Sign in to follow this  
The Priest

Brown! From a Sunderland message board

oh dear...

I love the latest response from Viccarlton at 6:08pm today...

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=190266&page=3

Where he states...  "Personally I think Sunderland have stolen £325,000 from Norwich city"

Yet still we have the brigade who say give the poor guy a chance...  Give it 4 weeks and I am sure that we will all have the same opinion as this guy Viccarlton!!!

Somebody please help me out.

It seems to me that just about every player coming to Norwich, when his previous teams fans thought he was poor has turned out

to be poor.

With Earnie and Ashton, their previous teams fans thought we got bargains

I guess the difference between a Skoda and a Rolls Royce is NOT just the price!

I do hope Chris Brown becomes the first Norwich player in recent history to prove the fans wrong.

That says it all doesnt it.What is wrong with people on here, are they happy for us to be lumbered with players of this quality! As I said previously I will support him as he will be wearing the shirt, but for christs sake are people blind!

Some of them also claim he''s okay.

Most of them point out he can do the basics very well, which is what we need.

FFS. Why not give him a chance? Stop fucking moaning all the time, its tiresome for alot of people

Wiz - atleast I get a month of not being disappointed, indeed optimism. When, as you are so sure I willl be, I am disappointed, it will be difficult to be more disappointed than you are now. Thus I gain a month of positiveness with my attitude over yours.  If he does come good, even you must admit the smallest possibility of that, I still gain more happiness, more given that you will be annoy at being wrong.This way I spend more time being happy and optimistic than you do, which is better for my health.I defend this signing with the words, he cost more than 10 of Reading''s 1st team, indeed 5 or 6 put together. coupled with several other points that have been made about form not neccesarily transfering between clubs.

i no they must be blind. These are the sort of people that are just so desperate to see the good in everything and don''t wan to admit the obvious truth and that is that there isn''t even an upside to this transfer. Not one bit of silver lining!

[quote user="1st Wizard"]They won''t/arn''t listening Smudger. Only time and huge disappointment will get through to them......................albeit slowly!.[/quote]

I know Wiz...  We have already had 2 years of huge dissapointment... even releagtion and scrapping around mid-table in Div 1 next year with more dwindling resources wouldn''t wake some of these people up to the fact that the club and it''s board of directors are taking them for absolute mugs!!!

oh well... I certainly won''t be funding the likes of Chris Brown''s pay packet... would rather give any spare cash I may happen to stumble across to a lumbering 3 legged deaf mules hospice...

I think that most people, thankfully, are willing to wait and see for themselves what our new players can do whilst wearing the yellow and green, rather than slag them off incessantly before they have even turned out for us.

For me, the point is not whether he is or was any good at Sunderland, it is whether he does anything for us.  There are plenty of players who have looked crap for one side and good in others, does no one remember Peter Crouch? He was going absolutely nowhere in Villa''s reserves until we got him on loan - none of their fans rated him.  He actually scored just 4 in 15 for us, but everyone thought he was great.  This is not a dissimilar return to Brown''s 3 in 10 starts so far this season, so it is slightly odd, then, that Brown is seen as being ''pitiful'', to paraphrase.  

None of the negative posters can see into the future so they will have to wait and see along with the rest of us.  I for one hope he is successful, and it saddens me that so many people will gloat big-time if he isn''t.  Has it really come to it that people really want our signings to fail? 

you lot are part of the reason we''ve been so crap lately, no wonder nobody wants to play for our club when we have fans like you are just gonna slag them off constantly

What a crap comparison in Peter Crouch.He was already proven at previous clubs, hence why he had been subject to a number of big money moves. He wasnt cutting it for Villa but the quality was always there, hence what we saw and what he laterly did for Liverpool & England.

[quote user="Chris Meadows"]you lot are part of the reason we''ve been so crap lately, no wonder nobody wants to play for our club when we have fans like you are just gonna slag them off constantly[/quote]#

I hardly think that a prerequisite for potential signings is to read the Pinkun.com message boards first. Players are motivated by money, not by fans "slagging off" signings before they have even kicked a ball. And I use the term slagging off lightly, because everyone is entitled to their opinions on the guy, and these opinions have been made more rock solid going by what we have been told by fans of other clubs who have seen him play. Everyone on here wants him to do the business for City, but you can''t blame some, me definitely included, for having their doubts over this signing, what with not only a poor goals return, but his disciplinary problems too.

Yep, I thought the Crouch comparison was very fair too. From what I have read, Brown has alot to offer and the best is yet to come given the serious injury that interrupted his career. I also liked what Croft had to say based upon his personal experience of playing with Brown. Anyway, I remain open-minded and positive.

Welcome Chris Brown, enjoy your first game and ignore the moaners on here who havent seen you play yet!!

Yes footballers do read these message boards!!!

we kick-started crouch''s carear, so it is actually a good comparison. he was by no means proven, thats why he came on loan to us! hopefully brown will do just as good.

[quote user="7rew"]Wiz - atleast I get a month of not being disappointed, indeed optimism. When, as you are so sure I willl be, I am disappointed, it will be difficult to be more disappointed than you are now. Thus I gain a month of positiveness with my attitude over yours.  If he does come good, even you must admit the smallest possibility of that, I still gain more happiness, more given that you will be annoy at being wrong.

This way I spend more time being happy and optimistic than you do, which is better for my health.

I defend this signing with the words, he cost more than 10 of Reading''s 1st team, indeed 5 or 6 put together. coupled with several other points that have been made about form not neccesarily transfering between clubs.
[/quote]

so he cost more than 10 players of a mid table premiership side whos free transfers and cheap deals have reaped rewards?

How the hell can u defend a signing like that by the board!?!?

Kevin Doyle, Readings golden boy, was free from amateur Northern Irish football. and we pay half a million pounds for a nutter with an injury problem!

we aren''t we scoruing the emerald Isle for the next freebe to come good!

jas :)

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

I think that most people, thankfully, are willing to wait and see for themselves what our new players can do whilst wearing the yellow and green, rather than slag them off incessantly before they have even turned out for us.

For me, the point is not whether he is or was any good at Sunderland, it is whether he does anything for us.  There are plenty of players who have looked crap for one side and good in others, does no one remember Peter Crouch? He was going absolutely nowhere in Villa''s reserves until we got him on loan - none of their fans rated him.  He actually scored just 4 in 15 for us, but everyone thought he was great.  This is not a dissimilar return to Brown''s 3 in 10 starts so far this season, so it is slightly odd, then, that Brown is seen as being ''pitiful'', to paraphrase.  

None of the negative posters can see into the future so they will have to wait and see along with the rest of us.  I for one hope he is successful, and it saddens me that so many people will gloat big-time if he isn''t.  Has it really come to it that people really want our signings to fail? 

[/quote]

The reason no one minded Crouch coming was for 2 reasons.

1) He came from a Premiership club

2) Since then, we have had our most successful period in a decade & everyone''s expectations levels have risen!

If we''d never had the promotion season, most people would be a lot happier with this signing. I have gone from being despondent  to slightly optomistic since hearing comments from Croft, Robbo & Grant.

[quote user="cityangel"]

Welcome Chris Brown, enjoy your first game and ignore the moaners on here who havent seen you play yet!!

[/quote]

Or they employ a literate football agent to read it for them........and, also help dem wiv der maffs. [8-|]

I''ll wait before I pass judgement on Chris Brown - until after he''s got a few games under his belt, and has also given me a copy of his ''norty fillum'' and a go of his paintball gun......I then, might ask, to be his agent and drinkin'' buddy.......[:P]

Yeah thats really a great comparison Brown V''s Crouch...

Crouch while not the hit you would expect from a £6million investment at Villa was not all that bad...  6 goals in an underperforming side in 37 appearances are the only stats I can find (but the majority of these were surely made from the bench and were from a young player who had made a quick step up from reserve team football to a £6million star with the wieght of the world on his shoulders in two breif seasons).

Crouch had scored 19 goals for Portsmouth in the season prior to Villa signing him (one of the leading scorers in Div 1 that year).

Prior to this Portsmouth had signed him for £1.5million after he scored 14 goals in his first season at a struggling QPR team.

Prior to this Crouch had only made a handful of appearances and scored a handful of goals for Tottenham Reserves and some foreign club he was on loan for a short spell at.

At the end of the day Crouch was a proven striker at this level with the potential to make the grade at Premiership level prior to us signing him on loan...  as opposed to Brown who is totally unproven at this level and unwanted by a rival of City''s that should have no more than ourselves in terms of spending power and ambition...

I would say that the comparison between Crouch a few years ago and Brown now is ridiculous!!!

Totally agree, BP.

Brown may or may not turn out to be a good signing, but for chrissake lets at least watch him play for a few months here before we decide.

He is, at least, the type of forward player we need, and is also at the right age to improve. 

[quote user="7rew"]Wiz - atleast I get a month of not being disappointed, indeed optimism. When, as you are so sure I willl be, I am disappointed, it will be difficult to be more disappointed than you are now. Thus I gain a month of positiveness with my attitude over yours.  If he does come good, even you must admit the smallest possibility of that, I still gain more happiness, more given that you will be annoy at being wrong.

This way I spend more time being happy and optimistic than you do, which is better for my health.

I defend this signing with the words, he cost more than 10 of Reading''s 1st team, indeed 5 or 6 put together. coupled with several other points that have been made about form not neccesarily transfering between clubs.
[/quote]

As for all these comparisons of Reading picking up bargains and most of these people pointing at Kevin Doyle being picked up for £78,000 as a prime example...

What they fail to point out is that Kevin Doyle was voted Cork City''s top scorer and player of the season prior to Reading signing him, had scored goals against NEC Nijmegan and Nantes in the Intertoto Cup and was top scorer for the Irish Under 21 team in the Madeira Cup tournament.

Hardly a fair to show a comparison between where Kevin Doyle was at prior to Reading signing him and where Chris Brown was at prior to us foolishly putting our hand in our pocket without showing these facts too is it?

I am damn sure that Cork City were not intending to offload Kevin Doyle when Reading came knocking at the door and am sure that they all thought Reading had picked up a bargain....  as opposed to Sunderland and their fans who think that they may of well of stole the £325,000 off ourselves.

Yet another pathetic comparison by those on here who try to support every inept decison made by the board and management of this football club!!!

[quote user="Fat Barman"]I thought the Crouch comparison very fair - just how many clubs had he proven himself at prior to his loan spell with us?
[/quote]

Two clubs...  Portsmouth and QPR...  can you not read???

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

As for all these comparisons of Reading picking up bargains and most of these people pointing at Kevin Doyle being picked up for £78,000 as a prime example...

What they fail to point out is that Kevin Doyle was voted Cork City''s top scorer and player of the season prior to Reading signing him, had scored goals against NEC Nijmegan and Nantes in the Intertoto Cup and was top scorer for the Irish Under 21 team in the Madeira Cup tournament.

Hardly a fair to show a comparison between where Kevin Doyle was at prior to Reading signing him and where Chris Brown was at prior to us foolishly putting our hand in our pocket without showing these facts too is it?

I am damn sure that Cork City were not intending to offload Kevin Doyle when Reading came knocking at the door and am sure that they all thought Reading had picked up a bargain....  as opposed to Sunderland and their fans who think that they may of well of stole the £325,000 off ourselves.

Yet another pathetic comparison by those on here who try to support every inept decison made by the board and management of this football club!!!

[/quote]

This is the WHOLE point isn''t it Smudger? Doyle was a hot property and his club desperately tried to hang on to him for as long as they could....knowing that he would inevitably move on in time. Brown? A nowhere man rejected by a Championship rival.......BIG difference I''m afraid.

[quote user="Chris Meadows"]you lot are part of the reason we''ve been so crap lately, no wonder nobody wants to play for our club when we have fans like you are just gonna slag them off constantly[/quote]

Any other clubs fans in the country placed in our position would of demanded action from those in control by now...  but hey not us because that is not the Norwich way...  never has been, never will be.... 

That is why I choose to do what I do... but hey I may just be wrong and that is just my opinion... and yes I know the kind of reaction that comment will bring... but hey ho you asked for it...

If you lot are happy watching c**p then that is what will be served up to you week in week out....  what reason do the board have to do all that they can to change things???

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Fat Barman"]I thought the Crouch comparison very fair - just how many clubs had he proven himself at prior to his loan spell with us?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry FB... me getting a bit confused...  I should at least give you chance to read my post...

Apologies Sir!!!  [B]

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Fat Barman"]I thought the Crouch comparison very fair - just how many clubs had he proven himself at prior to his loan spell with us?[/quote]

[/quote]I can read and tell the time too. My question was asked 2 hours and 10 minutes before your informative post. I find it refreshing that some gullible people still believe that barmen are not only omniscient, but can read the future also [:P]. Please, don''t let me stop you from any further intelligent critique of my input. Thank you for taking the time to develop such a considered response.