Sign in to follow this  
ca

Evening News demands answers

Today the Evening News asks the 10 questions to which supporters will be demanding answers at tonight''s meeting.

1. Why did we sign just one player in the summer when it was obvious the squad was woefully short on quality?

2. As we are in the second year of parachute payments and sold Dean Ashton and Robert Green for six-figure sums, why has so little money apparently been available on new players?

3. Given the club has only has one major “saleable asset” in Robert Earnshaw, who could now be ruled out for several weeks, will the board be in a position to free up money for the manager to spend in the transfer window?

4. Peter Grant has hinted that a major reshuffle is needed. But can this be done when we have 13 players out of contract in the summer, none of whom will raise significant transfer fees?

5. Despite rules restricting the players under the age of 16 who can be recruited, some clubs have seen youth team players break through to the first team. What has happened to our youth policy?

6. Attendances at Carrow Road are among the highest in the division and rarely fall below 24,000, whatever the opposition, and we had top-flight status just two years ago. Why is it so difficult to get players to come here or clubs, such as Arsenal, to agree to loan deals?

7. Where has the passion gone from Norwich City players who earn thousands of pounds a week but many of whom don''t seem to be bothered about playing for the club?

8. Is there a long-term strategy in place as regards the club''s ambition to return to the Premiership? If so, what is it?

9. With season tickets soon up for renewal, prices up 3.6 per cent and performances on the pitch abject, why should the board expect fans to sign up for next season?

10. Fans called for the dismissal of Nigel Worthington at a packed public meeting last season. Should the board have acted sooner and installed his replacement during the summer when he could have brought in his own players?

I would be pleased to see somebody actually pose these searching questions to the board tonight.

I think the questions are fair and a good representation of the fears of the majority of supporters. Unlike some of the quasi-accusations verging on libellous that sometimes get bandied about, they get to the core of the problems without resorting to unfounded rumours. If these questions are broached I''d like to see the answers.

Most importantly, they''ve been put together by someone with the sense to ask questions that the board can answer. Many accusations are based upon footballing matters that the board have, quite rightly. kept out of and left to the manager.

You''ll be lucky. The questions will be pre-determined by Delias lackies, like something akin to the Tory Party Conference. Some old blue rinse will clear her throat and warble on with a plum in her mouth about the salmon in the sandwiches.   

After last year''s AGM I decided attending these events was a complete waste of time but if the questions printed on the front of tonight''s EN get asked it may be worth me popping along. Of course, printing the questions in the paper BEFORE the AGM gives the board plenty of time to come up with their answers...

[quote user="cityangel"]Today the Evening News asks the 10 questions to which supporters will be demanding answers at tonight''s meeting.

1. Why did we sign just one player in the summer when it was obvious the squad was woefully short on quality?

2. As we are in the second year of parachute payments and sold Dean Ashton and Robert Green for six-figure sums, why has so little money apparently been available on new players?

3. Given the club has only has one major “saleable asset” in Robert Earnshaw, who could now be ruled out for several weeks, will the board be in a position to free up money for the manager to spend in the transfer window?

4. Peter Grant has hinted that a major reshuffle is needed. But can this be done when we have 13 players out of contract in the summer, none of whom will raise significant transfer fees?

5. Despite rules restricting the players under the age of 16 who can be recruited, some clubs have seen youth team players break through to the first team. What has happened to our youth policy?

6. Attendances at Carrow Road are among the highest in the division and rarely fall below 24,000, whatever the opposition, and we had top-flight status just two years ago. Why is it so difficult to get players to come here or clubs, such as Arsenal, to agree to loan deals?

7. Where has the passion gone from Norwich City players who earn thousands of pounds a week but many of whom don''t seem to be bothered about playing for the club?

8. Is there a long-term strategy in place as regards the club''s ambition to return to the Premiership? If so, what is it?

9. With season tickets soon up for renewal, prices up 3.6 per cent and performances on the pitch abject, why should the board expect fans to sign up for next season?

10. Fans called for the dismissal of Nigel Worthington at a packed public meeting last season. Should the board have acted sooner and installed his replacement during the summer when he could have brought in his own players?[/quote]

The answers will be the following, let me just dust off my NCFC stock answers sheet:

1)  The blame will be laid with Worthington / Other Clubs / Cotteril choosing Wigan.

2) Finances in are very, very complex. 

3) Peter is happy with the funds available.

4) See 3.

5) Youth is harder these days due to only being able to recruit those who live close by.

6)  People have a poor conception of Norwich as a place mainly due to Steve Coogan.

7)  We share your pain because, we the board are fans too.

8)  Stra-tegy??  We are looking at every possible scenario to see how it would affect the finances.  Obviously the Premiership is where we want to be but we need to ensure the future viability of the club.

9)  Because we have the best fans in the world.

10)  Obviously hindsight is wonderful but we thought Nigel was taking us where we wanted to go.

Although I am joking it will be interesting to see how accurate these actually are.

We did, indeed, make many attempts to sign players in the summer-Neil Doncaster was often on the phone as late as 8:00 at night! Sadly, clubs are reluctant to sell players in the summer when they are assessing their squads for thes eason ahead, and we did not want to bring in players just for the sake of it, there had to be a reason, and they had to want to come to Norwich City Football Club.

I believe Neil has explained this before? Briefly, what you have to realise is that when players are sold, the whole sum is not available straight away. Much of the fee paid depends on appearences, honours won, international recognition etc. It is also crucial to remember that we have made substantial investment in the club which has cost a lot of money, but, investment that has to be made as part of our long term strategy to get Norwich City Football Club back into the Premiership.

The Board has always backed the Manager in the transfer market and will make funds available if the right player becomes available and wants to come to Norwich City Football Club. Remember, we have already backed Peter with the signing of Chris Brown who is going to excite a lot of people. But we will not jeopardise the long term future of this club by paying what we consider to be extortinate fees and wages to players.

It could well be that some of the out of contract players are happy to stay at Norwich City Football Club, so there is no need to panic there!

Our Youth Policy is the envy of many clubs throughout Norfolk, and, only recently, has prodiced first team players like Robert Green and Jason Shackell. We are delighted with the progress of the Academy which will continue to be fruitful and producem players for Norwich City Football Club.

First of all, can we just say that our fans are the best in the world? Thankyou. Secondly, with clubs like Arsenal, it is often difficult to get them to release players on loan when they might prefer them to go to other clubs. We have to disagree that players don''t want to come here on loan-when they see the facilities at Colney, the restaurant, and how lovely a City Norwich is, many of them often admit that they would have joined us had the other club not also made an offer.

Neil assures me that the players are desperate to play for Norwich City and take a great pride in telling him so when thy pick up their wages and bonuses every month.

Yes. Our rightful place IS in the Premiership and we shall do whatever we can to ensure that we get there again, but we shall not do so at the long term risk of Norwich City Football Club PLC. Prudence with prudence is our motto and we are sure that many of the clubs supporters agree with that.

Can we just say that our fans are the best in the world? Thankyou! The actual increase of the season tickets, in real terms, has actually gone down whilst the waiting list has grown. We are sure that Carrow Road will be packed out next season, especially as there maybe lots of new clubs that we haven''t seen before coming to play us.

10. Fans called for the dismissal of Nigel Worthington at a packed public meeting last season. Should the board have acted sooner and installed his replacement during the summer when he could have brought in his own players?

The Board has full faith in Nigel and will continue to do so-we believe he is the best man to take us back to the...sorry, oh yes, sorry...that Peter will get us back to the Premiership where we deserve to be. It was sad to see Nigel go and we wish him all the best for the future. He was a lovely man who got us promoted and to a play off final.

Surely the board have answered some of those questions over the last few months. It would be interesting to hear the answer to No.7 though!

[quote user="charlies dad"]You''ll be lucky. The questions will be pre-determined by Delias lackies, like something akin to the Tory Party Conference. Some old blue rinse will clear her throat and warble on with a plum in her mouth about the salmon in the sandwiches.   [/quote]

Quite right. I got the impression last year that the whole thing was stage managed and key questioners were identified by the chairman beforehand, and he selected them out as he knew they wouldnt be controversial. I am expecting that again.

None of the answers to those questions will be anything that fans want to hear, especially the tailor-made answers adorned with b _ llshit to keep us quiet, and anyone who is sound of mind and not totally gullible should''ve learned by now not to be sucked in by the boards relentless c _ _ p.

Of course the ol'' cliches will be in abundance, well here''s just one for them on behalf of thousands of discerning NCFC fans :-  ''ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS!''

You know the rest....

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"]After last year''s AGM I decided attending these events was a complete waste of time but if the questions printed on the front of tonight''s EN get asked it may be worth me popping along. Of course, printing the questions in the paper BEFORE the AGM gives the board plenty of time to come up with their answers...[/quote]

Is that not a good thing Pete? I''d have thought a comprehensive answer is more acceptable than something ''off the cuff''

We can all guess at the answers and probably not be far away from what they probably are!

As I said, the Board have answered some of those questions over the last few months. For instance, I''m sure they answered No.10 at the press conference after the sacking of Worthy.We may not agree with the answers that they give, and we may still think they were wrong, but its not right to treat a question as unanswered until the answer agrees with the questioners point of view!

[quote user="Yellow Rages"]

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"]After last year''s AGM I decided attending these events was a complete waste of time but if the questions printed on the front of tonight''s EN get asked it may be worth me popping along. Of course, printing the questions in the paper BEFORE the AGM gives the board plenty of time to come up with their answers...[/quote]

Is that not a good thing Pete? I''d have thought a comprehensive answer is more acceptable than something ''off the cuff''

[/quote]

Not really, it gives them time to make up a story.

[quote user="Canary02"]

I think the questions are fair and a good representation of the fears of the majority of supporters. Unlike some of the quasi-accusations verging on libellous that sometimes get bandied about, they get to the core of the problems without resorting to unfounded rumours. If these questions are broached I''d like to see the answers.

Most importantly, they''ve been put together by someone with the sense to ask questions that the board can answer. Many accusations are based upon footballing matters that the board have, quite rightly. kept out of and left to the manager.

[/quote]

So why don''t Delia, MWJ''s & Co get on with answering them then instead of running for cover from the EDP/Pink UN.

If this board were so open and honest (as they claim) then they would be able to answer an questions posed to them by the local journalists there and then on the spot!!!  [N]  [:@]

[quote]If this board were so open and honest (as they claim) then they would be able to answer an questions posed to them by the local journalists there and then on the spot!!!  [/quote]

I suspect that they haven''t yet had the opportunity to reply, what with the AGM not having started yet, unless of course there''s an email from the club to the EEN which won''t be published until tomorrow ?

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]If this board were so open and honest (as they claim) then they would be able to answer an questions posed to them by the local journalists there and then on the spot!!!  [/quote]

I suspect that they haven''t yet had the opportunity to reply, what with the AGM not having started yet, unless of course there''s an email from the club to the EEN which won''t be published until tomorrow ?

[/quote]

The agm will be the usual joke froim what I have heard.  The usual suspects will be pre-chosen to ask pointless questions.  I have half a mind to go tonight just to see how easily pleased the plebs are by the usual spin with no substance responces from the inept ambitionless WEAK board.

Remember everybody, the manager at this club has NO TARGETS.  A bloody disgrace considering we are in a proffesional sport where results are everything.

The real truth

We did try to sign players but we tried to get them on the cheap, which no one was willing to sell at. 

What you have to remember that we have always been a selling club and the board always takes a healthy cut of any tranfers fees earned it was the same when chase was here at the club.

It is a great shame that Robert has been injuried and the board will have to tighten or purse strings as we were going to sell him for £4m.  As to money available we have splashed out £300k on Roberts replacement, what else do the fans want 

Unless players are going cheap or on free transfers, we will resign the players on low wages and hope that some youth players come through to become significant transfer fees

This is a concern for the board as without players coming through we are unable to sell them for big transfers to finance or high life styles.  with new rules we now have a smaller catchment area alot of it is the north sea.

simple. the loan players are on high wages and when they are on loan the club has to pay for them, we don''t want to pay them when we have players here already, sure they''re not as good but with us financing for the future, as long as we stay in the Championship we don''t care what 11 take the field.

Starts from the top and as we the board aren''t that bothered it runs all the way down to the team, remember our run in the Premiership has brought in about £40m, which we have all taken a cut and set are selves up for life.

Not really, though if we get there again that means a big windfall for us, though we are not risking the cash we got last time.  You Know we could get lucky with bargin players or the youth team, that is if we don''t sell them first which is probably more likely

3.6% I know 0.6% above inflation, but we were rubbish last season and everyone signed up again, I don''t know what the fans are moaning about you get an extra 4 games in the championship. 

10. Fans called for the dismissal of Nigel Worthington at a packed public meeting last season. Should the board have acted sooner and installed his replacement during the summer when he could have brought in his own players

to get rid of him in the summer we would have had to pay a bigger settlement figure, we only got grant in because over a 2year period he is cheaper, we only pay him a 3rd of what worthy got, that why no other managers wanted the job.

[quote user="Kathy"]

[quote user="charlies dad"]You''ll be lucky. The questions will be pre-determined by Delias lackies, like something akin to the Tory Party Conference. Some old blue rinse will clear her throat and warble on with a plum in her mouth about the salmon in the sandwiches.   [/quote]

Quite right. I got the impression last year that the whole thing was stage managed and key questioners were identified by the chairman beforehand, and he selected them out as he knew they wouldnt be controversial. I am expecting that again.

[/quote]

This is why folks like me and others are so disheartened.....What actually is the point to it all?  Why this "film production-like"charade?..... Why not simply cough for the present failures so we all know the truth.... and maybe then we can all move on?

The original news item about the 10 questions seems to have disappered. Are they somewhere else or have these been censored out?

Because the AGM is taking place as we speak. Hopefully these questions are being asked and the answers will appear online as soon as possible.

Has already finished. Some mates went and said little of any note really happened and PG gave as good as he got. Might be too late for Friday''s EDP but hopefully there should be a follow-up in the EN so it''ll be online before midday tomorrow (Friday) if so.

Glad PG stuck up for himself.. but did anyone have a go at the board.. they are the accountable ones!

they should of been made to squirm!

jas :)

[quote user="Snakepit boys"]
I was hoping someone would get home and post what happened on here!!!
[/quote]

I thought the most significant thing that happened last night was the show of hands against when the re election of Barry Skipper was put to the vote. There must have been fortyish against. I havent seen this display of rebellion since the Bob Cooper era and shows that even the normally staid shareholders are starting to become disenchanted. Ignore it at your peril board members.