Sign in to follow this  
Bernard  Futter

APPALLING DISTRIBUTION FROM THE BACK!

For a variety of reasons I have not seen any live action this season and I have been a little surprised at the negative comment directed on this Board in Adam Drury''s direction, considering when I have seen him, to be a safe if unspectacular defender.

After watching Saturday''s TV coverage, I was staggered at how poor his pass selection and accuracy was throughout the match.

Every time he took a bead on a long pass you just knew that the next shot would be a red shirt running forward with the ball!

Jason Shackell was not far behind in this department and Gary Doherty''s lumping of the ball into the stands at the merest whiff of danger was hardly Bobby Moore stuff.

Methinks the manager has asked the back four (although I exempt Jurgen Colin from the charge) to get the ball out of the danger area as soon as possible, whatever the perceived threat level.

This of course invites in the majority of cases the ball to come straight back...

Shouldn''t we be aspiring to playing through from the back when the opportunity presents itself, or was Saturday an exception?

I think at times, particularly during the second half, we kept the ball well and looked like we could alomost score at will. 

But I agree, too often Shackell, Drury and Doc seemed to lack any composure and were giving the ball straight back to Tamworth.  I hope this is something that Grant and Hunter can address on the training pitch. 

[quote user="Bernard Futter"]For a variety of reasons I have not seen any live action this season and I have been a little surprised at the negative comment directed on this Board in Adam Drury''s direction, considering when I have seen him, to be a safe if unspectacular defender. After watching Saturday''s TV coverage, I was staggered at how poor his pass selection and accuracy was throughout the match. Every time he took a bead on a long pass you just knew that the next shot would be a red shirt running forward with the ball! Jason Shackell was not far behind in this department and Gary Doherty''s lumping of the ball into the stands at the merest whiff of danger was hardly Bobby Moore stuff. Methinks the manager has asked the back four (although I exempt Jurgen Colin from the charge) to get the ball out of the danger area as soon as possible, whatever the perceived threat level. This of course invites in the majority of cases the ball to come straight back... Shouldn''t we be aspiring to playing through from the back when the opportunity presents itself, or was Saturday an exception?[/quote]

You were making a cup of tea when we scored the first goal then?

Drury was very bad, Shackell degenerated as the game went on, Doherty was not as bad but predictable, every ball to the left corner for huck to chase, can''t remember Colin - guess he was OK then. But the conditions were crap.

I''ve never rated Drury as highly as some, though in his defense he does have to contend with getting very little support from Huckerby and a CB next to him who has no positional sense whatsoever. Shacks shows little sign of improving either. Yes he''s brave I accept that, his commitment is without question, but he exposes both Drury AND Doc too often. Couple that with his extraordinary ''clearing with his instep'' habit and you have my candidate for first person to be replaced. Actually i''d replace the entire back 4.Bring Eddy back......

Why the addition of the words ''from the back''?  all season our ability to retain the ball has been poor due to poor movement up front and players inability to move a ball accurately from anything more than 5 yards.   Sat was probably better than normal but purely because of the quality of the opposition.

As far as the back is concerned both goals on sat started from Doc and shaxs long and accurate passes.

It was easy for me to see how we can struggle by simply not playing to our strengths. Saf, Earnsahw, Croft  and Huckle all thrive on swift passing on the ground. All that happened too often was a speculative hoof from the defence which as ZLF highlights worked twice but still needed poor defending to give us the chances. In return for those two successful passes we failed to control the game as much as we should have done and allowed Tamworth way too much space in the middle and easy possession. It was a job done but smacked of a lack of composure or, at best, a tactic over-reliant on DD.

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"]I''ve never rated Drury as highly as some, though in his defense he does have to contend with getting very little support from Huckerby and a CB next to him who has no positional sense whatsoever. Shacks shows little sign of improving either. Yes he''s brave I accept that, his commitment is without question, but he exposes both Drury AND Doc too often. Couple that with his extraordinary ''clearing with his instep'' habit and you have my candidate for first person to be replaced. Actually i''d replace the entire back 4.Bring Eddy back......[/quote]just think of the man hours that would go into that!

I have been harbouring doubt''s about Drury and Colin for some time now. Saturdays match highlighted just how bad their passing is. Against such lowly opposition they gave the ball away time and time again. This talk of Colin being one of our best players by some fans has always had me baffled and alas Drury limited ability in forward and offensive rolls get worse every season.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]

I have been harbouring doubt''s about Drury and Colin for some time now. Saturdays match highlighted just how bad their passing is. Against such lowly opposition they gave the ball away time and time again. This talk of Colin being one of our best players by some fans has always had me baffled and alas Drury limited ability in forward and offensive rolls get worse every season.

[/quote]

Lets face it....there isn''t one decent ball player amongst the lot of them. They won against Tamworth, which is good...but next time up against a decent side they''ll struggle once again.

It''s just hump and hope nowadays....and this is all too evident when a half decent pass gets "generous" applause. It will take more than a couple of new faces to change things I''m afraid.

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"]I''ve never rated Drury as highly as some, though in his defense he does have to contend with getting very little support from Huckerby

[/quote]

arguement doesnt wash when Defending Drury.. what help does Colin get from Croft??? none..

And Drury didnt gt any help from Hucks when we went up and coped fine then now...

its because he is the only left back at the club and therefore his place is assured weekly... get nother left back in and Adam will play like the Drury of old, its amazing what a kick u the jacksie can do

jas :)

[quote user="Cluck"][quote user="Hardhouse44"]

[/quote]

Lets face it....there isn''t one decent ball player amongst the lot of them. They won against Tamworth, which is good...but next time up against a decent side they''ll struggle once again.

It''s just hump and hope nowadays....and this is all too evident when a half decent pass gets "generous" applause. It will take more than a couple of new faces to change things I''m afraid.

[/quote]

...or even against Blackpool...  they will more than struggle!!!