Sign in to follow this  
Ulf Ottosson

If Some Mug Offers 5 million for Earnshaw Sell!

He''s a good player one of our best but ulimately he isn''t all that I would point that his touch is often poor, he rarely if ever passes the ball, conversion rate is surprising poor and his work rate is often non existent. If a large offer comes in i.e. 5 million or over we should snap someones hand offs. Then use that money to overhaul the team (what we should have done with the Ashton cash) so a new goalie, centre back, playmaker and target man. For the rest of the season stick Hucks and Dion up top installing WLY on the left. This should be more than enough to stave off relegation - forget the playoffs you are dreaming!!

I should say that this isn''t a dig at Earnie who has been a wonderful player for us but I think that we would benefit more from the money than another year or two of Earnie.

interesting stats on ESPN Soccernet http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=5510&cc=5739

Cardiff Champ: 44 games 21 goals 112 shots

West Brom Prem 22 (21 sub) games 12 goals 71 shots

Norwich last season: 13 games 8 goals 33 shots

Norwich this season:  24 games 17 goals 118 shots

Totals 58 goals 334 shots, so round about 5.5 misses for every goal

For comparison lets take Rasiak http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=35385&cc=5739

Derby  42 games 18 Goals 123 shots

Tottenham 4(4 sub) games 0 goals  5 shots

Soton last season 12 games 4 goals 41 shots

Soton this season 24 games 16 goals  72 shots

Totals 38 goals 241 shots so round about 5 misses for every goal

obviuosly they are different types of player so it doesnt prove anything.  I think Ernies movement, pace and the way he finds space and loses his marker are his greatest attributes.  Also he has proven he can do a similar job in the premiership.

Yes he may miss chances, but Andy Cole made a career out of missing chances.  Even in a poor team Erny will get those chances and score goals.

Hucks up front has been done to death and it doesn''t work, as he always ends up drifting to the left where he gets in the way of whoever is playing left wing.

I couldn''t disagree with Ulf more. If we sell Earnie for £5M please explain how we would benefit. He''s the only player that scores goals for us on a regular basis. Without Earnie our goals will dry up and relegation must then look like a distinct possibility. I agree with the other poster that Earnie and Cole are very similar in that they miss many chances but they also score many too. You''ve got to be in it to stand a chance and Earnie has the knack of being in the right place at the right time. That instinctive ability is worth its weight in gold.

CJF, stats don''t tell everything, but I think you''re pretty close with these. The Andy Cole comment seals it...

Bellaz always missed a lot of chances too and I''d love to have him in the side...

[quote user="Baron Bludgeon 1"]I couldn''t disagree with Ulf more. If we sell Earnie for £5M please explain how we would benefit. He''s the only player that scores goals for us on a regular basis. Without Earnie our goals will dry up and relegation must then look like a distinct possibility. I agree with the other poster that Earnie and Cole are very similar in that they miss many chances but they also score many too. You''ve got to be in it to stand a chance and Earnie has the knack of being in the right place at the right time. That instinctive ability is worth its weight in gold.[/quote]

Probaby the most important decision that Alf Ramsey made when England won the World Cup in 1966 was to drop Jimmy Greaves. Why? He unbalanced the team.

Better off without Earnie?

It depends upon whether the sum of the alternatives provided with the Earny money is greater than the total of the original. This in turn depends on how confident and clever the manager is in his player replacement strategy.

I wonder if you dare, Peter Grant?

They say - who dares wins.

OTBC

Ernie may be one of the best goal poachers around, but he lacks heading ability and a fierce shot from distance, so he is not the complete striker. Added to which, while he scores lots of goals his conversion rate is not good - Robson said 1 in 5, I think.I agree with the sentiment that if we could get a good price (£5m?), we could settle agents fees and sell-on clause and perhaps clear £3.5m. this would certainly enable us to get a replacement striker (Hayter? of Bournemouth), a target man and a central midfielder. The only trouble is that Sheffield United seem to be believe that we rate Ernie at little more than £4m, and if we are left with only just over £2m, this could be more difficult. In fact the Blades site quotes Ernie and Dickson for £4.2m, I think. This must surely be more borderline.Time is running out, and to do all this re-building in the next three weeks seems to be asking a bit! My guess is that we shall find another goalkeeper, sign perhaps one more player, and otherwise depend on loans until the summer. If the youngsters go out on loan, then Thorne and McV will appear regularly on the bench, or on the pitch, and Dublin may have to play in defence.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

I think Ernies movement, pace and the way he finds space and loses his marker are his greatest attributes.  Also he has proven he can do a similar job in the premiership.

Yes he may miss chances, but Andy Cole made a career out of missing chances.  Even in a poor team Erny will get those chances and score goals.

[/quote]

That is so so spot on CJF but prepare to have these figures shot to bits with claims that he wouldn''t get in Chelseas side every week. Your comparison with Cole is a good one and if Earnie was in that Man.Uutd team it''s entirely possible he would score more goals than Cole did!

[quote user="Canary02"]Hucks up front has been done to death and it doesn''t work, as he always ends up drifting to the left where he gets in the way of whoever is playing left wing.[/quote]

BS !  whats been " done to death "  is Hucks  on the left wing !!     there isn`t a champ club in the land that   doesn`t know  where he`ll be , and  plan accordingly ...... 

Take note of the Tamworth game  , where Hucks   " drifted "  to the right   !   and scored two  and made one  ....    if  THAT indicates nothing to you  I doubt anything will !      a three pronged attack of Dion , Hucks and Earnie    just has to make sense  ....  Dion and Hucks  , in particular  , work with each other very well ....

Warnoks (sorry if spelt wrong) reluctance to spend 6mil on Nugent, shows that he would only be willing to spend 5mil tops on the pair. Knowing the board like we all do how much do you honestly think Grant would be left with after majority of it is used to probably pay of what we haven''t paid west brom for Earnshaw? If someone like Vine is going to cost £2mil a striker will set you back at least £750k - £1mil and thats looking at lower leagues. MK dons turned down a £1 mil offer for Mcleod in summer.

So even if we match Derbys £800 bid for Pearson, get one of the Crewe guys we get linked with so often, thats prob £750k so alreasy thats £1.55mil, a GK £200k £1.75mil see where im going with this guys....???? at most we could be 4 players with £2mil and thats if Grant gets that much to spend. I''m sorry to sound so defeatist but after having followed the Yellow army for 20 years I can honestly say morale is at an all time low. I spend hundreds of pounds a year travelling to the games season tickets shirts etc as many of you guys and girls do.

WE DESERVE MORE EFFORT AND PASSION FROM THE BOARD! not to say we paid this and that with the Ashton cash and parachute payments but to say "THIS IS THE YEAR THAT NCFC CHALLENGES FOR PROMOTION" not this season cause thats gone down the pan, but next year with the promise of premier league cash higher than its ever been lets go for it! of course this will never happen because we have so much debt etc etc etc and owe people money for hium him him blah blah blah.

Sorry to rant on guys but I honestly beleive that we will be victims of our own cash if we sell Earnie and the Dick for £5mil clubs will know we got cash in the pot and we will end up paying clubs over odds for players because clubs will use it to their advantage.

My leg is bleeding yellow and green blood til I die!

[quote user="sheded"]

[quote user="Canary02"]Hucks up front has been done to death and it doesn''t work, as he always ends up drifting to the left where he gets in the way of whoever is playing left wing.[/quote]

BS !  whats been " done to death "  is Hucks  on the left wing !!     there isn`t a champ club in the land that   doesn`t know  where he`ll be , and  plan accordingly ...... 

Take note of the Tamworth game  , where Hucks   " drifted "  to the right   !   and scored two  and made one  ....    if  THAT indicates nothing to you  I doubt anything will !      a three pronged attack of Dion , Hucks and Earnie    just has to make sense  ....  Dion and Hucks  , in particular  , work with each other very well ....

[/quote]

Calm down Dear, it''s only a commercial.

Hucks in a three-pronged attack is fine, but that works against us in other ways as we have bugger all in midfield, and we would in all likelihood not be able to accomodate one of our better players in Croft or Chadwick as one of the three because of their natural inclinations to play wide rather than central midfield. At the moment, when Croft and Chadwick have been out we''ve put Hughes or Robinson on the right and ended up effectively playing with 3 central midfielders, plus Hucks wide left in between and 2 up front, and that didn''t work either.

I''m not saying I have an answer to the Huckerby problem (or that Worthington or Grant had/have either), but Hucks as a central striker doesn''t work. A free role may be possible, but again, you''d be dropping Croft or Chadwick (or more likely both) to achieve it, and accomodating a midfield numpty which isn''t a great help especially as if we go behind with better players on the bench, people will be screaming for Hughes or Robinson to be replaced and for Croft, Chadwick or whoever to come on, and for the system to be changed.

I believe that the board will sell Earnshaw as soon as somebody actually offers some money for him. I think that their previous commitments to progression for City of years gone by have been so diminished by our Preniership debacle year that they really do not know what to do next. It''s not that they lack ambition, they seem to currently simply lack a strategy. This lack of focus has resulted in team failure, dithering with Nigel and now no new direction for team nor club.

They will say that the Earnshaw offer was too good, buy someone for £800kish and keep Etuhu and declare it a triumph, the mark 2 version of the selling Ashton and buying Earnshaw. For all Grant''s talk and pointing I believe that he has less power and influence than Nigel ever did and he will either be successful using cheap buys and youth driven by his undoubted enthusiasm and commitment or, more likely, next year we sell our £800k purchase for £1m or less declaring that 39 year old Dion can still hack it in Division 1.  

It''s worrying

Huckerby is a left winger, and he himself says it is his preferred position, other than against the mighty Tamworth, name a game where he has looked more effective in the centre than the left, oh and actually not drifted out left anyway!  Not sure why you are mentioning the Tamworth game as evidence - they could not mark a parked car for god sake, he could do anything he wanted!  Huckerby is not the match winner he was two years ago, so we cannot rely on this idea of him drifting around the forward line and bringing victory - it is not going to happen.

A three pronged attack with Dion, Hucks and Earnie makes no sense, and does not have feet in reality!  Dublin is only here until the end of the season, and we have not been able to get a ''holding'' forward since Iwan left, so could not guarantee it as a long term strategy.  Also, Huckerby and Earnshaw cannot head the ball or hold it up.  Also, that leave a three man midfield, when we currently get overrun with five!  And where do Croft and Chadwick - dedicated right wingers that we have all cried out for, for two years- fit into your plan??

Also, we all know Earnshaw is going, so even mentioning him in a three man forward line is pointless anyway!

I suggest never applying for a job as a football manager...

[quote user="Canary02"][quote user="sheded"]

[/quote]

Calm down Dear, it''s only a commercial.

Hucks in a three-pronged attack is fine, but that works against us in other ways as we have bugger all in midfield, and we would in all likelihood not be able to accomodate one of our better players in Croft or Chadwick as one of the three because of their natural inclinations to play wide rather than central midfield. At the moment, when Croft and Chadwick have been out we''ve put Hughes or Robinson on the right and ended up effectively playing with 3 central midfielders, plus Hucks wide left in between and 2 up front, and that didn''t work either.

I''m not saying I have an answer to the Huckerby problem (or that Worthington or Grant had/have either), but Hucks as a central striker doesn''t work. A free role may be possible, but again, you''d be dropping Croft or Chadwick (or more likely both) to achieve it, and accomodating a midfield numpty which isn''t a great help especially as if we go behind with better players on the bench, people will be screaming for Hughes or Robinson to be replaced and for Croft, Chadwick or whoever to come on, and for the system to be changed.

[/quote]

I cannot understand how preston can hold out on average gates of 15000 yet we are willing it seems to grab peoples hands off for much less for the division''s top scorer. Also where has all the dough come from for teams like derby who were skint a couple of years ago or is it there board has a bit of ambition, or speculate to accumulate mindset. either way i can see us picking up the scraps as per usual.

[quote user="JC"]

Also, we all know Earnshaw is going, so even mentioning him in a three man forward line is pointless anyway!

[/quote]

How do we all know this?

I think he could be staying.. my instinct is that he is.. but nobody knows!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="JC"]

[/quote]

How do we all know this?

I think he could be staying.. my instinct is that he is.. but nobody knows!

[/quote]

NN is right.. who knows.. if he stays then well done to him and the club.. if he goes then he is just another Chapter in NCFC''s Long history.. and we will be fine without him...

its not the end of the world if he does go.. like it wasnt when Sutton, Bellamy, Eadie and Ashton went

jas :)

So Earnshaw misses chances, does he? Show me a striker anywhere in the world who doesn''t miss chances. I''ve seen Ronaldo, Giggs and Rooney miss some sitters whilst playing for Man Utd, and I''m sure their values are considerably higher than Earnie''s. If Robert were to leave, we would certainly have a heck of a problem replacing him, and I for one would be very unhappy.

[quote user="Billy Bovine"]So Earnshaw misses chances, does he? Show me a striker anywhere in the world who doesn''t miss chances. I''ve seen Ronaldo, Giggs and Rooney miss some sitters whilst playing for Man Utd, and I''m sure their values are considerably higher than Earnie''s. If Robert were to leave, we would certainly have a heck of a problem replacing him, and I for one would be very unhappy.[/quote]

Billy you are a lovely old sweet thing , you do know what you are talking about , but if i could just tell you of player i have seen who is far better  than Earnie ,his name is Mcleod from M .C. Dons , stronger , faster, taller , what a player .believe me he is the best i have seen for years , we have no hope of getting him thanks to our crazy board , but mark my words..in 2 yrs tell me i am wrong .

Have you not remembered what our board are like? Chances are they''ll take 3mill of it, giving grant a whole 2Mill to splash out. Not too successful in that respect, eh?

[quote user="ray ducker"]

[quote user="Billy Bovine"]So Earnshaw misses chances, does he? Show me a striker anywhere in the world who doesn''t miss chances. I''ve seen Ronaldo, Giggs and Rooney miss some sitters whilst playing for Man Utd, and I''m sure their values are considerably higher than Earnie''s. If Robert were to leave, we would certainly have a heck of a problem replacing him, and I for one would be very unhappy.[/quote]

Billy you are a lovely old sweet thing , you do know what you are talking about , but if i could just tell you of player i have seen who is far better  than Earnie ,his name is Mcleod from M .C. Dons , stronger , faster, taller , what a player .believe me he is the best i have seen for years , we have no hope of getting him thanks to our crazy board , but mark my words..in 2 yrs tell me i am wrong .

[/quote]

I''d go with this ray.......Young, ambitious and unfetted by past disappointment. The sort of player I want to see at the club if we are indeed serious about moving forward.