Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Only TRUE supporters go to games!.

Here comes that old chestnut again.............

See, you are typical of 90% of the most bile-filled moaners on here - wheras those of us who actually attend games tend to be a bit more philosophical and certainly more realistic.
Enjoy your Saturday afternoon moaning in front of the telly with your pipe and slippers. Leave the support to the supporters eh?

The above quote was from a poster on here (you know who you are) and it raises that old I''m a better supporer than you'' arguement.

There are quite a few fans on here who, for one reason or not, can''t make the games, I myself, have tailed off a bit since my season ticket days, but I still go when possible. But the arguement is: If you don''t go, can you be a true fan.

My simple answer is Yes, of course you can.

If you''ve bought a programme or indeed any kind of memorbilia, you are a fan...... if you just like the look of Yellow and Green............yep you''ve got it.......................you''re a fan. If you been to FCR just once in your life to support City, again, you''re a fan.

In fact, were all City supporters here, don''t let anyone try to tell you different.

Agreed?

So, all of the Man U "supporters" who live in Brighton, Yarmouth or Surrey (and don''t go to games more than once in a blue moon) are as much true supporters as the season ticket holders, are they?

Just wondered, that''s all....

I''m sick to death of this "I''m a better supporter than you" type argument that seems to always make an appearance on this board. I think its true that people who go to the majority of matches are going to be able to form a more balanced opinion of how things are going but thats obvious. It doesn''t actually mean they are better supporters though and everyone is allowed an opinion and a say, no matter how often they go to games and so on.

[quote user="Dicky"]

So, all of the Man U "supporters" who live in Brighton, Yarmouth or Surrey (and don''t go to games more than once in a blue moon) are as much true supporters as the season ticket holders, are they?

Just wondered, that''s all....

[/quote]

Stop wondering Dicky, start thinking, that''s all.

Wow, I never thought i would agree with wiz. Oh well, just goes to show anything can happen.

I know many Man U "supporters" as everyone does since 25% of all british football fans support them apparently.

The one I know from surrey is a much better supporter than the one from manchester.

I would say it doesn''t matter where you live, rather how much you care about the results.

Some of us simply cannot go for job, logistical or cost reasons...or many other reasons. I do not get to see Norwich now unless they play near Manchester, but I have supported them through thick and thin since the late 50''s (do you go that far back??) attending home and away when i was younger, with the mental and physical scars to prove it . I do not even think of supporting another team, even though I have lots of choice up here. My son supports NCFC and proud of it even though he was born elsewhere and we are 5 minutes from Old Trafford. In conclusion you do not have to go to games to be a true supporter...you have touched a raw nerve my friend...have some respect for those that for many reasons cannot go to games now but have probably attended more games in the past than you have had hot dinners.

120% agree with that wizard. What really bugs me and gets trotted out more than most is the one about how long someone''s been a fan. You know the type - "i''ve been supporting city for 20 years and i deserve to be able..." blah blah. Some posters on here haven''t been alive that long - does that make them inferior supporters? I think not! (Take note cluck!)

[quote user="whoareyou"]

You can''t beat being born with yellow and green blood though!

[/quote]Is that striped, dotted or a pale green..?Yellow in the arms, green in the legs...?

I agree completely with you wiz. What does annoy me, however, is when people take the piss for supporting norwich when they support chelsea, man U etc although they have no connection whatsoever.

I''m the mostest besterest fantasticlest superbestest dedicateredest longerest wearerist of a stringvesterist City Fan......."Scooby dooby where are you? Ding dong dippee doo, I''m up the stairs sat on the loo, what''s it got to do wiv you? Sooper dooper party pooper, I miss dear old Tommy Cooper, who''s yer Daddy saddy laddy? Fruitcake, garden rake, my favourite fish is is battered hake, footballer''s on the take, asbo neighbours keep me awake, stoppit Mello for goodness sake, you''re not a true supporter........just a fake!" Says the loyal supporters that''re true, Herby, Dicky an'' their "Crew?".......

There you see, it''s really easy to post stuff that has no substance or credibility.......but I bet you all read it![:|] 

Mello Yello (an occasional fluctuating and variable maybe sometimes indecisive true supporter).....I think!?[8-)] Wibble! an'' Spank you very much!

[quote user="a1canary"]120% agree with that wizard. What really bugs me and gets trotted out more than most is the one about how long someone''s been a fan. You know the type - "i''ve been supporting city for 20 years and i deserve to be able..." blah blah.

Some posters on here haven''t been alive that long - does that make them inferior supporters? I think not!
(Take note cluck!)
[/quote]

Totally wasted on me......(take note a1canary).......[|-)]

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

I''m the mostest besterest fantasticlest superbestest dedicateredest longerest wearerist of a stringvesterist City Fan......."Scooby dooby where are you? Ding dong dippee doo, I''m up the stairs sat on the loo, what''s it got to do wiv you? Sooper dooper party pooper, I miss dear old Tommy Cooper, who''s yer Daddy saddy laddy? Fruitcake, garden rake, my favourite fish is is battered hake, footballer''s on the take, asbo neighbours keep me awake, stoppit Mello for goodness sake, you''re not a true supporter........just a fake!" Says the loyal supporters that''re true, Herby, Dicky an'' their "Crew?".......

There you see, it''s really easy to post stuff that has no substance or credibility.......but I bet you all read it![:|] 

Mello Yello (an occasional fluctuating and variable maybe sometimes indecisive true supporter).....I think!?[8-)] Wibble! an'' Spank you very much!

[/quote]

Classic mello!

[quote user="Rasputin was a C..."]I''m sick to death of this "I''m a better supporter than you" type argument that seems to always make an appearance on this board. I think its true that people who go to the majority of matches are going to be able to form a more balanced opinion of how things are going but thats obvious. It doesn''t actually mean they are better supporters though and everyone is allowed an opinion and a say, no matter how often they go to games and so on.
[/quote]

I dont think its that obvious to be able to form a more balanced opinion if you go to games.The chances are that you will,but in no way are guaranteed.  Every single one of us has a different level of IQ,or if you like understand the game better than some may. A nuclear scientist could regualry attend carrow road but not really understand the tactical & formation needs to be able to compete in a game where as a 6 year old who lives for football like so many of us did when we were that age could probably put alot of us to shame.

Wiz - I am with you on this, I doubt very much that actually attending games makes you more philosophical!, a good friend of mine whom I attend games with and is a decent level headed sort of chap, had a ten minute rant after the Southend game, I thought he was going to burst a blood vessel or something such was his ire. He apologised to me later for his outburst, not sure why and as I told him I agreed with every word he said. XXXXL (sorry if I put an extra X) is clearly a Norwich City fan even though he lives in "Honkers", maybe he should make more of an efort to get to games!!.....

I think it''s true to say that hard core supporters go to games. Would not class myself as one who have only been to three away games this year. So for me that statement is true, as in not being a hard core supporter..

Does not mean I support the team, but it does mean I am not spending my hard earned cash. Perhaps they have some insight to the games that we did not witness. Rather than harking back to 10, 20 or 50 years ago when we went every game?

[quote user="a1canary"]120% agree with that wizard. What really bugs me and gets trotted out more than most is the one about how long someone''s been a fan. You know the type - "i''ve been supporting city for 20 years and i deserve to be able..." blah blah.

Some posters on here haven''t been alive that long - does that make them inferior supporters? I think not!
(Take note cluck!)
[/quote]

Oops...... I did post earlier that I had been a supporter for 40 years but it was a critical post to illustrate how the club has always sold their best forwards......  so I think I got away with it!!!! [;)]

This "true fans" argument is always cropping up on here Wiz. You and I both used it a couple of days ago to prove a point and then both apologised!

I go to games as often as I can because I love going to games.I give up other things to afford to go because I choose to. I don''t deserve any medals neither am I a better fan than others. Like everyone else I spend my money doing what I want the most.

What I have discovered though is that it''s impossible to get an objective view on performances from watching on the wireless, canary call and this messageboard.

[quote user="a1canary"]120% agree with that wizard. What really bugs me and gets trotted out more than most is the one about how long someone''s been a fan. You know the type - "i''ve been supporting city for 20 years and i deserve to be able..." blah blah. Some posters on here haven''t been alive that long - does that make them inferior supporters? I think not! (Take note cluck!)[/quote]The ironic thing about this is that Wizard is often the one who drops the "I''ve supported/ bankrolled City since 1925" or something equally as unimportant.Wizard, you know full well that you have tried to belittle posters on this very forum before for not being upto your ''level'' of support.  You can''t now change your tune just because people start disagreeing with you.Remember, when we post about you, its nothng personal, its just that we don''t agree with the cr*p you continue to post.Remind me who said at 10.55am that NCFC was (and i quote) "MY club" You are right that we are all ''fans'' its just that some are more qualified to comment on how well (or in your case how badly) a team/player has played.  [quote user="mellow yellow"]There you see, it''s really easy to post stuff that has no substance or credibility.......[/quote]The wizard is a master at that!

[quote user="a1canary"]120% agree with that wizard. What really bugs me and gets trotted out more than most is the one about how long someone''s been a fan. You know the type - "i''ve been supporting city for 20 years and i deserve to be able..." blah blah. Some posters on here haven''t been alive that long - does that make them inferior supporters? I think not! (Take note cluck!)[/quote]Surely the longer somebody has been watching football.... the more often they attend games, makes them far better qualified to offer opinion than somebody like myself that cant be arsed to do the six hour round trip to watch rubbish anymore.I''m still a supporter, just not as qualified to comment on certain subjects as i was when I attended most games.Not hard to grasp is it?

Agreed. However, the one thing that does bug me is how someone who doesn''t attend games bleats off about how this player is playing, and how crap this one is, how poor the manager is etc.. judged on how Neil ''sit on the fence'' Adams and co. relay the game accross the airwaves. I agree that just because a person attends, it doesn''t make them a better supporter, we all support the same club at the end of the day.

While it is acknowledged that a lot of Man U supporters have never been to Old Trafford, it doesn''t mean that people who don''t turn up regularly aren''t true supporters. i have supported Norwich my whole life, seen many games, home and away, but i haven''t been to a game this season yet and only attended 1 last season but this is purely becauseof financial constraints. if i could afford it, quite simply i would be there. maybe you will think about things a bit more in future. i also have a cousin who lives in the states who was a season ticket holder. i assume you might forgive him on the grounds that its a bit of a commute for most games!

I agree Wizard - However True Supporters do exactly that - support

They don''t spend all their time posting messages complaing about everyone from Delia to the tea ladies, OR posting messages just to be controvertial OR posting messages just to flatter their ego OR throwing a hissy fit when some one calls them by a different name OR making up problem that don''t exsist OR  hurling abuse if someone disagrees with them.

PS I only make half a dozen games a year because I run and play in a saturday team.

There''s a clear distinction between the pointless debate about who is a better supporter which will never go anywhere, and the legitimate debate about whether going to matches makes you better qualified to offer opinion.

I''m a season ticket holder, but I live in london and I don''t go much these days. that''s my choice, and I am not going to be bothered with going through my other history of supporting. It matters not to me as there are people who are probably "better" supporters and those who are "worse". Its all about degrees anyway.

What I do object to is those who offer an opinion of Andy Hughes'' performance (for instance) having read only the opinions of others, comments from the manager, press reports etc. They often don''t bother to qualify their opinion with "based on what I have read...". I have no idea how he is doing right now and it wouldn''t occur to me to comment on it because I wouldn''t have any firm basis for forming that opinion. All I know is that when I saw him earlier in the season he was struggling.

So, if you don''t go to games don''t bother commenting on what you haven''t witnessed. Its like saying the new James Bond film is great when you haven''t seen it, although you can say "I have heard it is great".

As to whether X is a better supporter than Y, I suggest some people get a life in the January sales and move on.

It''s an interesting debate and one that''s cropped up on here before I believe. For the record, I''m in agreement with Wiz (should I be worried about that!) in that you cannot judge a persons level of support for a football club solely on the basis of how many matches they attend. For instance, I had a season ticket for ten years prior to this season but gave it up due to non-footballing reasons (lack of finances and two young children in case you''re interested) but have still managed to get to about half the home games so far this season. Does that make me 50% of the supporter I was last year? I don''t think it''s that simple.

Likewise, as I get a little older (mid 30''s) I''ve found that although I still care deeply about the club I''m not quite as fanatical as I used to be. In my teens and early twenties a home defeat would put me in a foul mood for the next few days whereas now I tend to be a bit more philosophical about things. Put it this way, in days gone by I would have nodded my head in agreement with that famous old Bill Shankly quote, now I can see how ridiculous it is (I think he had his tongue planted firmly in his cheek when he said it anyway!)

But, and it''s a big but, if you come on here after a game and tell everyone how bad Doherty, Hughes, Robinson (insert name of current boo boys favourite here) having garnered your opinion from fellow posters on here, Neil Adams, the News of the World or whatever, I happen to think that your opinion is not as valid as somebody who was actually at the game.

It doesn''t mean you''re less of a supporter but I cannot see how you can come on here and slag off the performance of certain players when you haven''t seen them with your own eyes.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Here comes that old chestnut again.............

See, you are typical of 90% of the most bile-filled moaners on here - wheras those of us who actually attend games tend to be a bit more philosophical and certainly more realistic.Enjoy your Saturday afternoon moaning in front of the telly with your pipe and slippers. Leave the support to the supporters eh?

The above quote was from a poster on here (you know who you are) and it raises that old I''m a better supporer than you'' arguement.

There are quite a few fans on here who, for one reason or not, can''t make the games, I myself, have tailed off a bit since my season ticket days, but I still go when possible. But the arguement is: If you don''t go, can you be a true fan.

My simple answer is Yes, of course you can.

If you''ve bought a programme or indeed any kind of memorbilia, you are a fan...... if you just like the look of Yellow and Green............yep you''ve got it.......................you''re a fan. If you been to FCR just once in your life to support City, again, you''re a fan.

In fact, were all City supporters here, don''t let anyone try to tell you different.

Agreed?

[/quote]Funny how all the people in agreement that "you''re still a proper supporter even if you don''t go to games" are actually the people who don''t go.It''s quite a simple really:Fan A drives a 6-hour round trip for every home game. It costs him £40 in petrol & £20 for the ticket. He changes his working shifts to accomodate the football and puts out his wife and kids to make the game.Fan B listens to the game on Radio Norfolk.Fan A is a better supporter than Fan B.

[quote user="BedsCanary"]

Funny how all the people in agreement that "you''re still a proper supporter even if you don''t go to games" are actually the people who don''t go.

It''s quite a simple really:

Fan A drives a 6-hour round trip for every home game. It costs him £40 in petrol & £20 for the ticket. He changes his working shifts to accomodate the football and puts out his wife and kids to make the game.

Fan B listens to the game on Radio Norfolk.

Fan A is a better supporter than Fan B.

[/quote]

Stand by for incoming!.

Hell, if I had written this!...........................................

Is it not a case of Fan A is better placed to comment on the performance of City players than Fan B rather than being a better supporter?

[quote user="BedsCanary"]

Funny how all the people in agreement that "you''re still a proper supporter even if you don''t go to games" are actually the people who don''t go.

It''s quite a simple really:

Fan A drives a 6-hour round trip for every home game. It costs him £40 in petrol & £20 for the ticket. He changes his working shifts to accomodate the football and puts out his wife and kids to make the game.

Fan B listens to the game on Radio Norfolk.

Fan A is a better supporter than Fan B.

[/quote]

I agree and i got to as many games as i can. Fan A is in no way a better fan, he just prioritises differently. Others care for their family more, others would loose their jobs if they tried to change working shifts.

It is far to unfair to claim what you are.