Sign in to follow this  
Farkes The Herald Angels

You just don't know what excitement is.....

What the hell have we been reduced to, eh?

The enthralling prospect of Tamworth in the FA Cup. Whoopee Doo!!

No, what you need is something more unusual, like the entire goal collapsing on me at Molineux (any of you there?), the League Cup semi final against Chelsea that was called off due to fog coming in from the Wensum with 6 minutes to go before our first Wembley appearance and the day that Nationwide (remember that???) the TV news magazine covered the Man Utd invasion of Carra when they set the roof of the Barclay on fire......

And who remembers Keith Weller in tights at Leicester in the FA Cup 3rd round? I was there but had a bottle or two of Rum on the way and only remember being surrounded by Bradford supporters whose game had been called off  at Derby due to snow and came along for a laaaaaaarf

And then there was Greg Downs

And the guy who always fell over...... oh yes.... Keith Bertschin

And John Bond''s leather coat

And Ken Brown''s leather coat, which I remember on the sad day we lost to Wigan about 20 years ago when their ground was more like Tamworth''s!!!!!

I love RUUUUUUUMMMMMMMM

Tamworth..... paaaaah

[quote user="Kevin Keelan"]

What the hell have we been reduced to, eh?

The enthralling prospect of Tamworth in the FA Cup. Whoopee Doo!!

No, what you need is something more unusual, like the entire goal collapsing on me at Molineux (any of you there?), the League Cup semi final against Chelsea that was called off due to fog coming in from the Wensum with 6 minutes to go before our first Wembley appearance and the day that Nationwide (remember that???) the TV news magazine covered the Man Utd invasion of Carra when they set the roof of the Barclay on fire......

And who remembers Keith Weller in tights at Leicester in the FA Cup 3rd round? I was there but had a bottle or two of Rum on the way and only remember being surrounded by Bradford supporters whose game had been called off  at Derby due to snow and came along for a laaaaaaarf

And then there was Greg Downs

And the guy who always fell over...... oh yes.... Keith Bertschin

And John Bond''s leather coat

And Ken Brown''s leather coat, which I remember on the sad day we lost to Wigan about 20 years ago when their ground was more like Tamworth''s!!!!!

I love RUUUUUUUMMMMMMMM

Tamworth..... paaaaah

[/quote]

i remember 1967, think it was, going to old trafford, city 4th bottom of old 2nd division, 15000 0f us roaring city to a 2-1 win, heath and bolland, fighting for our lives getting out of manchester when about 40,000 ticked off man utd fans wanted to kill us. great days lol

also i remember all of the above.

I wholeheartedly agree.  Whoever pulled the balls out of the hat should be sacked immediately, and all non-league teams shuold be banned from the contest.Oh, hang on, that Sutton Utd game was alright though, wasn''t it ?Nostalgia is dangerous, sad that it''s all we''ve got until the players become a team again.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]
Nostalgia is dangerous, sad that it''s all we''ve got until the players become a team again.
[/quote]

That''s ridiculous Blah! We will always have it. Maybe what you meant is that when the club is struggling we compare it to the "good old days" and when we are succesful we compare to the "bad old days". That my friend is a fact of life!

not being an "old Codger" like the majority in this thread i have no such memories of days of yore!

Suttons Header in the FA cup 1/4 final Replay, Sutch vs the Villa, Gozzas Goals, Efan Ekoku being the first Norwich player to socre a goal in europe, Motty Shouting "VALENCIA!!!! OH fine save by Bryan Gunn" in Munich when the big man spread himself infront of a point blank header to win us the biggest game in our history, Sutton and Foxys Dance, Chase out!, the playoff Final and the Premiership...

Some fine memories of my 15 years as a fan... not sure we''ll see those days again.... dam shame... I still remember Sutton Running over to right infront of me when i was a boy after scoring the winner in that cup match.

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

not being an "old Codger" like the majority in this thread i have no such memories of days of yore!

Suttons Header in the FA cup 1/4 final Replay, Sutch vs the Villa, Gozzas Goals, Efan Ekoku being the first Norwich player to socre a goal in europe, Motty Shouting "VALENCIA!!!! OH fine save by Bryan Gunn" in Munich when the big man spread himself infront of a point blank header to win us the biggest game in our history, Sutton and Foxys Dance, Chase out!, the playoff Final and the Premiership...

Some fine memories of my 15 years as a fan... not sure we''ll see those days again.... dam shame... I still remember Sutton Running over to right infront of me when i was a boy after scoring the winner in that cup match.

[/quote]

I love being an old codger jas [:)]

We''ll have good days again, you will probably have more than us old codgers.

One thing all generations are owed is AN FA CUP FINAL!

Sort it out Grant! [;)]

Best FA Cup moment for me (1989 and 1992 runs to the Semi''s excluded) was in one of the first few Norwich games I saw...  City beating the Scum 1-0 courtesy of a Keith Bertschin goal in 1983.

I can remember getting in the stand with the players after drawing with 1 - 1 with Watford 1971/72 as a 15 year old lad. Can also remember Kev the Cat pushing the ball in the face of an opponent whilst about to kick the ball up field and getting sent off. What was that all about then ? I''d like to know who the opponent was, who we were playing and what was the score ? 

That''s bizarre, I have a ridiculously vivid memory of that too. Think it must have been 74/75 I think cos I didn''t start going until then. Be interested to know if you can remember it KK. 

God, those were the days my friend...remember watching City vs Villa (managed by Saunders) and the cushions raining down from the main stand...!    John Bond - he WAS a good manager wasn''t he?    Keith Bertschin - just like Bambi, had the knack of bearing down on an open goal only to go down in a heap as he fell over his own feet...Greg Downs was a class act - we could do with someone like him now!Hey ho - don''t know about you lot but this Tamworth game makes me nervous as hell!!!!

I love the FA Cup.....always have. My best memory was my first ever away match against Leyton Orient back in the early 1960s. Real cockneys selling roasted chestnuts (or was it peanuts) in the ground....and we won as well!

Oh yes I do Kevin. Apart from watching you...........! This............

1959, 10th January, Carrow Rd, Snow, City 3 Man Utd 0, Matt Busby''s Babes, Bobby Charlton & all. Nethercott, Thurlow, Ashman, McCrohan, Butler. Crowe, Crossan, Allcock, Bly, Hill, Brennan. On the ball City...........Norfolk Dumpling. City outfootballing United.

The day that made Archie Macaulay a legend for all time.

The day the Pink''Un led with the headline Bly, Bly, Babes.

The spirit, and style, and class that we now need so badly.

The day that changed City''s history.

OTBC

KK''s biography on ''Flown From The Nest'' mentions a sending-off for pushing the ball in the face of Tommy Robson of Northampton.Don''t know if that''s the one you remember. A mate of mine tells the story of KK being repeatedly fouled by a striker at Carrow Road. With the referee doing nothing and the game in its final couple of minutes Kev took matters into his own hands - as the ball came over from a corner he caught the ball, flattened the striker, handed his gloves to a team-mate and walked off before the ref had time to get his card out of his pocket. A class act all round, never bettered as a ''keeper - even matched Gordon Banks'' classic save from Pele with a near carbon-copy effort against Malcolm Macdonald (in his Arsenal days), I can still see the look of disbelief on Macdonald''s face!Whilst we''re being sad oldies, the moniker ''SuperMac'' was used by some of the media for Macdonald, whereas all right-thinking fans know that the nickname belongs solely to our own Ted McDougall - agreed Perm? I''m so glad my early memories are of the yo-yo years of the Seventies - great hairstyles and great excitement - always top-flight, or enjoying a promotion season; playing Villa and Man Ure in Division 2!Attendances of up to 30,000 (in my first year - 1973 - as top-flight newbies we had an average crowd of 28,000, higher than ''big clubs'' Newcastle, Wolves and Sheffield Utd.).Enough - time for my nap...Zzzz[|-)]

You''ve got that right FB, only ever one Supermac in my books. In fact I can remember my Dad constantly winding me up that the original was Malcolm Macdonald which used to get a massive rise out of me! That was before he spent 10 years supporting Villa after they beat us in the League cup final [:D] - my first ever trip to Wembley. In fact I still hate them to this day, even if I sometimes forget the reason why. Anyway, as you say, enough of the sad oldie lark, think I can feel my nap coming on now...[:)]. 

[quote user="Fat Barman"]KK''s biography on ''Flown From The Nest'' mentions a sending-off for pushing the ball in the face of Tommy Robson of Northampton.
Don''t know if that''s the one you remember. A mate of mine tells the story of KK being repeatedly fouled by a striker at Carrow Road. With the referee doing nothing and the game in its final couple of minutes Kev took matters into his own hands - as the ball came over from a corner he caught the ball, flattened the striker, handed his gloves to a team-mate and walked off before the ref had time to get his card out of his pocket. A class act all round, never bettered as a ''keeper - even matched Gordon Banks'' classic save from Pele with a near carbon-copy effort against Malcolm Macdonald (in his Arsenal days), I can still see the look of disbelief on Macdonald''s face!

Whilst we''re being sad oldies, the moniker ''SuperMac'' was used by some of the media for Macdonald, whereas all right-thinking fans know that the nickname belongs solely to our own Ted McDougall - agreed Perm? I''m so glad my early memories are of the yo-yo years of the Seventies - great hairstyles and great excitement - always top-flight, or enjoying a promotion season; playing Villa and Man Ure in Division 2!
Attendances of up to 30,000 (in my first year - 1973 - as top-flight newbies we had an average crowd of 28,000, higher than ''big clubs'' Newcastle, Wolves and Sheffield Utd.).

Enough - time for my nap...Zzzz[|-)]
[/quote]

I remember that incident well. Robson (the number 11) for Northampton tried to push KK in the box while he was waiting to make a kick....KK moved the ball to one arm and smacked him clean off his feet and he lay flat out on the grass unconscious. Phil Kelly had to replace him in goal....and being rather smaller than KK the jumper was huge....and the massive gloves hung down like a chimpanzee.

It was the talk of the school for weeks...and made him my firm City favourite to this day! Somehow it didn''t seem so violent in those days..........[:)]

[quote user="Cluck"]

[quote user="Fat Barman"]KK''s biography on ''Flown From The Nest'' mentions a sending-off for pushing the ball in the face of Tommy Robson of Northampton.
Don''t know if that''s the one you remember. A mate of mine tells the story of KK being repeatedly fouled by a striker at Carrow Road. With the referee doing nothing and the game in its final couple of minutes Kev took matters into his own hands - as the ball came over from a corner he caught the ball, flattened the striker, handed his gloves to a team-mate and walked off before the ref had time to get his card out of his pocket. A class act all round, never bettered as a ''keeper - even matched Gordon Banks'' classic save from Pele with a near carbon-copy effort against Malcolm Macdonald (in his Arsenal days), I can still see the look of disbelief on Macdonald''s face!

Whilst we''re being sad oldies, the moniker ''SuperMac'' was used by some of the media for Macdonald, whereas all right-thinking fans know that the nickname belongs solely to our own Ted McDougall - agreed Perm? I''m so glad my early memories are of the yo-yo years of the Seventies - great hairstyles and great excitement - always top-flight, or enjoying a promotion season; playing Villa and Man Ure in Division 2!
Attendances of up to 30,000 (in my first year - 1973 - as top-flight newbies we had an average crowd of 28,000, higher than ''big clubs'' Newcastle, Wolves and Sheffield Utd.).

Enough - time for my nap...Zzzz[|-)]
[/quote]

I remember that incident well. Robson (the number 11) for Northampton tried to push KK in the box while he was waiting to make a kick....KK moved the ball to one arm and smacked him clean off his feet and he lay flat out on the grass unconscious. Phil Kelly had to replace him in goal....and being rather smaller than KK the jumper was huge....and the massive gloves hung down like a chimpanzee.

It was the talk of the school for weeks...and made him my firm City favourite to this day! Somehow it didn''t seem so violent in those days..........[:)]

[/quote]

Keelans right hook is actaulyl on the Centenary DVd.. have a watch!

Keelan then went on to fight Marvin Hagler for the WBA championship

are you me?!  ditto on all those memories, FA 1/4 final game was about as good as it gets really.

About the post:

The thing is, tomorrow is exciting, its different in everyway and the outcome ranges from a superb romping 8-0 drubbing, Earnie 5-trick followed by a game with Chelski / Manure to abject humiliation in front of the nation, that is football eh, a bit more at stake than the usual  0, 1 or 3 points in a battle for mid-table obscurity. Some of those outcomes are fantatsical maybe, but no one can tell me 100 % we won''t see them unfold from beneath that tin hut of a stand at 12.30 tomorrow.

If you don''t like it get out of the way.  In the words of an old timer who attended one game a year at Carrow road and screamed for joy throughout the match "FOOTTTBAALLLLLLLHHHHHHHHHHHHH"