Sign in to follow this  
Jerzy Krukowski

Why does Delia get so much stick

when Roger Munby is Chairman, Neil Doncaster is Chief Executive and she is a majority shareholder with her husband? I didn''t like her "lets be ''avin you" much, aside from that can''t think she''s done much wrong but she takes almost all the flack on here. For all we know she may want to splash the cash but JWJ might be the prudent one. I think she gets the stick because she''s a woman (cue "political correctness gone mad" etc)

[quote user="SPat"]when Roger Munby is Chairman, Neil Doncaster is Chief Executive and she is a majority shareholder with her husband? I didn''t like her "lets be ''avin you" much, aside from that can''t think she''s done much wrong but she takes almost all the flack on here. For all we know she may want to splash the cash but JWJ might be the prudent one.

I think she gets the stick because she''s a woman (cue "political correctness gone mad" etc)
[/quote]

It beats me too Spat !    The Smiths are husband and wife  , they do finance ,  never , I repeat, never  , have they claimed to be football experts  !!    they didn`t make money by being stupid ,  so they leave the running of the club to  the board  and the manager , the appointment of the manager   was done mainly by the board  , with advice from Stringer .

The harrassment of Delia  by some posters  really gets up my nose !    I wonder sometimes  if they are  just outright  women haters .. LOL    they continue to harp on about the " Lets be avin you "  bit  .... ad nausium  ,  like they , or their relatives / friends   NEVER  get a bit sloshed  , and  do anything daft  .     Let he without sin cast the first stone  .........  [:D]

because she is a celeb and celebs are there to be abused! I personally don''t think it is fair, afterall, without her I could never cook the perfect egg!

I don''t think she deserves abuse - after all she doesn''t claim to be a football expert, and she and Michael have done a huge amount for the club financially.  It''s not their fault they don''t have Abramovitch''s bank balance!

However, she really got up my nose with her "little Norwich" remark a couple of seasons back. 

It sounded smug - as if she is quite happy to let our club remain small, cute, a bit of a joke and out on a limb far away from the bigtime.  She was tackled about it at a forum in Diss last season - and looked puzzled that anyone could have found her description of our club at all offensive!

[quote user="SPat"]when Roger Munby is Chairman, Neil Doncaster is Chief Executive and she is a majority shareholder with her husband? I didn''t like her "lets be ''avin you" much, aside from that can''t think she''s done much wrong but she takes almost all the flack on here. For all we know she may want to splash the cash but JWJ might be the prudent one.

I think she gets the stick because she''s a woman (cue "political correctness gone mad" etc)
[/quote]

I agree - she is a woman in a mans game... unlike, say, Thatcher tho (another woman in a mans game) she is still a woman and not just a faux bloke... :)

[quote]

However, she really got up my nose with her "little Norwich" remark a couple of seasons back. 

It sounded smug - as if she is quite happy to let our club remain small, cute, a bit of a joke and out on a limb far away from the bigtime.  She was tackled about it at a forum in Diss last season - and looked puzzled that anyone could have found her description of our club at all offensive!

[/quote]

She was probably more puzzled as to why someone would feel so put out about it that they would stew on it for a year before bringing it up at a public meeting, I would imagine.

Delia does appear to get up a few poster noses on here with some long distant made remarks which never particularly bothered me in the slightest. I guess being the majority shareholders makes them fair game in some peoples minds for all the current ills at Norwich City and no doubt they do have some degree of responsibility. It’s the degree of responsibility where I would disagree with her more ardent critics.

On a day to day running of the football side of the club I suspect most  of us are unclear what their role or input is. I seem to remember her wanting to help players with their diets regime which would seem a logical step and no doubt she has a say on hiring’s and firings, but again I suspect this is done on a board level, rather than shareholding status.

In the long term the board need to look at their strategy and asses where things have stagnated and where hopeful improvements can be made. In the short term I believe we all need to roll our sleeves up and do whatever we can to stop our current slump. For me that means supporting the team vocally when I attend and that’s what I intend to do come Blackpool.

because she i the owner of the business.. Yes Munby is the chairman, but that is the only role he holds...

As Owner of the business Delia smith and MWJ are fully responsible and accountable to the businesses customers.. if a product or service is failing and the business losing money then it is up to those at the very top to rectify the sit-ee-ay-shun. which Delia and her Fella dont appear to be doing.

If she was a "sole trader" of the club she''d be bankrupt and on the streets by now.

jas :)

[quote user="SPat"]

[/quote]

Mmm you''ve got me thinking there SPat........

Cue floaty dream like music as the screen mists up and then clears to reveal two retired army majors relaxing in a Norfolk gentlemans club. We''ll call them Chuck and Waz shall we.

Chuck : Morning Waz, how the devil are you.

Waz : Fine thanks Chuck my boy, how are you.

Chuck : Furious. I can''t believe that woman is still in charge at Carrow Road. If she were a man she would have been sacked years ago. It''s political correctness gone mad you know. Flaming equality, next thing you know they''ll be letting gays into the army.

Waz : Erm let''s leave that one shall we. I can''t believe that some people on that Pink Un board are accusing critics of that woman of being misogynist.

Chuck : A sodomist how dare you! I''ve told you before, I''ll have none of that on my watch!

Waz : No, a misogynist. It means you hate women.

Chuck : Ridiculous. How could I hate women, my mum''s one. It''s political correctness gone mad! Pass me the Telegraph old boy, there''s a story about a football club giving some player who once fired a paintball at somebody a second chance. It''s an outrage, they should lock him up and throw away the key! Next they''ll be giving him fancy gadgets if he promises not to break the law again, you know video cameras and the like.

Waz : Erm I''m not sure that''s such a good idea Chuck.

Chuck : Mark my words it''ll happen, it''s political correctness gone mad! This country''s going to the dogs, if things don''t improve I''m leaving.

Waz : Where will you go Chuck?

Chuck : Plenty of choice Waz old boy. I''m British, we own half of this damn planet!

Waz : Erm.........Let''s get back to political correctness hey Chuck, it''s gone mad hasn''t it?

[quote user="I OWN THIS CLUB"]

ob1, that is a bit sexist dont you think? Women can have jobs that are high up you know.

[/quote]

I think you''ve the wrong end of the stick... I''m agreeing with the first post - that Delia gets unjust stick because of sexism, NOT that I''m sexist and I think she deserves it! Where did you get that from!?!

The point about Thatcher was that Thatcher was very masculine and aggresive - she needed to be to survive in politics and become leader - so despite being in the "mans world" of politics, she could fight toe-to-toe, so as to speak.

Delia isn''t masculine or aggresive and therefore is considered an easy target for (in my opinion unjust and obviously sexist) criticism.

she brings alot of it in herself. its been said decisions are not down to her, what aload of rubbish. she has her say and cant see whats in front of her nose. she loves the limelight when things are ok, when its not it would be easier to hear from lord lucan.

its nout to do with her being a woman, south and chase got the same when they over stayed their welcome at least they got the hint, maybe she should.

"Chuck : Plenty of choice Waz old boy. I''m British, we own half of this damn planet!"

Shack, I think Chuck needs to be told Britain seems to be having a difficult time just holding on to Scotland.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

"Chuck : Plenty of choice Waz old boy. I''m British, we own half of this damn planet!"

Shack, I think Chuck needs to be told Britain seems to be having a difficult time just holding on to Scotland.

[/quote]

"We have them by the bagpipes old chap, and if they try to move we''ll toss their cabers..."

She like the rest of the board are there to over see the running of the club and when it goes badly wrong like now she like the rest of the board take the knocks.

Remember the one season they got it right and we got promotion (more by luck than judgment) they lapped up the applause?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

Britain IS Scotland. And England. And Wales. "Britain" is an island, regardless of political divisions - same way "America" is a continent.

The United Kindgom of Great Britain and Ireland aka United Kindom or Great Britain, on the other hand might have a "difficult time just holding on to Scotland" because it''s a political union - and not specifically an island.

*I think* :P

[quote user="ob1"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

Britain IS Scotland. And England. And Wales. "Britain" is an island, regardless of political divisions - same way "America" is a continent.

The United Kindgom of Great Britain and Ireland aka United Kindom or Great Britain, on the other hand might have a "difficult time just holding on to Scotland" because it''s a political union - and not specifically an island.

[/quote]

ob, I know that but I wonder if Chuck does?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="ob1"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m not 100% confident I do! :)

[quote user="ob1"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="ob1"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m not 100% confident I do! :)

[/quote]

ob, it''s clear that you have your BA in geography but, just to help you achieve your Masters, most of the world ( particularly the English-speaking ones you and I belong to ) do not refer to America as a continent. The continents are North America and South America.

I do not buy this "Delia gets abuse because she is a woman" rubbish. Delia takes most of the flak because she is: 1) One of the major shareholders of NCFC and 2) Rightly or wrongly she is seen as the public face of NCFC. Some of the stuff she has said in the past has been ill advised, I recognise that she has said some of these things in the heat of the moment which to me shows her passion for NCFC. I would like to pick up on a couple of things that other posters have said:

BBB - Maybe the reason that the fan waited until the forum at Diss to make his point is because he/she wanted to do it face to face and this was their first opportunity, isn`t this what these meet the fans forums are about?

Sheded - Take your point about making a fool of yourself, but how many habe done it in front of 25,000+ people and live on national TV?. The point is she had the opportunity to do it given her position/status.

I`m afraid to say that if you are in the public eye and you make ill advised statements (even if they are made with the best of intentions) these statements will have a tendency to come back and bite you in the bum, and I say this as somebody who had defended Delia and MWJ against the more vitrioloic posts in the past.

[quote]most of the world ( particularly the English-speaking ones you and I belong to ) do not refer to America as a continent[/quote]

No, they refer to America as incontinent, unable as it is to with-hold its'' soldiers, fast-food franchises, godawful music and serialised tv shows from other countries.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

I do not buy this "Delia gets abuse because she is a woman" rubbish. Delia takes most of the flak because she is: 1) One of the major shareholders of NCFC and 2) Rightly or wrongly she is seen as the public face of NCFC. Some of the stuff she has said in the past has been ill advised, I recognise that she has said some of these things in the heat of the moment which to me shows her passion for NCFC. I would like to pick up on a couple of things that other posters have said:

BBB - Maybe the reason that the fan waited until the forum at Diss to make his point is because he/she wanted to do it face to face and this was their first opportunity, isn`t this what these meet the fans forums are about?

Sheded - Take your point about making a fool of yourself, but how many habe done it in front of 25,000+ people and live on national TV?. The point is she had the opportunity to do it given her position/status.

I`m afraid to say that if you are in the public eye and you make ill advised statements (even if they are made with the best of intentions) these statements will have a tendency to come back and bite you in the bum, and I say this as somebody who had defended Delia and MWJ against the more vitrioloic posts in the past.

[/quote]

Odd when having to put forward a reason why Deliliar gets so much stick...it turns into a transparent attempt at humour by the usual squeaky suspects........[:)]

She gets stick because she is using our club to boost her own celebrity profile...while neglecting the important bit....the team.

Woman or man...I care not....but when Norwich City is so obviously hijacked by a "C" grade celebrity...becomes a laughing stock off and on the pitch....loses it''s sense of place....loses it''s credibility as a worthwhile opponent....gets so deep into debt that it can no longer compete....slides down the league to potential obscurity....sells any player worth keeping....hires budget managers who continue to fail.....wastes millions on kitchen and restaurant facilities...... sells off land assets to prop up the finances.....blows a legacy kindly left by Geoffrey Watling....creates a cynical season ticket scam to fill the stands with tut tutting squeaky family groups....AND claims she has saved NCFC from oblivion.......she deserves all of the crap she gets.....

The sooner she goes and takes her Disciples with her the better....and if half of her mother fixated fans went as well....we might get back to being something worthwhile one more........a serious football team representing the proud county Norfolk!

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

I do not buy this "Delia gets abuse

because she is a woman" rubbish. Delia takes most of the flak

because she is: 1) One of the major shareholders of NCFC and 2) Rightly

or wrongly she is seen as the public face of NCFC. Some of the stuff

she has said in the past has been ill advised, I recognise that she has

said some of these things in the heat of the moment which to me shows

her passion for NCFC. I would like to pick up on a couple of things

that other posters have said:

BBB - Maybe the reason that the fan waited until the forum at Diss

to make his point is because he/she wanted to do it face to face and

this was their first opportunity, isn`t this what these meet the

fans forums are about?

Sheded - Take your point about making a fool of yourself, but

how many habe done it in front of 25,000+ people and live on national

TV?. The point is she had the opportunity to do it given her

position/status.

I`m afraid to say that if you are in the public eye and you make ill

advised statements (even if they are made with the best of intentions)

these statements will have a tendency to come back and bite you in the

bum, and I say this as somebody who had defended Delia and MWJ against

the more vitrioloic posts in the past.

[/quote]

Take your point SoB, however she''s getting slated for a lot more than a

few ill-advised comments, people on here claiming she''s in it just for

the money and the free publicity, that she is a dictator, recently for

not speaking much (free publicity not needed anymore?) and worst of all

that she''s an Ips*** fan (insinuated by that scarf wearing incident)! I

still think she get''s far more stick than warranted (how many posts

have there ever been slagging JWJ?) and that some of it is because

she''s that "bloody woman" to quote one of our elderly board visitors.

Sheded - Take your point about making a fool of yourself, but how many habe done it in front of 25,000+ people and live on national TV?. The point is she had the opportunity to do it given her position/status.    Sons of Boadicea

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happens all the time  Boadicea  !   especially politicians  ....  two shags , prince phillip,   Blair  etc etc  ,   the question is ,  exactly what kind of people  get their poor ickle feelings hurt   when Delia   utters such  dire  stuff as , Lets be avin you " ,   or  , "  Little Norwich "  ,   ooooh   , outrageous !   gimme strength  [:D][:''(]

[quote user="Cluck"][quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

[/quote]

Odd when having to put forward a reason why Deliliar gets so much stick...it turns into a transparent attempt at humour by the usual squeaky suspects........[:)]

She gets stick because she is using our club to boost her own celebrity profile...while neglecting the important bit....the team.

Woman or man...I care not....but when Norwich City is so obviously hijacked by a "C" grade celebrity...becomes a laughing stock off and on the pitch....loses it''s sense of place....loses it''s credibility as a worthwhile opponent....gets so deep into debt that it can no longer compete....slides down the league to potential obscurity....sells any player worth keeping....hires budget managers who continue to fail.....wastes millions on kitchen and restaurant facilities...... sells off land assets to prop up the finances.....blows a legacy kindly left by Geoffrey Watling....creates a cynical season ticket scam to fill the stands with tut tutting squeaky family groups....AND claims she has saved NCFC from oblivion.......she deserves all of the crap she gets.....

The sooner she goes and takes her Disciples with her the better....and if half of her mother fixated fans went as well....we might get back to being something worthwhile one more........a serious football team representing the proud county Norfolk!

[/quote]

Delia maybe many things to you Cluck, but ''C'' list celebrity never...

Not many people are just recoginised by their Christian in media circles and she is acknowledge as a women whose recommendation can change peoples buying purchases in the culinary field at least.

You really do have some whisk to whirl with Delia. Come out of the closet Fanny Cradock...

SPat - I have a lot of respect for what Delia and MWJ have done for the club but imho she has made quite a few of ill advised comments. I personally do not believe she is in it for the money, a dictator etc and I have defended over the publicity thing. As for the Ippo fan thing, the fact of the matter is Delia has been photographed wearing an Ippo scarf albeit a piece of opportunism by an Ippo fan, and it happened way before she had anything to do with Norwich, that said she was at their civic reception following their FA Cup win so you can see why the insinuation has been made. 

Give us a bit more of your undoubted wisdom on the cynical season ticket scam, and also your views on how we should have used the land assets. Loses its sence of place is also an interesting one, a little bit of knowledge is very dangerous thing, a little bit of brain can be even worse! 

[quote]Odd when having to put forward a reason why Deliliar gets so much stick...it turns into a transparent attempt at humour by the usual squeaky suspects........[/quote]

It was a use of humour, but the humour has a serious point.  When you''re in the public eye as often as Delia Smith, and some of that public time is spent in an uncontrolled manner, i.e.not on a cookery programme but in a live interview or at a football match, then not everything that is said will be to the tastes of everyone.  People in public life sometimes make mistakes, and sometimes otherwise innocent words are twisted, and these events can hang around their necks like albatrosses. 

I find it rather sad that you forget the millions of pounds of loans and countless hours of hard work put into this club by public figures who could otherwise be having a very comfortable early retirement because you disagree with a few public statements, which have probably been subverted from their original meanings, and an emotional outburst which was ill-advised but at least showed that she cared. 

At the end of the day, they had the money at the right place and time, and cared enough to put their money and reputations on the line.  You on the other hand make cheap comments from behind a keyboard and call for their heads.  I know who I would trust more with the future of this club.

I honestly don''t know why I replied to your comment cluck - when you joined this board you were open to debate and willing to listen to other people.  Now it is patently obvious that you know best.  I am just a mother-fixated squeakie who is beyond help, after all.