Sign in to follow this  
Honest Joe

Anyone think we should have retained David Wright?

I can''t honestly say that I remember him that clearly, which does suggest that he didn''t catch the eye that much...not that r/b covers part of the pitch you are looking to concentrate on! 

Colin has looked better this season, without looking great, but it is not really a position I would be looking for much more cover in - we have Cave-Brown and Spillane who can play there, along with Flem and even Hughes - and of course we can''t forget the enigma that is MLJ, if he ever gets fit. 

Wright did well for us. Ipswich have paid around 200k for him - he would have been a good signing for us. He can play centre back as well. One that got away.

As i understand it ( and i could be wrong!!) we did attempt to sign him but they were asking around 800k which was and still would be too higher price for him. 200k is probably about WRIGHT....!!!!!

Agreed CJF, we were quoted a much higher figure last year, his price has dropped with limited appearances. Right-Back is not a real problem now, with Hughes, Cave-Brown as decent understudies to Colin, who has looked much more comfortable this year. Why do people keep forgetting that foreigners often take a year to adjust? One of my big regrets was that Helveg and Jonsson chose to leave when we were relegated (Jonsson may have been encouraged to go because of high wages) as I felt we''d be fine with them in the Champ.

He looked no better than Colin last season,  so worse than the this season colin model mk II - given given M sick note LJ record he might be ok for a squad boost at £150k

which just shows how effective the Ipswich board are at talking clubs down.. we got told 800k yet the Binnies get him for 200k.

So i imagine Sheepshanks stuck to his gun and shouted mr JJB down..

would doomcaster have done that or would he have said "oh.. ok.. thats too much! thanks anyway!"

I have to sya i would of liked us to sign Wright he looked handy!

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

which just shows how effective the Ipswich board are at talking clubs down.. we got told 800k yet the Binnies get him for 200k.

So i imagine Sheepshanks stuck to his gun and shouted mr JJB down..

would doomcaster have done that or would he have said "oh.. ok.. thats too much! thanks anyway!"

I have to sya i would of liked us to sign Wright he looked handy!

jas :)

[/quote]

And if we had signed him for £200,000 and paid him a first team wage, whose place in the squad would he have taken and when would he have played.

Using THAT club to score unsubstantiated points against the club is an all time low for me jas!

Would have been a good signing after his loan in my opinion but I don''t see where he would fit in at the moment. No better than Colin and we have MLJ for cover and Spillane coming through who can play at right back! I think £200,000 could be better spent elsewhere.