Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

The New Pele - Could Norwich Sign Him

Last night I watched a national news program in the U.S. that featured this wonderful 14 year old soccer player called Freddy Adu. Does anyone know him? He already has a professional contract for $500,000 per year with a team called DC United in the U.S. Not sure I approve of a 14 year old turning professional at that age but the story was interesting. He and his mother came to the U.S. from Ghana when Freddy was 8 or 9. His father had left the family there and Fredddy''s mother won the lottery that takes place periodically for immigrants who would like to live in the U.S. Freddy''s mother then got two jobs in the U.S working for a number of years from 6 a.m to midnight each day and made sure that Freddy had good schooling and the chance to follow his dream, which was soccer. The background story was interesting, but then I saw him play. Truly, I have not seen anything like that kind of talent since Pele was a young man. Inter-Milan tried to sign this boy when he was a little more than 10 years old with the enticement of a $750,000 signing fee. Freddy''s mother turned it down.
If the U.S. makes progress in the future this boy is THE star in coming World Cups. Now here''s the interesting bit.... Freddy has never forgotten his early days ( my word, these days are still pretty early ) playing soccer in Africa and his favourite colours are yellow and green. I think they are also the colours for Ghana. Pass this on to Nigel and Delia.

Assuming he stays fit he is an outstanding prospect - but is this all just American over hype?
Adu has impressed in the youth world cup tournaments showing he can play at the top level against much older players. He is the top paid player in the American league and also has a $1m contract with Nike.

My understanding is that at the moment he is committed to Team USA and staying America despite the interest of Europes very top clubs - Chelsea have been tracking him for months so currently City have no chance.

However by the time he is 19/20 city will be a regular in the Champs league and he will be demanding he joins us, I am sure!

OTBC

Splendid Rush - you''re right about Adu on Champ Man - he is ace. I would say Worthy''s only chance of signing him would to be get himself a copy of Champ Man.

Adu - the world''s most higly rated under 18! Whatever next? We may get promoted, but I think some City fans need a wake-up call; getting promoted (this hasn''t even happend yet) is not going to turn us into Real Madrid.

Freddy Adu - we''ve more chance of signing Freddy Krueger.

Tufnell - just in case there is any confusion my final comments about the champ league and adu wanting nay insisting on signing for city were mde with tongue firmly planted in cheek.