, even before he was manager so he`s sorted that for the time being. The two new guys today I believe will prove to be good signings. The youngsters are on loan learning how to play football in competative rather than friendly games. Lets be honest, Grant has done a good job on a shoe string here. He has to change the team and bring in his own players. I think with the way thing are at Norwwich at the moment he has worked wonders. We will stay up, last nights performance was good,with additions we will be ok. Judge PG after next season, I think we will do well! 

[quote user="hogesar"]2nd that - he''s doing more than worthless.[/quote]With virtually no money he is begining to reshape things. Dont get carried away but I recon he will do fine. Give him a chance and get behind him and the team when they  need you

COME ON BOYS LETS HEAR IT FOR PETER GRANT. THERE HAS BEEN SO MUCH ANGER AND CRITISISM OF HIM AND HIS APPOINTMENT, LETS BACK HIM WHEN THINGS GO A BIT BETTER. HE IS DOING THE RIGHT THING FOR THE CLUB AT THE MOMENT AND BUILDING A NEW TEAM ON A SHOE STRING.ANYBODY THAT THOUGHT HE WOULD TAKE ON THE OLD SQUAD AND WORK A MIRACLE IS PRETTY NIEVE. HE HAS HIS OWN STYLE WHICH SOME WONT LIKE, FAIR ENOUGH, BUT HE IS WORKING HIS BALLS OFF FOR THIS CLUB AND AT LAST GETTING SOME REWARD.

Blimey I did get a bit carried away there, relief that we won but also that PG and more importantly NCFC has had a bit of success. Keep it going!  

Amazing to come in and see such a positive board,  it`s all got a bit boring really, where`s the bile, abuse and analysis of previous posts, are we all fast food fans? Come on Smudger, your not one for instant gratification?

What a difference a last minute goal can make to this board and probably to the immediate future. Talk of protest seems to have dried up by the main protaganists, who are presumably going to circle over the board until another oppertunity arises.We will all put to the back of our minds a very worrying defensve performance and breath the refreshing air of a small success for a while.

PG`s signings are begining to show value.Lappin looked good in his first game and he has delivered.Chris Martin is a great prospect. But lets just look at this. Until recently I was heavily involved in the accadamy set up at Colney and had been there for a number of years. Under the NW days he would hardly be seen there and certainly took very little interest in the younger age groups. PG has spent time watching accadamy games both home and away and it was he that recognised that Chris Martin was worth a shot in the first team. That is not to belittle Ricky Martin and Dave Williams contribution to developing the boy but it would be the decision of PG to bring him on.

Grant inherited a poor and demoralised squad and since then in my opinion has brought in some playeres who are very good value for money, he has also picked one lad out of the accadamy who is becoming a savior for us. We have had horrendous injury problems yet he has still kept a positive view and we have had a good time at Stamford Bridge and should now survive in the Championship. This is hardly a record to be proud of but under the circumstances it`s ok for a new manager.

He is learning his trade, has made lots of mistakes already eg blaming the crowd, but seems to learn. I know most people dont think we should have a manager at Norwich doing his apprentaship, I agree, but if he does come through this season then I believe he is the sort of guy who with his own sqad around him will engender a great team spirit which could take us a long way next year.

If the Board take the p..ss by tightening the budget so that it stangles him I will be out there protesting probably with the rest of you.

For me he has lots of rough edges but his heart is in the club and he has a good eye for a prospect.Next season I believe he will deliver if the Board give him the resources he deserves.

For me the jury is out on Grant done nout to impress me so far. I cant believe the short memories for worthy on here, yes he stayed to long, but he done well for us, got us in the premier then was out of his depth imo, much like Grant now, imo also. All those having a pop at worthy now, i bet were at the promotion party chanting his name, hypocrites. If Grant does as well as worthy gets us in the playoffs next year, i will give £200 to a local charity, cant see it though.

[quote user="ricky knight"]

For me the jury is out on Grant done nout to impress me so far. I cant believe the short memories for worthy on here, yes he stayed to long, but he done well for us, got us in the premier then was out of his depth imo, much like Grant now, imo also. All those having a pop at worthy now, i bet were at the promotion party chanting his name, hypocrites. If Grant does as well as worthy gets us in the playoffs next year, i will give £200 to a local charity, cant see it though.

[/quote]

"The jury?"

You and smudger?

HA!

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="ricky knight"]

[/quote]

"The jury?"

You and smudger?

HA!

[/quote]

OK who will put £200 to charity if we dont make playoffs, should be plenty of takers, because you are all saying how good grant is, going to be etc.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Snakepit boys"]How was he a good manager?Just look at the ridiculous wage bill, side and position he has left us in!He was poor! Fact![/quote]

So if Peter Grant gets us to a playoff final by the end of next season and gets us into the premiership 2 seasons later he will be poor too?

What does poor old Grant have to do to be good then?

[/quote]"What does he have to do to be good?" ??  he''s not shown he''s any better than average yet and that''s being generous, very generous!

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="GJP"]

He was poor! Fact!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Did our opponents today ( Blackpool ) think that Nigel was a good manager when he was there?

[/quote]

Not sure and also not sure what the relevance is. This discussion is about the developments under Peter Grant, moving on to how this compares to Nigel Worthington. Nothing about what he did before he was with us. He could have been an undertaker for all I care. He did what he did for us and that''s all I care about. Your question might be better suited to a Blackpool message board perhaps.[8-)]

[quote user="baldyboy"]worthington was a reasonable manager here but to say he was good is off the mark. if he was that good why has he been out of a job since he was sacked? a good manager would have known when things were not going right and walked away, thats why i will never consider him to be a good manager, but thats just my opinion.[/quote]

Understand what you are saying, but would you walk away when being sacked you get a big pay day? Don''t think I would or many others. Worthy was good, but went stale like many managers who stay too long. Still I thank him for that day at Crewe and living the dream for a while. All the best to him with his future and I would shake his hand if our paths ever crossed since he has conducted himself very well since been giving the sack.

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

COME ON BOYS LETS HEAR IT FOR PETER GRANT. THERE HAS BEEN SO MUCH ANGER AND CRITISISM OF HIM AND HIS APPOINTMENT, LETS BACK HIM WHEN THINGS GO A BIT BETTER. HE IS DOING THE RIGHT THING FOR THE CLUB AT THE MOMENT AND BUILDING A NEW TEAM ON A SHOE STRING.ANYBODY THAT THOUGHT HE WOULD TAKE ON THE OLD SQUAD AND WORK A MIRACLE IS PRETTY NIEVE. HE HAS HIS OWN STYLE WHICH SOME WONT LIKE, FAIR ENOUGH, BUT HE IS WORKING HIS BALLS OFF FOR THIS CLUB AND AT LAST GETTING SOME REWARD.

Blimey I did get a bit carried away there, relief that we won but also that PG and more importantly NCFC has had a bit of success. Keep it going!  

[/quote]

I agree with all of your sentiments highlighted mate...

I would just hope that this board or anybody taking their place can give Granty the finances to have a real bash at being a success here.  You are right that he has been trying to build a new team on a shoe string (but at a club like this Peter should not be being put in that kind of position).

He does have to do some work on the tactical side of things and what he says to the press in my opinion, but for a new manager I believe that Granty has done as well as anybody could of hoped for under the current set up at the club.

I just hope that he gets some proper money to spend in the summer...  because I believe that if Delia & Co back this guy they will see a return on their investment...  if they can''t back Granty then they need to bring somebody else on to the board of directors that gives us the finacial power that we need in order to back the guy to build a team capable of a promotion push!!!