Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

Dohertys Comments today

reading what he has to say about how playing Youth could be a disaster, is it because he genuinely feels this or is it because he fears for his place in the team?

I feel that PG has something top the Doc and he is now feeling the pich, as it where, with his place in jeopardy he will come out with a comment like this for fear of Spillane taking his place, or Colin moving to center back if Spillane is played at his preferred full back.

what does everyone think?

jas :)

[quote]"playing them in a struggling team could be a “nightmare” and affect them badly in the long term"[/quote]

Maybe he''s speaking from experience - and his own confidence has been shot to pieces this season.

As for Colin as centre back - is he good enough in the air? He always seems to be second to the ball when crosses come in from the left and the ball clears the central defenders.

I was thinking the same.

He would say anything to keep his place, and his comments hardly surprise me. But why do the press always goto him? Or is it the other way around...

I haven''t read the whole article I must admit....so does it say at the end how we''re Burnley are going to feel a "backlash"?

How are we suppose to know if they''re ready or good enough if they''re rarely given a chance?

Unfortunately, the structure of reserve team football has changed for the worst over the past few seasons. The Premier League have compounded the problem by limiting their Reserve League to their own clubs. This has resulted in reserve team football becoming more and more marginalised by some clubs, as they''d rather see their fringe first team players go out on loan to Championship Clubs. This has a knock on effect throughout the feeder leagues and our reserves just aren''t getting the same standard of footy that they would have received a few season back.

The only answer, in my opinion, must be to get a few more of these lads out on loan to League One or League Two clubs to build their expereince.

I just wish they would gag the players especially Docherty, its just not helping at the moment.

I think Doc has a valid point. Blooding a youth in a failing side, with a poisonous atmosphere could definitely stunt his development as a professional footballer! Eadie''s debut was against Bayern when the ''feel good factor'' was at a high & he''ll probably feel that helped his development more than if it was his debut today.

I would imagine he has answered the loaded questions that you don''t see as honestly as he can! Maybe someone from the Web Team knows how these articles happen? Are they players answering the clubs/press questions or statements they make voluntarily?

even last season with nothing to play for, they were not getting that vital experience that 20 minutes in a game can have.  And did Eagles place in the team impact our results?  It was certainly more beneficial than any of Thorne''s sub appearances, or Hughes Robinson and Etuhu''s performances.

The failure to give these playes any opportunity is coming to roost now, a couple of injuries and they will be thrust into the fold in the middle of a relegation battle.

Then again maybe they arent good enough in training. Training at colney is not real football mind.  Our team look like premiership champions in training.  Especially Etuhu, Hughes and co........  Safri is rubbish in training it would seem.

Bruce''s Header wrote the following post at 17/01/2007 1:33 PM:

I think Doc has a valid point. Blooding a youth in a failing side, with a poisonous atmosphere could definitely stunt his development as a professional footballer! Eadie''s debut was against Bayern when the ''feel good factor'' was at a high & he''ll probably feel that helped his development more than if it was his debut today.

Bruce would you be kind enough to read my post from the weekend and comment. You might be the only person who can help me with a quest for an answer.

http://new.pinkun.com/cs/forums/848215/ShowPost.aspx

It realy is time for the players to shut up and let the football do the talking.

I cannot see where he has any room to spout on about others. When he was not playing and we had DD in defence not only were we better organised, shackell played better and we didn''t leak so many goals.

Shut up Doc

Having read the comments, I would not dream of speculatiing on them or reading anything into them.

From my experience if a young man shows that he has ability on the training ground he will be used. Likewise if he is the sort to be last into the tackle while training it is likely he will be the same on the field of conflict.  If you are not confident enough to be a force to be reckoned with on the training ground amongst people you know then that speaks volumes for me.  I''m sure that Rooney will be a force to be reckoned with where and whenever he plays whether on training or for real.  If I were manager or Saunders were still here as manager you had to train for real or you were out!!!  Whatever spin we as posters put on comments made by footballers or managers to the media it is all speculation and not worth the effort.  For me I would expect my from my men reality and effort from every man in training and in real games, you cannot separate the two venues, as I see it there seems to be too much pretence and too many hiding from responsibility wherever they are.  They really do not seem to know what they are doing IMHO there is no organisation Hucks included and for me he creates more problems than he solves, and completely upsets the balance of what could be a team. 

"I would imagine he has answered the loaded questions that you don''t see as honestly as he can! Maybe someone from the Web Team knows how these articles happen? Are they players answering the clubs/press questions or statements they make voluntarily?"

The article states:

"Doherty was speaking at the launch of the Wickes Young Apprentice Trophy.

The trophy, sponsored by the official home improvement partner of the Championship, recognises the league''s best young apprentice with £5,000 going towards the youth development programme of the winner''s club"

Rather ironic?

The Doc''s mindset is something that has always been in question. e can be a very good centre back for about half the game and then suddenly he appears at left wing completely irrationally. I feel The Doc cannot disscuss what is good for a youths mentality when his was left at luton years ago. I feel that football is all about mentality, and is also something that doesn''t really develop. you either have it or not. Rooney was already a first teamer for Everton by the age of Martin. This was also when Everton were only just above the relegation zone. I feel him playing in this pressure enviroment never really stunted his growth. Although you don''t really hear much about him now do you....? Must have been to much for him......

They say that the mind is the athlete, the body is the means. From today''s comments we can see just how weak-minded Doherty is. We don''t need spineless goons like him at our club. He could be giving the youth players confidence, when speaking publicly. Instead he undermines them. Because he is weak, and thinks others are are weak as him. I bet 99% of all our young players have more guts than Gary ''I panic at anything'' Doherty.

for me, doherty has actually hit the nail on the head, and contracidicted himself at the same time!!

First of all he says “But it would have been a nightmare for the lad to come in on Saturday because we weren''t performing at all well. The fans were getting on our back and Plymouth had their tails up and pounding us. I would have been tough for the young lad to come on but I think that''s part of you make-up. '''' i.e henderson style which is true but then he goes onto say....

“If we were flying in the league then maybe the young lads wouldn''t get their chance because you wouldn''t change the team,” , again a fair and possibly true comment, but then when exactly are we to play the youth players?! the only way is to follow the arsenal direction and loan them out to a team in the league below you and should they impress either sell or put them in the team.... otherwise the whole ''academy - tactic zone'' is a complete waste of time, money and management

[quote user="Norfolk Dan"]

Bruce''s Header wrote the following post at 17/01/2007 1:33 PM:

Bruce would you be kind enough to read my post from the weekend and comment. You might be the only person who can help me with a quest for an answer.

http://new.pinkun.com/cs/forums/848215/ShowPost.aspx

[/quote]

These are very hard questions to answer when thinking it through thoroughly.

As I have already stated, the current dire football combined with the poisonous atmosphere at Carrow Road could potentially damage a fledgling player’s progress. We are in desperate need of points at this moment in time & the pressure put on such young shoulders may just make some buckle.

When is the right time to play youth? Well, (short of loaning them all out) in my opinion the perfect opportunity was last season when there was no chance of promotion, yet no chance of relegation. Surely in games like this, where the pressure is off, youngsters should be played in their correct positions week in, week out for as close to 90 minutes as possible? So this season the likes of the Jarvis brothers, Hendo, Spillane, Martin etc should play from March/April (assuming we’re not in a relegation dog fight). Only then will we get a real indication of how good they actually are.

Thinking from the other side of the argument, maybe the youngsters could be a shining light & the adrenalin of the pressure & occasion could spur them on to play out of their skins, resulting in a winning streak of 5/6 games… But I just can’t see it!

We need a short term fix to ensure survival this season in the way of new signings. Then the youth should be given a chance to prove their worth in the twilight of the season. This way everyone’s happy, right?

[quote user="Philip Ellis"]

for me, doherty has actually hit the nail on the head, and contracidicted himself at the same time!!

First of all he says “But it would have been a nightmare for the lad to come in on Saturday because we weren''t performing at all well. The fans were getting on our back and Plymouth had their tails up and pounding us. I would have been tough for the young lad to come on but I think that''s part of you make-up. '''' i.e henderson style which is true but then he goes onto say....

“If we were flying in the league then maybe the young lads wouldn''t get their chance because you wouldn''t change the team,” , again a fair and possibly true comment, but then when exactly are we to play the youth players?! the only way is to follow the arsenal direction and loan them out to a team in the league below you and should they impress either sell or put them in the team.... otherwise the whole ''academy - tactic zone'' is a complete waste of time, money and management

[/quote]

Its a bit much for me when you have a young player on form like Martin, on the bench due to injuries and you are desperate for a goal and he is overlooked.  Robinson came on to loud murmerings from the crowd for Colin and we acheived nothing for the last 10 minutes.  Anyone remember young Dean Bowditch (whom hasn''t made it as yet) giving us the runaround a few years back in the local derby??  Would never happen to a Norwich youngster.

grant did the right thing with eagle, a couple of sub games a couple of  starts and then withdrew him, although i would like to see him on the bench, i think granty should try that with rossi, spillane and martin and possibly bally smart too, just to give them a feel of how it can be.

Spot on Jas.  the way he is playing I would rather see Andy hughes there and I cant stand either of em.  Docherty was a dreadful act of panic purchasing and is unconvincing in whichover position you play him.  Slow reactions, alot of cuddling and shirt pulling to make up for lack of pace and alot of cheap paper talk, followed by lacklustre performances on pitch.   God in the air occasionally, but not to sure footed.  Dion Dublin and Jason Shackell are the immediate answer, with perhaps as many as three defensive players need signing.  Dublin for captain, new left and right backs and cover at centre half.  Gag docherty from talking to papers and hide his hooves.  Gigedy Gigedy Goo