Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Dickson Etuhu - Not Now, Not Ever

Of course I don''t get to see the team play ( or not ) like many of you so, when viewing the game against Tamworth, I was looking for examples of poor player attitude to go along with many of the comments I have read on this message board. I''m sure many of you can point to many examples every week but, for me, I only needed to see one small example in the Tamworth match.

It was the second half and, although Norwich were well in control of the game, Etuhu started a run into the Tamworth half on the left side. He pushed the ball a little too far ahead and gave the defender a 50/50 chance at the ball. The defender won the ball and started to move away with it. Etuhu stood FROZEN to the spot where he was dispossesed and just stood, as a spectator, and watched as the opponent started to move away and proceed into the Norwich half.

I realise there are many other examples of criticism that could be applied to other players but, if I were the manager, Dickson Etuhu''s days as a Norwich player would have ended RIGHT THERE. I realise Peter Grant had to deal with the overall in his post-match comments but it is an injustice for Etuhu to listen to the comments from Grant of the teams "professional performance" given his attitude.

[quote user="Dicky"]

Quite right, one bit of bad play from any player and they should be out....

[/quote]

the problem with Etuhu is that could have been the only bit of play from him in the whole game.  We were told when he signed that he plays one good game in six, unfortunatly it seems to be the case. [:(]

Dicky, I would expect nothing less from you than a one line distortion. It''s your stock in trade. Now put it into context. The number of fans who have made this claim of laziness regarding Etuhu is significant, and the message has been repeated time and time again, both at Preston and fans attending Norwich matches. Did you see the incident CLEARLY that I referred to. It was not a "bit of bad play".....it was a shockingly lazy reaction from a professional footballer that stood out like an eyesore on the landscape.

What a stupid comment Dicky

Etuhu has been inconsistent last season and this. Yes, he shows ''potential'', he makes a few good passes and/or tackles per game. The rest of the time he ''hides'' and/or disasppears from the game. For a player of his size/bulk he loses an awful lot of 50/50 balls too.

Exactly what Preston fans told us he was like before we signed him.

He looks better playing with Safri but he''s still not the complete box-to-box player we need.

If Sheff Utd want to buy him then great - perhaps Warnock can unlock that ''potential''. I don''t see him doing it here.

For the first six or seven games he was an early contender for player of the season but since then he has gone drastically down hill, however how much of that is to with this injury in his foot that is so bad he needs injections before the game to numb it????? Personally i dont think he should be playing if its that painfull, they wont risk Earny so why him???

I thought he was excellent at times on Saturday with a ball inside the full back to Hucks that was pinpoint, and a long curling pass to Croft equally so. Plus he got into the box ahead of Dion and McVeigh a few times and almost scored twice as a result. Looks a far better player alongside Safri.

On the other hand, his work-rate and desire are definitely questionable and I wouldn''t want him next to me in the trenches. Talented though certainly.

I have to say that I thought the team played well in general against Tamworth and it has to be pointed out that there were far more guilty players than Dickson such as Doherty who seemed to lack focus at times.

Having seen a few games this season I would say Etuhu looks far better alongside Safri - they seem to have a good understanding going on. He is strong and tackles well as well as being able to shrug players off that are trying to out-muscle him.

1 good game in six is harsh. I would say 1 game in six he stands out and puts in a man of the match performance but how many players do you know can do that week in week out, especially at this level?

[quote user="Canary02"]

I thought he was excellent at times on Saturday with a ball inside the full back to Hucks that was pinpoint, and a long curling pass to Croft equally so. Plus he got into the box ahead of Dion and McVeigh a few times and almost scored twice as a result. Looks a far better player alongside Safri.

On the other hand, his work-rate and desire are definitely questionable and I wouldn''t want him next to me in the trenches. Talented though certainly.

[/quote]

Both you and Yankee have made valid points. When he is good he is very good and when he is bad he is awful! There is no consistency whatsoever from our Dickson! The point about his injury is also a good one, he plays because obviously the manager feels he is a better option injured than Hughes is fit.

Good points chicken, the problem is when he isnt putting a man of the match appearance in he often isnt in the game at all.  If you lose the midfield battle reguarly you will nebvefr progress in this league and I beleive this has been a major problem and one of the reasons we are doing so poorly.

I think Safri allows Dickson to puch up more as he plays more forward passes, even his passes to the wings tend to go forwards, Robinson on the other hand plays far more sideways passes to full backs and the like.

My problem with Etuhu is not that he has off days, everybody does.  The problem is the off days are often of his making.  Some games things just don''t go right, shots go off target, passes go astray but in those cases you need to work harder, put yourself about, win the ball back etc etc.  Etuhu doesn''t do this, he has the ability and the physical attributes to run games in this league.  Problem is he doesn''t seem bothered enough to do this.

He is not only the person in the team who is like this either.  What Grant really needs in January (and it doesn''t matter where they play) a couple of players who can captain the side and make sure the players are getting the kick up the backside they need on the pitch.

I find myself agreeing with you CJF. Although I think it is mainly the defencive side of things that have been a problem for us this season. To begin with the midfield was not assisting in that department enough but with Safri back in the side they are looking more solid, Croft and Hux are improving with Croft covering every blade of grass on his side of the pitch on Saturday.

Shackell is good but is a bit like Drury in the sense that he is never going to be Loud or someone to organise the defence at least not at this point in his career. Dublin is far better at that which is why him and Shackell make a good pairing.

What is everybody''s problem with Etuhu? Over this season he has stood out in a poor midfield. Yes the rest of our midfield is rubbish, but as i recall the two periods of the season where we played our best conicided with him and Safri at their bests. He has been carrying an injury of some sorts for quite some time and to say he was poor against tamworth is rubbish. I swear some of you make up your opinions before the game is played. Do you expect him to run around the pitch for a whole 90 minutes not stopping once? He is not Frank Lampard and even Steven Gerrard spends half of his matches walking around doesn''t make him rubbish when he does good bits of football. People seem to forget he is not an anchor in midfield, not a holding player in midfield, not a winger. He is an attacking midfielder and only sometimes gets the opotunity to play box to box (when we play counter attack) and as i recall when we did play that style (sunderland, cardiff, west brom) he played well. Unfortuneately it seems like somebody pointed out in another thread the fans seem as fickle and silly as they claim he beloved board.

to see him run around the pitch would be nice instead of ambling halfheartedly as he currently does! for a 6 foot plus man he is too easy to shake off the ball.

The fact that he so clearly has all the atributes required of a modern day midfielder is why it so frustrating when he performs so rarely. For a man of his physique (the guy is a monster) he loses out in too many 50/50 situations. As someone else has already stated he should be absolutely bossing games in this division but in over 12 months he has barely managed to put back to back performances together. He should be a poor mans Patrick Viera sadly he is more usually a poor mans Damien Francis....

Having said that he is the only midfielder we have who seems capable of getting goals on a regular basis. We just need to find a way of motivating the guy more.

Etuhu could be, if he coul dbe arsed, a very strong midfielder. He has the build, he can score from midfield, not often but we''ve seen glimps, and he''s still reasonably young.

Unfortunately, he has no drive (in other words, a lazy cunt), which means he''s not a very good player at all.

[quote user="Dicky"]

Quite right, one bit of bad play from any player and they should be out....

[/quote]

Yes, lets stick our heads in the sand and ignore the problems going on at this club.

That has worked out well so far, poor squad and 20 million in debt with the biggest crowds in the division.