Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

Gunnys book

has anyone read it? a Great Read!!!

I have just about finished it. One or 2 things suprise me that Gunny says. 1 is that, reading between the lines, it appears he and Andy Marshall didnt get on, and 2. the generosity towards his players of Robert Chase. Particularly how well respected he was amongst the playing staff.

One thing that i wasnt shocked to read is that Martin O''Neil comes across as being a complete w*****!! a jumped up little Hitler who only seemed to care about looking good rather than the team winning.

some of the chapters when gunnys Little Daughter pass away are heart wrenching. and the account of the QPR match less than 48 hours later which he played in, i was at that match as a lad and can remember the ovation Gunny got. it makes the hairs on the back of the neck stand up when u read it!

I reccomend the book to all... Gunnys a legend and in the days of Knighthoods for Footballers who bundle one in off their Backside in a world cup game once.. Surely it isnt too much to make Gunny a Knight of the realm for all his charity work?

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

has anyone read it? a Great Read!!!

I have just about finished it. One or 2 things suprise me that Gunny says. 1 is that, reading between the lines, it appears he and Andy Marshall didnt get on, and 2. the generosity towards his players of Robert Chase. Particularly how well respected he was amongst the playing staff.

One thing that i wasnt shocked to read is that Martin O''Neil comes across as being a complete w*****!! a jumped up little Hitler who only seemed to care about looking good rather than the team winning.

some of the chapters when gunnys Little Daughter pass away are heart wrenching. and the account of the QPR match less than 48 hours later which he played in, i was at that match as a lad and can remember the ovation Gunny got. it makes the hairs on the back of the neck stand up when u read it!

I reccomend the book to all... Gunnys a legend and in the days of Knighthoods for Footballers who bundle one in off their Backside in a world cup game once.. Surely it isnt too much to make Gunny a Knight of the realm for all his charity work?

[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more Jas :) . I must get this book, a legend for the club and still with us. Remember meeting him years ago as 14/15 year old and thinking what a decent bloke (as was Gossy who was also in attendence). A gentleman :)

Thanks for posting this jas....

I haven''t read the book yet but i have got it. Gunny is a legend and our memories of him and the other legends who played for our great club will long outlive all the bickering on these boards at the moment.

A fantastic read.

On another note, I do wish that they would change the picture or him that is currently used in the program as it has a backgroud that makes it look like Gunny has rabbit ears.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Thanks for posting this jas....

I haven''t read the book yet but i have got it. Gunny is a legend and our memories of him and the other legends who played for our great club will long outlive all the bickering on these boards at the moment.

[/quote]

Well said NN!.

I like this post Jas, thanks for sharing it.

Did anyone read Iwan''s book too? Was that any good either?...

[quote user="mbncfc"]

I like this post Jas, thanks for sharing it.

Did anyone read Iwan''s book too? Was that any good either?...

[/quote]

I actually like Iwan''s book more, but both are equally good reads. I''d reccomend them both.

it was on my xmas list but never found it''s way into my stocking, I think I will do some online shopping tonight now. Cheers for the review.

I was lucky I got it for Christmas. Tonight I will be reading the Francesca chapter tonight. I know I''ll be in floods of tears! It''s a fantastic read and I feel I''ve really got to know Gunny. What a privilege to have had him play for us and what a fabulous team he played in. Great characters and great footballers. Makes you sad to think of what we had and what we lost. Mind you I still blame Chase for the state we are in. Only get to see about 10 games a season since 1989 after moving away from East Anglia. Prior to that I saw just about every home game from the early ''60''s and saw my first match in 1956 so I''ve seen some rubbish as well as some greats. I don''t think I''ve ever seen a team with less passion than the current crop. Oh for another Gunny or eleven!

its interesting to read that not one of the squad blamed Chase for what happened. Indeed Chase, despite his mismanagenemnt, always had the players best interests at heart and that was proven with the way the Club Handled Bryan when Francesca died and how Chase visited Bryan in Hospital when he broke his ankle.

I was also interested to read how the Club just fell apart for no reason under John Deehah once Gunny got Injured... I do think, after reading that Section, that Andy Marshall was the reason we went down.. he thought he was "the man" and he needed a slap... we got Gary rhodes on loan as a keeper but never played him... Deehan i think hoped Gunny would be fit to keep us up.

I loved the story about the "stomach punching" contest Gunny, Ashley ward, Gozza and Carl Bradshaw had that ended up with Gossy Breaking a rib.. and Andy Linighan running all the way back home to Cromer from the city center one night! some funny stories! Didnt know that Gunny was good mates with Robbie Williams too.. or how much time Robbie spent in Norfolk, calling it a second home...

Little bit of a shameless plug but I wrote about Gunny''s book in my blog ''Freeze-Frame'' last week.

On the Pink ''Un main page, check it out for my thoughts.

Cheers

It''s a fantastic read from a fantastic person and I enjoyed Iwans book as well.

There is a lot of doom and gloom around Carrow Road at the moment and the news of Earnies injury was a devestating blow to us all, and I would like to wish him a speedy recovery.  But one thing that we all have to remember is that people like Bryan Gunn still belong to and are an integral part of our wonderful football club and with people like this still at the club I really feel that we have a solid platform to build from. Norwich City is more than a football team, it a community full of wonderful people. From the box office staff, to the fans and to legends like Bryann Gunn and Robert fleck (who I saw at the Southend game) the club oozes a quality of people that is very hard to find these days.

Norwich City Football Club is very similar to a family or a close and strong group of friends, yes you will have to go through some hard times which we are certainly facing at the moment but you have to get through the tough times to experience the good in life. If you don''t endure the storm together then you will never get to experience the beauty of the rainbow when the storm has passed. And it will pass! The quality of people that represent NCFC  is second to none.

Lets keep believing as we have so much strength within. A club with the character of NCFC will not be down for much longer especially with all the quality people concerned.  Blackpool will be a fantastic day out for us all, lets get behind everyone involved at the Club and sing our lads to victory. A good cup run will put the smiles back on our faces.

Keep believing and remember that if you don''t have a dream then how can it come true!!

On the Ball City!!

S

As   regards Gunny`s and Iwans books they are both fantastic reads, this is not bias towards Norwich players as i recently read Mick Channons autobiography, now as we all know Mick is a bit of a character, met his 2nd wife whilst playing for us, i thought  what a great read this will be, WRONG a dreadful boring insight written terribly, guaranteed to have you asleep in minutes, even tho he played for 3 seasons with us, won the milk cup, etc Norwich gets barely a brief 3 page mention, criminal !!

Go out and buy Gunny and Iwans books u won`t be sorry !!  

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

I do think, after reading that Section, that Andy Marshall was the reason we went down..

[/quote]Funny, I blamed Marhsall for our relegation as a heartbroken 13 year old, but began to wonder in later years whether I''d been a little harsh and reactive.  By the sound of things I was right after all! Nice to know...I don''t generally read autobiographies, but with Gunny I''m tempted.  As a lad he was my very first Carrow Road legend, way before Iwan came into the frame.  I met him once at the Norwich half marathon when he was the starter, but the camera we had was broken so we never got a photo! [:(]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

I do think, after reading that Section, that Andy Marshall was the reason we went down..

[/quote]

Funny, I blamed Marhsall for our relegation as a heartbroken 13 year old, but began to wonder in later years whether I''d been a little harsh and reactive.  By the sound of things I was right after all! Nice to know...

I don''t generally read autobiographies, but with Gunny I''m tempted.  As a lad he was my very first Carrow Road legend, way before Iwan came into the frame.  I met him once at the Norwich half marathon when he was the starter, but the camera we had was broken so we never got a photo! [:(]
[/quote]

I blamed Marshall at the time too, as a 10 year old, and looking back, I still do! Think about it, we were in or hovering just under a European place when Gunny got injured, and then it was all downhill from there. Gunny was the only member of the squad we lost really, during that season, so who else can you blame? The players obviously had no confidence in Marshall. I know it''s ifs and buts of 12 years ago, but had Gunny not got injured, we would have stayed up.

And yes, you must read this book! I didn''t buy mine incidentally, I won a copy signed by the legend himself. [H]

I am not a book reader at all, have a lot not even opened but got this  for Christmas and started reading it boxing day and couldn''t put it down, a great read sad in some parts and I can imagine myself at some of the games he was talking about having been there.  Took me 2 days to read, great

All supporters should read it as a tribute to his beautiful daughter and to Gunny and his family, he is a true canary legend and still great ambassador to the club.

i have just reading gunnys book and i agree some of the chapters makes you laugh,some make you cry but the book is are great read.