Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

Relegation a kick up the backside or the downward spiral?

Suppose we did actually go down.

who on here feels it would actually be good the club?

It might seem a cock eyed way of looking at it but some clubs end up being woken up by playing in the 3rd tier...

Manchester City and Reading have profited from it, look at them now.. the same could be said to some extent of Nottingham Forest.

All those clubs got rid of the dead wood, the wasters, and got in players who actually cared about the club... the right board and the right staff and (in the case of 2) have reaped the rewards.

if we went down would it be the catalyst to come back bigger and better? or would we do a Notts County and slide into Oblivion?

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

It might seem a cock eyed way of looking at it but some clubs end up being woken up by playing in the 3rd tier...

Manchester City and Reading have profited from it, look at them now.. the same could be said to some extent of Nottingham Forest.

All those clubs got rid of the dead wood, the wasters, and got in players who actually cared about the club... the right board and the right staff and (in the case of 2) have reaped the rewards.

if we went down would it be the catalyst to come back bigger and better? or would we do a Notts County and slide into Oblivion?

[/quote]

I could see it as more of a kick up the a**e. I dont want is to happen though, not in a zillion years.

has happened to a lot a "big" clubs over recent years - Notts Forest are only just bouncing back. Not sure how long it took Man City. Can see Leeds going down. We are certainly not immune and no one is ever too good to go down. I don''t see anything as a kick up the backside to today''s football professional where a complacent, unprofessional attitude prevails. Relegation rarely harms the players. The ones who suffer most as always are the fans.

The way this club is structured it will not have the strength or courage to "bounce back up".

If we go down....the debts will become totally unmanageable....and no players worthwhile will be interested in coming to rural Norfolk. In short....we would be finished as a force for many years.

The trick is to avoid it....but given the situation within CR....I''m fearful of what lies ahead. We just don''t have the guts for a fight....as was all too clearly seen during our pantomime in the Premiership.

Let''s not forget Swindon, Oldham, Notts County... All have been in the top flight over the past 20 years and they have done nothing but fester down the leagues since...

Being relegated is only a good thing if you can guarantee a positive reaction from it, as well as a swift promotion. I''m sure most people considered that the case in 1995 too...

[quote user="Cluck"]

and no players worthwhile will be interested in coming to rural Norfolk.

[/quote]Errr..."rural Norfolk"?Last time I looked, Norwich was the biggest city in East Anglia and accepted capital of the same.North Walsham is rural Norfolk....Trimingham is, Watton is, but Norwich most certainly isn''t, and last time I looked the postcode of Carrow Road starts "NR1"Maybe your small town attitude is clouding your judgement.

I would really fear for the future of the club if we were relegated to League One.  The club would find it virtually impossible to pay off its debt.

Imo the only objective Grant was given when he was appointed Manager was to keep us in this division and i think hte Board will give Grant what ever money he needs to start strengthening the squad in January. 

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="Cluck"]

[/quote]

Errr..."rural Norfolk"?
Last time I looked, Norwich was the biggest city in East Anglia and accepted capital of the same.
North Walsham is rural Norfolk....Trimingham is, Watton is, but Norwich most certainly isn''t, and last time I looked the postcode of Carrow Road starts "NR1"

Maybe your small town attitude is clouding your judgement.

[/quote]

However, norfolk has and always will be interpreted as a rural location

It doesn''t bear thinking about. The only catalyst for teams rising from the ashes is when someone comes in and invests megga bucks. Success is not always immediate but its only a matter of time before the financial clout ensures that these teams emerge from obscurity - thats why West Ham wont get relegated ! Its crucial that we remain in the championship, after all while we are there, however poorly we are playing we are just one season away from the premiership !

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]Is it worth the risk?

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="Cluck"]

[/quote]

Errr..."rural Norfolk"?
Last time I looked, Norwich was the biggest city in East Anglia and accepted capital of the same.
North Walsham is rural Norfolk....Trimingham is, Watton is, but Norwich most certainly isn''t, and last time I looked the postcode of Carrow Road starts "NR1"

Maybe your small town attitude is clouding your judgement.

[/quote]

Ha ha ha Herb......maybe spending too much time in Norfolk has given you delusions of grandeur. Norfolk is very "rural" and I''m proud of it. Compared with the urban sprawl I see regularly around the country....trust me...it''s rural....and big city players would not automatically want to come to us in League One (Division 3)....

[quote user="Cluck"]

Ha ha ha Herb......maybe spending too much time in Norfolk has given you delusions of grandeur. Norfolk is very "rural" and I''m proud of it. Compared with the urban sprawl I see regularly around the country....trust me...it''s rural....and big city players would not automatically want to come to us in League One (Division 3)....

[/quote]Correct me if im wrong but wasn''t League one Division 2?PremiershipChampionship (Division 1)League 1 (Division 2)League 2 (Division 3)Conference

if we go down, which is a very real possibility, it could mean we end up like rotherham, going into administartion, a 10 point penalty but then we would have to rely on younger players to get us back up. they have today sold 2 of their upcoming stars for over a million. that shows that a good youth policy works when you have players who can generate funds like that. maybe it would be the kick up the rectum the board need!!!

[quote user="Tamuff87"][quote user="Cluck"]

[/quote]

Correct me if im wrong but wasn''t League one Division 2?

Premiership
Championship (Division 1)
League 1 (Division 2)
League 2 (Division 3)
Conference
[/quote]

Nay Nay, he''s referring to the proper days...

Division 1 / Division 2 / Division 3 / Division 4 / Conference

Its shameful, that we should even be mentioned in the same breath as the word, relegation. Its possibly the lowest point since seeking re-election in the 50''s. Disgraceful.  

Dear God! Relegation would be an unmitigated DISASTER!!!

It is terrifying to see that in the past few years in Division One/The Championship we have played Oxford, Wallsall, MK Dons, Swindon, Bristol City, Stockport, Bury, Grimsby, Oldham, Forest, Tranmere, Port Vale, Gillingham, Bradford, Brighton, Huddersfield, Crewe, Millwall and Rotherham and look where they are now!!!

Yes a few teams bounce back but people who think that relegation would serve as a ''kick up the backside'' are as deluded as people who thought that relegation from the Premier League would be a ''kick up the backside''.

Relegation is a black cloud with NO silver lining. Fortunately this will not happen to NCFC this season!

OTBC

[quote user="mbncfc"][quote user="Tamuff87"][quote user="Cluck"]

[/quote]

Correct me if im wrong but wasn''t League one Division 2?

Premiership
Championship (Division 1)
League 1 (Division 2)
League 2 (Division 3)
Conference
[/quote]

Nay Nay, he''s referring to the proper days...

Division 1 / Division 2 / Division 3 / Division 4 / Conference

[/quote]

Thanks mbncfc......Happily I''ve never bought into this Championship crap. It''s just more "marketing spin" to make us believe Division Two is better than it actually is. If anything it has lowered the standard overall and I can''t see one team in this current set up that could survive the Premiership.