Sign in to follow this  
vos

Grant - the picture says it all

On the front of todays EDP football page there is a picture of our players congratulating each other on the goal against Plymouth. The noise in the stadium was at a high level. What is our manager''s response. He is completely ignoring them but shouting out instructions to another player who would have no hope of hearing him - and for that matter understanding him !!! What on earth was the point of this ?? No wonder head coach Martin Hunter looks bemused.

So far Peter Grant''s approach seems to be "I am a hard man who knows best and will sort you out". This has not worked and we are now a worse team than when the boring and defensive Worthington left. We have a reasonable squad to make an impact in this division but the players are clearly not motivated and I suspect Grant has already lost the dressing room.

I feel sorry for the Board as on paper he seemed a sensible choice. However, there policy of little interference with the Team Manager has not worked for some time and they have taken their eye of the ball becoming too involved with property development, catering etc. This current squad should keep us up and I would not advocate any more expenditure on players for the time being until we see whether Grant can get to grips with the situation. We desperately need a shake up on the coaching side.

I thought exactly the same thing, Vos. Can''t the demented haggis-basher shut up for one minute? Maybe he was giving them advice in how best to celebrate a goal.

i think your being a bit harsh there, its a picture, a still image and for all we know he could have been smiling and congratulaing the team before reminding his players to keep it tight before the break to avoid an early reply.... say against palace maybe?

And did you see that Safri ignored Grant when he ran to the dug out when we scored?  When he did that blinder in the Premiership, he ran to Worthington and cuddled him.  Grant has not lost the dressing room.  He is simply making no attempt to gain it in the first place.

Interestingly, I got a reply from Neil Doncaster to an email I sent, asking me what made me think that Grant was on top money, and what made me think it would cost us his full contract if we sacked him.  Very interesting, as whatever the ''public'' face, the board must realise now (along with Dave ''clueless'' Stringer) that an arm-waving shouter who was generally a rubbish player,and has never managed a real football club, was only ever going to be...rubbish.  I also pointed out that Sunderland took a risk on a rookie, but that their rookie happened to be a world class footballer, who had the the endorsement of Sir Alex Ferguson, rather than Alan Pardew.....

Neil also said that Grant met the criteria the board had set out.  I questioned why the word ''experience'' had no found it''s way onto their list of criteria, but he avoided that question.....

Grant out.

[quote user="vos"]

On the front of todays EDP football page there is a picture of our players congratulating each other on the goal against Plymouth. The noise in the stadium was at a high level. What is our manager''s response. He is completely ignoring them but shouting out instructions to another player who would have no hope of hearing him - and for that matter understanding him !!! What on earth was the point of this ?? No wonder head coach Martin Hunter looks bemused.

So far Peter Grant''s approach seems to be "I am a hard man who knows best and will sort you out". This has not worked and we are now a worse team than when the boring and defensive Worthington left. We have a reasonable squad to make an impact in this division but the players are clearly not motivated and I suspect Grant has already lost the dressing room.

I feel sorry for the Board as on paper he seemed a sensible choice. However, there policy of little interference with the Team Manager has not worked for some time and they have taken their eye of the ball becoming too involved with property development, catering etc. This current squad should keep us up and I would not advocate any more expenditure on players for the time being until we see whether Grant can get to grips with the situation. We desperately need a shake up on the coaching side.

[/quote]

Is this some sort of wind up post????Where do you start.......Well I was at the game and the first person to congratulate Safri was Grant and then all the other players joined in, he''s hardly going to jump in the middle of them and hand out hugs and kisses, we were playing badly and only 1-0 up at home to plymouth.On the other hand.....Are you saying that if Grant had jumped in the middle of the players and handed out hugs and congratulations the players wouldnt have come out for the 2nd half and get totally pi**ed on by Plymouth...Pur-lease. If you believe that then this managment game is well easy, you just hug all the players when you score and you''ll go on and win, sssssssshhhh  everyone, dont tell the others cos they''ll all be doing it next weekend.Grant was probably telling one of the defenders to keep it tight for a few mins as we''d just snatched a goal dead on 45mins and he really doesnt want the players to lose concentration in the next 2 mins and give a goal away at the worst possible time........SHAME ON YOU GRANT!!!!!!

[quote user="vos"]

[/quote]

And they say it''s the club who use "spin" a lot...This picture suggests nowt.  The players are celebrating, and I''m led to believe by people who were there that Grant celebrated as well.  The fact that he''s taken a moment to issue instructions to another player off-camera means nothing.  What better time to issue instructions than a break in play, after all...

It seems to me that we are looking for every possible excuse to slate anything Grant does. I am not sure that this is anywhere near the top of the list of worries. I have seen all the top managers do this - see Moyes reaction after Everton scored yesterday and Mouriniho frequently does it. Some managers don''t even celebrate their teams goals!!

[quote user="Web Team - Vince"]

Here''s the front page:

[/quote]

OMG! I know he''s known as a Little Hitler but saluting the players in that fashion is bang out of order!