Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

on that performance i wouldnt...

shack attack, yes i know nothing about football because i dare to have an opinion thats different. If earny is so coveted why is he at a poor championship side? the thing is he has a poor first touch, he should have buried the ONE chance he had  and if you consider one season as a sub in the prem as " cutting it" then it is you who knows very little about football. I do know something about football mate, and that is that everybody is entitled to an opinion about whoever or whatever they feel they can talk about. it is down to other people to respect that opinion whether they agree with it or not. oh and by the way as you know so much about it have you any qualifications to do with football? I have, i am a qualified FA coach so i do know a bit about what coaches look for in players but i dont use that to slag off other peoples opinions.

Sorry to steal, but Nutty Nigel''s sig sums Earnie up perfectly:"Robert Earnshaw is the only player in the games history to have scored

hat-tricks in all four English league divisions, in the FA Cup, League

Cup and at international level."Tell me that''s not a player of quality, dare you. Just because he''s had one off-day, in which he was marked out of the game (and thus allowing Dion and the wingers more room to create, which they did well) doesn''t make him a bad striker overnight.  The clown Robson fell out with Earnie, that''s why he didn''t get many games at WBA, and you can bet your life that Robson has enough connections to put off a few of the Prem managers by spinning stories about Earnie''s attitude.  We should be grateful for Worthy''s "panic buy", and enjoy the fact that he and Dion are beginning to look like a class act up front.  Oh, and also the fact that someone other than him scored today... I''m pretty sure it''s the same posters now slagging Earnie off who were also saying that without him we''d be relegated...

[quote user="baldyboy"]shack attack, yes i know nothing about football because i dare to have an opinion thats different. If earny is so coveted why is he at a poor championship side? the thing is he has a poor first touch, he should have buried the ONE chance he had  and if you consider one season as a sub in the prem as " cutting it" then it is you who knows very little about football. I do know something about football mate, and that is that everybody is entitled to an opinion about whoever or whatever they feel they can talk about. it is down to other people to respect that opinion whether they agree with it or not. oh and by the way as you know so much about it have you any qualifications to do with football? I have, i am a qualified FA coach so i do know a bit about what coaches look for in players but i dont use that to slag off other peoples opinions.[/quote]

You claim to know what coaches look for in a player but your original post states that if you were a Premiership manager you would ignore everything that Earnie has done since he joined us and base your opinion on one performance. I''m sorry but that doesn''t really add up! As other posters have already noted, one of the reasons Earnie was a sub for WBA in the Premiership was because he had fell out with Brian Robson. No one''s trying to suggest that he''s good enough to play for the Man Utd and Chelsea''s of this world (although he might have scored more goals this season than Shevchenko!) but surely he could do a job for the majority of teams in the top flight.

I haven''t got an FA badge but if I did I would like to think I wouldn''t have to use it in a vain attempt to prove how knowledgeable I was about the game. I''d have much more respect for your opinions if you could back up your original post with some observations as to why Premiership teams will not want to sign him rather than resorting to boasting about your qualifications.

i have not slagged earny off as you put it Evil, i merely said i wouldnt pay as much for him as some people on here think hes worth. i would rather have him than not have him but people really ought to stop thinking hes worth some of the figures being bandied around. There is still much of his game he could improve but having said that once again i would rather have him than not.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Cluck

I have no idea why he wasn''t a permanent fixture in the West Brom side. You would hace to ask Mr. Robson. He scored a hat-trick one week and was on the bench the next.

In WBA''s 2004/5 Premier season Earnshaw scored 14 goals in 20 starts and 14 sub appearances. So even if you class all the sub appearances as full games a return of 14 goals in 34 games for a struggling Premiership side is not the record of a player who was a total flop or even playing above his level.

Why is it necessary to devalue everything to do with the Club we all say we support.

[/quote]

Why is it "devaluing" Earnshaw by classing him as a Chamionship player? He''s good....but not good enough to hold his own regularly in the Permiership. I''m hardly calling him a "rec" player. In the Premiership you can''t miss four chances and score one....which is what he does now.

Time will tell....but I fear he is going to find his level at a club like Norwich and become a "local hero".  If you think that status is so worthless...maybe you''re just watching too much Premiership football on the telly.......

where have i stated if i were a prem manager i would ignore all hes done for us as you put it, shak? i dont want to get into a personal battle here but if you read the original post i said on the performance on saturday i wouldnt buy earny. i dont know what you think i meant but i said that. He may have only had one chance in the game but he should have buried that, and thats the difference between being worth 5 or 6 million or not. you have to face it he has scored 17 goals i agree but how many more should he have had? i remember him missing a sitter against qpr in the last minute, missing three against cardiff and thats the point im trying to make, a quality premiership striker converts more chances than earny does. i have also spoken to a couple of my mates who are wba fans and they agree he is not prem quality, and as you said earlier he is proven in the prem so does that mean they are wrong? i dont think you are wrong to big up earny, that as i said before is your opinion which you are fully entitled to, but i have a different opinion to yours but i dont say you are this or you are that. as for the coaching thing i used that as you said again i know nothing about football, well again that is a personal attack. the point i would make there is when you are coaching people you try to help them improve and use pros as examples and earny is not an example i would choose to use except for his poor first touch, so to say i know nothing about football again is wrong. sorry to go on but its just a symptom of all things on this board with some posters in that when people air a different opinion they are called many things which are unfair. people ae entitled to an opinion and this is a forum for people to air those opinions and debate whats said not for attacking people because they disagree with what somebody said. sorry to all other posters that this was so long!!

[quote user="Cluck"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Cluck

I have no idea why he wasn''t a permanent fixture in the West Brom side. You would hace to ask Mr. Robson. He scored a hat-trick one week and was on the bench the next.

In WBA''s 2004/5 Premier season Earnshaw scored 14 goals in 20 starts and 14 sub appearances. So even if you class all the sub appearances as full games a return of 14 goals in 34 games for a struggling Premiership side is not the record of a player who was a total flop or even playing above his level.

Why is it necessary to devalue everything to do with the Club we all say we support.

[/quote]

Why is it "devaluing" Earnshaw by classing him as a Chamionship player? He''s good....but not good enough to hold his own regularly in the Permiership. I''m hardly calling him a "rec" player. In the Premiership you can''t miss four chances and score one....which is what he does now.

Time will tell....but I fear he is going to find his level at a club like Norwich and become a "local hero".  If you think that status is so worthless...maybe you''re just watching too much Premiership football on the telly.......

[/quote]

Maybe...

I''m watching too much premiership football on the telly... maybe I only went to one game this season (Plymouth away)... maybe I don''t really have a season ticket to not renew... but there''s no maybe about Earnie scoring 14 goals in 20 starts (+14 sub) for a struggling club in the Premier League. You quote Trevor Senior (interestingly from another southern based club) What was his goalscoring record in the top division?

I can only assume that this thread is a haven for people who have to find something to whinge about when Norwich win. As I said before, we will probably lose plenty more games before the end of the season so why not keep your powder dry until then.

Baldyboy, you are forever the injured party on here after people have a pop! Have you ever wondered why?

Yesterday''s Sunday Times went through all the Premiership Clubs reviewing their Window performance, their needs and all the potential signings.  There were all the usual suspects Bale, Ferguson etc but the only club they linked with Earny was Charlton!!  The most surprising thing for me has been the lack of speculation surrounding Earny given that at least 10 Prem clubs could use his goals even if only as an impact sub to bring on when it''s not working.  Still, there are hundreds of journalists chasing stories and if it was out there, someone would be reporting on the move

Not sure we need to worry too much on that basis

[quote user="Cluck"]

In the Premiership you can''t miss four chances and score one......

[/quote]You should tell that to Shevchenko.  And Peter Crouch. And Wayne Rooney, currently.  And Adebayor.  And Obafemi Martins.  And Benjani. And Carlos Tevez. And Angel.  And Baros. And Defoe.  And Beattie.  And Heskey. And Samaras.  And Bellamy.  And Rob Hulse. And... I mean, I could go on...

baldyboy wrote: "I have, i am a qualified FA coach so i do know a bit about what coaches look for in players but i dont use that to slag off other peoples opinions."

baldyboy, I am not challenging your qualifications but I am truly interested....would you be good enough to articulate specifically the key points a qualified FA coach looks for in assessing the merits of players. Thank you.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="Cluck"]

In the Premiership you can''t miss four chances and score one......

[/quote]

You should tell that to Shevchenko.  And Peter Crouch. And Wayne Rooney, currently.  And Adebayor.  And Obafemi Martins.  And Benjani. And Carlos Tevez. And Angel.  And Baros. And Defoe.  And Beattie.  And Heskey. And Samaras.  And Bellamy.  And Rob Hulse. And... I mean, I could go on...
[/quote]

That''s my favourite post this year I think. I always had that problem with Andy Cole at Man U. leon could have scored as many goals as him in that side, whenever it was...

yc, what i mean is when you try to demonstrate something that you want somebody to learn you use the right example. if i were using earny as an example it would be for scoring not control or first touch as that is not his best asset. if i came across incorrectly i apologise.

This is getting stupid

yes Earnie is a quality act for us, sometimes he makes use of chances and other time he doesnt. at the end of the day he''s our best scorer and the best in the championship.

he didnt get games at west brom because of his attitude. what part of his attitude? did he not like not getting selected in the first place and then got in a mood about it and fell out with robson? thus getting fewer games. why was he not selected to bbegin ewith if that was the case?

i dont personally know, i''m not up to date on earnies performance at west brom, or anywhere before norwich so if anyone wants to pick apart that possible explanation feel free.

however coming on as a sub and scoring multiple goals in the prem is diffewrent to starting and scoring multiple goals in the prem. look at Solskjaer hes come of the bench and scored 9 goals this season in all competitions for united an. fast strikers like earnie are going to have the advantage over tired defenders when they''re fresh and its late in the game.

again feel free to pick this explanation apart if you wish but theres no point in these arguments between eourselves. earnies good for us, hes popped a few in in the prem and hges probably sought after by at least two or three clubs. hes also said he wanst to remain in norwich, hes enjoying his football and if we get vine/hayter or riordan (by a miracle) we will have a great up front. earnies good. end of

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Cluck"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Cluck

[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe...

I''m watching too much premiership football on the telly... maybe I only went to one game this season (Plymouth away)... maybe I don''t really have a season ticket to not renew... but there''s no maybe about Earnie scoring 14 goals in 20 starts (+14 sub) for a struggling club in the Premier League. You quote Trevor Senior (interestingly from another southern based club) What was his goalscoring record in the top division?

I can only assume that this thread is a haven for people who have to find something to whinge about when Norwich win. As I said before, we will probably lose plenty more games before the end of the season so why not keep your powder dry until then.

Baldyboy, you are forever the injured party on here after people have a pop! Have you ever wondered why?

[/quote]

Oh dear....I don''t know why I try to reason with you Nutty.....but if it helps.....you''re right and I''m wrong once again and I''ll just have to try to live with it........

sorry nutty nigel , i dont consider myself to be always the injured party as you put it, just when opinions differ people start to get offensive. If i am wrong fair enough but people slagging others off for disagreeing with what they think is out of order. it is after all a forum for all to air there feelings or opinions isnt it? i wasjust making the point with the original thread that on his performance on saturday very few managers in the prem would want earny, for that i am thankful because i would much rather have him than not!

Sorry if I''ve offended you Baldyboy but as NN has pointed out you do often play the injured party on here, I seem to recall you accusing me of libel not so long ago!

Anyway back to your original post, you said that you now have no fears about Earnie leaving in the transfer window because of his performance against Tamworth. Does that not imply that you are willing to ignore his performances for the rest of the season and base your opinions on that one game?

As you''re a qualified coach why don''t you explain on here the exact aspects of Earnie''s game which make him unsuitable for the Premiership and how these differ from the strikers at most of the other Premiership clubs who would be interested in signing him (we''re probably looking at all clubs except Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal here I would suggest).

Kind Regards. Shack. (Is that polite enough?)

[quote user="Cluck"]

Oh dear....I don''t know why I try to reason with you Nutty.....but if it helps.....you''re right and I''m wrong once again and I''ll just have to try to live with it........

[/quote]

And I s''pose you''re Dad''s bigger than my Dad too!

I guess you''re not going to tell us all about Trevor Senior then.......

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Cluck"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You''re only embarrassing yourself now Nutty........

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Cluck"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

who''s Trevor Senior??? was he the Raymond De Waard of his day?

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Cluck"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

who''s Trevor Senior??? was he the Raymond De Waard of his day?

jas :)

[/quote]

As it''s you jas.....[;)]....He was a great centre forward for Reading back in the 1980s and was leading goal scorer in all divisions before moving on to Watford and Middlesborough. He completely flopped away from his level and when returning to Reading later...started banging them in for fun again.

Everyone has their level....and if they stay where they are appreciated.....they can become heroes in their own right. If Earnie stayed here with decent support up front....he could become a City legend like Iwan before him....but on promotion (ha ha)...he would have to go.

[quote user="Cluck"]

As much as I enjoy watching him...I don''t think Earnshaw is Premiership quality and at a bigger club he would live on the bench. He scores well given numerous chances each game...but in the Prem such chances are rare....and any manager would soon get frustrated with him.

Rather like Trevor Senior at Reading....he scored for fun with them (two golden boot awards)....but when he tried to move up he was a total flop. Championship is Earnie''s level and he could still make a very good living staying there

[/quote]

Tut, tut, tut Cluck... and up until now I thought that you knew your football...

oh well I suppose that we can agree toi disagree on some things hey????

Earnie is class and will score goals wherever he goes...  like I said earlier Lineker missed hat-fulls too...  didn''t make him a bad striker did it???

Players like Earnie & Lineker find the spaces that others wouldn''t... they create space for themselves and put themselves in enough goalscoring positions to allow them to get away with missing a few chances...  so many chances come their way because of their class movement and pure instinct at putting themselves in the right place at the right time!!!

yet again you cant quote me correctly! where did i say i have no fears of earnie leaving? i actually said i wouldnt pay for earny on that performance. if youre gonna uote me please do it right. anyway this is getting silly, i have my opinion and you have yours, they differ for various reasons so lets accept that we differ and get on shall we?

[quote user="baldyboy"]yet again you cant quote me correctly! where did i say i have no fears of earnie leaving? i actually said i wouldnt pay for earny on that performance. if youre gonna uote me please do it right. anyway this is getting silly, i have my opinion and you have yours, they differ for various reasons so lets accept that we differ and get on shall we?[/quote]

Hey up baldyboy.......I think you''ll find that you can type a thousand words on here....but get one wrong and you''ll get hung for it!.......It''s a form of sport for the nit pickers and I''ve actually come to quite enjoy it!......[:)]

I appreciate your even handed posts anyway mate!

[quote user="baldyboy"]yet again you cant quote me correctly! where did i say i have no fears of earnie leaving? i actually said i wouldnt pay for earny on that performance. if youre gonna uote me please do it right. anyway this is getting silly, i have my opinion and you have yours, they differ for various reasons so lets accept that we differ and get on shall we?[/quote]

Did your original post not say "he was awful and i think all fears of him leaving, me included, should be well and truly put to rest"?

I''ve no problem with us having different opinions on the issue and I''m not looking for a fight here. I''m just having a little trouble working out what your actual opinion of Earnie is!

Well cluck, at the risk of embarrassing myself further, I have vague memories of us all but signing Trevor Senior. If I am thinking of the right player, we agreed terms with his club and I believe with the player himself. He then came to watch us play, an evening match I think, and we passed the ball so well that he didn''t feel he had enough ability to play for Norwich and called off the deal. Does anyone else remember any of this?

Getting back to the original subject of this thread, would someone please explain to me how 14 goals in 20 starts including 14 as sub does not constitute being able to play at that level? It''s entirely possible that given the chance to play for a top side he could score even more prolifically but that can only be conjecture. His goals for WBA are facts though.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Well cluck, at the risk of embarrassing myself further, I have vague memories of us all but signing Trevor Senior. If I am thinking of the right player, we agreed terms with his club and I believe with the player himself. He then came to watch us play, an evening match I think, and we passed the ball so well that he didn''t feel he had enough ability to play for Norwich and called off the deal. Does anyone else remember any of this?

Getting back to the original subject of this thread, would someone please explain to me how 14 goals in 20 starts including 14 as sub does not constitute being able to play at that level? It''s entirely possible that given the chance to play for a top side he could score even more prolifically but that can only be conjecture. His goals for WBA are facts though.

[/quote]

As I''m not talking to Nutty anymore.....Would someone tell him that I have a house not more than 50 yards from the said ex-professional...and he tells a different story. He is unbelievably superstitious and will never wear green.....even now. Truly bizarre.......but true.

Could someone also tell Nutty....that Earnie is not favoured by Toshack because of the fact that he misses too many chances. Only time would prove his ability to score regularly at a higher level....and I doubt any Prem manager outside of a relegation threatened outfit would take a gamble. His 14 sub starts only proves that he is not a 90 minute player........

[;)]

[quote user="Cluck"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

As I''m not talking to Nutty anymore.....Would someone tell him that I have a house not more than 50 yards from the said ex-professional...and he tells a different story. He is unbelievably superstitious and will never wear green.....even now. Truly bizarre.......but true.

Could someone also tell Nutty....that Earnie is not favoured by Toshack because of the fact that he misses too many chances. Only time would prove his ability to score regularly at a higher level....and I doubt any Prem manager outside of a relegation threatened outfit would take a gamble. His 14 sub starts only proves that he is not a 90 minute player........

[;)]

[/quote]

That does it for me...

You really are Blanche out of Corrie!!! [;)]