Sign in to follow this  
jetstream

Croft subbed for 'showboating'

Have to say as Grants'' comments go that is one of the worst ones I have heard so far.  After standing in the rain at Tamworth surely I deserve a little entertainment.  I remember the exchanges between Collin and Croft ,backheel included, as one of the highlights of the game, and this miserable Scott subbed him so I couldn''t see anymore?! Just as well we can''t afford Ronaldo.

[quote user="Big Rons Brain"]

Have to say as Grants'' comments go that is one of the worst ones I have heard so far.  After standing in the rain at Tamworth surely I deserve a little entertainment.  I remember the exchanges between Collin and Croft ,backheel included, as one of the highlights of the game, and this miserable Scott subbed him so I couldn''t see anymore?! Just as well we can''t afford Ronaldo.

[/quote]

which Ronaldo? the goofy Fat bloke or the diving wimp? lol

jas :)

[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more! I distinctly remember that backheel to Colin through the legs of the Tamworth player that set Croft running up the wing!

Because our players tend to lack panaché its little flicks and tricks like these that we enjoy!

I agree with this completely. I don''t really understand why he said that. Croft did a backheel against QPR but presumably that was ok. And I''m not sure Chadwick is a player to shy away from flare either...

Maybe it isn''t the full story. Maybe he''s having some kind of joke. But I don''t really get it...

I think this must be some kind of joke - " I have never heard a manager come out with such rubbish "We will soon have a team deprived of any attacking flair.SACK GRANT NOW

Maybe he thought that some complacency was settling in and the back-heel was an example. Its a bit odd though because in my experience players are normaly told why they are being subbed and it seems that Crofty wasn''t aware of it being because of the backheel. To be honest Grant doesn''t seem like the kind of guy to hold those sorts of things back if he was annoyed with him.

I would say though, having seen the QPR game and the Tamworth game and am going to the Plymouth game, Croft is a little like Ronaldo last season in that his last ball into the box needs to improve drasticaly as do our set pieces. Safri is much better in the sence that you can see what he is trying to do but he needs to beat the first man!

When you have Dublin in the side you need to put in balls that beat the first two defenders! Infact one set piece summed this up against QPR. It was by the corner of their box and the by-line making it effectively a short corner. From that position the ball needs to be quick and full of pace with players throwing themselves at the 6 yard box. Instead we got a "fairy chip" that came to nothing. In those situations a ball at pace through the six yard box is always going to cause more problems than a chip. It may even ping of one of their own players into the net.

I am a Grant fan but this is weird! He emphasises that he wants the players to play without fear! hmmmmmm i think there is more to it!

If Kofte was taken off for taking the pi$$ surely Hucks should have went for giving it an "easy easy"?

interesting.....

If you read the interview properly it wasnt a case of cutting out the fancy flick etc but more a case of stamping down on anyone trying to embaress Tamworth and make them look silly. I for one support it having seen norwich on the end of such taunting when Arsenal were thrashing us at home.

[quote user="ronbol ronbol"]I think this must be some kind of joke - " I have never heard a manager come out with such rubbish "
We will soon have a team deprived of any attacking flair.

SACK GRANT NOW
[/quote]

I think maybe he does backheels because he is confident enough to do it.

Does grant not want his players to show confidence. im amazed. as i keep saying when he joined he said players would be allowed to make mistakes, what a load of bull

I must say, I''ve always founds Grant''s honesty towards players refreshing, but he''s got me on this one.  Croft was having a good game, and surely if he can be subbed for one "mistake", Carl Robinson should be relegated to Tea Lady for all his effectiveness on the pitch.  This reminds me of when Worthy had a go at Hucks for "Roy of the Rovers" stuff against Derby last season, even though he''d run the game from start to finish and had single handedly destroyed Marc Edworthy, a player who knows him inside out. Bizarre one...I was also disturbed by the subs.  I know we were 4 up and Grant wanted to shore things up, but he replaced three of the best players (Safri, Croft, Dublin) for three of the worst (Hughes, Robinson, Thorne) after which we lost all balance and composure and conceded (though admittedly it was a good goal).  Says a lot about our squad really, and something about Grant that these players are still getting games ahead of the more skillful youth...

Grant''ll be reprimanding Earnshaw for scoring an overhead kick in the six yard box next. [:P]

If Grant disapproves of a tiny bit of flair shown against non-league opposition when the match is already won, what the hell will he think and say when Huckerby nutmegs Neville against Man U in the FA Cup 5th Round? [:D] 

[quote user="UEA Canary"]If you read the interview properly it wasnt a case of cutting out the fancy flick etc but more a case of stamping down on anyone trying to embaress Tamworth and make them look silly. I for one support it having seen norwich on the end of such taunting when Arsenal were thrashing us at home.
[/quote]

God what aload of BS if you cant enjoy the game when 4-0 up when can you, Grant is a muppet, now i am

more convinced than ever we have made a ricket. 

Hmm, I can understand Grant subbing the three best players. Tamworth were highly unlikely to come back at that stage and it''s sensible to protect your three most influential players from risk of injury. Had any of them stayed on and got a serious injury, I, for one, would have been cursing Grant for not taking them off when their job was done.

I''m mystified by the justification for Croft''s substitution though and can only assume his quote has been mis-interpreted in print or he''s not explained what he means clearly enough. I can see the point above about not disrespecting the Tamworth players and fans by appearing to take the mick but specifically stating someone was subbed for attempting a fancy trick is, frankly, quite bizarre. Would a player be subbed for nutmegging an opposition player, for instance; or for attempting to lob the keeper? What about an overhead kick at goal (a la Earnie against Wolves)? All could be interpreted as ''showboating'' or taking the mick out of the opposition, yet all are valid attempts to unlock a defence or score a goal.

RE: UEA Canary

Absolute rubbish. Like Tamworth wern''t trying to make us look silly for the entire 90 minutes. Was a comment on MOTD last night about Larsen, highlighting an outrageous piece of keep em up in the box followed by a flick to the wing, saying that if you play for Manure you are expected to be a showman too.  Should apply to all footballers to some extent, we go to be entertained mainly, which is why experiences like Southend on Boxing day are so painful to endure. As an aside,  Dublin is the most entertaining player at NCFC at the moment, just watching him for 90 justifies the price, was lovely to see the Tamworth players gathering around him at the end of the game, just keen to speak to him for a second, and you could see him acknowledging them.  Several moments in a game when time freezes and he achieves a perfectly waited pass or deft headed flick, should be allowed to inspire those around him, get him a coaching role Grant!

Evil Monkey......absolutely spot on.  We were absolutely cruising like i havent seen us for ages at 4-0 up..EVERY BALL WAS ACTUALLY GOING TO A YELLOW SHIRT......WE WERE KEEPING POSSESSION......as soon as he started making changes we let one in and all of a sudden they are up the other end putting us under pressure.  Absolutely pathetic.  I wanted to go home 20 minutes from the end because i just knew it was going to happen.   Changed an enjoyable game to an absolute pain!

[quote user="ricky knight"]

[quote user="UEA Canary"]If you read the interview properly it wasnt a case of cutting out the fancy flick etc but more a case of stamping down on anyone trying to embaress Tamworth and make them look silly. I for one support it having seen norwich on the end of such taunting when Arsenal were thrashing us at home.[/quote]

God what aload of BS if you cant enjoy the game when 4-0 up when can you, Grant is a muppet, now i am

[/quote]I said nothing about enjoying the game, get your statements right before you start calling others BS.I only stated that I agreed with grant in that the team should show respect towards Tamworth by not trying to take the micky with any showboating, however I don''t believe at all that is what croft was doing. Next time you make a post that is disagreeing with someone try to do it in a respectful manner.

RE: UEA Canary

Absolute rubbish. Like Tamworth wern''t trying to make us look silly for the entire 90 minutes.

[/quote]Yes, but Tamworth''s way of making us look silly would just be playing good football and beating us or even just drawing for that matter. I was merely agreeing with grant that any attempts to humiliate Tamworth with showboating should not be tolerated. By all means I want to be entertained with good football and wins but that does not require showing off or humiliating a lower league team.

It wasnt showing off. He didnt do when they were looking stronger in the first 15minutes, so surely it was just confidence beginning to settle back into some of the players.

Look like Grants got rid of any confidence that did grow from that game. It was skill, and if we had ''the diving whimp'' in our team (christiano ronaldo) then would he have said it to him?

I agree with the general view of people that it was a very strange remark - we were leading comfortably.  However, I am more concerned about Grant´s performance on the side of the pitch.  I live in Sweden and coach at junior level and about 10 yars ago an opposing trainer asked me to move as he thought my shouting and coaching of the boys was a bit pathetic.  At first I was annoyed and embarrassed, but chewed on it for a few weeks and realised that he was right.  I have now tried to study trainers and the art of coaching in greater detail and have come to several conclusions.  One, you have to be a really shit coach if you have the players on the training ground 5 - 6 times per week and still feel compelled to scream and shout instructions at them from the "off".  Secondly, most players don´t hear anyway, and if they do they probably ignore the instructions anyway, leading to the question "why is he shouting" - answer, because it fills a need in himself to do something.  Thirdly, if one looks at those coaches or managers who are deemed "intelligent" (don´t worry, there aren´t many!), Coppell, Curbishley, Benitez, O´Neill, do they shout and scream all the time?  That doen´t mean that they cannot go to the side of the pitch occassionally and adjust things if they see fit, or cannot shout encouragement to the players when it gets close.  My advice to Grant is SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!

Statements like this make Grant look like such a fool. Lucky for Croft that he has the ability to pass the ball accurately to a team mate, while on the move, with his heal! Can Robinson, Hughes, Thorne and co. take opposition players out of the game like that? No sir.Grant''s inexperience shines through yet again.

Grant was a very "limited" player during his spell at Norwich. I was always advised that you should never ask someone to do something that you couldn''t do yourself.....and I fear some of our players may remember him well as a player. Don''t ever try to demand respect.....earn it instead........

[quote user="percyvarco"]

So is it the fans who are knocking the confidence out of our players or the manager?

[/quote]

Just my thoughts exactly Percy.

Was very disappointed reading this, i too am a Grant fan, but was suprised he said this. It was definately one of the most entertaining parts of the game, i remember shouting ''WHEYY!!'' in the living room!

Perhaps Grant will leave Croft on the bench on Saturday just to remind him who the boss is, after all he has an ideal replacement in either Robinson or Hughes.  To say Grant has a unique style of man management is putting it politely.  Still if any potential skilful / talented players were thinking of coming to Norwich in this transfer window; it should open their eyes to the sort of manager they will be playing under.

Pardew and Grant turned West Ham into one of the most creative and attacking teams in the Championship.  Grant''s also never managed a side which has been relegated, so, he is not very similar to Worthy.

I think Grant is making a very simple statement.  You play for the team or not at all.

Amazed that no-one has pointed out yet that Grant is in illustrious company.

Jose Mourinho substituted Joe Cole at least once for showboating, and dressed him down publically.

It certainly made Joe a better and more effective player.

In general, professionals do not like having the ''piss'' taken out of them by other professionals. Although, quite frankly I don''t think that this was the case in this instance. - unless it was accompanied by inappropriate body language or remarks.

OTBC

Don''t get me wrong. There''s a place for ''flicks, fannies and farts'' for example when leading Ipswich by 3 goals at Portman Road with 1 minute to go![:D]

[quote user="UEA Canary"][quote user="ricky knight"]

[quote user="UEA Canary"]If you read the interview properly it wasnt a case of cutting out the fancy flick etc but more a case of stamping down on anyone trying to embaress Tamworth and make them look silly. I for one support it having seen norwich on the end of such taunting when Arsenal were thrashing us at home.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I said nothing about enjoying the game, get your statements right before you start calling others BS.

I only stated that I agreed with grant in that the team should show respect towards Tamworth by not trying to take the micky with any showboating, however I don''t believe at all that is what croft was doing. Next time you make a post that is disagreeing with someone try to do it in a respectful manner.
[/quote]

i respectfully suggest you re-read my post the BS jibe was aimed at Mr Grant and not your good self, yes i will accept an apology. next please.