Sign in to follow this  
jjohnny

Gary doherty

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Dicky"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Its a curious thing when players mistakes are picked upon,  doc and shacks have looked very good together but did make mistakes against Palace which cost us goals;   yet we should have been comfortably ahead by then had the strikers done their job and taken relatively easy chances - earnie had good chances in the games against palace QPR and Southend which have cost us possibly 5 points - where is the criticism of him?

Doc is a consistent performer who had a howler - every city player has done that this season;  however he has also performed very well at the back this season and those performances are conveniently overlooked.  He is not perfect and his game has many flaws,  but he is far from the main reason why we are in the position we are...

[/quote]

Yeah consistently c**p!!!

Anybody that rates the Doc much better than your average park footballer knows sweet FA about football...

I could do a better job at the back than the Doc...  one of the worst players ever to pull on a yellow & green shirt and almost certainly the worst CB in the last 30 years at the club!

[/quote]

How can you possibly say that with any authority, having admitted yourself that you have not been to carrow road recently?  As for being the worst CB in the last 30 years? 

[/quote]

As I pointed out earlier Dicky, The Doc has made mistakes live on TV. Posters see what they want to see anyway and sometimes I think it''s a waste of time having these discussions on here. I don''t see anybody claiming that Doherty is a great player yet I see claims that he is a donkey. Nobody has even said he is a better defender than DD although I believe there''s little in it and certainly not enough to play Dublin out of position. As ZLF rightly points out, there were more mistakes at the other end on NYD and these are conveniently overlooked.

As for worst CB in the last 30 years??? Howabout NO!!!!!

I don''t understand why certain players are singled out for an undeserved amount of criticism on here and some get away with it. IMO the player to have made the most costly mistakes this season is Gally. Now if you remove the hapless Simon Tracey from the equation he could quite possibly be the worst ''keeper in 30 years at the club!

[/quote]

I would say it is deserved criticism...

and what I do not see is why players like Safri and Dion Dublin are singled out for undeserved huge amounts of praise...

oh silly me...  of couse I see it...  because one or two good performances by these players makes them have a god like status in many fans eyes, because most of the other players we have here are oh so c**p...  that is how we end up with lumbering oafs like the Doc being voted player of the season!!!

Dion Dublin is 37 years old ffs... and while he may of put in 1 or 2 good performances at the back he is not the answer to our prayers there (and certainly isn''t at the other end of the pitch)...  the noise some fans are making anybody would think that he is our saviour and the long term future of the club.

too many people being happy with this kind of standard of player says it all about what is wrong at Carrow Road these days...

With the exception of about 6 players and possibly one or two youngsters a plan needs putting in place to move half the squad onwards....

and for me the Ginger ones name would be very close to the top of that list, if not at the very summit of it!!!

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Smudger"]

I could do a better job at the back than the Doc...  one of the worst players ever to pull on a yellow & green shirt and almost certainly the worst CB in the last 30 years at the club!

[/quote]

Considering you''re forever boasting about how you don''t go to games anymore that statement is about as credible as me coming on here and saying that Angelina Jolie''s terrible in bed!

[/quote]

The Doc has been with us 2 and a half years now...

Yeah I know I failed to notice him there too...  one of the many reasons I fail to attend nowadays is the Doc and players like him...  Players who are less gifted than myself and earning an absolute fortune.

Any body with any knowledge of football whatsoever only needs to see the Doc attempt to play once or twice to know that he just ain''t up to the job...

I have been banging on for two or thre games in to last season that the Doc and Co were utter c**p, but did anybody listen?  Hell no, I had to listen to how this squad of players was good enough to win promotion week in week out for a year or more...  before people woke up to themselves and realised that this simply wasn''t the case...

Much more of this and us with any football knowledge know just where the Doc & Co will be taking us...

Div 1 and they won''t even be able to cut the mustard there either!!!

[quote user="Dicky"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Its a curious thing when players mistakes are picked upon,  doc and shacks have looked very good together but did make mistakes against Palace which cost us goals;   yet we should have been comfortably ahead by then had the strikers done their job and taken relatively easy chances - earnie had good chances in the games against palace QPR and Southend which have cost us possibly 5 points - where is the criticism of him?

Doc is a consistent performer who had a howler - every city player has done that this season;  however he has also performed very well at the back this season and those performances are conveniently overlooked.  He is not perfect and his game has many flaws,  but he is far from the main reason why we are in the position we are...

[/quote]

Anybody that rates the Doc much better than your average park footballer knows sweet FA about football...

[/quote]

How can you possibly say that with any authority, having admitted yourself that you have not been to carrow road recently?  As for being the worst CB in the last 30 years? 

[/quote]

agreed dicky...how can he say that.. i take it he never saw Kevin Scott!

jas :)

Well....I''ve been to plenty of games and he is total garbage....along with the rest of them.

Worst player ever?....I reckon I''ve seen more rubbish in a Norwich shirt over the last 10 years than at any time since the early ''60s.....but having said that.....at least in those days they knew they were not very good....but at least gave it their all for the club.

If we can honestly call his level of ability acceptable....then we may as well all pack up and go home........

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Dicky"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No I never saw Kevin Scott...  will give you that one if he was in fact any worse than the Doc...

I do only say one of the worst centre-backs in the last 30 years not the WORST!!!

Doc is no world beater but he is as solid at this level as most centre backs in this league, better than most and inferior to some.  Under no circumstances is he garbage but like all players he has bad moments and bad games.  His performances at the back this season have been consistently OK - no more no less,  the equivalent of Shax and Dion at the back and significantly better than flems.  

I would go further and say that overall he has made fewer costly mistakes than just about any defender or midfielder and has fewer failures at the back than earnie does misses at the front, and thats before we get to earnies poor movement, touch and passing.

CB is not one the key positions to change and anyone who is suggesting that Doc is no better than a park player is guilty of worse spin than anything the clubs media can spin out - talk about beleiving your own rhetoric and whipping yourself into a self infilicted rant. 

I do not for a moment think doc is anything like a candidate for POTS,  but he is neither the donkey nor scapegoat general for this season.  The problems we have had for two seasons stem firmly in the midfield and how to use hux no managers know how to minimise his threat and use the space he leaves behind - which is entirely a coaching/management and squad problem.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Doc is no world beater but he is as solid at this level as most centre backs in this league, better than most and inferior to some.  Under no circumstances is he garbage but like all players he has bad moments and bad games.  His performances at the back this season have been consistently OK - no more no less,  the equivalent of Shax and Dion at the back and significantly better than flems.  

I would go further and say that overall he has made fewer costly mistakes than just about any defender or midfielder and has fewer failures at the back than earnie does misses at the front, and thats before we get to earnies poor movement, touch and passing.

CB is not one the key positions to change and anyone who is suggesting that Doc is no better than a park player is guilty of worse spin than anything the clubs media can spin out - talk about beleiving your own rhetoric and whipping yourself into a self infilicted rant. 

I do not for a moment think doc is anything like a candidate for POTS,  but he is neither the donkey nor scapegoat general for this season.  The problems we have had for two seasons stem firmly in the midfield and how to use hux no managers know how to minimise his threat and use the space he leaves behind - which is entirely a coaching/management and squad problem.

[/quote]

If you are prepared to spend £20 to £30 per match watching that kind of standard of player then more fool you because I have seen better at Jewson League level and that costs you about a fiver per match!!!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Dicky"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No I never saw Kevin Scott...  will give you that one if he was in fact any worse than the Doc...

I do only say one of the worst centre-backs in the last 30 years not the WORST!!!

[/quote]

i dont think any of us actually "saw" kevin scott.. just some bloke plodding around in a yellow and green shirt .. i remember a backpass vs WBA that sold Gunny well to short... Scott even had the audacity to blame Gunny for it too! and he got sent off vs Huddersfield town for kicking Andy Payton... he never even managed to kick a ball accuratley for us so god knows how he made contact with Payton...

and he played 20 odd games for us... so if u never saw him play (and this was in 1998) i take it u never went to games then? in the days of 13000 crowds and affordable Tickets! what would certain people say! ;)

[quote user="Smudger"]

because I have seen better at Jewson League level

[/quote]

well I wish you would go on their jewson messageboard and share your jewson views with them for a little while! [;)]

Having bought a season ticket (less than £17 a game but still not good value admittedly) is it more foolish to not go,  so pushing the cost per game already watched this season to over £30? 

The football is not up to scratch but the experience of meeting up with familiar fans and discussing our woes as it happens (thanks to katie, jonella for continuing to make match days worth it) means that the club continues to thrive in spite of the football - thats fanship for you 

Having identified the problems of the last manager far earlier than most and actively campaigned for his removal I am quite sure I am no fool, dont swallow the clubs hype (nor that of ill informed fans) and quite capable of forming my own views without on club, board managers and players without the need to seek your approval Smudger. On Doc you thinkyou are right - I am quite sure you are not;  I accept the difference in view point.

Whilst desperately trying to avoid sounding patronising, I have to say that over the last year or two of trawling through this message board and sitting through the ''marvellous'' fare served up at Carrow Rd, I have come to respect ZLF''s opinion on footballing matters above most other posters on this board. I can''t think of a comment that he has made regarding the performance of our team which I have disagreed with or, if I have, that hasn''t turned out to be more perceptive than my initial thoughts in the long run.

I only say this to back up his assertion that he certainly is not a fool and to point out to Smudger that he needs to be more careful when casting hugely generalising, ill-thought through insults in the direction of anyone who disagrees with him.    

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Dicky"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

i dont think any of us actually "saw" kevin scott.. just some bloke plodding around in a yellow and green shirt .. i remember a backpass vs WBA that sold Gunny well to short... Scott even had the audacity to blame Gunny for it too! and he got sent off vs Huddersfield town for kicking Andy Payton... he never even managed to kick a ball accuratley for us so god knows how he made contact with Payton...

and he played 20 odd games for us... so if u never saw him play (and this was in 1998) i take it u never went to games then? in the days of 13000 crowds and affordable Tickets! what would certain people say! ;)

[/quote]

Yes I went to games then... but am still struggling to picture the guy even though I have just read up about him...

He must of been so bad that he has even slipped my memory...  His 20 odd games were over a 3year spell including a loan period though!!!

Spot on Jas , Kevin Scott what a thing that was , not quite as bad as Charlie Billington but getting that way, Matt you sweet old Shannock didn''t need your stats to know that Dublin and Shack are the best , you only have to see them play , but well done , see you down the Morley for a pint and a game of snooker sometime .