Sign in to follow this  
Cluck

Who we SHOULD be going for......

Ok....so we''ve got another war on our hands on this board. Why?....because there is a large element on here who can see no wrong in either PG.....Our beloved "Saviour".....or the lame under achieving donkeys on the pitch.

For me.....I don''t want to see Championship reserve team rejects being hailed as the next "great thing" to happen at this club.....I want young ambitious players on the rise rather than trouble makers needing rehabilitation. We have basically just signed a "hooligan" with potential long term knee trouble.....and yet so many are saying "give the boy a chance"....I guess you mean just like all of the other lazy sods that we''ve given a "chance" to then? Strange how we have "unloaded" certain youth players for this self same problem....i.e. Crow etc.

We need players on the rise.... players from lower league clubs who are desperate to hang on to them. Since when has anything you''ve bought been any good, knowing the shopkeeper is keen to offload it? It will either be damaged, unmanagable or faulty.....and that''s why we got him. Keane is not stupid!...........

So I say prudence my arse....it''s just another cheap option like Peter Grant himself.....and that''s what the future at this fine club holds.

Sorry Cluck, when I read the title of your thread I thought you were going to offer some constructive advice on the quality of player we should be looking for; their skills and attributes, etc, followed by some names as possible/probable options...My mistake.  I should have known better...

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Sorry Cluck, when I read the title of your thread I thought you were going to offer some constructive advice on the quality of player we should be looking for; their skills and attributes, etc, followed by some names as possible/probable options...

My mistake.  I should have known better...
[/quote]

I''m with EM, I was looking forward to reading the post from the title!

In answer to why so many people are saying "Give him a chance" it''s because this is a player Grant brought in. You''re confusing his transfer policy with Worthingtons. If Worthy had brought Brown in, we may have all joined you in condeming it as another cheap poorly-conceived option, but Grant''s buys have to be seen in a yellow shirt to be judged. I''m not overly hopeful (based on nothing more than speculation and a couple of games watched out of the corner of my eye in a pub admittedly) but I''m willing to give Brown and Grant a chance to prove my doubts wrong.

I should know better, but...Championship reserve team reject - if you mean Brown, he''s been a fairly regular starter for Roy Keane.trouble makers needing rehabilitation - one local-profile stuff-up doesn''t make anyone a troublemaker - a fresh start may be beneficial (as with some of our younger players), but I doubt any rehabilitation is called for."hooligan" - [8-)][*-)]?potential long term knee trouble - thank you, doctor, for the expert diagnosis.Since when has anything you''ve bought been any good, knowing the shopkeeper is keen to offload it? - Usually when the shopkeeper finds himself with excess stock and a limited time period to shift it! Brown was a first-teamer for Keane until this latest round of purchases.I have no idea how successful Chris Brown will be, but I wish him the best and won''t be agreeing with the knockers based on suppositions. Like any player (or manager) his performances over a decent time frame will be what he gets judged on.

[quote user="Fat Barman"]I should know better, but...

Championship reserve team reject - if you mean Brown, he''s been a fairly regular starter for Roy Keane.
trouble makers needing rehabilitation - one local-profile stuff-up doesn''t make anyone a troublemaker - a fresh start may be beneficial (as with some of our younger players), but I doubt any rehabilitation is called for.
"hooligan" - [8-)][*-)]?
potential long term knee trouble - thank you, doctor, for the expert diagnosis.
Since when has anything you''ve bought been any good, knowing the shopkeeper is keen to offload it? - Usually when the shopkeeper finds himself with excess stock and a limited time period to shift it! Brown was a first-teamer for Keane until this latest round of purchases.

I have no idea how successful Chris Brown will be, but I wish him the best and won''t be agreeing with the knockers based on suppositions. Like any player (or manager) his performances over a decent time frame will be what he gets judged on.
[/quote]

Lol FB! dont have "happy hour" in ur fine establishment or Cluck will think ur serving gnats pee!

jas :)

Up-front I would of liked to see us attempt to sign Oldham''s Chris Porter....  he is young, has 17 goals so far thi season, all the attributes we are looking for and plenty of room for further potential.

I would also of liked us to have made an offer for Scunthorpe''s Billy Sharp.

or one of the following...  Blackpool''s Scott Vernon and Keigan Parker (who we will see very up close and personal as they dispose of us in the Cup in a couple of weeks), Crewe''s Luke Varney and Nicky Maynard and we should have put a bid in for Rotherham''s Will Hoskins (before he moved to Watford last week)....  All these players would of cost £750,000 plus however (way too high for Delia''s budget).

When Earnie is sold then we should go all out to entice Forest''s Nathan Tyson to sign for us (this may take an offer of £2million or more).

Unfortunately though, yet again we are shopping in the bargain basement bucket...

Somebody on another thread pointed out that you can pick up good strikers for even cheaper than what we have spent on Chris Brown (Kevin Doyle for £78,000).  What they failed to point out however was that Kevin Doyle was voted Cork City''s player of the season prior to Reading signing him, had scored goals against NEC Nijmegan and Nantes in the Intertoto Cup and was top scorer for the Irish Under 21 team in the Madeira Cup tournament.

Hardly a fair to show a comparison between where Kevin Doyle was at prior to Reading signing him to where Chris Brown was at prior to us foolishly putting our hand in our pocket without showing these facts too is it?

I am damn sure that Cork City were not intending to offload Kevin Doyle when Reading came knocking at the door!!!

[quote user="Fat Barman"]I should know better, but...

Championship reserve team reject - if you mean Brown, he''s been a fairly regular starter for Roy Keane.
trouble makers needing rehabilitation - one local-profile stuff-up doesn''t make anyone a troublemaker - a fresh start may be beneficial (as with some of our younger players), but I doubt any rehabilitation is called for.
"hooligan" - [8-)][*-)]?
potential long term knee trouble - thank you, doctor, for the expert diagnosis.
Since when has anything you''ve bought been any good, knowing the shopkeeper is keen to offload it? - Usually when the shopkeeper finds himself with excess stock and a limited time period to shift it! Brown was a first-teamer for Keane until this latest round of purchases.

I have no idea how successful Chris Brown will be, but I wish him the best and won''t be agreeing with the knockers based on suppositions. Like any player (or manager) his performances over a decent time frame will be what he gets judged on.
[/quote]

Totally right, well said... 

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Sorry Cluck, when I read the title of your thread I thought you were going to offer some constructive advice on the quality of player we should be looking for; their skills and attributes, etc, followed by some names as possible/probable options...

[/quote]

The post deals with the realities of this signing...and not the usual hopes and dreams. What point is there in bandying about various names on a forum such as this?  Only a few interested fans read it....and so my main point remains....why are we still buying Championship cast offs rather than promising and unfetted talent? As with all clubs right now there are numerous names in the air....but they haven''t been signed. As usual...I like to deal with what is actually before me....not what might be.

So as for possible/probable options?....That''s for the birds. Looking at who we have just signed is far more relevant than ten pages of pure speculation.......

[quote user="Smudger"]

Up-front I would of liked to see us attempt to sign Oldham''s Chris Porter....  he is young, has 17 goals so far thi season, all the attributes we are looking for and plenty of room for further potential.

or one of the following...  Blackpool''s Scott Vernon and Keigan Parker (who we will see very up close and personal as they dispose of us in the Cup in a couple of weeks), Crewe''s Luke Varney and Nicky Maynard and we should have put a bid in for Rotherham''s Will Hoskins (before he moved to Watford last week)....  All these players would of cost £750,000 plus however (way too high for Delia''s budget).

When Earnie is sold then we should go all out to entice Forest''s Nathan Tyson to sign for us (this may take an offer of £2million or more).

Unfortunately though, yet again we are shopping in the bargain basement bucket...

Somebody on another thread pointed out that you can pick up good strikers for even cheaper than what we have spent on Chris Brown (Kevin Doyle for £78,000).  What they failed to point out however was that Kevin Doyle was voted Cork City''s player of the season prior to Reading signing him, had scored goals against NEC Nijmegan and Nantes in the Intertoto Cup and was top scorer for the Irish Under 21 team in the Madeira Cup tournament.

Hardly a fair to show a comparison between where Kevin Doyle was at prior to Reading signing him to where Chris Brown was at prior to us foolishly putting our hand in our pocket without showing these facts too is it?

I am damn sure that Cork City were not intending to offload Kevin Doyle when Reading came knocking at the door!!!

[/quote]

Cluck..

Do you go into a phone-box when you transform into smudger or does it just happen spontaneously?? [H]

[quote user="Cluck"]

[/quote]

The post deals with the realities of this signing...and not the usual hopes and dreams. What point is there in bandying about various names on a forum such as this?  Only a few interested fans read it....and so my main point remains....why are we still buying Championship cast offs rather than promising and unfetted talent? As with all clubs right now there are numerous names in the air....but they haven''t been signed. As usual...I like to deal with what is actually before me....not what might be.

So as for possible/probable options?....That''s for the birds. Looking at who we have just signed is far more relevant than ten pages of pure speculation.......

[/quote] Exactly - we''re not prepared to go in and pay serious money for a top quality player - we''ve got to face it that we have to pay inflated prices or we''re never going to sign truly exceptional players. We seem quite happy to quote other teams inflated prices for our players and rightly so, yet baulk when we are quoted large sums of money in return! You can''t have it both ways. £1m for Howard was over the odds but he has proved his worth at Derby and would have been a good addition. We could have had Howard at this club for the price we paid for Etuhu and Hughes - I know which I''d prefer!!

To be fair in each of the last 2 January windows we have paid serious money for the best player we could get i.e Ashton & Earnshaw.

The point about signing "reserve" players from teams our equal is well made - Etuhu, Robinson, Louis-Jean and Thorne were all a bit in and out of their teams prior to us signing them and Brown might fall into this category. The one plus point is his age. If we are signing players from other Championship teams then they should be first team players -something that we should have done last year when we were a much bigger fish. It is too late now.

We have to hope that whoever we sign is a success because we cannot afford to make 3 or 4 signings who don''t make the grade.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Cluck..

Do you go into a phone-box when you transform into smudger or does it just happen spontaneously?? [H]

[/quote]

Nutty...By being honest and direct....my thoughts and comments remain consistant....whether they are welcomed by others or not. That way I don''t have to retrace my past comments in order to avoid double standards. Sadly this is not something I feel you can do in comfort.....as I believe Worthington was very much "your man"..........

Smudger doesn''t need me to think on his behalf.....True he is slightly more brusque than me....but reading his posts minus the jaundiced eye of the Delialalalander, you may just discover some hard realities. Not comfortable for some....but blunt and to the point.

So in answer to your question...if I do go into a phone box it shows only that I have no signal on my mobile phone..........[:)]

Cluck

Your comments certainly do remain consistent, you post the same repetetive stuff whatever the situation with the club. You seem to have an issue with Delia Smith and with posters who don''t buy into your poisoned view of everything that happens at the club.

If you are suggesting that I have double standards and that I would feel uncomfortable tracing my posts back then I can assure you that''s not the case. I have always refused to be classed in any of the stupid gangs that appear on this board and I was neither a Worthy Out or KTF. However, I would feel uncomfortable if my views remained constant throughout the time Worthington was manager. Imagine chanting "we want worthy out" at the Play-off Final or indeed outside City Hall as the Championship Trophy was held aloft!

You talk of honesty and yet you know that my bugbear on here is people who make stuff up to score points against anything to do with Norwich City Football Club. I never have a problem with different points of view to my own and happily enter discussions based on facts or opinions. Surely the results and performances are bad enough without having to make stuff up to make them worse.

ARE YOU LISTENING DELILIAR?.......

I see you now suggest that Delia Smith tells lies, please elaborate, or did you make it up!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Cluck

Your comments certainly do remain consistent, you post the same repetetive stuff whatever the situation with the club. You seem to have an issue with Delia Smith and with posters who don''t buy into your poisoned view of everything that happens at the club.

If you are suggesting that I have double standards and that I would feel uncomfortable tracing my posts back then I can assure you that''s not the case. I have always refused to be classed in any of the stupid gangs that appear on this board and I was neither a Worthy Out or KTF. However, I would feel uncomfortable if my views remained constant throughout the time Worthington was manager. Imagine chanting "we want worthy out" at the Play-off Final or indeed outside City Hall as the Championship Trophy was held aloft!

You talk of honesty and yet you know that my bugbear on here is people who make stuff up to score points against anything to do with Norwich City Football Club. I never have a problem with different points of view to my own and happily enter discussions based on facts or opinions. Surely the results and performances are bad enough without having to make stuff up to make them worse.

ARE YOU LISTENING DELILIAR?.......

I see you now suggest that Delia Smith tells lies, please elaborate, or did you make it up!

[/quote]

Anger management classes can be booked at your local GP clinic Nutty.......

As one of the first "keyboard bullies" to jump on me when I originally joined this forum....you obviously still haven''t learnt that I really don''t care what is thrown at me. I''m a big boy now.....so do your worst.....

Anger management classes can be booked at you local GP clinic Nutty......

As one of the first "keyboard bullies" to jump on me when I originally joined this forum....you obviously still haven''t learnt that I really don''t care what is thrown at me. I''m a big boy now.....so do your worst.....

(apologies if you found this repetitive by the way)..........[:)]

I guess I shouldn''t have expected any other response!

This "keyboard bully stuff" won''t wash I''m afraid because you can''t just accuse every poster you have disagreements with of being a keyboard bully. If it was so then other posters would accuse them of it too! I guess you could be a "keyboard victim" if there is such a thing!

It''s not just me worked you out, Yankee has too and many others will soon catch on.

I am still quite happy to have a debate with you on here as to whether Delia tells lies but I won''t hold my breath!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

This "keyboard bully stuff" won''t wash I''m afraid because you can''t just accuse every poster you have disagreements with of being a keyboard bully. If it was so then other posters would accuse them of it too! I guess you could be a "keyboard victim" if there is such a thing!

It''s not just me worked you out, Yankee has too and many others will soon catch on.

I am still quite happy to have a debate with you on here as to whether Delia tells lies but I won''t hold my breath!

[/quote]

Is this the same Yankee that you have just demoted on another thread (boycott) because he may only be a "radio listener" rather than a real fan?.......

You and the Yank rode wild horses through newcomers on this site for years.....now you can''t. Sorry about that......[;)]

Cluck the politician strikes again......I see that once more you have failed to actually address or answer any of the very fair points that nutty raised in his posts.  In fact, you resorted to ''playground stuff'' yourself with your anger management/keyboard bullies response when challenged.  I would suggest there is a growing number of us who have worked you out.....

[quote user="Cluck"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Is this the same Yankee that you have just demoted on another thread (boycott) because he may only be a "radio listener" rather than a real fan?.......

You and the Yank rode wild horses through newcomers on this site for years.....now you can''t. Sorry about that......[;)]

[/quote]

Absolutely not! I have to watch it on the wireless at times too. You know that my problem in this respect is posters who PRETEND to go to games and PRETEND to have season tickets not to renew! I have absolutely no problem with posters who can''t attend games or even choose not to attend games.

In answer to your second point, if you look at my profile you will see I joined this site only a few weeks before you.

Now those things are cleared up would it be possible to spend a little time debating Delia''s lies?

[quote user="Cluck"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Still no answer as to the question of "When has Delia told a lie" though Cluck.

[quote user="Temp the Revelator"]Cluck the politician strikes again......I see that once more you have failed to actually address or answer any of the very fair points that nutty raised in his posts.  In fact, you resorted to ''playground stuff'' yourself with your anger management/keyboard bullies response when challenged.  I would suggest there is a growing number of us who have worked you out.....[/quote]

Funny....I thought this particular user name would turn up.....

I''m bored with this now ladies....Get a life guys and lets concentrate on the football club eh? Try as you may....you won''t ever side track me as I''ve eaten this sort of pap many times for breakfast.....and reality is a very difficult thing for you to disprove........

Cluck XXX

But you STILL haven''t attempted to answer the question - go on, cluck, be brave - stick your head above the parapet!  It will make your arguments look so much better if you actually respond to questions you know.

It won''t happen.  We''re now "keyboard bullies" because we don''t agree with his opinion... do you reckon his missus is a "steering wheel bully" when she tries to get him to ask for directions... or his landlord is a "pint-jar bully" for daring to suggest he try the new ale...As you know, most of Cluck''s posts now run thus:Cluck: Delia is a naughty girl who lies to us and is plotting our downfall so she can get tabloid headlines out of this.ANother Poster: Cluck, these are interesting accusations, with what do you back this up?Cluck: Don''t bully me or I''ll get my Dad on you!And apparently its the rest of us who resort to playground tactics...

[quote user="Cluck"]

Ok....so we''ve got another war on our hands on this board. Why?....because there is a large element on here who can see no wrong in either PG.....Our beloved "Saviour".....or the lame under achieving donkeys on the pitch.

For me.....I don''t want to see Championship reserve team rejects being hailed as the next "great thing" to happen at this club.....I want young ambitious players on the rise rather than trouble makers needing rehabilitation. We have basically just signed a "hooligan" with potential long term knee trouble.....and yet so many are saying "give the boy a chance"....I guess you mean just like all of the other lazy sods that we''ve given a "chance" to then? Strange how we have "unloaded" certain youth players for this self same problem....i.e. Crow etc.

We need players on the rise.... players from lower league clubs who are desperate to hang on to them. Since when has anything you''ve bought been any good, knowing the shopkeeper is keen to offload it? It will either be damaged, unmanagable or faulty.....and that''s why we got him. Keane is not stupid!...........

So I say prudence my arse....it''s just another cheap option like Peter Grant himself.....and that''s what the future at this fine club holds.

[/quote]

First things first. You compare signing Brown (someone with a not so squeeky clean history) to releasing the likes of "Crow etc". The obvious problem here being that two very different managers took charge over the two moves. It may well have been that Grant would have kept Crow and released Henderson instead but we will never know, all we do know is that perhaps thats a difference in that Grant is willing to work with players that are not as great behind the scenes than others.

But to that point we could do with a more combative player in our squad - someone the opposition would actually fear. But I don''t see that either with Brown.

If you had been to the game on Saturday, perhaps you did, you would have seen the impact he made coming off the bench. Then maybe you would come up with a relevent argument other than one based on his off field activities that have landed him in trouble in the past.

For example the fact that for a striker he hasnt got the greatest scoring reccord or much experience playing at this level which would be the most obvious.