Sign in to follow this  
Alex Harvey-Jones

This board needs Cluck, 1st Wiz and the like!

I''m sure it hasn''t escaped people''s attention that recently there have been posts suggesting that Cluck and 1st Wiz should leave the board, be banned from the board, stop their type of post etc etc. Now I''ll be the first to admit I don''t always agree with posts from either of these rogues and sometimes get annoyed with their banter - however I can''t help but feel that this board would be much the worse if characters like Wiz and Cluck left.

This board is open to all for debate, for banter, for argument - in fact for whatever people choose to print as long as it''s acceptable to the moderators who, may I add, do a great job! I don''t think that anyone one of us has the right to start dictating who can post what or who should have the right to post on this board. However my reason for defending these posters goes beyond this defence of free speech. Many of Cluck and 1st Wiz''s posts are challenging, well though out, well argued or well reasoned, irrespective of whether you actually agree with what is put - they are the source of much discussion, disagreement and argument. A message board needs good posts and I would like to suggest these two create more responses, provoke more thought and provide more entertainment than many of the rest of us put together with some notable exceptions.

This board would be very boring if all posts were short and there was no controversy - why do people get so heated and angry with people who have different opinions to themselves? Why is your opinion so valid but not an opinion of someone else? If you disagree with sentiments then by all means argue against it with well thought out, well argued logic - insults are not the way forward, calling for posters to be banned is not the way forward.

I actually think that having people who argue black is white or who are deliberately controversial or who write well worded and intelligently argued posts is just what a message board needs because it promotes healthy debate and stimulates thinking and well formulated responses. I maintain that the board without Cluck and 1st Wiz and other posters of similar content eg Rudolph Hucker, Citizen Journalist Foghorn etc would be boring, stale and without character. I''m not asking you to like these guys or like their posts but see their worth in the promotion of good healthy intellectual debate about a topic we all hold close to our heart. Yes you could ban them, yes you could ask them to leave but the board''s character would die with it!

All good points Alex Harvey-Jones and I agree entirely. But I haven''t seen a post suggesting these posters should be banned from the board although I may find one as I carry on trawling through! If I find one I will post against it too.

Surely the only posts that should be banned from the board are those the moderators remove. I must be a "good boy" because I have never had a post rejected....... yet! [;)]

Agreed Alex - like wise people like chicken and yankee who put forward counter arguments are also needed.   

The bit that needs cutting out by all is the mentality that just because someone disagrees that they are not a true supporter, follow tahn, dont have the best interests of the club at heart etc etc.   That leads to the downward spiral into personal recriminations and moves away from the real issues at the heart the club we love that is currently struggling so badly. 

I don''t disagree with that, this game is all about opinions, I think some are utter tosh but it doesn''t mean they shouldn''t be posted. Most of the stuff posted is just good banter, I wouldn''t want it "dumbed down" too much, it''s not big brother is it? I can''t believe they are investigating racial bullying in the BB house, what bulls**t, do they not have anything better to do, if they investigated my workplace they''d close us down, but its only a bit of fun! a bit of name calling never harmed anyone, sticks and stones and all that......

I agree. I think what is being referred to is when people suggest they should leave which has happened on the odd occaision, not that they should be banned.

I think what people really want is for them to actually have some sort of constructive argument because most of the time they simply state that they feel the board should be sacked - which as one clever poster has already pointed out they would have to sack themselves. Its just continuity.

Cluck got personal with me when he tried to claim my posts had no point and were just "drivel" which I find offensive because I do my best to put together something in five minutes which have a couple of points and some sort of factual basis to support them - it wound me up even more that Cluck''s original post contained nothing more than assumption and conjecture and he refused to recognise that.

These characters are needed because it is always good to have the range of views, they just have to be a little less aggressive. Wiz for example has mellowed out a bit after last season which is nice to see, CJF has even done the same, I think Cluck is just unlucky in a late arrival after all of the previous arguments.

If I was to be honest I think there are worse posters and far more offencive ones than those three - the ones that make maybe two posts a day literaly just to throw a little bit of abuse. Lets face it if Cluck, Wiz and CJF didnt post the rest of us would post less also.

Oh and I would just add that I try not to use the term supporters - thats not to exclude people but to include people. I prefer fan or fans because some people are unable to go to games and so follow the club by other means.

I see a supporter as someone who is at the ground on a match day and who "supports" the team and club etc. Therefore by refering to everyone as a fan it makes more sense to me. So if I have confused people into thinking that I am suggesting that they are not a supporter then I apologise.

I suppose on some occaision I may have suggested as a result of this theory that they are not a supporter because in my mind this is someone who actively supports the Club. For example at the moment I would say Cluck has a lot of issues with the club and he does not truly support many aspects of it. In my mind he is still a fan as he wants the best possible outcome for our club but is making a point about the fact that the current set up will not get his support/backing.

I hope that makes sense?!!!

There is a place for everyone here.  But there also needs to be space available for everyone here.  Covering the message board with copy and paste posts left right and centre bores people, it doesn''t make an opinion any more right or wrong.  Creating umpteen threads a day saying the same thing but in slightly more melodramatic terms each time also bores people, as does being pidgeon-holed as a KTF, WO, WTF, Squeakie, or DeliaLala land ostrich.

[quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"]

I''m sure it hasn''t escaped people''s attention that recently there have been posts suggesting that Cluck and 1st Wiz should leave the board, be banned from the board, stop their type of post etc etc. Now I''ll be the first to admit I don''t always agree with posts from either of these rogues and sometimes get annoyed with their banter - however I can''t help but feel that this board would be much the worse if characters like Wiz and Cluck left.

[/quote]

Gee, thats damn nice of you Alex, your posts aren''t so bad either. In fact, I''d go further, if I see you name against a thread I always make a beeline for it .

And you know I NEVER kiss bottoms, its the truth mate.

Of course you are right.

I just find it annoying when this board turns in to a ego-fuelling / attention-seeking forum. I find it cringeworthy that certain posters have become mini celebrities on here just because they say ''crazy/zany'' or ''extremist/controversial'' things. It embarrasses me when there are entire chains of posts mentioning or focusing on specific posters.

I want to read football debates not read posts from losers who want to ''make a name for themselves'' in cyberspace or lackies who want to suck up to the bad boys in the classroom by mentioning their name every time they post.

OTBC

Nope.... still can''t find the posts suggesting posters be banned from the board!

Can anyone point me to where they are?

[quote user="Konstantin Pobedonostsev"]

Of course you are right.

I just find it annoying when this board turns in to a ego-fuelling / attention-seeking forum. I find it cringeworthy that certain posters have become mini celebrities on here just because they say ''crazy/zany'' or ''extremist/controversial'' things. It embarrasses me when there are entire chains of posts mentioning or focusing on specific posters.

I want to read football debates not read posts from losers who want to ''make a name for themselves'' in cyberspace or lackies who want to suck up to the bad boys in the classroom by mentioning their name every time they post.

OTBC

[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more KP.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Nope.... still can''t find the posts suggesting posters be banned from the board!

[/quote]

Maybe not "banned"....but silenced by the small group of cranks who have long considered this space their own. I didn''t get past the first sentence of the Yanks attack on me to be honest....and I slept well thanks......[:)]....It was little more than a jealous outburst.....and doesn''t every pub has it''s resident nutter?

Back to Norwich City Football Club guys/girls....and why we apparently congregate here. No harm done........[:)]

[quote user="Konstantin Pobedonostsev"]

Of course you are right.

OTBC

[/quote]

To a certain extent i agree but what is crazy/zany to one man is quite normal to another. I rather enjoy the more bizarre posters here, let''s be honest if we just chatted about footy it would be even more depressing than it is already. I wouldn''t want to censor people views because I think they are too extreme, I will be the judge of that anyway. I have always thought of myself as a fairly opinionated person with strong and sometimes contoversial views, but by the standard of some posters here I am the philosophical and optimistic person ever.

The thread you refer to was unnecessary in my eyes so I didn''t respond, there was another thread active where the post wouldn''t have appeared so personal. But we can have no problem with it as it was passed by the moderators.

I have had differences of opinion with many posters in my time on this board. Surely everyone has because the board is for opinions and opinions differ widely even in a community where we should all want the same things. However, I have never suggested posters be banned and in fact I have never seen it suggested neither have I seen it suggested that posters should be stopped posting or silenced.

If this thread is about posters being free to post what they want within the boundaries applied by the moderators then I am in agreement. But isn''t that what happens anyway?

Back to Norwich City Cluck... would you like to debate your sig with me??

[quote user="chicken"]

Cluck got personal with me when he tried to claim my posts had no point and were just "drivel" which I find offensive because I do my best to put together something in five minutes which have a couple of points and some sort of factual basis to support them - it wound me up even more that Cluck''s original post contained nothing more than assumption and conjecture and he refused to recognise that.

These characters are needed because it is always good to have the range of views, they just have to be a little less aggressive. Wiz for example has mellowed out a bit after last season which is nice to see, CJF has even done the same, I think Cluck is just unlucky in a late arrival after all of the previous arguments.

If I was to be honest I think there are worse posters and far more offencive ones than those three - the ones that make maybe two posts a day literaly just to throw a little bit of abuse. Lets face it if Cluck, Wiz and CJF didnt post the rest of us would post less also.

[/quote]

Chicken...you and a few others take me farrrrrr too seriously. We come from a different age group and so what I might say could sometimes seem rather harsh to you. It''s just banter....and as you can see from the endless amount of abuse (some even a bit pervy) I get each day....I don''t take anything very seriously.....and a good job too I think eh?

If we haven''t got an ironic sense of humour...we really shouldn''t be following a club like NCFC should we?

As for the Delialalaland...squeakies...etc......If I didn''t use these regular wind ups, who would retaliate? It often creates a buzz of activity and I honestly don''t care if it is all aimed at me....and as you know I''m always up for a bit of heated ding dong. One or two on here are genuinely unpleasant characters I have to say....so you''ll just have to forgive me indulging in a bit of serious sport now and again......[;)]

I mean what I say in my posts mind.....but going "over the top" is purely for dramatic effect!........[:)]

[quote user="Cluck"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Maybe not "banned"....but silenced by the small group of cranks who have long considered this space their own. I didn''t get past the first sentence of the Yanks attack on me to be honest....and I slept well thanks......[:)]....It was little more than a jealous outburst.....and doesn''t every pub has it''s resident nutter?

Back to Norwich City Football Club guys/girls....and why we apparently congregate here. No harm done........[:)]

There are three posters on this board , who will never be banned , thats Cluck , Wiz , Smudger, all stars of the east , along with Hucker ,(where has he got to ?) and of course Foghorn, all people who have their views , and power to their arms , i will defend them with my last breath to have their say , mind you when i did have my last breath a few years ago Wiz what not the one  i was thinking of.

[/quote]

[quote user="ray ducker"][quote user="Cluck"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

There are three posters on this board , who will never be banned , thats Cluck , Wiz , Smudger, all stars of the east , along with Hucker ,(where has he got to ?) and of course Foghorn, all people who have their views , and power to their arms , i will defend them with my last breath to have their say , mind you when i did have my last breath a few years ago Wiz what not the one  i was thinking of.

[/quote][/quote]

You truly honour us ray!...........[:)]

Half the problem is that some just don''t get it. Right now we have the Yank gathering another coalition force...assuming the natural US "super power" status of course.....yet he still hasn''t sussed out that despite the embarrassing stalking.... ignoring him in return has become my favourite pastime! Hilarious from where I''m sitting.......if just a little sad.

The truth is...there is NO debate on this forum, only entrenched groups playing ping pong. I say my little piece...get jumped on and come back later to add some more. It would be much more interesting if it were different....but that''s the state the club is in right now. For 10 years Norwich City has become part of the celebrity circus...with "new" celebrity obsessed fans along for the ride. That''s fine and dandy....but when it has all gone tits up in Division Three....DS has departed under a cloud and the ''spin'' machine packed away for good.......the club will once again rely on the traditional "grass roots" fans to fill the empty stands.....and as usual we''ll be more than happy to do it.

The recent number of posts quoting the "Cluck" user name derogatively really only goes to prove that protectionism of all that is wrong at Carrow Road is endemic. DO carry on though guys.....if it helps divert your eyes from reality......but don''t expect me to get upset. The proper Norwich City Football Club is what I am all about....not the facade we currently "enjoy".......and when the good times do finally come back...you''ll see the difference. We''ll all be busy watching the players on the pitch ( truly representing this fine City ) rather than childishly squabbling over the status of someone who really doesn''t matter........