Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

PLEASE GOD CAN WE HAVE AN EXPERIENCED CENTRAL DEFENDER!!!

There doesn''t seem to be any point asking PG for one since he''s already said he''s happy with what he has in that department. I hope he''s bluffing. The first thing he did when he arrived was get competition for the keeper so why not for the centre backs? With DD up front, and Flem on the way and past it, there is NONE! It speaks volumes for our squad that our best attack features a 37 year old and our best defence features, you guessed it, the same 37 year old! I can''t decide where he''s more valuable to us. Watching on telly on Saturday reminded me of seeing us on MoTD in our premiership season. I remember Hansen disecting our disjointed midfield and defence and highlighting how we kept leaving huge gaping holes for the oposition to run in to. We were at it again against Tamworth and Doherty and Shackell were hopelessly out of position every time. They play totally seperately from what i can see. The reason Dion makes such a difference is because he makes sure he and Shacks play together as a unit and i think Shacks needs that direction that Dion provides. He''s still too young, Doc included, to have a real appreciation of positional defending. It''s something that comes with experience. He can gain it by playing, but not with the Doc.So, please, GET DAVID UNSWORTH NOW, he''s available, he''s 32 and he''s just the experienced head we need in there.

Unsworth is available?

Has he already left Wigan,the club he joined last Friday (05-01-07) from Sheff Utd?   [*-)]

[quote user="djcat"]

Unsworth is available?

Has he already left Wigan,the club he joined last Friday (05-01-07) from Sheff Utd?   [*-)]

[/quote]Bu**er.Well Paul Jewell''s obviously not stupid (like me!) I will reserve judgement on PG until the end of Jan.  23 days to find a central defender Peter...

[quote user="djcat"]

Unsworth is available?

[/quote]

wouldnt suprise if he had.. remember in the 90''s when he left Aston Villa after 24 hours to sign for West ham?

jas :)

Why don''t you keep your eye on Christian Dailly for a summer purchase? He  might not be around for too many more years, but they said that about Sheringham!

You would get the Scottish captain, who is cuurently vice captain at West Ham and still a part of the WHU squad. He might even be sold on a free transfer?

Strong in the air, a good centre half, he would add great experience to your team and organize your defence, assuming that he was prepared to step down a league. With WHU buying so many new players, he may soon be surplus to requiremnts?

He''s also a cracking bloke.

p.s Grant might have some influence on the matter? 

Andy

Happyhammer/Andy

Why don''t you keep your eye on Christian Dailly for a summer purchase? He  might not be around for too many more years, but they said that about Sheringham!

You would get the Scottish captain, who is cuurently vice captain at West Ham and still a part of the WHU squad. He might even be sold on a free transfer?

Strong in the air, a good centre half, he would add great experience to your team and organize your defence, assuming that he was prepared to step down a league. With WHU buying so many new players, he may soon be surplus to requiremnts?

He''s also a cracking bloke.

p.s Grant might have some influence on the matter? 

Andy

No offence Andy...but we can locate grade II rejects from other clubs perfectly well on own thanks!........[;)]

Happyhammer/Andy

Why don''t you keep your eye on Christian Dailly for a summer purchase, assuming that he was prepared to step down a league.

No offence but have you checked your league position recently Andy? He may not have to!

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="djcat"]

Unsworth is available?

[/quote]

Bu**er.

Well Paul Jewell''s obviously not stupid (like me!) I will reserve judgement on PG until the end of Jan.
 23 days to find a central defender Peter...
[/quote]

Not to mention that Unsworth is a FULL BACK not a centre back!

I agree Happyhammer...  I would like to see Christian Dailly brought in on loan as I think that he could offer a lot of much needed experience to our defence or sit in front of them as a defensive midfielder (I would not be interested in a permanent deal though).

A better option however would be James Collins if Curbishley is willing to let him out on loan with a view to a permanent moe later on.

As I said earlier on "Waiting For Your Response Yankee" and "Grant''s Words" threads though, we also need an up and coming young centre back with plenty of potential (such as one of the players below)...

I like both of Sheff Weds centre backs...  Frankie Simek and Madjid Bougherra

Elliot Ward and Mikkel Bischoff @ Coventry I also like

Carl Fletcher @ Crystal Palace

Patrick McCarthy @ Leicester (and I still feel that Kenton could do a job for us if he was brought back and got his head right)

James Perch and Wes Morgan @ Forest

Danny Higginbotham @ Stoke (full back/centre back)

i must admit id sooner see Dion at the back then up front.. at the back he can stand there all day and get us out of trouble.. up front requires a lot of running.. and over a lot of games.. 20-25 say dions Legs might not hold out.

jas :)

a1canary

I know we don''t agree about DD because I would never play him at the back unless injuries dictated so. But you make some valid points on here about Shacks and The Doc. I think some of the criticisms of The Doc on these boards are unfair but I agree that he is not an experienced centreback or a leader in the way Malky was. In my opinion he makes mistakes although Shackell makes more. They both get caught out of position at times and both would benefit from playing beside a more experienced defender. The problem is that a more experienced defender with as much ability as these two would cost an awful lot of money even if the club they were at was willing to let them go.

I have often questioned my judgement about Doherty, there is so much bad opinion about him that I would be a fool not to wonder if I got him wrong. I watch him in games and he looks cumbersome and slow although in truth he isn''t. His body language is not that of a leader and strong centreback and because he doesn''t look confident I think fans find themselves waiting for him to make a mistake. He often appears to have his arms all over his opponents athough in fairness more times than not it is when he is being fouled. He is accused of giving away freekicks around the box but in fact other players do this far more than him. I also believe he tries to play the ball out of defence more than the others and his pass to Hux for our first goal was a gem although fans around me shouted "hoof"! I don''t believe he is the donkey that posters love to call him.

Shackell is younger and less experienced than Doherty. But he is a great prospect. The only way he can progress is by making mistakes and learning from them. If we were a big club he would be sent out on loan to make those mistakes for someone else. We don''t have that luxury so we have to be patient and let him make those mistakes for us. He is unfortunate in that he is playing for a side that is struggling and there is unrest from the fans when mistakes are made, but he is fortunate that the fans seem to take out their frustrations on other players.

I am still hopeful that Doherty and Shackell can become a good partnership at the centre of our defence, if they can and we can hold onto them then they could be around for a lot of years.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="a1canary"][quote user="djcat"]

Unsworth is available?

[/quote]Bu**er.Well Paul Jewell''s obviously not stupid (like me!) I will reserve judgement on PG until the end of Jan.  23 days to find a central defender Peter...[/quote]

Not to mention that Unsworth is a FULL BACK not a centre back!

[/quote]He can play either actually, see: http://www.premierleague.com/fapl.rac?command=forwardOnly&nextPage=enPlayerProfile&playerId=9427The fact that he can offer much needed cover on the left is only a bonus in my eyes. But he''s at Wigan now, so that''s the end of it! I just hope that Nutty is right and that the Doc and Shack can form a strong partnership but i''m not hopeful. You must have a leader there and neither of them are. Drury says in his praise of Dion that he is that character and that, very worryingly in my eyes, there aren''t any like that in the team. This has to be fixed in this transfer window. If it is, we won''t be far from being competitive and top 6 material.