Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Penalties

The reports were that Huckerby''s penalty effort today was weak. We have had this subject on the board before and I remember there being a question regarding "who is the designated penalty taker?" There was the occasion when a penalty came up when McKenzie had just joined us and I believe there was a competition between him, Holt and Roberts as to who was going to take it. Is there a designated spot kicker or is it whoever reaches for the ball first? Could have been critical today if Stoke had tied the game late.

We were lucky Stoke didnt take advantage of that poor penalty. I saw it on sky sports this morning he starts to run up and from the angle hes running you can tell all along that hes goinging ot hit it right so a ex-premire league Goalkeeper is likely to save it. Ive heard that Edworthys not a bad penalty taker but id rather have Iwan Roberts or Mulryne, like you say both were off and we only had one proper penalty taker on the pitch - and he went and screwed it up!
GREENO 4 ENGLAND!!

not sure about here yankee but i know most clubs nominate a penalty taker for the day.i wouldnt say it was a particularly weak penalty,but i think it was at a good height for de goey to save.had daz put it low i dont think he would have got down to it.its so rare for us to get a penalty at home these days.

Huckerby has yaken every penalty since he''s been here and this is the first one he''s missed. McKenzie took the penalty against Derby when Huckerby wasn''t playing.

It''s interesting watching Alan Shearer take penalties, he very rarely misses. His secret seems to be hitting the ball towards the top corner because, even if the ''keeper guesses the right way, he can''t dive sideways AND upwards.

I understand that the last city player to miss a penalty was Jim Brennan in training - the reason for the recent set to with Worthy - does this mean HUx will be ''rested'' for the next game?

OTBC

The reason jim brennan was left out and this is ONLY A RUMOUR WHICH I HEARD GOING AROUN THE LOWER BARCLAY was because apparently he was given the t shirt to wearfor the worst trainer and he got it through it on the floor told worthy wear to stick his t shirt and stormed out has anyone else heard this?

At the start of the season, Mark Rivers was the designated penalty taker.

Rumour has it Worthy thought that the five pace run up was too much for Rivers and he was likely to pull a hamstring on his jog back to the half way line !!!!

Hucks did NOT screw up that penalty take ! , but if he did ..so what ? is he now supposed NEVER to fail ?? , listen , even wonderman Becks puts them over the bar now and again ! get real , just ponder on this for a while .......... If Hucks had NOT chosen to come here , where would we be now ? I would be fascinated to hear answers to that question ...........

Probably still at Man City as he said he would never go to another first division club this season because then he might dent out promotion chances and he didn''t want to do that. Now thats over with I agree with you sheded, why is everyone complaining? we won the game didn''t we? We got 3 points, we''re still top of the table and we''re going to get promoted automatically so we won''t need penalties in the play off final at Cardiff! So quit moaning and be thankful that Hucks is playing for us and that we will(fingers crossed)be playing top flight football next season!

lets see.

Hucks misses a penalty which doesn`t end up costing us much vs all the goals he has scored and set ups for other players to score?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

If thats the worst thing we can write about him then we have nothing to worry about.

I have seen hundreds of far worse penalties hit the back of the net. Simple fact is a goalkeeper chooses which way to go and if he chooses right he has a reasonable chance of saving it. Had De Goey gone the other way the ball would have gone in and this wouldn''t even be a thread!

No, it wasn''t a fantastic penalty, but it wasn''t as bad as some would have you believe. Still wouldn''t swop our Darren for ANY first division striker.

I think we gave the game away with the position of our players around the box.If you look at the picture in the EDP from behind the goal,Mcveigh & Svensson are running in for the parry,with Francis on the left hand side.Only Leon is on the righthand side and standing.Any keeper could work out the pen was going to his left.

He is the best thing that has happened to Norwich 4 along long time...his success has gained us success..dont shoot him down...just think..he missed the penaltie.. SO WAT..but how many timeS has he been involved in the goals that have made us TOP OF THE LEAGUE...

Huckerby did not miss the penalty...the goalkeeper saved it. I always think it does the goalkeeper injustice when it says "Player Missed Penalty."

It happens from time to time, but I would have been more annoyed if Hucks had missed the goal, I think a player should at least hit the target even if the goalie does save it.