Sign in to follow this  
bigbear

starting strikers against Plymouth?

From the looks of the papers, it seems that Earny might be injured and out of tomorrows game.  If that is the case, do we put Brown up there with DD?  He will have to be put in at some point, but playing alongside another target man might not be wot Grant had in mind when he 1st signed him.  If they do play together, then we need Croft and Hucks to be on top crossing form, with the height and strength that those 2 possess.  Or would we go with DD up front by himself or with Hucks, because Thorne will probably be still out.  Maybe McVeigh, or even bring in Chris Martin.  I personally play the new boy up front with DD to see what he is like, and have Martin on the bench waiting to come on if it is all going pear-shaped.  Obviously, in an ideal world, Earny will be fit, but do we want to risk injuring him more when we have some hard games coming up as well as the cup.

If Earny is out, Grant will have to earn his money

If Earnie isn''t fit tomorrow, it will make for a very interesting team selection. Playing two ''big strikers'' together probably wouldn''t work, but who else is there? Playing Brown on his own up front on his debut would certainly be an interesting first game for him!

Dublin and Martin, I would have said Brown and Martin but them two don''t have enough games in the yellow and green. Dublin needs to start!

Not sure who to play up front if Earnie doesnt make it. It would be a shame to go back to a lone striker, especially in a home game. Maybe Brown and DD but it doesnt feel right as from the little I know about Brown they are surely in competition for the same starting place. I agree with bigbear, maybe McVeigh or Chris Martin. But then again Plymouth are a very strong and uncompromising team so we may well end up playing it long and so Dublin and Brown could be an option.

I''d play Earnie and Dublin with Brown on the bench or if Earnie isn''t fit, then play Brown and Dublin up front. If Brown''s touch is as good as Grant is suggesting then it shouldn''t be a problem playing two big men up front. With two quality wingers in Croft and Huckerby, having two tall strikers should give us more threat from open play and set pieces too which we always lack.

Either way I would have Martin on the bench - he deserves his chance and at 18 it''s about time he was blooded. We are in the situation now of having some good youngsters coming through in Spillane, Cave-Brown, Rossi Jarvis, Halliday, Eagle and Martin but none of them having any experience. Grant has said that the youngsters aren''t ready to be called upon in the first team. However the only way that they will become ready is if they''re given some exposure. At the moment it''s a viscious circle and they need to be played so if the situation does arrise when we have injuries to first team regulars they can step in to the team without problem.

If Earnie isn''t fit then I would go for DD & Hux and give young Eagle some more experience on the left - at least he can cross a decent ball every now and then. McVeigh & Brown on the bench. Wouldn''t mind seeing young Martin given a go as long he doesn''t get the Hendo treatment if he isn''t Wayne Rooney!!

If earnie is out then deon and brown upfront may work, because dublin wins the headers then brown (who says he is better with the ball to his feet than winning headers) scores the goals!, and he is going to win a few headers anyway. (hopefully) But lets just hope Earnie is fit.....