Sign in to follow this  
Bogbrush

Martin O'Neill conspiracy theory

Is it me................... or is there some conspiracy of silence amongst football reporters and commentators regarding Martin O''Neill''s brief sojourn as Norwich manager ? Time and time again recently there has been discussion of MO''N on TV and it seemed inevitable that his time as Norwich manager would get some sort of mention but it never materialised. Also, whilst watching the Tamworth match, it was noticed by the pundits in the studio that a Tamworth supporter has a MO''N cut-out with a chef''s hat on it and I  felt sure that one of them would make reference to the fact that MO''N was indeed the Norwich manager but '' didn''t he leave 9/10 years ago Adrian ''?! Didn''t happen though. Never mind and hardly important, just thought I would mention it.

Nope, MON''s brief stint at Norwich seems to have been forever wiped from the history books. I remember them talking about him once on SSN and they were showing his management history. At the top it said Wycombe and I was expecting Norwich to be next, though it went straight onto Leicester.

Shame we never get a mention, considering it was this club that gave him his "big break" in the upper leagues. Then again, I''m sure he would have moved on anyway.

He had 2 spells here as a player too that rarely get mentioned. When people talk of the top players who played here at towards the end of their careers it''s usually Peters or Channon but not O''Neill.

If I remember rightly controversy always seemed to surround him and his transfers. He was signed by Brown in 1981 about the same time as Chris Woods but even though he inspired the team to improve we still got relegated and he had an escape clause in his contract allowing him to leave. However, we managed to sign him back from Man.City during the following season when it was rumoured that we wrote off the rest of the money they owed us for Kevin Reeves to get him. He helped inspire a late run to promotion that those of us old enough will never forget. When he left for the second time it was too Notts County and there was more controversy about the transfer and I think the fee went to a tribunal.

I loved watching him in a Norwich shirt... happy days!

And what a finish to that season it was - winning 10 out of the last 12 games and a bizarre promotion day defeat at Hillsborough, 3 pitch invasions, a fan helping score their winner, Leicester only drawing and up we went!!

What odds the same rush to the play-offs this season??!!