Sign in to follow this  
Rethinking the future

What do players think of Norwich.....

Much has been written about which players we want joining our squad but I thought it might be interesting and see what the players might think of Norwich and its supporters.

Location wise, we are out on a limb. Poor road and rail links can make access here quite awkward, but there is a reasonable local airport for longer trips. Once here, Norfolk is very laid back and quiet compared to other parts of the country.

The current team is certainly under-achieving. Some good players within the squad, but as a team playing poorly.

The training facilities are reported as being excellent and the stadium is above average for a championship club which regularly attracts attendance''s nearing it''s 25,000 capacity.

The problem with the club is its fans. If you are not winning at half time, you regularly get booed off. If you lose, you will definitely get booed off. If the fans don''t like you, you will forever get jeered and barracked, with every mistake criticised, and every positive forgotten. However, when the team is playing well, the support is up there with the best in the country.

The fans forums and phone-ins are very negative, even when things are going well. If you are not in favour, the hostility transfers from carrow road to the message boards. You know when you are not welcome.

For players thinking about joining Norwich - and it is always the players choice - the behaviour of our fans is recognised. At then end of the day, if it is a choice between club A, B and City, then issues like location, environment and atmosphere all play a part in the player making their decision, irrespective of what anyone from the club says or does.

They think - a cosy little club with a pretty stadium and an unusual football kit. A side not known for having an aggressive edge or ever doing anything contriversial (both major signings, having major managers or winning any trophies). Norwich is either a nice place to escape to to see out your career or a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

[quote user="Rethinking the future"]Much has been written about which players we want joining our squad but I thought it might be interesting and see what the players might think of Norwich and its supporters. Location wise, we are out on a limb. Poor road and rail links can make access here quite awkward, but there is a reasonable local airport for longer trips. Once here, Norfolk is very laid back and quiet compared to other parts of the country. The current team is certainly under-achieving. Some good players within the squad, but as a team playing poorly. The training facilities are reported as being excellent and the stadium is above average for a championship club which regularly attracts attendance''s nearing it''s 25,000 capacity. The problem with the club is its fans. If you are not winning at half time, you regularly get booed off. If you lose, you will definitely get booed off. If the fans don''t like you, you will forever get jeered and barracked, with every mistake criticised, and every positive forgotten. However, when the team is playing well, the support is up there with the best in the country. The fans forums and phone-ins are very negative, even when things are going well. If you are not in favour, the hostility transfers from carrow road to the message boards. You know when you are not welcome. For players thinking about joining Norwich - and it is always the players choice - the behaviour of our fans is recognised. At then end of the day, if it is a choice between club A, B and City, then issues like location, environment and atmosphere all play a part in the player making their decision, irrespective of what anyone from the club says or does.[/quote]

you forgot they will have a great following at away games even though city''s away record is horrendous.

An interesting post but simply can''t agree with the criticism of the fans.

I have noticed that this crops every now and then and can only assume most who criticise don''t go to many football matches.

I go to nearly all NCFC games home and away and there is not a football crowd in the country that hasn''t booed there team off when things are not going well. In fact Norwich supporters, generally, are extremely patient but the last couple of years has seen truly awful football. Still we turn up in our thousands thinking, hoping, things must improve even though there is rarely a discernable effort by those in power to make positive changes. In fact we usually get dished up the usual ....... stuff!

Look mate, there''s plenty to moan about regarding our club but the supporters are way down that list. Just look at the figures home and away, you will see we are still one of the top supported clubs and the other well supported clubs are all way above us in the league.

I am desperate to go to away grounds and be proud of the team I support but I can''t remember what that feels like!!

I think the biggest negative to attracting players now is convincing them we want to strive for the top and that we are not liitle old Norwich led by ''Let''s be ''aving you'' know who!!!

LETS BE HONEST

We have a great fan base

We boo at half time if the performance is not good

We boo more at full time

The new manager tells us the effect that has on the players, he wears his heart on his sleeve, tells it to us how it is and has a go at the fans, this reflects the feeling in the camp, there is such indegnation amongst the fans that he is gagged and says no more.

We slag off the chairman and suggest she is ripping the club off

We constantly critisise and the Board and CE

We slag off  most of our players

We think that for them playing for City is the highlight of their career 

We pay wages that are a disgrace for some of  the performances we get

The players have a great chance to get the fans on board,they play crap at PR and we are left feeling like shit.

Every week in the EDP a player is telling us how we need to improve and what a difference he is going to make?

Why would any half decent young player want to come here?

Would You?

Your points are interesting but I would like to take issue with you with regard to Norwich fans. Your comments have an element of truth about them but it must be recognized that they can be attributed to every team in the land, it is all about expectations. We had ours raised after we were promoted and tasted the high life of the premiership for a brief spell and the support, when we were up against it most weeks was phenomenal.

After relegation, the expectations remained high, thats human nature and many teams in our position have failed to live up to them. We have gone through this period and now you will see that the expectations are now lower as many fans are thinking in terms of avoiding relegation. I notice that Chelsea were booed off the pitch recently after a home draw, a classic example of how their fans expectations have changed in recent years.

The fans who moan and groan ( including myself ) do it because we care. But unlike many of the hangers on who joined the bandwagon when we were flying high, we will still turn up to the games even after relegation because....well thats what genuine fans do !

However harsh, the truth is - any well paid player who plays badly week in week out will get criticized by the fans of any club, in any of the top 4 divisions, I actually think Norwich fans are very tolerant given the quality of football at CR in recent seasons

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

LETS BE HONEST

We have a great fan base

We boo at half time if the performance is not good

We boo more at full time

The new manager tells us the effect that has on the players, he wears his heart on his sleeve, tells it to us how it is and has a go at the fans, this reflects the feeling in the camp, there is such indegnation amongst the fans that he is gagged and says no more.

We slag off the chairman and suggest she is ripping the club off

We constantly critisise and the Board and CE

We slag off  most of our players

We think that for them playing for City is the highlight of their career 

We pay wages that are a disgrace for some of  the performances we get

The players have a great chance to get the fans on board,they play crap at PR and we are left feeling like shit.

Every week in the EDP a player is telling us how we need to improve and what a difference he is going to make?

Why would any half decent young player want to come here?

Would You?

[/quote]

Believe me, football fans are virtually the same the country over. If any other clubs fans had experienced what we have over the last couple of years they would be exactly the same. It''s mostly an expectation thing isn''t it, we got a season in the Prem and now feel (quite rightly in my opinion) that we should be at least challenging at the top of our current league - we are unhappy because we are not. Pompey fans (who are in general very noisy excellent supporting fans) are now beginning to believe that they should get a place in Europe at the end of this season - I am sure if they finish, say, 10th there will be some of them who will be unhappy. It''s just part of the mentality of most footy fans.

Mark .Y.

thefutureisyellow has summed us up brilliantly. We''re very like Wolves fans, in fact......  Indifferent [:|]

That isn''t a pleasant prospect for potential players, coaches or Board members at the moment.

I went to the recent West Brom game where we won 1-0.

On the way back we listened to the equiuvalent of ''Canary Call'' on BRMB, the Midlands local radio.

They cover all the Midlands teams, obviously and if you think we''re alone with our moaning you are sadly mistaken - eveyr team was moaned about.

In fact a West Brom fan came on and confidently predicted that they would not win another game between then and the end of the season and that they would be relegated. The DJ asked if that wasn''t a bit harsh and the guy confirmed they wouldn''t win a SINGLE game and that Mowbray did not have a clue.

I think we all have a right/duty to moan when things are bad, it''s just that some people take this to a ridiculous extreme where the Club cannot do ANYTHING right (and I include myself in that at times).

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]

An interesting post but simply can''t agree with the criticism of the fans.

I have noticed that this crops every now and then and can only assume most who criticise don''t go to many football matches.

I go to nearly all NCFC games home and away and there is not a football crowd in the country that hasn''t booed there team off when things are not going well. In fact Norwich supporters, generally, are extremely patient but the last couple of years has seen truly awful football. Still we turn up in our thousands thinking, hoping, things must improve even though there is rarely a discernable effort by those in power to make positive changes. In fact we usually get dished up the usual ....... stuff!

Look mate, there''s plenty to moan about regarding our club but the supporters are way down that list. Just look at the figures home and away, you will see we are still one of the top supported clubs and the other well supported clubs are all way above us in the league.

I am desperate to go to away grounds and be proud of the team I support but I can''t remember what that feels like!!

I think the biggest negative to attracting players now is convincing them we want to strive for the top and that we are not liitle old Norwich led by ''Let''s be ''aving you'' know who!!!

[/quote]

Good reply Bury....and stalwart City supporters have nothing to apologise for. Few other clubs have such a loyal and astute group of fans behind them.....and NCFC should be very proud. Despite dodgy performances....they are always there in numbers....and as has been said....there are plenty of other things to look at before we even go there.........

I''ll stop griping about players poor performances and apathy - when they start paying me to watch them.

So now, the arrogant and demanding NCFC fans - are the most selfish, vitriolic, insultive and unrealistic followers of any other professional soccer club in Great Britain. I think we are more accepting and passive than many clubs, and I mean that most sincerely folks. Aren''t Carl Robinson and Andy Hughes the finest pair of footballing talented individuals - that have ever graced our Â£750,000 immaculate playing surface. I also think, that it is most commendable of Delia Smith to now live a paupers existence, after sacrificing her vibrant, busy and popular career, and relinqushing her lifetime savings and earnings by donating it all to the Carrow Road coffers and receiving nothing in return, apart from witnessing the smiling happy faces of the adoring ''ickle waifs of appreciative and forever grateful fans''.........Ahh isn''t our club wunnerful. BLEURGH!

We are bad fans eh?

Well i can think of at least 10 clubs (reasonably sized clubs too) that are a country mile worse than us so i don''t know where you can possibly think that we are regarded as bad fans. I mean we can nowhere ever ever be compared to fans at Villa or West Ham or Charlton or boro. You have obviously never seen other grounds at half time. I mean West Ham and Charlton have been booed off in 90% of their games this season.

Not only do we sell great numbers of tickets but our away support is probably the best (considering how bad we are, the distance and the vocal and numerical support we bring) and oddly we sell more tickets than fulham, reading, blackburn, bolton, portsmouth, wigan and many other Premiership teams all the while being 17th in the championship.

And finally like mentioned players don''t decide whether they will join a club because of it''s supporters otherwise we''d have rooney, portsmouth would have lampard and man u would have carl robinson.

[quote user="jetstream"]I went to the recent West Brom game where we won 1-0.

On the way back we listened to the equiuvalent of ''Canary Call'' on BRMB, the Midlands local radio.

They cover all the Midlands teams, obviously and if you think we''re alone with our moaning you are sadly mistaken - eveyr team was moaned about.

In fact a West Brom fan came on and confidently predicted that they would not win another game between then and the end of the season and that they would be relegated. The DJ asked if that wasn''t a bit harsh and the guy confirmed they wouldn''t win a SINGLE game and that Mowbray did not have a clue.

I think we all have a right/duty to moan when things are bad, it''s just that some people take this to a ridiculous extreme where the Club cannot do ANYTHING right (and I include myself in that at times).[/quote]Interesting jetstream. And where are West Brom now - in the play-off places. There are unreasonable fans out there, aren''t there? It''s down to a mixture of genuine under-achievement and unreasonable expectations. The worst thing Worthy ever did for his career and for the spirit in the wider Club was win the CCC. The fact is it''s a new page now and it''s too soon to see what will happen.